A Leap on Jump Street 1: A Leap for Tom and Judy

SammieJoBeckett

Project QL Intern
May 17, 2006

A Leap on Jump Street Series
A Leap for Judy and Tom
By Heather Samantha Beckett

Disclaimer: I do not own the concept of Quantum Leap or 21 Jump Street or their characters, those solely belong to Don Belisario (Quantum Leap) and Stephen J Cannell and Patrick Hasburgh (21 Jump Street)​

Chapter 1: Another Slamerino
By now Dr Sam Beckett was quite used to the feeling of electricity flowing through his body. You would think that this would be quite painful, but in the blink of an eye the feeQuantum Leap: A Leapling of electricity flowing through Sam?s body subsides and feels to Sam like nothing more than a tickle. For the last 5 years Dr Sam Beckett has been leaping back in fourth in time putting right what once went wrong and touching many lives in the process. This was known as quantum leaping. In 1995 Dr Sam Beckett led an elite group of scientists in the middle of the desert to develop Project Quantum Leap. Sam was faced with loosing funding because no one believed Sam?s theory of life being like a piece of string, one end of the string represented a person?s life the other end death and in between both ends would be the person?s lifespan. Sam theorized that if you were to ball up the string and different parts of the string were touching each other this would give a person the ability to leap back and fourth in their own lifetime. Sam was desperate to prove his theory so he prematurely stepped into the Quantum leap accelerator and vanished. With each leap Sam?s memory becomes Swiss cheese and he looses different parts of his memory while gaining new memories at the same time. About the only thing that stays the same for Sam with each leap is his ability to communicate with Admiral Al Calavicci, the projects observer. Since Al is living in the year 2000 and is at the projects site in the middle of the desert, he appears to Sam as a hologram, and since he is tuned into Sam?s brainwaves, Sam is the only one who can see and hear him which gets Sam in some amusing situations.
Al, with the help of the super computer that Sam built named Ziggy and Al?s helper Gooshie, he is able to help Sam figure out what wrong to put right in order for Sam to leap. Sam and Al hope that one of these leaps will bring Sam back in his own time. For now Sam is like a space traveling Lone ranger with Al as his Tonto. Sam never knows who he will leap into or what year it will be. He was once leaped into an astronaut Chimp. For the most part with the occasional leap into a woman, Sam gets used to being in a another?s body.
Sam looked up to see that his hands were up in the air and he had just finished yelling, ?Another Slammerino!? to a group of fellow bowlers. Sam looked around and he knew he was definitely in a bowling ally. A feeling of dread over came Sam?s body like going for a ride on the merry- go -round after eating too much chili corndogs.
?I?m a professional bowler? Oh boy!?
The last time Sam recalled going bowling he was a JR in high school and he had been on a double date with his older brother, Tom before he was shipped off to Vietnam. Sam had went up to bowl and forgot to let go of the ball and it took him halfway down the lane. Sam was so humiliated and for the rest of the night his brother never let him live it down, and to top things off his date had fallen for the guy in the next lane who had just bowled 250 and took off with him leaving Sam alone with his brother and his brother?s date. From then on Sam vowed never to go bowling again.
From the looks of it, whoever Sam had leapt into was pretty serious about bowling, and from seeing the score card Sam could see that up until now he was bowling a perfect game. Sam breathed a sigh of relief. At least there were six other people in front of him so he could sit down and take a break and figure out how he was going to try to bowl one last strike and not go down the lane with the ball.
Sam heard a familiar whoosh sound and looked to up to see that Al had appeared through a door in midair. Sam?s hologram friend was dressed in his usual outrageous suits. This time he was wearing a black and yellow checker board suit, a yellow fedora topped his head. He took out the cigar that was always hanging out of his mouth and rested it between his fingers so he could clearly talk to Sam.
?Oh boy the joy of the ball slamming into those beautiful innocent white pins.?
Sam rolled his eyes and gave his friend a disgusted look. ?Don?t tell me, you used to be a world class bowler,? Sam guessed Sarcastically. ?Is there anything you haven?t done??
?The Queen of England,? was Al?s response.
Sam gave his friend a look of absolute distain. Sorry I asked.?
?Well to answer your question, my third no my fifth no make that my second wife got me into bowling. It seemed like bowling was the only thing besides you know What that we could do together without fighting. She made me quite the bowler.?
?I?m sure she did?
?I once bowled the perfect game. I think I kept that score card.?
?When you are finished reminiscing can you tell me what I am here to do? So I can leap out of this nightmare.?
?Hey Hanson,? an attractive black girl with long flowing locks of curls called over to Sam, ?What are you doing giving your ball a pep talk??
?Ah yea,? Sam thought fast, ?this ball of mine needs to give me one more slammerino.? Sam couldn?t believe what he was saying.
?Well when you are done it?s your turn don?t keep us waiting.?
Sam could feel the sweat dripping down his face.
?Hey man you don?t look so hot, you ok?? the oriental guy standing next to the attractive black girl asked Sam.
?Ah? Sam stammered, ?I?m ok I think I need to get a drink of water first,? Sam said quickly getting up and looking around, he ran to the nearest water fountain., leaving his teammates to wonder about their friends odd behavior.
