Sammy Jo's Timeline Limits

QL Nut

Project QL Intern
Apr 4, 2004
Long Island, NY
I was just thinking about the different possibilities for the limits in time in which Sammy Jo will be able to travel. Since at this point it's unclear whether Sammy Jo will still have been born in 1967 or will have been born in 1980, this can affect how far she can leap back. However, remember how Sam was able to leap back to 1945 in "The Leap Back" because his neurons and mesons mixed with Al's?

Sam was able to leap further than his own lifetime because part of him was Al. Also, Sam was able to leap back to 1862 in "The Leap Between the States" because of his relation to his great-grandfather. Presumably this was because Sam's genetics were the same as his great-grandfather's. Theoretically, this means that maybe Sam could leap into any family member outside of his lifetime.

Since Sammy Jo will be related to Sam, do you think it's possible for her to leap as far back as 1953? Furthermore, would it then be possible for her or any leaper to have no limit as to how far back they can go if they leap into a relative? I think this idea could be applied to the new movie/series so that it can take place in the '50s and '60s (or earlier) like the original series did.

Last edited:
Personally, I think Sam retained the few neurons and mesons he got from Al, and from that point on was able to Leap back as far as 1934--when Al was born... GTFW just never felt the need to send him there during the remaining episodes of the show.

I also think that part of the part of Al that is in Sam was transferred to Sammy Jo upon conception, and therefore, she should theoretically be able to Leap back as far as 1934 herself.

Joy

Well, Sam leaped into his own great-grandfather in "The Leap Between the States", so I think he would have to leap into the actual family member in order to go back that far... I feel the same way about Sam leaping before his own lifetime: he would have to leap into Al.

As for Sammy Jo, although it would be nice to see some pre-1967, I don't think it should happen. I'm hoping that Trey had the sense to maintain the rules of the original series and won't turn this into watching the Egyptians build the pyramids or being a part of humankind's first colony on Mars.

... Mike. ^_^

Personally, I don't want Sammy Jo (man, I hate that name) to leap around farther back than 1967. It just isn't necessary. If I want 60's nostalgia, I'll just watch the original QL.

I'd like to see more time spent in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Stuff happened then, too, but Sam NEVER leaped to the 90s even though he didn't step into the accelerator until 1995 and the series ended around 1999-2000.

Man, I just thought about the weirdest thing if Sammy Jo leapt in the 90s... Imagine that: Sammy Jo leaping into a Power Ranger!!!! Now THAT would be WAY beyond strange, LOL :nut And don't mind me, I'm just crazy, completely nuts :nut

See you!!!

Clara

I agree with all of you that I wouldn't like to see Sammy Jo travel further back before 1967. Otherwise it would be like a re-creation of the series rather than 'a bold leap forward.' As was already said, a lot of things happened in the '80s and '90s, too, as well as the present day. There could be just as many historical events for the new movie/series to explore which would take its direction forward.

But my initial question is really if there is a lifetime limit for any leaper? If Sam could leap into his great-grandfather (apparently because he was related to him), then what's to stop him from leaping into any family member no matter how far back in the past they are?

Last edited:
Re: Re: Sammy Jo's Timeline Limits

Al: Sam, it's the dawn of creation, and all we have on you is a first name...you're Adam.

Sam: And I'm naked!

Al: Woo-hoo, and so is SHE!!!!

<FOCLOL> @ Jennie...

But my initial question is really if there is a lifetime limit for any leaper? If Sam could leap into his great grandfather (apparently because he was related to him), then what's to stop him from leaping into any family member no matter how far back in the past they are?

This is a premise for one of my yet-to-be-completed fan-fiction stories. I'm not sure if it could fit into the QL:TVS scheme of things because I would have Sam leaping farther back than his great-grandfather. I wasn't having him leap into Adam by any means, but I would use the genetic thing as the link.

However, I think "The Leap Between the States" was stretching it a bit for canon QL. Sam would only share 1/8th of his great-grandfather's genes. I guess it's yet another example of NBC's pressuring Don to make the episode more "fanatical" than the first four seasons.

