Thingamajigs

Orianna

Project QL Intern
Oct 9, 2006
Tennessee
I'm in the process of writing a sequel to my QL novella. It was finished, but then I decided to add a flashback scene of "life at the Project". So, I find myself needing some terminology. Did they ever establish the names of certain things... like the colorful block table in the control room, and the actual blocks on the table? Did they ever hint at what these things did, other than glow in the dark and shoot light beams out when Sam leaps?

Now that I know there's a community again, I'll be sure to check back as my writing progresses, for help and advice! :D

Orianna said:
I'm in the process of writing a sequel to my QL novella. It was finished, but then I decided to add a flashback scene of "life at the Project". So, I find myself needing some terminology. Did they ever establish the names of certain things... like the colorful block table in the control room, and the actual blocks on the table? Did they ever hint at what these things did, other than glow in the dark and shoot light beams out when Sam leaps?

Now that I know there's a community again, I'll be sure to check back as my writing progresses, for help and advice! :D

No names mentioned. Personally, I refer to it as the PQL Control Room Console. It's a larger version of the handlink (which also stores and charges them), and I suspect that it functions as the "keyboard" to the entire Project. I believe data can be stored through it into Ziggy. Not much, but I hope that helps a little.

I was calling it the control room table too! Console sounds much better, thank you. :D

And the colored cubes are just... boxes? Of some sort? I'll make something up, I suppose. I'm just not good at technical details.

I'd say that the coloured magic-cubes that shine so bright are probably like extra memory that can be u-s-b'd onto the console for extra storage - Sam did a lot of leaps in 5 years (and beyond!) and they would have had to have mass memory for all the data.

Or you know they might just be there to look pretty.

Hey, maybe they're part of an elaborate game to keep the people from getting bored while waiting for Sam to leap. You know, that game where the different colors light up in sequence and you have to press on them in the same order, and the computer keeps adding more and more until it's so hard that you can't remember them all. :D

HologramIAm said:
I believe Gooshie and Tina might have referred to it as "bed" a time or two, heh heh :)

I don't think it would be possible to lock the Admiral out of the Control Room, so this seems like a bad idea. Not to mention uncomfortable. :p

Snish

Yes, let's not go there.... (ewwww!)

Another question. Did they ever show or say, or has anyone any educated guesses, how the "gummi bear" handlink works? I know there are dots that could be pressed for a keypad, but what about a display? How does Al know what Ziggy's saying? On the earlier "calculator" styled handlinks, you could see a place where words scrolled across, but I never noticed anything like that on the later handlink.

I'm writing a scene where Al is presented with the new colorful handlink, so any information on how it works would be greatly appreciated! If need be, I'll have Gooshie gloss over how it works, but I'd love to be able to explain it in detail. Facts or theories are welcome. :D

At one point, I postulated that the handlink projects an image which only Al can see, but then in a few episodes, Al shows the handlink to Sam to verify a fact and Sam nods.

So really, we don't know. QL is a Drama with Sci-Fi elements, not a Sci-Fi show with Drama elements, so continuity problems and questions about how the technology works will popup until the end of time. :)

The biggest continuity problem for me is in Good Morning Peoria and Future Boy, Al twice witnesses (and comments) on himself or someone else leaping. Then in Mirror Image, he as "no clue" what leaping looks like.