Sam looked around to make sure no one was looking at him. ?Al you there??
?Yea Sam.? Al?s head appeared out of the side of a wall. The wall Sam could see was the side wall of the woman?s restroom.
?Al would you get your head out of the gutter and help me,? Sam said half in disgust and half in exasperation.
?Ok ok Mr. prudent prince who takes all the fun out of being a hologram.?
Sam rolled his eyes. ?Well what am I here to do??
Al took out a lit up multicolored device and hit the side of it. ?Well it seems like Ziggy thinks you are here to make sure this Kid Tom Hanson bowls to perfect game?? Al looked at the contraption oddly.
?What? What has that got to do with putting right what once went wrong? Don?t tell me let me guess, this kid made a bet with some lowlifes and if he doesn?t bowl the prefect game he?s going to get his *** kicked. Am I hot??
?Well? Al Said continuing to give his hand link a puzzled look. ?Ziggy doesn?t say anything other than that you are here to bowl the perfect game.?
?Al I can?t bowl another slammerino. I can?t even stay out of the lane. It takes everything I got to make sure the ball doesn?t take me down the lane with it.?
?Ok let me think,? Al said putting his finger on his temple. ?Ok I got it,? Al said pointing his index finger up in the air. ?Remember when you leapt in to that pool shark and Ziggy gave you laser readings of the pool tables angles and you were able to see where to hit the cue ball??
Sam shook his head. Al continued., ?what if I could get Ziggy to give you a laser reading on the lane of where to aim the bowling ball? All you got to do is let go of the ball and aim it to go right down the middle of the laser light. And Sam,?
?Yea? Sam answered his friend.
?Do remember to pull your fingers out of the ball?s holes before you release. You know that would eliminate the problem of going down the lane with the ball.?
?Ha Ha funny Al,? Sam Said taking a swipe at Al but since Al was a hologram his fist swooshed through midair at nothing.
?Hey man what is up with you?? A big guy in a ripped up jean vest and a long sleeved white shirt asked Sam as he approached him.
?Oh nothing just getting myself prepped for one more slammerino,?
?Dude you got issues, and I thought Clavo was the only one with an imaginary playmate,? the big guy said shaking his head and walking away.
Sam hadn?t the slightest idea who Clavo was but he guessed he was a child, since he had an imaginary playmate and a young child at that. He always got weird looks when he talked to Al since he was the only one who could see or hear him. Sam slowly approached the group he had been bowling with. He picked up the ball and slowly walked to the tip of the lane. He looked around in desperation. ?Come on Al,? he said to himself little too loudly.
?Hey Hanson are you such a bowling geek that you named your ball?? laughed the big guy in the ripped up jean vest.
Sam saw a laser of light shoot up the lane and all he had to do was make sure the ball went straight down the line of the laser?s light. Sam lifted the ball up and one two three he swung back and released the it. Sam was proud of himself he had remembered to pull his fingers out of the holes.
The ball shot down the middle of the laser light?s line straight down the middle. Sam hoped he hadn?t thrown the ball too hard. Sam closed his eyes and hoped for the best. He suddenly heard the attractive black lady with long curly hair scream and rushed towards him she threw her arms around Sam and gave him a kiss on the cheek., ?you did it you won the tournament!? Sam opened his eyes. He had gotten a strike all the pins were lying on their sides, not one was left sitting up. Sam pumped his fists in the air and screamed, ?another Slammerino!? expecting to leap at any moment but he just remained there with his hands in the air. Sam looked around for Al, he caught him by the woman?s bathroom peeking his head in and out of the wall.
Sam rolled his eyes and excused himself to use the bathroom. ?Al would you quit being a pervert for once in your life and help me.?
?Nothing better than a public woman?s bathroom. That?s where you hear all their secretes, the key to unlocking the woman?s psyche.?
?Al I?m going in here,? Sam said pointing to the men?s bathroom, ?the only thing you will be unlocking will be the mystery of why I?m really here.?
Sam locked the door so that no one could get in and see him talking to himself. ?Ok Al what?s Ziggy got? Why am I really here??
?Ziggy doesn?t know yet.. He had a slight malfunction this morning that?s the only reason I can think of for him giving you false leap information.?
?Yea well I knew it was too good to be true that I?d leap so fast. ?
?The only thing Ziggy can come up with is that in the next week or so Tom Hanson the guy you leapt into will loose his Job and spend the rest of his life being a rent-a-cop and lead a miserable single life.?
?So what?s wrong with being a rent-a-cop? it?s a decent job.?
?Not when you get thrown off the police force.?
Sam looked in the mirror, he saw a young looking man with dark hair in a kind of punk spike style. ?This guy used is a cop?? Sam said in astonishment staring at the reflection that was looking back at him. ?He still looks like he?s in high school.?
?He?s with an undercover unit that primarily goes undercover in high? high? Al hit the side of his multi colored contraption, ?schools, high schools. The idea behind the program is they get young looking officers too young looking to be taken seriously as real cops and they put them undercover in various high schools to bust young offenders before they commit the big crimes when they are adults.?
