Old 10-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #26
QuantumMatt
Waiting Room Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoniz
So then, going by this hypothesis the end of "Mirror Image" has to be changed. Matt's theory is a sound one going by what "Mirror Image" establishes.

Sam appears out of no where to Beth, tells her that Al's alive and to wait for him and she does just that. If Matt's theory (actually, Bellisario's storyline) wasn't a sound one then Beth would have written Sam off as some looney who broke into her house, she would have gone ahead and had Al declared dead and remarried. But, as we find out from the black cards at the end, she did believe Sam and she did wait for Al. So, therefore, it is safe to assume that Sam could still accomplish his mission as himself.

Frankly, someone materializing out of thin air would tend to get your attention. If they can do that, then why would what they're telling you be out the realm of possibility. Added to this, even if you don't believe the person who's warning you of something, when/if events start going as they've predicted, you might be more inclined to put stock into what the person has told you.

Actually, reading Matt's theory he never says that no one at the project can contact him. In fact he states:

Thereby establishing within his theory the fact that Sam is, in fact, in contact with Al and thus (one can assume) the project.
Julia,

I am thinking that maybe I gave up far too easily on my own hypothesis here. Now that I read your response to it, I agree that it has some plausiblity. It's quite possible. I wasn't sure just how Sam would get back into the waiting room given that his body was gone. But Sam's speculation and the fact, as you pointed out, that Beth believed him, does tend to add to the possibility and doesn't rule it out.

Matthew
Old 10-23-2007, 12:33 AM   #27
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by isz
O.k so i have 3 simple questions about 3 basics things in life, for everybody who believes,that after MI Sam is leaping as himself...
1. If Sam is leaping as himself from where does he brings money to hmm...maintain himself?
which brings me to my next question -
2. How exactley Sam buy himself food to eat,clothes to wear etc.?!
and finally -
3.Where exactley Sam is sleeping at nights?!

And another question to those who believes ,that after MI Sam leaps as himself and has no contact to the project...
4.How Would Sam know what to do in the place he leapt to?!
I agree those are some major problems as well, as himself he would also need to support himself. He would need to aquire money himself, feed himself, and house and clothe himself. Not easy when you are not in one place for more than three days to a week.

I suppose if written the right way the idea could have some merit but I don't support it. I like good old concept better. Its part of what makes the show interesting, unique and fun to watch; Seeing Sam "fumble through and servive" as Scott puts it in his short interview at the beginning of Double Identity. Matt's concept is more a mimic of the recently created Journeyman. Except in Journeyman he returns to the present in between each time as it's believed Sam originally intended PQL.

Oh btw I have not seen Journeyman yet I just saw a pretty detailed commercial a while ago when I saw Nanny Diaries with my mom.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #28
Term180
PQL Visitor

A theory I came up with a few years ago, was that the constant use of nuclear energy caused Sam's true body to dissipate, leaving only the kind of "ghost" that Stawpah (most likely misspelled that) was in MIrror Image; that Sam's actions hadn't gone unnoticed, thus as a final reward, he was given the ultimatum, to help himself and return home, or help Al by preventing Beth from remarrying.

Think about Stawpah, and the way he seemed to know about the trapped miners, as though he himself had once leaped into one, or both, of the miners.
Being a former miner himself, this might've been HIS last wish, his final request to the bartender Al.

Still, the closest thing we have to the absolute truth; Bellisario's original ending, before Warren Littlefield (the turd who ran NBC at the time) cancelled the show; that being, that Sam's leaps took him into the future, and from that point on, my guess is either his intent was to change the "Sam's Lifetime" rule, allow Sam only to leap up until the year of his death, or use the exception to the lifetime rule; just as Sam leaped before his birth, into his great grandfather, he would leap into the future via his daughter, and her offspring.

I've often wondered, about the sad ending-"why?", and the only answer is that Bellisario had split up with Deborah Pratt, and, left in that "no happy endings" mindframe, decided to turn Sam into a martyr of sorts.

Okay, one final observation about the final episode- the more I watch it, and see the return appearance of actors throughout the series, I begin to wonder that maybe Al's Place is an illusion created by Sam's mind (though this offers no explanation as to how Al can find him by searching the year of his birth) since it IS Sam who, allegedly, has subconscious control over his leaps (perhaps why he was able to leap into several people for one task, in "Double Identity" and in the episodes I sometimes refer to as the Abigail Trilogy)

It's the only reasonable explanation, that I can think of anyway, as to why Sam would be holding a wallet with an ID from the future.
And it'd explain the recurring actors, with appearances familiar to Sam, and identities, for the most part, foreign to Sam; that he was having, understandably, an identity crisis at this point, where his "swiss-cheesed" mind was trying to sync up faces to personalities- why?