... Mike. ^_^

Some people are questioning how Sammy Jo could only be in her 20's now when she was born in 67, I don't think the first part of a bold leap forward takes place in modern day time, I think what they meant was is they're going to be jumping around year to year throught the movie because obiously Sam is a TIME TRAVELER and can go wherever he wants. I think Al hid the fact that he was
Sammy Jo's professer/teacher in the origonal series because she came to work for the project, she had a theory on how to bring him home and I think the project was teaching her Quantum mechanics since she had sams brain smarts.
Sam knows about her and leaps to her when she is in her 20's finishing up collage. years later she is ready, she leaps with Al as her Observer to find Dr. Becket, her theory proves right, they find Sam for a brief moment only to have Sam uncontrolably leap away, now they're stuck with putting right what once went wrong and hopefully find Dr. Becket in the process!

You need to read that whole interview. Trey Callaway says that Sammy Jo (or Samantha, if you prefer) will be a 20-something-year-old college student in the present day, not the 1980s/90s like she SHOULD be. That means that something has to have happened to her that caused her to be "relocated" to a later time frame (like maybe someone leaping into her when she was 11 and then died, or got "stuck" living her life). It is this 20-something-year-old Samantha Fuller that will be leaping through time trying to find her father.
S: So if Sammy Jo is in college, what year would that be?

Trey: Sam gets some limited interaction with Sammy Jo back in 1992 as a kid on a soccer field. Then we are now in the present day and she is finishing up with college and toying with a very serious relationship, facing a lot of issues that 20-somethings have to face upon leaving the safety net of college.
Last time Sam saw her as a kid, it was 1978, not 1992... :\

yes please read the interview

Now take this with a grain of salt, and yes read the interview, Trey explains that Sammy Jo is finishing up collage toying with a very series relationship facing issues that 20 year olds face upon leaving the safety net of collage, Trey does not actually say she is 20 years old, just facing issues that 20 year olds face, and there are many people in collage that are in their 30's, 20's ect.. Point is people of all ages are in collage and Al did say in the trilogy episode that she is working for some low rated computer place wasting her talents away, my guess is she just got a late start because of it which would explain why she is still in collage.
Maybe the project pulled her out at some point and helped her. obiously they wouldn't want her working for a place like that having Sams brain smarts.
Remember people have funny ways of toying with the fans, as far as I read which i did read it 3 times, again trey says we go to present day where Sammy Jo is finishing up Collage toying with a series relationship facing issues that 20 year olds face upon leaving the safety net of collage, not we go to present day where Sammy Jo is in her 20's finishing up collage! if it does say that please tell me. Also remember Trey isn't going to give out all the details! So do the research and read the fine print again.

Re: yes please read the interview

Trey: Sam gets some limited interaction with Sammy Jo back in 1992 as a kid on a soccer field. Then we are now in the present day

Sammy Jo is a kid on a soccer field in 1992. A 12-year-old kid on a soccer field in 1992. She's in college in the present day. In 2005 she will be 25. She's a 20-something.

Re: yes please read the interview

But according to QL itself she was born in 67 and Trey said Don is a stick for detail, plus you can't just pick out a person and leap them out, how in the world do you convice a child and her family to go to a top secret goverment facility and travel in time, remember you have to step in the the excellerator and leap, there are obiously more going on than what we understand, if Sammy jo is 12 in 1992 then she would have to be born in 1980, which if that happens then WE have to erase that whole episode where she is born in 67 and i guess it never happens. Fact is according to QL itself she is alive before she was even born. So maybe the project steals her away and forces her to jump in the excellerator.
Again just take my theory's with a grain of Salt, there is obiously something very confusing going on here. It just doesn't make sense why they're FORGETTING about her being born in 67, being alive in the 70's and meeting Sam. again they just cannot leap her out from anywhere and they can't taker her from her family who has no idea who Al or anyone else is. And I don't think they obduct her, so what the hell is going on???

Maybe

Maybe Trey gave out false dates to confuse the fans, after all he isn't going to give out every detail, trust me being in the entertainment buisness if there's one thing its PROTECT your project at all cost!
Nothing makes sense of what he said thats Obious!
TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT!!!