?Well I guess then being a rent-a-cop after being a real one would be a low blow,? Sam said feeling sorry for the real Tom Hanson.
?I don?t know how he looses his job, all Ziggy can come up with is that there is some sort of violence involved and that another officer is seriously hurt or killed. Ziggy has reason to believe the officer who is hurt or killed is a female officer.?
Sam?s heart sank.

A Leap on Jump Street chapter 2

Quantum Leap: A Leap on Jump Street Series
A Leap for Judy and Tom
Disclaimer: I do not own the concept of Quantum Leap or 21 Jump Street or their characters, those solely belong to Don Belisario (Quantum Leap) and Stephen J Cannell and Patrick Hasburgh (21 Jump Street)​
Chapter 2: Return of the Prep
Sam had a sinking feeling who the female officer was. He figured it was the attractive black woman with the oversized off the shoulders pink sweater and denim jacket. She also had on tight rolled jeans, slouch socks, and hot pink high-tops. By the way the woman was dressed Sam figured he was sometime in the eighties.
?Ok all I need to do now is figure out where I live and how to get to work tomorrow. So what year am I in Al??
Al looked at his multicolored hand link and punched in some buttons. ?Ok you are officer Tom Hanson and you live in Metroville, New Jersey and it is Sunday March 1, 1990.?
?How do I get home??
?Maybe you?ll get lucky and you will be dating that bodacious babe with the cute tight??
?Al don?t say it,? Said Sam interrupting Al. He knew how Al?s perverted mind often worked.
?Jeans. Tight Jeans. You think you know me so well,? Al continued trying to prove to Sam that he had just thought the wrong idea. Of course Al knew he had a perverted mind. He just didn?t like Sam thinking that all he thought about was sex because he often wanted Sam?s respect. Al walked through the bathroom wall and stared at Judy. Sam walked out of the bathroom the normal way since he wasn?t a hologram. He may have often wanted Sam?s respect but he also loved getting a rise out of Sam. ?Who knows maybe you guys are living together and she is going to take you home so you can do the vertical tango.?
Sam shot Al a dirty look. ?Is sex all you think about??
Al gave Sam a sheepish grin and was about to answer Sam but he answered for him instead. ?Don?t answer that.?
Al threw his hands up in the air and tried to put on his most innocent expression, ?What??
?Ah yea especially when you get dumped by your girlfriend and you been single for a year and haven?t had any in a long time,? the big guy in the ripped at the sleeves jean shirt said to Sam as he approached him. He figured Sam was talking to him since he couldn?t see Al.
?Right,? Said Sam.
?Ok Pal you ready??
?Ready for what?? Sam asked his the big guy who was giving him a quizzical look.
?What do you mean ready for what?? The big guy said playfully punching Sam?s arm. ?Your mustang is in the shop and I gave you a ride in the pickup . I?m taking you home and tomorrow I?m giving you a ride to work. You do know the place? The place where you go to earn a living??
?Ah yea I know dude. Thanks for the lift man.? Sam said trying his best to sound like a young punk. Was he a punk? From the reflection in the mirror it would appear so, but Sam just couldn?t fathom the idea of a police officers looking like hoodlums. Then again didn?t Al say something about these cops going undercover in high schools? So maybe Tom was just getting off a case when he and his friends went to the bowling tournament.
About half an hour later the big guy?s yellow pick up pulled up to nice a nice looking apartment complex. Sam was quite impressed with Tom?s apartment. It was small but it was quaint and it gave off a feeling of warmth. Sam figured Tom?s apartment was going to be like most bachelors pads, full of dirty dishes in the sink, and clothes and empty pizza boxes on the floor, but Tom?s apartment was neat and organized. Sam chuckled to himself. He remembered his first bachelor?s pad, back at his MIT days. His place looked like a mad scientists lab and a regular bachelors pad full of dishes in the sink and instead of pizza boxes all over the floor it was usually empty Chinese take out boxes.
Sam picked up a photo on Tom?s dresser. It was a photo of a teenage Tom and a man in a police uniform was standing next to him with his arm around his shoulder. This must have been tom?s father Sam figured. Tom looked at a line of photos on Top of Tom?s entertainment center in Tom?s living room. The big guy who had given him a ride home, the attractive black woman, the oriental guy, a skinny guy with an afro of black hair and glasses, and an older black gentlemen were in all of the photos. These must have been Tom?s fellow officers and more than likely his best friends. They were probably like family to him.
Sam heard the usual swoosh and electronic beeps that followed.
?Oh good you found out where you live,? came Sam?s greeting.
?Yea I got a ride home with this guy,? Sam said pointing to the picture of the guy who had given him a ride home.
?Yea that is your best friend and fellow Officer, Doug Penhall The attractive black woman is Officer Judy Hoffs, the oriental guy or rather Vietnamese guy is Officer H.T. Ioki, and the older black gentleman is their captain Adam Fuller.?
?Quite a close knot bunch from what I can see, said Sam. ?Did Ziggy find out why I am here??
?Ziggy says that there is a 90.5 chance that you are to not get fired from the police force for?? Al?s voice trailed off and he had a look of concern on his face.
