Old 01-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #51
Don Quixote
Imaging Chamber Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBeckettfann
mirror images? thats an interesting way to put it, although i don't think that's exactly how it works? but i dont know.
Yeah like in theology where you can't define one without reference to the other. Light and dark, yin and yang etc.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:14 PM   #52
McDuck
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBeckettfann
cool, isn't C.S Lewis the author of The Cronicals of Narnia? i have not reas those books excpet the first like five chapters of the first one.

and thanks for the compliment.

Yes, C S Lewis did write the Chronicles of Narnia as well as the Space Trilogy and many other writings both fictional and non-. He's one of my favorite authors.

When I was in college I learned that the Chronicles of Narnia were an allegory and re-read them looking for all the clues. I hadn't read them since I was a kid and it was a fascinating re-discovery!

In the context of this thread I again have to highly recommend The Screwtape Letters.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #53
LadyKayoss
Observer's Aid

Interesting discussion! I personally believe in the 'Leap reset' theory, rather than it all being some kind of dream. And, fortunately, no one gave away the ending of this episode to me, so it freaked me out when the twist was revealed. I'd noticed that Al was acting a little funny in that he was totally worthless at telling Sam what was going on, and in his unusual insistence that the woman was responsible (when Al usually always defends the women) but I was still shocked, and a little unnerved. Dean played the demonic role far too well; it's the wheezing laugh that really gets to me.

And I'm only bringing this up now because I had a creepy B**giem*an experience last night. I had decided to stay up late watching various creepy episodes from different shows, and had just finished watching 'A Portrait for Troian' and was ready for the infamous Halloween Episode. It was 1:13AM, and I had just pulled out the slipcase containing this episode when my phone rang. Now, I don't know anyone who'd call me that late at night, so I let the answering machine pick it up. There was a burst of static, then dead silence until my answering machine beeped as it stopped recording. But when I checked, the machine hadn't recorded anything; it insisted I had no messages. Usually, the only way not to leave something on my machine is to hang up before the machine picks up, or to hang up during the recorded message, and neither of these actions has the same effect as what happened last night. The machine should have recorded something. But... it didn't. So I glanced between the DVD in my hand and the strangely empty answering machine and, being the brave soul that I am, decided that maybe, just maybe, I didn't want to watch that particular episode after all...

I'm just glad I hadn't been watching something like The Ring at the time; I'd've probably had a heart attack or something.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #54
LadyKayoss
Observer's Aid

My answering machine records dial tones and tells me I have a message when it does. This was absolutely nothing, and, according to my answering machine, it didn't happen.

*grins* I know, I know, I'm getting worked up over nothing, but it was one in the morning - and the timing was eerie.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #55
McDuck
Junior Leaper

Not just 1 AM but 1:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:41 PM   #56
Al The Observer
Observer's Aid

Which, if it were PM, would be 13:13!
Old 02-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #57
Dman176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al The Observer
Which, if it were PM, would be 13:13!
Okay, I'll admit... that's a bit FREAKY!!!

Damon
Old 02-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #58
Samantha Beckett
Project Observer

LOL *hums Twilight Zone theme*...

Strange things happened after I saw Boogiem*n for the first time. The last scenes of the episode, a light bulb blew out. And as soon as the episode was over, the power went out. It freaked me out!

Haha, when I saw The Ring in theaters, i was with two of my best friends. When I got home, I called one of them of their cell and did the whole whispering "seven days" thing...needless to say I scared the hell out of him. I did the same when I saw The Grudge with my best friend. That night at like midnight I called her cell and did that gravelly croaky sound that the evil thing that kills ppl made (those who have seen it know what I am talking about). She freaked at first, but she realized it was me, cussed me out, then hung up. It was fun!

Samantha Beckett
Old 02-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #59
LadyKayoss
Observer's Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Beckett
LOL *hums Twilight Zone theme*...

Strange things happened after I saw Boogiem*n for the first time. The last scenes of the episode, a light bulb blew out. And as soon as the episode was over, the power went out. It freaked me out!

Haha, when I saw The Ring in theaters, i was with two of my best friends. When I got home, I called one of them of their cell and did the whole whispering "seven days" thing...needless to say I scared the hell out of him. I did the same when I saw The Grudge with my best friend. That night at like midnight I called her cell and did that gravelly croaky sound that the evil thing that kills ppl made (those who have seen it know what I am talking about). She freaked at first, but she realized it was me, cussed me out, then hung up. It was fun!

