1110 Where There's Life

Where There's Life

• 5 ? This is an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

• 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters
Our rating system this season consists of five raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 8.2

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Valery S. Gemini said:
I know who Bob Hope is of course, but being a French-speaking European I might have missed some of the subtleties, jokes and references in this story. Never mind, I did enjoy it a lot... because unlike many QL fans, I love when Sam leaps into a famous person: twice as embarrassing for him, and very enjoyable for us.

Sam's mission here being (technically speaking) relatively easy, I'd have loved to read a longer Waiting Room scene, more dialogue with Al (maybe about the Vietnam days?). Bob Hope's monologue in the WR is a great little gem: even alone in this weird place and (before Al arrives) without any audience, he manages to joke. This makes me want to know more about the real BH now...

I've always enjoyed your stories Doug, and this one is no exception. Great job!

RATING: 8

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
A great story. I loved the interaction with Al in the Waiting Room with the real Bob Hope.

I always like your "episodes" Doug. Great job as always! I was grinning all thru it.

RATING: 8

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
This one is very tough for me to rate. I loved Bob Hope... I thought he was one of the greatest entertainers of all time... but I'll be honest, I wasn't a big fan of this story. The celebrity leaps are always touch-and-go with me. The grammatical mistakes also weren't as prevalent this time, but the dialogue seemed a bit excessive at times. And I love the cute little "kisses with history" as much as the next QL fan, but it seemed kind of ridiculous having Al tell Sam, "You did it again," about 2 or 3 times within the same leap.

Still, it is the Christmas season after all, so I'll give it a 7.

RATING: 7

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seeker said:
When I saw your name, Doug, I expected to read a great story, and I was not disappointed. Well done, indeed.

RATING: 9

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Xanadu / Allie Cat / Weitzman (a.k.a. Head Nozzle) said:
Unable to rate.

RATING: NR

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tom Jarret said:
What a great choice of a person for Sam to leap into. Bob Hope could have been America's greatest comedian. I wish I had thought of this idea. Not only was the idea wonderful the execution of the story was great. I could hear the jokes in Bob Hope's own voice. This story is certainly a great memoriam to him. Thanks for the story.

RATING: 9

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited by a moderator:
(Originally posted by MikeKraken at: 12/9/04 12:48 am)

Nice episode, Doug! I enjoyed the interplay between Sam and Al, and that poem at the end was great. I would have liked to have seen a bit more character development with Mr. Lum; learn something more about him. It was interesting all of the famous names your dropped in this episode, too.

?Why can?t we just have a doorknob on this thing??

<LOL> Nice homage to "Genesis"...

?Al, quit it. Stifle yourself!?

The first thing I thought of was "All in the Family" when I read this... and lo and behold, that's what you were referencing.

... Mike. ^_^

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
MikeKraken's Web Site
Star Trek for Leapers forum
Future's Past RPG

(Originally posted by DeadZoneLeaper at: 1/10/05 7:41 pm)

I enjoyed this story altho I agree with some other comments that I wish there was more to it as far as Mr. Lum and even getting a chance to know Bob Hope as being more of a jokester...I kinda wanted to see a serious side to the entertainer, but it was still an enjoyable read.., I got the All in the Family joke right away (recognized Lachman's name)

QLAVATAR3.jpg

1) Mark Robbins from my QL:TVS story "Touch 'Em All" (based on a picture of me of course)
2) One of my fave shows other than QL: USA Network's Dead Zone
3) One of my fave 80's shows of all time: Greatest American Hero
4) LONG LIVE THE RESISTANCE!!!
5) The Legend Continues - True Callings Trilogy: dedicated to real heroes
--------------
DZL - A child of the 80's

(Originally posted by leaper1 at: 1/22/05 4:50 pm)

Being a Brit left me missing some of the references too - All in the Family has been over here I think, but I've never caught it.
I try not to let things like that spoil a story for me, though, and I hope that if I put British slanted references in my stories then my Trans-Atlantic friends aren't put off either (like the 'listen very carefully, I can say this only once' bit in "Leap to the Rescue" - 'Allo, 'Allo style.)
On the whole I enjoyed this better than some of Doug's earlier offerings, it seemed more fleshed out, (and I'm starting to be able to picture Sam and Al as you describle them gesticulating etc.) though I too would have liked to see Mr Lum developed more.
Highlight for me was the great line about the throne room with the flip up seat. Nice one Doug!

Helen

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.
(Leo Buscaglia)

Leap and the net will appear. (Anon)

Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.
(Charles Dickens)

(Originally posted by RossBeckett at: 4/15/05 10:47 am)

Excellent story Doug! I always look forward to your episodes(especially the celebrity leaps). I loved the homage to the first season IC door. Although I never heard of Mort Lachman, I have certainly seen Norman Lear's name in the end credits of All in the Family. I haven't watched enough of the show to know which "Archie-ism" you were referencing, but fortunately I was able to make an educated guess by re-reading the part and got that Al was talking about the "Stifle yourself" comment.

Man, 2 kisses with history in 1 eppy. You sure know how to please me and others like me. First Tom Selleck, then Bob Hope, and hopefully within the next 2 seasons, 1 of 6 actors which paid back Britain for the Beatles, David Schwimmer. Unfortunately, after reading some of the reviews for this story I was thinking that my story may not appeal to the people who don't like the celeb leaps as much. I don't think Don Bellisario was even a big supporter of the idea seeing that he made the rule #5 but then he was kind of forced into it by NBC and Oliver Stone's JFK. But, I loved all of the celebrity leaps, from Dr. Ruth to Bob Hope(no Oswald doesn't count ).
My rating: 5
Great job again!

Steve
RossBeckett

Tom Nevers Field(Wings Online Community)
"String Theory? It closed the conceptual gulp between reletivity and quantum mechanics. It postulates that subatomic particles are not points, but strings, about 1 planck length long. The rate at which strings vibrate can generate the properties of all known particles. Huh! How did I know that?" -Willie Garson(as Lee Harvey Oswald) on Quantum Leap.
"It's seven years ago. My time machine works!"-Matthew Perry(Friends)
"When you said to Cmdr. Riker, "The clown can stay, but the Ferengi in the gorilla suit have to go", you told the joke, that was the punchline. Data, that was seven years ago! I know, I just got it! Very funny!
~Conversation between Geordi and Data in Star Trek: Generations.
rossbeckett2002@yahoo.com

Originally edited by: RossBeckett at: 4/15/05 10:51 am