?What Al?? Sam said anxiously, ?what did he get fired for??
?He got fired for killing a prime suspect in a case he and Miss Hoffs were on. History says that he shot the unarmed suspect but Ziggy can?t yet tell me why or what the case was about but we still have reason to believe that Miss Hoffs is seriously injured.?
Sam?s heart sank. The thought of that beautiful woman being seriously hurt was more than he could bear. Sam shook his head like he was trying to sake off a bad feeling. He had hardly met this woman and already he was developing feelings for her? This couldn?t be right. Was it possible? Sam didn?t believe in love at first sight. Maybe it could have been that fact that Judy Hoffs was so beautiful how could any man not be mesmerized in her presence?
?Well in any case stick to Miss Hoffs as close as possible.? Al said breaking Sam?s trance and bringing him back down to earth. ?In the original history Miss Hoffs was forced to retire from the force when she was injured and spent the rest of her life in an unhappy marriage and in 2006 at the age of 41 she commits suicide and officer Tom Hanson spend the next 20 years in the pen but gets off in 10 for good behavior and evidence that he may have shot the suspect in self defense, but his life is already ruined and he takes a job as a rent-a-cop, and after hearing the news of Judy?s suicide he himself commits suicide. The loss of these 2 fine officers causes the undercover program to loose funding and shut down and in the next 20 years the crimes involving teenagers soars, plus the officers involved in the program never get taken seriously and they all end up with boring desk jobs.?
?Wow it looks like I got my work cut out for me. I can?t believe that one act of violence could have such an impact and ruin so many lives. That?s why I am a pacifist.? Sam said looking up at the clock on the living room wall. ?Well Al I got to get to bed. Doug will be here in 6 hours to take me to work. Oh boy.?
?Well pacifist or not you are a cop and you are going to have to act like it even if that means getting violent you think that a young criminal is going to take it easy on you cause you are all into peace and love? This isn?t the 60?s Sam?
?I know Al I?ll do my best that?s all we I can do and hope for the best.?
?And I will help you as much as possible. I?m going now I will work with Ziggy so we can get you more info.? Al pressed some buttons on his hand link and a door appeared in midair and Al disappeared through it.
Before Sam knew it Penhall was ready to pick him up and take him to work. Penhall?s pick up pulled up to old an looking run down chapel on the corners of 8th and Jump Streert. Were he and Penhall supposed to be here? This seemed like the kind of place criminals would hang out. Sam found himself in an ally a dingy ally at that and the chapel seemd to Sam to be a perfect hideout for dope dealers. Sam lookd at the chapel apprehensively. Al hadn?t prepared him for this. If he was on a case he figured that he would have gotten prepped ahead of time by his captain. Maybe he was on an unfinished case from before he leaped. Sam now wished he hadn?t worn kahkis, a sweater vest, and had his hair neatly combed over to the side. He had seen photos of Tom dressed like this and figured this is how Tom dressed when he wasn?t undercover, and Sam wanted to make a good impression at work for Tom?s sake. He didn?t want o come across too weird so that no one could suspect that there was something definitely different about Tom Hanson.
?What? are you just going to stare at the door?? Doug said pointing to the front door of the chapel. ?What did you get in trouble with Fuller and now you are afraid to go into work this morning? The perfect Tom Hanson in trouble? OHHHHH what did you do??
Swoosh beep beep beep. ?Oh yea Sam this is Jump Street Headquarters. The Program is called 21 Jump Street. It is at this old abandoned chapel so their location can remained undisclosed.?
Sam looked up at Al, ?Oh is that it? And for a second I thought I was undercover and on a drug bust, and look at how I am dressed, I stick out like a sore thumb so much for being good at my job.?
?Well Tom you have always been a goody goody nerd and you do need a new wardrobe, but what in Zeus?s but hole were you thinking we were doing here? You really thought we were on a drug bust? What are you going to do bust Ioki for taking his daily pain pill? It isn?t his fault he got shot and has to take a daily dose of pain killers.?
?Oh no,? Sam thought real fast, ?I was just thinking out loud of what kind of assignment the captain will give us today.?
?Good save Sam,? Said Al.
?Well whatever kind of assignment we get I hope I get to sit behind a desk today. Last night while I was at the tournament with you the dumb *** babysitter decided to let Clavo watch elm street and he stayed up all night hiding under the covers in my bed. I didn?t get a wink of sleep.?
Sam couldn?t imagine Doug Penhall being a father, but he dare say nothing because he was afraid Doug would get suspicious.
?Hey wait a minuet, aren?t you still on that preppy case?? Doug said after a minuet.
Sam looked at Doug uncomfortably. ?I don?t know? he said, entering the chapel as quickly as possible He was quite impressed with the operation. Everyone had their own little cubical with a desk and there were a few video arcades in one end of the room and a pool table and ping pong table at the other end. The place reminded Sam of some fun hang out club rather than a police headquarters, and most of the officers were dressed in wild outfits and reminded Sam of teenagers, but then again that was the general idea. Sam looked around for Tom?s desk. He saw an unorganized desk topped with a few pizza boxes and a picture of an attractive Latin woman. There was a punching bag beside it. This defiantly wasn?t Tom?s desk it was far too messy. Sam finally spotted Tom?s desk because there was a name tag on it that read Tom Hanson. Sam made his way towards the desk and when he arrived he took a seat at it.
