Old 11-20-2006, 07:01 PM   #101
QL Nut
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedana
Not necessarily. Quadriplegics cannot control muscle function, but the body has all kinds of autonomic reactions. Even people in persistent vegetative states will twitch. Also, Billy has enough control to move the lever, as opposed to someone like Christopher Reeve, who controlled his chair by blowing on a sensor.
Interesting... It definitely wasn't his body weight pushing the chair as he was sitting still, but you're right that it can be explained as a muscle spasm. I took it as a bit of an acting slip...
Old 11-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #102
LadyKayoss
Observer's Aid

Quote:
And in Trilogy part two, when Sam gets pulled out of bed by the lynch mob, you can totally see SB's er, jockstrap. (Don't ask me why my eyes were focused down there.)
*groans* I hope you realize now that I'm going to be looking for that next time I watch Trilogy part two. And here I was being so good, focusing on his face and nothing else...
Old 11-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #103
bluedana
Accelerator Technician

Quote:
I took it as a bit of an acting slip...
Oh, it probably was. I just take a special joy in fan-wanking.

Quote:
*groans* I hope you realize now that I'm going to be looking for that next time I watch Trilogy part two. And here I was being so good, focusing on his face and nothing else...
Snort. You're a better woman than I am, LadyKayoss.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #104
LunarCrystal
Control Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by QL Nut
Noticed this small mistake while watching "Nowhere To Run": Billy's thumb completely twitches as he's about to drive his chair into the pool. As a quadriplegic, that's supposed to be impossibe.
Not quite. My ex-husband is technically a quad and he has most use of his arms. Quadriplegic simply means that all for limbs are affected, not necessarily rendered useless. In fact, the higher the injury in the cervical region, the less feeling and/or mobility in the arms and hands - starting from the pinkies inward. So it could be that Billy couldn't feel or move his pinkies, but could use the rest of his hand, fingers, and last would be his thumb to go.

My guess is that Billy was about a C5-C4ish, which would explain why he's able to switch the weight of his shoulders enough to use the joystick on the electric chair.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #105
LadyKayoss
Observer's Aid

Quote:
Snort. You're a better woman than I am, LadyKayoss.
LOL. It's not so much a matter of being a better woman; I just find that if I pay too much attention to his state of undress, I tend to get too distracted and miss what's going on.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:06 AM   #106
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

hey everyone, I was googling for Ql wallpaper and I came across this:
http://www.moviemistakes.com/tv3744

its a list of Ql mistakes and bloopers.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #107
asearcher
Observer's Aid

Quote:
MIA...I think its more like Big Sam (lol, for lack of a better term) helped clarify Mo's own theory of time travel, using the string theory, who then told it to Little Sam in 1957. Its a bizarre, cyclical thing that pretty much caused Sam to inspire himself.
Actually, in the original history, Mo Stein didn't read the letter from Little Sam. He had tried to jump on the train that morning and died. So, if the show went on, then it was Future Boy who would have read the letter. Also, there's no evidence as to who choose the letters to be read on the air. If Mo was choosing them, then it's possible the next letter wouldn't have been Sam's. Even if the next letter was Sam's, then Future Boy may not have answered it the same way the Mo Stein would have, and therefore, wouldn't have had that answer in depth.

As I recall, the letter itself asked about learning more about time travel so it's possible that Mo in a previous episode of his show had said something that could have gotten Sam thinking about time travel back then (since it's obvious he watched the show.)

In anycase, even in the changed history, Sam would have had his ideas better defined based on Mo's answer. I still think he pretty much came up with the general thoughts himself.

At least this is the way I saw it.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #108
QL Nut
Project Observer

In "Trilogy Part I" during the scene where Leta Aider chases Abigail around the house, you can catch a quick glimpse of Dean's reflection on the wall unit as he runs past.

