What if #1: Storylines

TVNewsCam

Project QL Intern
Aug 24, 2006
Chicago
zealous.slasims.com
If additional episodes of Quantum Leap were being made today, what storylines should have been used within your idea episodes?

Please share your ideas, even crossovers or ideas that have resulted in fanfiction being written - but one post per storyline please!

Quantum Leap & the A-Team

Yes, I know this is a crossover idea, and I'm actually writing a fic about it (and have been since 2001), but it totally makes sense. This is mainly because of the common ties with Vietnam, Al and the A-Team being POWs at some point during the war, among many, many other things. I could probably go on and on and on about the similarities!

And don't forget that Dean Stockwell had a guest role on the A-Team as a skirt-chasing cop, very similar to our own Al Calavicci, but his guest appearance was as a bad guy!

Quantum Leap & the A-Team

Yes, I know this is a crossover idea, and I'm actually writing a fic about it (and have been since 2001), but it totally makes sense. This is mainly because of the common ties with Vietnam, Al and the A-Team being POWs at some point during the war, among many, many other things. I could probably go on and on and on about the similarities!

And don't forget that Dean Stockwell had a guest role on the A-Team as a skirt-chasing cop, very similar to our own Al Calavicci, but his guest appearance was as a bad guy!

I'm just getting into the QL fanfic very recently. I agree that QL/A-Team has great potential as a crossover. The Vietnam and POW theme works so well for integrating the two shows. I've seen that episode with Dean Stockwell, too.

I saw that there is one chapter of a QL/A-Team crossover story posted to fanfiction.net. I'm not sure if that's yours but if it is, it's off to a good start. Sam leaps into Murdock, which should be interesting. It would also be fun I think to have Sam leap into B.A. I wonder if Murdock would be able to see Sam instead of B.A., and it would be cool to play around in the story with things like Sam's fear of heights combined with B.A.'s fear of flying.

Good luck with your writing.

Nope, that one isn't mine, although I think I know the one you're talking about. I saw that long time ago, but having Sam Leap into Murdock wouldn't work for what I have in mind. :)

I'll be interested in reading and seeing who you have him leaping into when you post it. Good luck. :)

I always had 2 big story ideas I would have loved to have seen televised in the mid-90s. The first one was the "Future's End" story I wrote for TVS: Sam leaps into his own future to discover that he never leaped home and that the remnants of the Project are now the base of a religious cult devoted to him. Sam's "followers" consist of all the various people he'd leaped into over the course of his lifetime, who look to Sam Beckett as their Savior. His older self returns home to die of old age, but not before telling "our" Sam he has to put right what once went wrong in his own life and leap home someday. When I first envisioned that idea back in 1993, I thought it would have made a great 100th episode for a possible 6th season.

Last edited:
The other grand idea was a crossover between Quantum Leap and Sliders. Even though they were on 2 different networks, they were both owned by Universal and had similar premises. Sliders involved a brilliant grad student named Quinn Mallory who invented a device that enabled him and 3 others to "slide" into parallel dimensions. But of course, something went wrong and they became trapped, sliding randomly from one world to the next trying to find their way home. The show premiered on Fox as a mid-season replacement in 1995 and had a cult following like QL. Early on when the series was still good (before Fox ruined it by replacing the extremely-talented John Rhys-Davies with eye-candy Kari Wuhrer, and placing them in "movie-of-the-week" scenarios that made no logical historical sense), I envisioned a 2-part inter-network crossover between the 2 shows. Part 1 would have been a Sliders episode called "Sliding Into the Fourth Dimension," in which the Sliders' inter-dimensional wormhole would have been diverted into Project Quantum Leap. They would have to team up with Al and find a way to help Sam who has leaped into one of the Kromaggs in a parallel dimension. (Kromaggs are ape-like beings who evolved from early man on an evolutionary scale far different than our own. They discovered how to slide and control it, and invade other dimensions to conquer them.) Upon defeating the Kromaggs, they set off some kind of self-destruct sequence for one of the Kromaggs' Manta ships, and the Sliders open the vortex saying their goodbyes to Sam and Al. Quinn is the last to jump through as he and Sam wish each other luck in returning home someday. At the exact moment the explosion occurs, Quinn jumps through the vortex and Sam leaps, causing them both to simul-leap. The ending/leap-in shows Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo arrive on a new world while Sam arrives with them in his own body and the portal closes. They would say, "But if you're here, then..." followed by Sam looking back finishing, "Where's Quinn?" Teaser then shows Quinn leaping into someone hanging off the edge of a building and saying, "Oh boy!" To be continued on the Quantum Leap episode, "Leapers of Two Worlds," with Quinn as the leaper in Sam's universe, and Sam as a slider in another universe. That's about as far as I got with that idea, because trying to find a way out of that mess was a lot trickier. Would have made a great crossover between two networks, though!

On a side note, it's been a long time, TVNewsCam (not sure if you're trying to remain anonymous). As you can see, many of us aren't here that often anymore. It's good to see you back though. Hopefully, if I can get some of my ideas into fruition, we'll see a QL revival soon enough. Don't want to reveal too much or get people's hopes up; but let's just say, I've started meeting some people in the entertainment industry (producers, composers, writers, actors, etc.) who might be able to make things happen. ;)

Hey Damon! I actually got back into the fandom recently due to re-runs on G4 (which unfortunately are no longer airing), and also a couple of freaky things that was kinda my kick in the butt to get working on my crossover again.

Here's another idea . . .

Sam Leaps in on a car trip, and he sees both Al and Beth (with Al driving). Turns out, he's Leapt into one of Al's daughters! Beyond that, I haven't figured it out yet, but that might be an interesting thing as then Sam could see how - by putting right the wrong for Al - how it's impacted his life.