Sam looked around some more he saw a large room off to the side with a desk, this must have been the captain?s office and sure enough the older black gentlemen from Tom?s photos emerged from the desk and entered the main room of activity. Sam saw the skinny guy with an afro of dark curls and glasses on a ladder changing a light bulb. He was wearing coveralls. Was this guy going undercover as a janitor? Sam assumed he was a fellow officer.
?Hey blowfish I?m in need of a good laugh,? an officer said to the janitor.
Blowfish what kind of name was that? Sam thought to himself. Poor guy his parents must have been stoned hippies to give their kid a name like that.
The afro topped guy walked over to the near by janitor?s closet.
So he is a janitor. Thought Sam. Wonder what his real name is.
The janitor took out a square piece of glass from his closet and put his face on it and took a big blow his mouth was wide open and his cheeks puffed out like balloon.
Wow he really does look like a blowfish, thought Sam chuckling.
?Sal quick playing and get to work,? Fuller said and he turned to Sam looking him up and down.
From the look on Fuller?s face Sam could tell that Fuller was impressed. He turned to face the other officers. ?Is Hanson the only one who knows how to dress the part for an assignment??
?He?s not dressed for an assignment,? Penhall said his mouth full of cold pizza. ?It?s return of the prep. This is how Hanson loves to dress.?
?This is how Sam loves to dress too captain. He?s a total geek,? Al said suddenly appearing besides Sam?s desk.
?What are you doing here?? Sam asked Al in an annoyed tone of voice.
?Um I work here,? Said Judy giving Sam a weird look.
?Hey Hanson is it return of the Jack F Kennedy haircut, too?? Ioki snickered.
?Well I don?t care what you guys think I think he looks quite handsome,? said Judy. She too was dressed preppy in a kaki knee length skirt and whit polo shirt with a suede black blazer.
?You would,? said Penhall rolling his eyes.
?Ahem.? Fuller cleared his throat interrupting the current topic of conversation.
?No matter how you normally dress, Hanson you and Hoffs are dressed for your assignment. You two are still undercover as a preppy couple at Jackson high. Another girl was found attacked in the girl?s bathroom Friday. She was found by the janitor after school. She was beat pretty bad. She is still unconscious at Mercy Hospital. I want you to get in with these preps and find out what they know. Word has it that this girl was in with the preps just like all the other girls who have been found attacked.?
Sam blew a sigh of relief he was glad to be working with Hoffs at least she knew the way to the school.
?Ioki,? Fuller said turning to the Vietnamese, ?you are still at Liberty and I want you to stay close to Marcus Street and see if he lets anything slip about where the jocks are getting the steroids, Penhall you are on desk duty.?
?YES? Penhall screamed loudly and pumped his fists in the air in victory.
Fuller shot him a look, and Doug hung his head and quickly immersed himself in paper work.
Sam and Al went outside. Sam followed Hoffs to her red tracker. Soon they were off to Jackson High to play preppy boyfriend/girlfriend. Al walked through Judy?s tracker and pretended to take a seat in the back behind Sam.
?Oh this will be fun,? Sam said to himself.
?I got to see this ,? Said Al.

A leap On Jump Street Chapter 3

Quantum Leap: A Leap on Jump Street Series
A Leap for Judy and Tom
Chapter 3: A Good Analysis
On the way to Jackson High Hoffs went over the assignment again with ?Hanson,? much to Sam?s relief.
?Ok how are we going to do this? Are you still sticking with Chadwick??
?Uh Chadwick?? Sam asked like he hadn?t a clue what Hoffs was talking about.
?Oh Sam Clayton Chadwick is a kid you are pretending to be friends so you could investigate him, he?s kind of the preppy leader,? Al said reading off the info from Ziggy to Sam.
?Oh Clayton Chadwick yea,? Sam said to answer Judy?s question.
?Well you said that you have seen him hanging around the girls bathroom a lot lately,? said Judy.
?Well I don?t know anything yet he?s tight lipped but I?m still sticking to him like glue,? said Sam trying to think of a way to explain to Judy that he did know what he was doing on the case.
?OK we are still going to hold hands right?? Judy ask turning her head too look at Sam.
?OH boy holding hands first base wonder if you?ll reach home plate with her,? Al said looking down Judy?s shirt.
Sam shot Al a dirty look, ?Al will you stop looking down her shirt??
?Looking down my shirt Hanson? Wow and I thought Penhall was the only pervert on Jump Street.?
?OH no I wasn?t talking about you,? Sam said shifting uncomfortably in his seat. ?I was just uh I don?t know what I was thinking.?
?oh real good save Sam,? Al said sarcastically.
?Well whatever. Tom, at lunch we really need to get in an argument over the themes of The Lord of The Rings since we are both in the same English class and the Fellowship of the Rings is the book we are currently reading.?
