The Relationship between Sam and Al

CynthialovesQuantumLeap

Project QL Intern
Aug 12, 2008
I was watching the Lee Harvey Oswald episode which I do not know if I could ever watch again it scared me.
But the one thing that comes through for me in every episode of this kind is that Al cares for Sam not just as a friend but the way a Father would care about his own Son. That kind of compassion is so touching.
When ever Sam leaps into someone and needs to know all the information or was scared to do the trapeze in Leaping without a net he had the best friend anyone could have Al.

Even in the episode where Sam is a priest in Leap of faith and he gets shot by the young man who does not want the priest to testifty the most touching scene that brings tears to my eyes is when Al who earlier in his life had prayed for his own father but his prayers were not answered.
Realized that as Sam layed there shot he prayed silently to God to help him.
Sam also when he is scared or frightened in an unknown situation knows that he has Al (who he must think of him not just as a friend but also in a way like a Father figure who is always there to help and give him wisdom.:cheers

OMG you nailed it there! I was just thinking that myself AL really dose care for Sam in alot of ways and helps him out of situations as well. I can tell when Sam dose something stupid AL gets upset with him thats only cause he knows Sam could get himself in trouble in the leaps like the "Color of truth" Al was getting frustrated with Sam cause he wouldnt listen and ended up getting arrested and Sam was very lucky that getting arrested was all he got considering the time of year he was in. Al really dose make me come to tears alot with how compassionate he is towards Sam when he needs him the most. The LHO scared me as well and we seen the side of AL that we never seen before the really p***sd side Im glad Sam never crossed Al yikes! His eyes were scary when he was angry and I can see why AL was to considering what was about to happend. Theres alot of memories I can recall on AL being sweet and caring it really dose move me how he really dose think of Sam as his own son I think he dose in my opionion as well.

Alyssa, Thank you for saying the same thing that I was thinking. I agree that sometimes Al does not want Sam to get in trouble and when he does he is there to say I will help you. I too am glad that Sam never crossed Al but you know what Al would of forgiven him like any parent would his flesh and blood.
Also when Al is tender and he also makes me cry and I fall apart and cry.

AlyssaCalavicci said:
OMG you nailed it there! I was just thinking that myself AL really dose care for Sam in alot of ways and helps him out of situations as well. I can tell when Sam dose something stupid AL gets upset with him thats only cause he knows Sam could get himself in trouble in the leaps like the "Color of truth" Al was getting frustrated with Sam cause he wouldnt listen and ended up getting arrested and Sam was very lucky that getting arrested was all he got considering the time of year he was in. Al really dose make me come to tears alot with how compassionate he is towards Sam when he needs him the most. The LHO scared me as well and we seen the side of AL that we never seen before the really p***sd side Im glad Sam never crossed Al yikes! His eyes were scary when he was angry and I can see why AL was to considering what was about to happend. Theres alot of memories I can recall on AL being sweet and caring it really dose move me how he really dose think of Sam as his own son I think he dose in my opionion as well.

I think I mentioned this on another thread, but throughout the first three episodes, I thought that Al was Sam's father. They do have a deep bond between them, and Sam and Al would risk their lives for each other, I'm sure. What got me was when Sam was back home, and he knew Al was going to die, so he risked the Quantum Accelorator, knowing that he might not come back, to save him. That, in my opinion, shows the nature of their relationship.

It's like Sam and Al are brothers in spirit. They risk their lives to help the other. Sure, they have their spats but they still care for one another. It's like you argue with your siblings, sometimes you even go as far as to hate them, but you always love them.

Friendships on that spiritual level you only get once, maybe twice, in a lifetime.

They do have a deep bond. Sam helped Al fight his battle with alcoholism, and Al was there for Sam during Sam's problems (the loss of his brother in Nam, Donna, etc.). Such bonds like that are stronger than blood or race!

I think it's fitting that with all that Al went through in this life, Sam helps to get Beth back for him. Al deserved a happy ending.