The Death of Deacons

QuantumMatt

Project QL Intern
Jun 26, 2006
Manteca, CA
I was watching the QL episode "The Boogeyman" (if this is inaccurate, it's because the forum wouldn't let me spell the episode's name the other way). Sam leaps into horror novelist Joshua Ray and has to prevent Ray's girlfriend (Mary, is it?) from being strangled in the spook house. In the final scene, Sam confronts the sheriff (who is supposed to be dead) and upon grabbing his hand, there is a red glow followed by a change of form into Al. Sam finds out it's the devil and the devil is there to put an end to his leaping. The devil (in the form of Al) grabs Sam's throat and they start spinning around and Sam sees all the people who have died, and also the goat and Mary, and Al is yelling "Hang in there, Sam!" over and over. Sam finally seems to lose conscious and when it regains it, he's back where he started from.

Al appears and Sam has to try and touch him to see that he's the real Al. As soon as Al mentions Tully's name, Sam races upstairs and grabs Tully before he falls off the ladder. Sam dismisses it as a dream at first but how does he know who Tully is or what is supposed to happen to him if the dream wasn't real? How would he know what's supposed to happen without Al telling him? Was this a dream constructed by god/fate/time/chance or whatever the heck is supposed to be guiding Sam? Was Sam simply taken back in time and release, miraculously from the devil's grip? When I watch the final scene, I sometimes think that the plot to kill Mary was just a ploy, and it was actually Sam who the devil was after.

Fellow fans will have to pardon me if this topic has been discussed before. I really didn't feel like digging up any old threads.

Matthew

QuamtumMatt said:
I was watching the QL episode "The Boogeyman" (if this is inaccurate, it's because the forum wouldn't let me spell the episode's name the other way).
First of all regarding this, the episode is considered kind of bad luck when spelt out.

Now on to the question. I believe that God rewound the leap back to the beginning because it had gotten so scrwed up and of course to save Sam's life. There is also evidence to back me up here in the episode. In several moments during Sam's strangulation we are shown a clock. The first time we see it is when the Devil first grabs Sam and proceeds to spin him around. The clock lands on Midnight and strikes once. We are then shown things flying from their places in the room and the Devil changing Shape to Tully, Dorthey, Ben, the Goat and Mary(not necessarily in that order). We are then shown the clock again, its still on midnight but we hear a second gong. Then Al yells Sam's name several times wanting desperatly for Sam to at least try to attack back. We are then shown the clock once more still on Midnight gonging a third time after which we see Sam fall from the Devil's grasp to land back at the beginning of the leap.

Now that I have that information strait I am not sure exactly if this has any connection but there must be some reason the clock was shown Three times and so frequently especially with the seconds in between showing Sam loosing contiousness more and more and Al desperately wanting to do something but being a hologram all he could do was stand there. Basically it seemed to show that the situation was becoming hopeless beyond repair and the clock meaning that God is realizing this and knowing that he needs to take action and save Sam and the Decans.

So the clock seems to have relevence to me.

Last edited:
Sam Beckett Fan said:
First of all regarding this, the episode is considered kind of bad luck when spelt out.

Now on to the question. I believe that God rewound the leap back to the beginning because it had gotten so scrwed up and of course to save Sam's life. There is also evidence to back me up here in the episode. In several moments during Sam's strangulation we are shown a clock ticking almost giving the feeling of counting down, and right before Sam lands back at the beginning of the leap we are shown one of the clock's hands shooting up, or maybe down I have not seen the episode in a while; and then chiming. It all gives the feeling of God setting back the clock.

I hate it when I have to guess facts, I will have to watch the ep and revise this post later.

SBF,

That's interesting. Your suggestions seems to point out a strong sense of preplanning in a sense where everything is ordained for a purpose but the problem that pops up in my mind is that it seems that whatever powers guide the leaping process are very imperfect. There is a sense in which history has evil events and calamities that the powers that be are powerless to prevent in the first place and need some kind of assistance from someone with an almost superhuman I.Q. who, as fate would be fortunate to have, with a gift and an interest in quantum physics. It's like 'God' screwed up or wasn't all too powerful to stop the unfortunate or evil events the first time around but when Sam Beckett was born and raised, it seems that 'God' thought he was going to get a second chance to undo the round of evils that had been done by inspiring Sam to want to time travel.

Matthew

Its not that God is imperfect its that he's not a human being on earth so what is supposed to be able to do? Sam is like his Gardian Angel helper.

Snish said:
May I ask why this thread is called "The Death of Deacons"?

It was because in the episode, Mary was a deacon of the Presbyterian Church along with Tully and Dorothy. Sam says to Mary while she is in the hospital "Two deacons are dead; I don't want there to be a third".

Matthew

No, I actually didn't know that the people killed in the episode were deacons. The title seemed very obscure. Now it's all clear... as clear as Sam's dream. :D

Ok I updated my post, I just finished watching the ep and have my facts strait now. Hopefully I am making more sense now with the correct information presented.