Sam chuckled to himself, the last time he remembered reading The Hobbit ands the Lord of The Rings Trilogy he was at MIT. Even with being a gifted quantum physicist and holding 6 PhDs literature just wasn?t one of them. He remembered the time he leapt into an English Lit Professor, now that leap was uncomfortable, even though he did help his future wife patch up a broken relationship with her father and they wouldn?t even meet until 6 years later! For some reason though, Sam remembered being a big fan of Tolkein.
?Anyway ,? Judy continued, ?I?m hoping the preps will see us arguing over literature and invite us into their little club. I figure they?ll talk more when they re all together and maybe let something slip on the attacks.?
?Sounds good to me I just hope I don?t get beat up today,? said Sam.
?Why do you say that?? Judy asked.
?Well last time I was in high school for real the smart guys got beat up. Trust me I should know I was a science geek, and you don?t breeze through 4 years of MIT in just 2 and not get beat up,? Sam was obviously talking about his own days at high school, but by seeing the look on Judy?s face he knew he hadn?t said the right thing. Guess Tom wasn?t as geeky as Sam was in high school and how could be unless he had a perfect IQ of 200 and had a photographic memory and gotten a prefect score of 1600 on his SATS.
?Sam you said too much,? said AL.
?Well,? said Sam thinking fast, I meant my cousin did that he was a real geek and I used to be the one who beat him up.?
?Really?? Judy sounded impressed,. ?Hanson the rebel, well I don?t think you will have to worry about that here.? Judy shook her head. ?Beating your smart cousin up really.?
?Why wouldn?t I have to worry about getting beat up here?? Sam asked.
?Oh well because the preps are the popular ones for some odd reason. This isn?t our normal hoodlum infested school which makes this a tough case because right now everyone?s a suspect.?
?She?s sort of right Sam,? Said Al popping his head between the front seat and when Sam turned to look at Al he was startled because when he did turn to talk to Al, Al?s face went right through his head.
Al laughed he loved teasing Sam like this.
Sam had almost jumped out of his skin needless to say he was not amused by Al?s antics.
?I hate it when you do that,? Sam nearly screamed at Al.
?Do what?? Judy asked.
?Ah smack your lips like that,? Sam thought quickly.
?Smack my ?you? lips?? Judy and Al said at the same time.
Sam shot Al a look of well could you think of something better to say?
?Well you do smack your lips you may not realize it but you do but sometimes its kinda sexy.?
Judy flashed Sam a beautiful smile. ?Really Hanson? That?s the nicest thing you ever said to me.?
?Oh isn?t this sweet a Kodak moment wait let me get my camera,? said Al pretending to take a snapshot of Sam and Judy with his hands.
Sam turned his head and put his hand over his mouth and talked out of the side of it so Judy couldn?t see his lips moving when he was talking to Al.
?AL you got anything on Judy?s attacker yet??
Al took out his multicolored hand link and punched in some buttons and hot it on the side a few times. ?Ziggy says it?s definitely someone from this case, someone from Jackson High, but we don?t have any names yet. Judy?s right anyone could be a suspect since?..? Al?s voice trailed off.
Sam followed his gaze. The car had stopped and Sam noticed a flood of preppies walking across a big lawn to the front steps of the school.
?Good golly Miss Molly, I haven?t seen this many preppies since going to the catholic school when my sister and I were at the orphanage and of course when I myself went to MIT,? Al said still looking at all the kids at Jackson High make their way to the front of the school. ?I?m going to go check back with Ziggy when I find out anything you will be the first to know,? having said that AL pressed a few buttons on his hand link and a door appeared out of thin air and Al disappeared behind it.
?Al I can?t protect her the whole day. I can?t follow her to every class. Tom?s got his own schedule,? Sam said turning to face Al when he noticed that for the first time since he started leaping, he knew what it must have looked like to other people when he talked to Al, like talking to thin air.
?Well that?s very sweet of you Hanson.? Judy said thinking Sam was talking to her. ?It?s good to know that chivalry isn?t a thing of the past, but you know I am a though girl and I can take care of myself.?
Sam smiled at Judy. How could you not admire this woman? Sam thought to himself. ?Yes you?re right but I still worry about you thought.?
?Well for now you can be my knight in shining armor. Shall we?? Judy linked her arm at Sam?s elbow and they walked together to the front of the school looking like a cozy couple.
Sam had more fun going back to school then he expected. He tended to show off in his calculus and physics classes, after all he was a gifted Nobel Prize winning scientist and a doctor to boot. He especially liked his advanced German class. The class was called advanced German because there wasn?t any English spoken in the class whatsoever and since he was fluent in many languages, Sam had no problem at all keeping up with what the teacher was saying and answering all her questions in fluent German.
Sam caught the attention of a tall skinny guy who always sat in the front of the class, he was wearing kakis, a blue polo shirt, and had a white long sleeve sweater draped over his shoulders and the sleeves tied around his neck. He reminded Sam of someone one who belonged at a country club.
Whoever the guy was he seemed to have know Sam, well Tom, because he kept giving him thumbs up all through Sam?s classes.
The skinny guy approached Sam after German class who was walking down the hall to meet Hoffs so she could show him where their English classroom was.
