Fair 3 10.34%
Poor 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #26
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue enigma
Yes, I too am convinced that Al does remember the simo-leap and is pretending he doesn't for a couple of reasons. A big reason is Donna, as you've pointed out [and I still think the keeping knowledge of Donna from Sam thing is crap but I digress]
I'm unsure why I left this unanswered and it's a little off topic so apologies but I agree about the logic of keeping Donna from Sam not being valid and in the 2012 Wizard World con panel Scott expressed also disagreeing. First of all Trilogy part 2 is a large example of the consequences of Sam not knowing that he's married and it's Scott's belief that with the knowledge that Donna understands he wouldn't be concerned.

See my The Leap Back review, I believe I go into this there.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:07 PM   #27
servo75
Imaging Chamber Technician

Default So... Who did kill Janice?

1. Al says that Peter killed Jack in the original history, but how's that possible if Peter's in prison? The question of why Peter would want Jack dead is still unclear to me. Isn't it more likely that Stone was originally killed by Dr. Crane?
On the other hand, in the original history, Peter did successfully commit suicide, so probably it was Sam's changing of history that got Stone killed.

2. So who killed Janice?
Dr. Crane:
1. The drawing by the kid (hand = gloves)
2. The fact that Peter was hypnotized.
3. The metaphor with the heart.
Jack Stone:
1. At the crime scene so quickly.
2. An affair with Janice and killed her in revenge.
3. Crane wasn't seen at the scene until afterward.
Sort of, yes.
Must not be much of a looker, huh?
I wouldn't let her hear you say that.
servo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:40 AM   #28
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Crane confessed to killing Janice during the hypnotism session at the Decaro house:
"I told her that I loved her and that I had to have her heart but that was her problem, she couldn't give me her heart, so I took it."

And I speculate that Peter never killed Jack but that Crane had framed him after successfully hypnotizing Jack to commit suicide by convincing him with more hypnotism that Jack was Janice's killer because he was the lover that she had broken it off with.
Remember he'd tried to project the same story onto Peter when Sam questioned him in the beginning but perhaps Sam showed him the drawing of the gloves the kid had given him before they'd begun that second session at the Decaro house.
In any case, it seems Crane was trying to plant the murder on anyone who was convenient.

Though I'm not able to fit in the phone call between Jack and Janice before the murder and his being the first on the scene nor can I rationalize why Jack would be chosen as the scapegoat.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by Sam Beckett Fan; 07-26-2016 at 03:43 AM.
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #29
chris-oates
Imaging Chamber Technician

Here we reach another episode that I had previously rated several years ago. The rating I gave it at the time was Fair, but now I don't think that's a just rating. On my most recent rewatch, I did rather like this one in some ways.

Let me be clear, I do think this episode is simply too dark for an episode of Quantum Leap. It's no secret that darker eps are not among my favourites. I don't mind if there's a playfulness to them (like with The Boogiem*n and Blood Moon, for example), but not when they're just purely dark. Last Dance before an Execution is an exception, I'll admit, but I do think the story was just far superior to what we got here.

Dreams is a bit of a mess in parts, to be honest. The whole thing with Sam getting those flashes to being a little boy and the black and white scenes were just a little too much. They happened too often. The reveal at the end where we discover that Sam's host had witnessed his own mother's autopsy was, quite frankly, rather disturbing and a bit of a sick twist. The episode is also sluggish in parts, the atmosphere is claustrophobic, etc, etc. There's a whole host of reasons why I'm not too crazy about this episode.

The only real reasons why this episode has escaped a Fair rating this time around is largely thanks to little things. First of all, even in this darkest of all QL episodes, Al still delivers the funny goods. I can't remember his exact lines, but he did make me laugh quite a few times in this episode. He also keeps the episode grounded and makes things feel familiar, because Sam is out of sorts the whole episode so we really need Al here and, as always, Dean delivers on all fronts. Another big reason why I liked it more this time around is thanks to this week's main antagonist, the psychiatrist Dr. Crane (anyone else notice the obvious links to Dr. Frasier Crane from Cheers and Frasier. haha). He was genuinely creepy, menacing and the dude playing the part seemed genuinely unhinged. Definitely a highlight for me. Another small plus point is Roselli, Sam's host's police partner. I really liked her. I also liked the relationship between Stone (Sam's host) and her. I sensed a slight romantic attraction on Roselli's side and was disappointed that she just seemed to disappear towards the end of the episode.

I would have liked to have heard exactly what happened to them at the end. We get no input from Al, Sam just instantly leaps... I did like that look Sam and Al shared, though, just before the leap. Was a pretty powerful moment.

PS. Anyone else think Sam's baby like voice was just completely unnecessary and ridiculous sounding? Real case of unintentional humour (although was actually welcome for some light relief).

My rating. Good. A decent episode in some ways, but very unlike Quantum Leap and way, WAY too dark for my liking.