Re: Maybe

if Sammy jo is 12 in 1992 then she would have to be born in 1980, which if that happens then WE have to erase that whole episode where she is born in 67 and i guess it never happens.

Not necessarily. My theory is just one among a few others from members on this board. It goes by the idea that Sammy Jo is still born in March 1967 like we remember as a result of Sam and Abigail's night together. After being born, history is changed once more (not far-fetched at all as history has been rewritten up to 3 times in some episodes; "A Leap For Lisa" is a good example), and Sammy Jo is leaped into 1980.

She then grows up from that point in time where she is 12 in 1992, and in her 20s in present day. However, since she was actually born in 1967, she is technically her correct age: 38. A 38-year-old in a 25-year-old's body. That solves the issues of her being her same genetic self, being her correct age, and still remain a college student. Some other theories include somebody leaping into Sammy Jo and bouncing her into a different time, the evil leapers being involved and altering time, etc.

Another idea I had was that her birth in 1967 could end up being erased and changed (accidentally or intentionally) and Sam finds Abigail again through a leap by fate in 1980 where they conceive Sammy Jo then. The only problem is, Sammy Jo will not be the exact same person anymore but slightly different than who she originally was in 1967.

This idea negates the history we know about Sammy Jo and starts it all over again making her a younger kid and genetically slightly different because of being conceived at a different time. There's a whole bunch of different ideas. But I think it's very clear from the Trey interview that she WILL be a 20-something no matter what we come up with, like it or not. It's not worth getting angry over here...at least until we see the movie for ourselves and see what Trey actually came up with.

hmmm

yes I do like the first theory, but its kinda wierd, I'm soo damm confused!
Plus everyone in collage would see a 38 year old but Al and everyone with him would see her in her 20's.
Yes your right its not worth getting in a fight over, I just hope they don't forget about that trilogy episode. I just tought of something wierd, according to past QL in 1992 she would be 25. but sam meets her in 92, and she is 12, she would according to Trey be 25 in 2005, think there's a connection???
Oh yeah and all the Evil leapers did die. I'll try to come up with something though there might be a connection with that her being 25 now and her supposed to be that age when Sam meets her in 92. i'm getting confused again.

Re: hmmm

I think sometime after Sam meets her in the 70's I do believe she is like 8 or 9 or something and I think maybe after words the project goes after her and she gets cought up and leaps uncontrolabley a few years in he future and then on they keep tabs on her, thats all i can think of.

Re: hmmm

Relax. Take a deep breath. :nut We'll all find out what happens soon enough. You misunderstood my theory though. Everybody would see Sammy Jo as the 25-year-old person she really is, including Al. Her natural body and aura is that of a 25-year-old's. She's only aged 25 years. Because of the leap, we can say since she was born in '67 that those 13 years in which she skipped actually count toward her actual age. She won't be taking any other aura because she would leap as herself like Sam did in "Mirror Image." She's a young person who is actually 38. Get it? I've said all I have to say on it now.

I am relaxing

and taking many deep breaths and I'm enjoying our conversation.
by the way I am writing a letter to Dean, Scott and Belsario on when we can expect a date, just roughly, I have have a friend who works with Universal in California, not the theme park but the production company, I am curious on if they're filming right now and some pictures/ updates. Anyways I think I am going to ask whats going on since we haven't heard any news lately.
do yourself a favor, don't be so>: man geeze its just a debate topic.:moon

> I am relaxing

If you're going to take the time to ask your friend who works for Universal about any news about the upcoming movie, I have an idea. If it isn't too much trouble, ask what the deal is with the Quantum Leap DVDs! Maybe he might know some inside information on how the company works and since he's your friend maybe he'll give some real answers instead of slippery vague statements like the spokesperson gave.

I'm sure he's not directly involved in the whole DVD thing, but maybe it can't hurt to ask anyway. I think that'd be a lot more valuable to all of us here than too much info about the upcoming movie. I'd actually rather not know too much about the movie myself or else it would kind of take away the element of surprise when I see it; know what I mean? After we all see it, I'm sure we'll all be quick to be criticizing the logistics of it and such. And by the way, I'm not so >: . Well, not on this topic at least. The DVD issues well...that's a different story!