In "The Leap Home" just before Sam looks at his younger self in the mirror, there is a wide shot where you can see Scott's reflection in the mirror. This scene is entirely cut out in syndication and only on the DVD.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:51 AM   #109
Al The Observer
Observer's Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan
hey everyone, I was googling for Ql wallpaper and I came across this:
http://www.moviemistakes.com/tv3744

its a list of Ql mistakes and bloopers.
I added to that site. My addition is the one about Raped.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 PM   #110
QL Nut
Project Observer

In "8 Months," the leap date is November 15, 1955. However, Sam says that he figured out the date by reading the hospital calendar, which said the date was November 14, 1955.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #111
newleaper
Control Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKayoss
Now I'm going to have to pull out season 5 again.

Not that I mind *grin*
Old 03-15-2007, 11:39 PM   #112
QL Nut
Project Observer

In "Star Light, Star Bright," Sam and Timmy are having a conversation about famous rock musicians. Sam brings up Jimi Hendrix and says that Timmy will get a chance to see him play within the year. Timmy asks where he's playing and Sam says Woodstock. The leap date is May 21, 1966, but the Woodstock festival didn't occur until 1969.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #113
Jaycol
Control Room Technician

Default Something I just thought of this morning

When I awoke this morning the first thing that popped into my head is the whole intro to QL, and I noticed this. Just wanted to know if anyone else thought about this. In the intro that everyone is familiar with the female voice said "Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished...
We all know how the rest goes but the intro said he vanished when he stepped in but he doesn't vanish physically. Had anyone else picked up on this?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:06 PM   #114
Aging Boomer
PQL Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colter
In the intro that everyone is familiar with the female voice said "Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished...
We all know how the rest goes but the intro said he vanished when he stepped in but he doesn't vanish physically. Had anyone else picked up on this?
I took that to mean he departed from his own time, so he had effectively "vanished."

I don't think this qualifies as a real mistake, but something about the "Goodbye Norma Jean" episode has bugged me for years. Sam reminisces about spending Saturday afternoons at the movies watching Marilyn Monroe's movies. If he was born in August of 1953, he would have just turned 9 when she died. That seems awfully young to have many memories of Marilyn Monroe films. They were pretty racy for their time; did kids in the 1950's and early 1960's regularly go to see them, especially in rural Indiana?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:36 AM   #115
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

I noticed a blooper in Nuclear Family as I just finished watching it. In the scene where Sam buries the bullets from Mac's shotgun you can see Sam the dog digging up dirt in the distance on the other side of the yard so you can tell right away that he's going to find them as he did in the very next scene. however when they show that scene in the credits the dog is not there.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Old 05-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #116
cookiemom6067
Control Room Technician

One of my favorite mistakes is that the opening establishing shot for the episode Blind Faith, set in NYC in '64, shows the twin towers - not completed until the 70's.

In Temptation Eyes, when Sam is going after the guy that Tamlyn identified as the killer, he runs down a street past a bunch of store windows and you can see that it's him, not the Leapee.

I love this game, too.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #117
cookiemom6067
Control Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Boomer
I don't think this qualifies as a real mistake, but something about the "Goodbye Norma Jean" episode has bugged me for years. Sam reminisces about spending Saturday afternoons at the movies watching Marilyn Monroe's movies. If he was born in August of 1953, he would have just turned 9 when she died. That seems awfully young to have many memories of Marilyn Monroe films. They were pretty racy for their time; did kids in the 1950's and early 1960's regularly go to see them, especially in rural Indiana?
He says that he watched them on TV when he was in college - he even states that he was too young to have been part of that era.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #118
Aging Boomer
PQL Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemom6067
He says that he watched them on TV when he was in college - he even states that he was too young to have been part of that era.
Oh, OK--I haven't re-watched that episode (it's not one I especially liked). I thought I remembered him saying he spent Saturday afternoons at the movies basking in the glow of her eyes.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #119
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Boomer
Oh, OK--I haven't re-watched that episode (it's not one I especially liked). I thought I remembered him saying he spent Saturday afternoons at the movies basking in the glow of her eyes.
I could have sworn he said that too, and I could swear I remember him using the phrase "baby blues". I have only seen that ep twice myself though, Its on my least fav list as well.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:24 AM   #120
cookiemom6067
Control Room Technician

