What Did Katie think?

Samantha Beckett

Project QL Intern
Oct 31, 2005
Vestavia, Alabama
Hey, this thought came to me yesterday when I was listening to the radio. John Lennon's "Imagine" was playing and I wondered, "What did Katie think when she heard this song for the first time?" You know, Sam played that song for her and said that it wouldnt be written for several years, and then he said he made it all up (we've all seen the ep, but still...). I just wonder what would have gone thru her head when she heard it premier on the radio...anyone else had that thought? Hehe...

Samantha Beckett

Which reminds me, in the leap home part two Tom tells the guy that Sam's leaped into that his little brother thought that he was a time traveller in one part of the episode...

But at the very end when they're in the bar and Sam's about to leap out tom turns to Sam and says 'Seeya later.... Little brother...' or something to that effect.

So did... did tom know?!

I don't think that Tom knew or even believed that Sam could travel through time. I think that the very fact that he survived disproved the fact that Sam knew the future for him because Sam never told him that he leaped into other people and could prevent people from dying who shouldn't.

When he said, "See ya later .... Little Brother..." I think that he was just saying it in the brotherly way that those who have fought in the same unit for a long time together and have saved each others lives view each other.

Al says that Katie still marries ChucK... but what if Tom living and coming home changes that? Do they ever say?

Thats a point, thats never established in the tv series. However, in the Virtual Series here on the site, Katie still married Chuck if I am not mistaken, but she lives in Hawaii now with her mother. Now, I seriously may be confusing and combining the two storylines, but I think thats how it went.

I'm going to try a story about this Katie/Imagine thing. It may just be a ff.net thing, not VS, but we'll see. :D

Samantha Beckett

And not just Katie... I've always wondered what the sixteen-year-old Sam thought of the whole thing. He won't have remembered that entire Thanksgiving, which is probably frustrating to someone with a photographic memory, and probably wonders why he did all those strange things he can't remember doing.

Did anyone ever think that the reason Sam wanted to create the Quantum Leap project is BECAUSE he got leapt into? Paradox alert!

naggindragon said:
Did anyone ever think that the reason Sam wanted to create the Quantum Leap project is BECAUSE he got leapt into? Paradox alert!

A very valid point! Thanks for pointing that out. And remember the intention of QL was to observe history and not to actually be there. I'm not even sure if that point was brought up in the TV Series, and if it was, which episode was it in? Two words: Divine intervention. They say that you shouldn't change history because of the grandfather theory(or something to that effect). That is why God or Fate only allows Sam to right some wrongs out of so much more. In Lee Harvey Oswald, Sam and Al desperately tried to prevent the assassination of President Kennedy only to find out that he was there to prevent the killing of the First Lady, Jackie Bouvier-Kennedy. The reason for the multi leaps into Oswald was God or Fate's way to give PQL a chance to uncover a possible conspiracy. I personally think it's very possible. As much as it sickins me to say this, it's possible that the VP(Lyndon Johnson) at the time could've been at the top of the conspiracy. That's just a theory. One of many.

Steve
RossBeckett

While I'm on the subject, if Sam wanted to create PQL because he was leapt into at the age of 16, do you think it's possible that Al wanted to be a part of it because Sam leapt into HIM as well?

Interesting theory. The question is what do they remember when they leap back in... do any of them ever remember being held in a room where thier reflection is not their own and how do they account for not actually being there during a very critical part of their life? Do the actions of Sam become part of their memory? The only real glimpse of what a person who has been leaped into knows when they retun is in "Double Identity."
I haven't read any of the Virtual Series but what happens to Al when Sam tells Beth to wait? The choices that Al would have made when he returned would have been different. Would he still have joined PQL? Did he join in the hopes of being able to keep Beth? But paradox: he changed all those lives with Sam so he would have had to but not anymore. The best way I can explain what I'm thinking is in "Back to the Future II" when they are in the future then go back to the 80s and cannot go back to the future because it would now be the altered future ... the other future that they were in is now an alternate universe. Please tell me that I am making some sort of sense.

I know that in "The Leap Back" Sam says that the past 3 years of leaping were becoming a blur and that he couldnt remember much about them. So, I would assume that once he returns to his fixed timeline, his memories of leaping would disappear. That's Sam's case. Al might be a different story.

I have always wondered what the leapee thought/does once they leap back into themselves too. Ive just assumed that they "wake up" of sorts in whatever place and position Sam was when he leapt out, and just say, "Hmm, howd this happen? Howd I get here?" then go back about their lives.

Samantha Beckett

lilttkaibacorpchic008 said:
I haven't read any of the Virtual Series but what happens to Al when Sam tells Beth to wait? The choices that Al would have made when he returned would have been different. Would he still have joined PQL? Did he join in the hopes of being able to keep Beth? But paradox: he changed all those lives with Sam so he would have had to but not anymore. The best way I can explain what I'm thinking is in "Back to the Future II" when they are in the future then go back to the 80s and cannot go back to the future because it would now be the altered future ... the other future that they were in is now an alternate universe. Please tell me that I am making some sort of sense.

I started a story in May of 1995 dealing in some small way with that. It's called "Beth" and it's pretty much written from the first person from Beth's POV, but it starts where M.I.A. and Mirror Image left off and goes forward from there. Where I'm at in the timeline right now is the early 80's. It's posted at fanfiction.net if you're interested. :)