The orginal music used on Quantum leap

CynthialovesQuantumLeap

Project QL Intern
Aug 12, 2008
When I watch Quantum leap on ION I noticed that the music is not the same as the dvds. Why did Universal take the orginal music away and how can I find a list of the songs. So that I can put the songs on my ipod.
What a shame to take the original songs away.
Is there any way they will ever put them back.

If you go through the DVD forum (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9) there are a lot of threads that address this.

Simply put, it was cost prohibitive to put the original music on the DVD's. That would have meant Universal licensing the music (which adds to the cost of producing a DVD set). The extra cost of licensing would have then been passed on to the consumer. Quantum Leap is going to reach more of a niche market than a broad market so it just didn't make economical sense for Universal to go through with the licensing of all the music.

If you're wondering what the cost difference would have been compare this. Season 1 is only 8 episodes long and contains all of the original music. It lists on Amazon.com for $31.99. Season 2 is 22 episodes but has music substitutions. It lists on Amazon.com for $38.99 - only $7.00 more despite being more than twice as long as Season 1. Had Season 2 (and subsequent seasons) contained all of the original music, they likely would have retailed for double or more than double what the cost was without all of the original music. That may have been more costly than what the consumer was willing to spend.

As to Universal obtaining the music licenses necessary and reissuing the DVD's with all of the original music, I'd have to say it's highly unlikely that that would happen with the economy the way it is. It's even less likely today that someone is going to be willing to spend that much money than it was a couple of years ago with Universal first released the DVD's.

Julia,
thank you so much for answering my question so thoroughly I really appreciate it so much. I agree that in these economic times People would not pay so much for DVDS but I say this I am glad that there are ways granted some can add up like Itunes and still have the music and imagine.
The scenes.
Again thank you:cheers

If you go through the DVD forum (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9) there are a lot of threads that address this.

Simply put, it was cost prohibitive to put the original music on the DVD's. That would have meant Universal licensing the music (which adds to the cost of producing a DVD set). The extra cost of licensing would have then been passed on to the consumer. Quantum Leap is going to reach more of a niche market than a broad market so it just didn't make economical sense for Universal to go through with the licensing of all the music.

If you're wondering what the cost difference would have been compare this. Season 1 is only 8 episodes long and contains all of the original music. It lists on Amazon.com for $31.99. Season 2 is 22 episodes but has music substitutions. It lists on Amazon.com for $38.99 - only $7.00 more despite being more than twice as long as Season 1. Had Season 2 (and subsequent seasons) contained all of the original music, they likely would have retailed for double or more than double what the cost was without all of the original music. That may have been more costly than what the consumer was willing to spend.

As to Universal obtaining the music licenses necessary and reissuing the DVD's with all of the original music, I'd have to say it's highly unlikely that that would happen with the economy the way it is. It's even less likely today that someone is going to be willing to spend that much money than it was a couple of years ago with Universal first released the DVD's.

The Season 5 DVD has all the music, including the omitted Georgia by Ray Charles from Season 2's M.I.A. And it didn't cost anything more than Season 2-4.

I don't think it's a case of all. How many songs comprises all in Season 5 versus how many comprises all in previous seasons. If seasons 2-4 included more licensed music than Season 5 did, than to license all of the music would cost more and that would be past on to consumers. So, how many is the all in Season 5 compared to the some in Seasons 2-4.