Samantha Beckett
I had trouble with The Grudge, too... the movie itself didn't scare me, but I found out later that night that, when heard muffled through two walls, my mother's snoring sounds exactly like the noises that woman made. I didn't get much sleep that night.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #60
McDuck
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan
man now im left out of this fun too.
Cyd, I'm saying this with love....you are only out of whatever fun you choose to be out of. :hug:
Old 02-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #61
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

thanks jennie but i really am out of this fun, i dont have any creepy stuff to talk about becasue nothing that creepy ever happened to me, and not with the bman episode eaitehr because like i said my friend nathen ruined it for my best friend and I before i saw it.

but thanks Jennie *huggles*

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:00 AM   #62
QL Nut
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan
thanks jennie but i really am out of this fun, i dont have any creepy stuff to talk about becasue nothing that creepy ever happened to me, and not with the bman episode eaitehr because like i said my friend nathen ruined it for my best friend and I before i saw it.

but thanks Jennie *huggles*
Nothing strange ever happened to me while watching the episode either. It's just a bit of fan fun (which is sometimes exaggerated) when weird things happen so we can create controversy around the episode. It even helps make it somewhat more enjoyable, I think. Really not a big deal, though. I wouldn't feel bad about it.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #63
LadyKayoss
Observer's Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by QL Nut
Nothing strange ever happened to me while watching the episode either. It's just a bit of fan fun (which is sometimes exaggerated) when weird things happen so we can create controversy around the episode. It even helps make it somewhat more enjoyable, I think. Really not a big deal, though. I wouldn't feel bad about it.
And therein lies the episode's true brilliance. On its own, it's a creepy little Halloween episode, but, whether by accident or by design, it's built up a certain... mystique that makes it much more memorable than most Halloween-themed episodes of any TV show. I, for one, love it all the more for that.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #64
Debra
PQL Visitor

Default The scary episode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al's Handlink
Welcome to the board.

I have never had anything strange happen while watching the episode in question. And my thoughts are that everything Sam experienced, really happened.

Maybe the reason Al didn't remember is that The Devil Al didn't want any evidence. So he made it so Al maybe ever Ziggy didn't remember anything.
I'm glad you are putting my mind at ease because I stopped watching the episodes on dvd in 2004 just as I got to the Bo*giem*n. I had watched all the episodes prior to that one all at once. I could not stop watching them. Then I found this message board and people started to freak me out.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:41 AM   #65
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra

I'm glad you are putting my mind at ease because I stopped watching the episodes on dvd in 2004 just as I got to the Bo*giem*n. I had watched all the episodes prior to that one all at once. I could not stop watching them. Then I found this message board and people started to freak me out.
freaked out? how so? these people, when i first came here, saved my internet soul. hehe.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #66
BlueSovereign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra

I think the discussion of the bo*giem*n can freak me out too, I don't think you mean any of us are freaking you out . . . do you ?

Having watched most of QL in its first run to the end and missing Bgmn the first time I was experiencing a tone of scaryness that I have not felt in a long, long, long-long, long time. Its a strange episode to say the least, but it worked if the intension was to get you grabbing for the cushions.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:14 AM   #67
MrVestek

I only saw this for the first time when I got the DVD recently, I had heard about the legend but didn't wanna read up on the story. When I saw the episode entiteld The B**gieman I just thought 'Ahh now I'll find out what it's all about. I had an idea that Al wasn't himself but I wasn't really thinking much when I watched it, then when Sam bumps into him by accident and figures it all out I was like '***?!'

I think the best part is when the door of the imaging chamber opens and out Al steps and he's saying 'Sorry I'm late Sam we had trouble findi... WHAT THE HELL?!'

Classic ep.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #68
mstalanon
Assistant to Gooshie

what a great episode, and a great discussion y'all!

I personally believe that God did the reset, but you have to understand modern storytelling of clashes with the Devil. They usually take place in a dreamlike or otherworldly place, or outside known time and with common situations.

The Devil DOES have a lot of power, but He's more apt to use it as a display than God does. God is more subtle, wanting His children to grow strong by challenges of faith, yet is there when you call for him. The Serpent is quick to challenge as well, and is a Known Trickster! He can quote Scripture with more skill than even the most holiest of men and women. Even those Blessed by God often find themselves lost in challenges of the Devil at first. He's THAT powerful.

But the power is an illusion... ONCE steadfastedly stood up with God as your shield, the Devil quickly retreats, blinded by God's Brilliance.

Now in this fictional story, the Devil usurped God's power temporarily. But only so. This whole story took place in the blink of God's eyes... hence the reset. Sam could well have met his match, but once the Devil revealed Himself as that weak, he was able to be beaten.

As is usually the case. Both in fictional, and in factual stories.

Ahhhh, enough of my rambling. Ya caught me with a philisophical moment!
Old 03-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #69
MrVestek

So then, if this guy admitted to being the devil, the Bartender in the final ep *has* to be god... right?
Old 03-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #70
Sam's soul searcher
Waiting Room Visitor

That's what i thought, i'd make sense.

I loved this episode, i watched it a few weeks ago and i sat there with me mam in complete suspense/excitement! I thought it was so quirky and unusual, with such an amazing twist that i didn't even get till the end (when i normally do). After watching it, i googled the episode and found out the superstition behind it and was shocked especially since nothing strange happened while watching it, so i must be lucky. I loved Dean in this eppy, he totally creeps me out!

Amazing.

SSS