?Hey Hamilton, you are on a roll today,? The skinny guy licked his finger and touched Sam?s arm and made a sizzling sound, ?oh the man is hot.?
?Well you know I am MIT bound,? Sam said laughing nervously and looking down the hall for Hoffs. He was about to blow Tom?s cover by asking the skinny guy why he called him Hamilton when Tom?s last name was Hanson. Then he remembered that Tom was undercover at the high school and more than likely he wouldn?t be using Tom?s real name. ?And you are?? Sam asked turning to face the skinny guy.
?Well you have only been hanging with me for the last month since you transferred in and you forgot my name??
?AH UH,? Sam stammered, but he was rescued by his approaching partner.
?Hey Clayton hey Tom,? Judy said grabbing Sam?s hand. ?Are you ready for English class sweetie??
?Ah yea let?s go cookielips,? Sam said walking down the hall with Judy as quickly as possible so he wouldn?t have to explain to Clayton why he forgot who he was.. Too sooth things over and to help get a move on the case, Sam said over his shoulder, ?Hey Clayton how about we meet and talk at lunch about MIT??
?That is if you keep on the same roll,? Clayton said back.
Sam laughed. Judy gave him a quizzical look, ?what was that all about??
?Oh nothing I just showed off in a few classes and let?s just say that Clayton was quite impressed with me and I wouldn?t be surprised if we had VIP passes to his lunch table.?
?Well I wouldn?t be so sure of that yet. We got to impress his girlfriend too. She?s also in our English class. Maybe you will have better luck with her because I sure as hell couldn?t get anything out of her, and she like never has to go to the bathroom, she?s got a bladder of steel that one, so she probably hasn?t heard much about the attacks if she never goes to the bathroom girls do tell a lot of secretes in there,? Said Judy.
?So how many girls have been found attacked in the bathrooms?? Sam asked Judy.
?Tom,? Judy sighed, ?weren?t you paying any attention to Fuller when he prepped you on the assignment? I expect that kind of thing from Penhall but not from you Mr. I?m a real cop let?s play everything by the books.?
Before Sam could answer, Judy continued, ?5 girls in the past 5 weeks have been found beaten up in the girls bathroom. 2 of them are still in the hospital and one of them is in a coma because she suffered a big blow to the head when her head was bashed against the sink. That is one girl a week. So far no girls have been attacked this week but it?s only Monday.?
Sam and Judy approached their English classroom and when they entered they took their seats. Sam sat in the back just in case Al appeared suddenly to give him news then he could try to talk to him without anyone noticing. Judy decided to sit up front next to a girl with long curly red hair.
It happened to be a lecture day, meaning that the teacher was going to spend the whole time lecturing on the latest reading segment of The Fellowship of the Ring. Sam was looking forward to the lecture but he didn?t get to hear the beginning of it because her heard that familiar swooshing sound and the electronic beeps that followed. Sam looked up and saw the door appear out of thin air and Al walked out of it dressed in purple slacks, a green shirt and purple vest, and a purple blazer. He was wearing his usual hat this time it was purple to match his suit. He had on a purple and green stripped tie.
Al stood next to Sam since he was a hologram and he couldn?t sit in the empty seat next to Sam because he would have fallen right through it.
Sam cupped his hand over his mouth and turned his head slightly to talk to Al.
?Ok what have you got for me Al??
Al pressed some buttons on his hand link. ?Ziggy says two days from now a Michelle Carpenter is found dead in the teachers lounge bathroom.?
?What? Sam said shaking his head. ?No Al. The captain said that all the girls that have been attacked have been found in the girls bathroom and there have not been any casualties.?
?I don?t know Sam. All I know is that Ziggy says Michelle Carpenter is found strangled to death on Wed Mar 4, 1990 in the teacher lounges bathroom. Ziggy says a teacher found her at noon and she had been dead for some time so it happened sometime in the morning.?
?Excuse me Mr. Hamilton is there is something you want to share with the class?? the teacher asked looking Sam straight in the eye.
?Huh??
The teacher continued, ?there must be something else more important on your mind then Tolkein.? The teacher was walking up and down the classroom isles as she continued her rebuke., ?please refresh our memories and tell me what you think Gandalf meant when he said Gollum may have yet some part to play for good or ill. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many.?
?Boy that?s a lot to swallow,? Al said to Sam.
The students all around Sam snickered they loved it when the teacher put one of them in the hot seat.
?Well let me see where should I start,? said Sam standing up. ?Let?s start with Tolkein?s first work the Hobbit. In the Hobbit Bilbo could have easily killed Gollum because he had the ring in his pocket, the ring he found in Gollum?s cave, and since the ring made Bilbo invisible he could have snuck up on Gollum and killed him and he would have been right in doing so, because Gollum had planned to kill him not let him go as he had promised if he had lost the riddle game. Gollum had planned to take his ring and sneak up on Bilbo and kill him but he couldn?t find his ring Bilbo had taken it. Bilbo had pity on Gollum and mercy on him and just left him alone instead of killing him when he had the chance. Flash forward 61 years later to the Fellowship of the Ring. Frodo had told Gandalf it was a pity Bilbo didn?t kill Gollum when he had the chance and Gandalf had rebuked him saying don?t be so quick to pass death and judgment because we have no right so do so because before this was all over, Gandalf felt that Gollum may have yet a part to play for good or ill in the fate of the ring.?