Quote:
I could have sworn he said that too, and I could swear I remember him using the phrase "baby blues". I have only seen that ep twice myself though, Its on my least fav list as well.
"I was only a kid when Marilyn was at her peak, but in college, I used to love sneaking off to the movies so that I could get lost in the magic of those big luscious blue eyes. Al, on the other hand, had been around for the real thing."

You're right - he does say he goes to the movies. In the 70's, though, it wasn't all that rare for classic movies to be replayed in theatres.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #121
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Oh ok yeah and he says blue eyes in some manner so I was close enough in that area hehe. Yeah I figured it was a re release I mean thats how I saw Snow White when I was little. Obviously it was way before my time but they re released it.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #122
Snish
Observer's Aid

Quote:
thats how I saw Snow White when I was little.
Want to hear some completely off-topic trivia? The voice of Prince Charming in Snow White was provided by...

Harry Stockwell, Dean's dad. It's his best-known role.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled bloopers.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #123
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Yep I read about that in a google web result I found while searching for QL stuff. Pretty cool. But yeah back to the subject the thing about Sam going to the movies to see her eyes is one of few things I remember cuz like I said I dont watch that ep as its not on my favs list.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #124
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

While I was brushing my teeth this morning I randomly thought of something that I think is a mistake. In One Strobe Over the Line towards the end when Edie passes out from the pills that Helen slipped into her coffee Sam kneels beside her to take her pulse and he lays his hand on her heck in such a way that his thumb is on her pulse. Well being a doctor shouldn't he know that the thumb has its own pulse and therefore you cannot feel another's with it?

EDIT: watching the ep now I noticed something else. At the end of the dinner party scene, as Sam is leading Edie out of the resturant if you look really quickly you can see that the back of Sam's dress shirt was splatted with cake or some kind of food near the shoulderblade. Then when they get back to her apartment she starts getting upset that she can't quit her pills and he takes her in an embrace; turning his back to the camera and you can clearly see that his shirt is now clean. Did you pit stop at the dry cleaners on the way home Sam? hehe.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.

Last edited by Sam Beckett Fan; 06-28-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #125
JuliaM
Project Observer

Quote:
While I was brushing my teeth this morning I randomly thought of something that I think is a mistake. In One Strobe Over the Line towards the end when Edie passes out from the pills that Helen slipped into her coffee Sam kneels beside her to take her pulse and he lays his hand on her heck in such a way that his thumb is on her pulse. Well being a doctor shouldn't he know that the thumb has its own pulse and therefore you cannot feel another's with it?
Actually, the use of one's thumb to palpitate the pulse at the carotid artery is acceptable. Here's the relevant information from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Pulses are manually palpatated with fingers. When palpating the carotid artery, the femoral artery or the brachial artery, the thumb may be used. However, the thumb has its own pulse which can interfere with detecting the patient's pulse at other points, where two or three fingers should be used. Fingers or thumb must be placed near an artery and pressed gently against a firm structure, usually a bone, in order to feel the pulse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse

From the book Clinical Methods:
Quote:
The index finger or thumb can lightly compress the artery during auscultation of the heart.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv...cm.chapter.576

and finally a worksheet from George Washington University
Quote:

Palpate the carotid pulsation
  1. Place your left index and middle fingers (or thumb) on the right carotid artery
    1. Note amplitude and contour of the pulse wave
    2. Never palpate both carotids simultaneously
  2. Use your right fingers or thumb to palpate the left carotid artery
  1. www.gwu.edu/~med08/worksheets/physical%20Examination%20Checklist.doc (this will ask you to download or open a MS Word document)