Quantum Leap Action Figures

QuantumMatt

Project QL Intern
Jun 26, 2006
Manteca, CA
I just got through reading a thread on handlinks and we have some amazing and devoted talents who are a part of this community. We have people who write stories, people who care so deeply and have been so affected by the show (like me) that they love to discuss it (I would've have loved to have known "LeapGeeks" , as I think of us, at 12-13 years old when I discovered the show for the first time and fell in love with it! ). I was amazed that someone here actually designs and builds replica handlinks!

This has led to a question for me. What about QL action figures and sets? Seriously! When I was at a comic book store some time ago, I noticed Star Wars figures and figurine sets. I recall a small figure set which showed Annikan Skywalker after his fateful lightsaber fight with Obi and he was all burnt and had his limbs torn and was lying in a medical device which Palpatine was taking to a building so he could have surgery and be transformed into Darth Vader completely with the costume, helmet and cape.

Maybe we can have action figures and small sets for QL. You can have a figure of, say, Sam Beckett in hospital clothing just coming out of the Imaging Chamber door as in "The Leap Back" or maybe small figures of Gooshie, Tina, Donna, Sam, and even Ziggy. You can have a figure set of Sam and an evil leaper or maybe a figure of Al and Tina having their last dance together.

This is an interesting idea but I don't know which toy company would consider it worth their time and energy and who would fund something like this! Anyone have an eccentric billionaire of an uncle? LOL!

Matthew

You're not the first to think of this idea. Way back, we got to a point here on the boards where we sent E-mails to a particular toy company (the name escapes me at the moment) to show that there was interest in Quantum Leap figures. Basically we got a lukewarm response and nothing ever came of it. The best bet? Some of the fans themselves could make their own figures just as with the homemade handlinks. The head of a Captain Archer figure from the Enterprise toy line would probably be a good start. I personally wouldn't mind seeing someone make a diorama of the Control Room, for example. Maybe one day we'll get a real toy line, but it appears to be as dormant as A Bold Leap Forward...

QL Nut said:
You're not the first to think of this idea. Way back, we got to a point here on the boards where we sent E-mails to a particular toy company (the name escapes me at the moment) to show that there was interest in Quantum Leap figures. Basically we got a lukewarm response and nothing ever came of it. The best bet? Some of the fans themselves could make their own figures just as with the homemade handlinks. The head of a Captain Archer figure from the Enterprise toy line would probably be a good start. I personally wouldn't mind seeing someone make a diorama of the Control Room, for example. Maybe one day we'll get a real toy line, but it appears to be as dormant as A Bold Leap Forward...

Darn! And I wanted the movie to come out as well...

Matthew

I remember when Star Wars was in full swing in the late '90s, early '00s, and customized action figures were all the rage, since the companies were only making the main characters and none of the peripheral characters.

I saw all sorts of great stuff that people made using various action figures and, I believe, sculpey (I could be wrong, though).

If I had the money, I'd totally make myself some QL action figures.

Oh, Chris... That company wasn't NECA, was it? I hope not, 'cause I'd LOVE to see NECA become interested in doing QL figures... They're the best action figure company out there.

Joy

QuantumMatt said:
Darn! And I wanted the movie to come out as well...

Matthew

There's still the possibility that Deborah Pratt's script will be made. *crosses fingers*

As for the action figures issue, if anyone successfully creates QL figures, be sure to share with us! I'd like to know how to make some for myself, and the Archer figure makes a great starting point. Now we just need the Battlestar Galactica toy line to come out with a figure of Dean's character to give us something to use for Al.

tina_als_girl said:
Oh, Chris... That company wasn't NECA, was it? I hope not, 'cause I'd LOVE to see NECA become interested in doing QL figures... They're the best action figure company out there.

I don't believe so, otherwise I'm sure the name would've jogged my memory. I'm sure the thread about it is buried somewhere in the archives here if anyone has the patience to search for it. And it used to bug the hell out of me as a kid when only the main characters had figures of themselves.

Anyway, I could also see, say, McFarlane Toys doing these figures as well; Todd McFarlane's (creator of the comic book character Spawn) toy line has evolved from Spawn figures into all kinds of movie figures and even some music band figures as well. But regardless of what company (if any) makes the figures, I think they'd be most likely for display purposes only and not so much to play with. I think the trick to getting a toy line kickstarted is to first MAKE THE NEW MOVIE!

This is a great idea!! If somebody could find some figurine's that look very similar to the characters i could probably make miniature handlinks and such for their props... lol

Also, there are a lot of talents here!!! and Handlinks are just a drop in the bucket! So many people love this show and are always looking for ways to discuss it. Now, im gonna say this, if everybody will tell a story... any story .... of how @uantum Leap affected their lives for the better and or made them help somebody else for the better, i'll personally make them a handlink and give it to them.... but only one person will recieve it! Write a thread on how @uantum Leap helped you make a decision on how to help somebody's life and/or inspired you to do something you wouldnt normally go out of your way for.... I'll get with a few other "leapers" on this site and let them help me decide on which one is the best and i'll give them a handlink!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR FREE!!! Making people happy and doing the right thing has always been my goal... i was in Martial arts for 15 years and learned a great deal about honor and achieving better way of life. Quantum leap has helped me ALL MY LIFE!!! (well, since i was 12 anyways) lol im 28 now. And its still helping me! My parents got divorced, certain friends died and ive always found the strength to be there for others when they needed me. I do honestly feel some of it is because of the way @uantum Leap Inspired me. Tell us YOUR story... Start a new thread if you have to....

Neuro Mason

P.S.
Help somebody that needs you... you never know when the tables will be turned....

Well, looks like someone finally made a figure. They also made the same figure I always thought would be the most logical to make first—Sam in his Fermi suit using the head of a Captain Archer figure. Pretty cool!

SamFigure.jpg

Here's a link to the eBay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dr-Sam-Beckett-in-Fermi-Suit_W0QQitemZ270207147824QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2622QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kewl! That's a custom figure. If we could find out *who* made it, well the mold is made, we could all contact the person and get our own for way less than it cost to produce the first one. 'Course, then theirs wouldn't be so *special*.

Was it Sideshow Toys, that people tried contacting before? They have done a lot of Twilight Zone figures and others, and seem the logical choice.