?And what do you think Gandalf meant when he said that? It is easy to tell me what you read in the book over the weekend, it is another to make a good analysis and you were too busy talking to yourself or whatever you were doing to pay attention to my lecture on this very subject,? The teacher said challenging Sam.
?Flash Forward to a year later in Return of the King. Sam and Frodo reach Mount Doom Frodo is about to cast the ring in the very cracks of Mount Doom but the ring has corrupted him and he refuses to destroy the ring. He wants to keep it for himself but that would be a disaster because too many good lives are at stake if he doesn?t destroy the ring, but Gollum attacks him and chews his finger off and finally gets it. He is too busy jumping for joy he just simply trips and falls into the cracks of Mount Doom along with the ring. So the point is if Bilbo had killed Gollum 62 years before then Gollum would not have been around to chew the ring off Frodo?s finger and fall into Mount Doom with the Ring. Frodo would have still had the ring and Middle Earth would have been destroyed and Frodo?s mission would have been a failure. Now for the real life analysis.? Sam took a deep breath. He could tell he had the teacher?s full attention and all the students were staring at him wide eyed. The girl with the long curly red hair sitting next to Judy gave Sam a thumbs up and there was a look of amused shock on Judy?s face.
Sam continued, ?Well it seems like at times there is no justice when bad things happen to us like let?s say for example a crime is committed against you and the criminal gets away. It isn?t up to us to take justice in our own hands by committing a crime then we are no better then the criminal who victimized us. If you let time have it?s way justice will usually prevail.?
A long silence filled the room. Then the class errupted with applause. Sam sat down smiling he was quite proud of himself. He done Tom good.
?Well it looks like you done a lot more than your homework,? said the teacher breaking the silence. ?I did not know you read all of Tolkein?s books I am impressed Mr. Hamilton.?
A modestly wide grin spread across Sam?s face. ?Well I have been reading them once a year for the last 20 years.?
?SAM!? Al said warningly.
Judy, the teacher, and all the students stared at Sam.
?OH well I meant 10 years,? Sam said correcting himself. Of course to these kids and the teacher Tom Hanson was just 16 or 17 and 21 in real life, well you do the math. ?Well I did start young in life.?
?Well that was a very good analysis and I am sorry if I underestimated you, the teacher apologized to Sam.
?No problemo,? said Sam.
?Too bad you have ruined the whole series for those of us who have not read it,? The teacher said in a snotty tone.
?Oh pooh that was just brilliant no matter what that old bity says,? The girl with the red hair said to Sam after class had ended . ?I?m Michelle,? The girl said extending her hand to Sam, ?Clayton tells me you are quite the genius and that you are MIT bound I think that?s just totally awesome like you know.?
?Well thank you,? said Sam shaking Michelle?s hand. He hadn?t heard a girl talk with the valley accent for ages. ?I am Tom and like that girl you know like over there is my girlfriend Judy like you know,? Sam said pointing to Judy.
Michelle laughed like a heyena. ?Oh I know her,? said Michelle looking over her shoulder at Judy giving her a snooty look. She turned back to Sam, ?Clayton tells me that he thinks you would be a great asset to out little lunch powwow sessions. I don?t know that I am MIT bound I am more of a Harvard girl myself and Clayton got accepted into Yale. Well I?d say that you definitely earned the right to sit with us at lunch. We only invite people into out little clique who are really serious about higher education.?
?Well Sam is definitely serious about higher education just ask him about his 6 PhDs.,? Al said floating behind Sam.
Sam rolled his eyes. ?So can Judy sit with us too??
?Only if she remains quiet. She doesn?t strike me as the smart type,? Michelle said turning her head to look Judy up and down.
?Well I think I can arrange that.?
?Oh boy I can Smell a cat fight,? Said Al excitedly.
Sam stepped back to talk to Judy. He explained to her about his and Michelle?s conversation and about lunch.
By the look on Judy?s face, Sam could tell she was highly offended.
?AH,? scoffed Judy, ?I am the only one on Jump Street with a college degree and I am the only one who passed the detectives exam and made detective. Not smart my ***.?
?Hey I am not the one who said it I was just playing along,? Sam said defending himself.
?So when did you get so smart anyway,? Judy said changing the subject and playfully punching Sam in the arm.
?Beats the hell out of me.?
?MIT? Well you are aiming high don?t you think Hanson??
?Well I am just going above and beyond the call of duty. Fuller wanted me to be a prep so I am a prep.?
?He said prep Hanson not nerd,? laughed Judy.
?She?s got a point there Sam,? Al said still floating behind Sam.
?Don?t you got to be somewhere?? he shot at Al.
?Hanson silly I am going to lunch with you remember honeybuns?? Judy said grabbing Sam?s hand all of the suddenly.
?I don?t know if I want to eat lunch with someone who calls me a nerd sweetie sugar pumpkin pie?
What the hell did I just say?