Because, by that point and time, Sam's subconscious realized what he had to do for Al, and for Sam to "evolve" as it were, to no longer needing to use the bodies of others, he first needed to remember what Beth, and her location, looked like, and thus his mind went through the faces and personalities he'd encountered in his travels; some matched their true identity (Jimmy, known as "Pete" in Mirror Image, and his brother) while others were way off (Captain Galaxy, named Ziggy)
When Sam hears that, he begins to work out in his head who Ziggy and Captain Galaxy really are, thus filling in the holes of his swiss-cheesed brain.

Plus, there's the fact that in spite of being Sam's birthdate, the people whom he recognized appeared the exact same as they had when he originally encountered them.
Still, the flaw in that theory is that Al (Calavicci not the bartender) can still find Sam.

Wow, thinking about the thousands of possible interpretations for that episode is making my brain hurt- and REALLY making me wanna watch that episode again(gotta find the copy I recorded onto a DVD-R off of Sci-Fi- screw the DVD set, when they removed "Georgia On My Mind" from M.I.A. I lost all faith in TV DVDs)

Still, if he leaped back into himself, where'd the fermi suit go? (That tight little white number that drove women, and bi guys like myself, crazy :-)
"And the same thing would have to happen if you continue to take an interest in this. And the further we go, if it speaks to you, then you would recognize that, "Goodness, I'm going to be shortly, literally, physically dropping out...dropping out of the world."-Marshall Applewhite "Heaven's Gate" Cult Leader, one half of the "UFO Two", and second-in-command to Ti of the "Total Overcomers".
Term180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #29
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by term180
that the constant use of nuclear energy caused Sam's true body to dissipate, leaving only the kind of "ghost" that Stawpah (most likely misspelled that) was in MIrror Image
You mean he dies? But thats sad, and how will he ever get home?

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Old 10-24-2007, 04:00 AM   #30
Term180
PQL Visitor

Well, that's just one theory-there are more potential theories than there are actual Quantum Leap episodes (thanks to Warren Littlefraud cancelling the series so early)

The one intangible is Al Calavicci- Al C. saw and spoke with Sam, so he'd have to have been alive, and Al C. saw the bar, though failed to witness some of its more supernatural events, such as the deceased leaper (well, Al C.'s uncle) but he'd have to have noticed the familiar faces (since Al C.'s memory would be sharper than Sam's, if Sam recognized them, Al C. must've)

But, where did Sam go after telling Beth the news of Al being alive?
I'm guessing he disappeared the same way Stawpah did, maybe Stawpah was a bit of foreshadowing for Sam.

Or maybe, the reason he never returned home, is that he leaped right into the transporter aboard the Enterprise, and continued his journey from there
"And the same thing would have to happen if you continue to take an interest in this. And the further we go, if it speaks to you, then you would recognize that, "Goodness, I'm going to be shortly, literally, physically dropping out...dropping out of the world."-Marshall Applewhite "Heaven's Gate" Cult Leader, one half of the "UFO Two", and second-in-command to Ti of the "Total Overcomers".
Term180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #31
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper

My guess is that Sam subconsciously chose his birthdate because he knew Al would find him...
Old 10-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #32
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggindragon
My guess is that Sam subconsciously chose his birthdate because he knew Al would find him...
ooh yeah, but how could he even subcontiously have anticipated leaping as himself and thus needing to make sure he was in an easy date to find him?

As for Term180's question about where he went after he left Beth; my theory is that he leaped out and now he is somewhere lost as himself I guess because what other need would there be for Sammy Jo to leap in the potential movie.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:52 PM   #33
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan
ooh yeah, but how could he even subcontiously have anticipated leaping as himself and thus needing to make sure he was in an easy date to find him?
It's the same principle of him leaping himself around the whole time... He never consciously knew where he was going, but subconsciously he did.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:12 AM   #34
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggindragon
It's the same principle of him leaping himself around the whole time... He never consciously knew where he was going, but subconsciously he did.
Ok I see what you are saying. Its like my theory "How Does Sam End Up Where He Is?" The thread is still around somewhere.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.