I have just seen...

SamBeckett94

Project QL Intern
Jan 21, 2007
What were/are your favorite TV shows or films?

As for me, I liked Mel Brooks' films, like Spaceballs and High Anxiety.
I also like the original Doctor Who episodes, quite a lot more than the new ones. Tom Baker's portrayal attracted me to the programme, but I think Jon Pertwee was equally as good.

I also LOVE Mel Brooks movies, my husband got me addicted and whenever I need a good laugh I'll sit down and watch one. I love pure entertainment, anything that you can leave your brain in the bin on the way in and pick it up on the way out, there's enought crap and stress in real life without going to the movies to watch something thats "emotional an challenging". But my all time favourites are movies by "Working Dog Productions" The Dish, The Castle and my all time favourite "Crackerjack" They are all Australian comedys and if any of you ever get a chance to watch "Crackerjack" please do as I would love to know what non aussies think of it.

I quite enjoy Smallville abd Star Trek Enterprise (although they took it off UPN like the meanie bo-beanies they are so now I have to somehow get a hold of the DVDs :p)

I have several films which are 'favorites' for different reasons.

Overall, it is hard to say which would rate no 1 as it depends on the mood I'm in etc. but top three would probably be:

"A Matter of Life & Death" with David Niven - the first ever Royal Command performance film from the mid 40's, cleverly using both black and white and color.

"Dangerous Beauty" which over here was called "Honest Courtesan" and has a soundtrack (wonderful music) entitled "A Destiny of Her Own". A very powerful and emotional movie.

"The Slipper & the Rose" - a Cinderella story with a difference, and containing 'our song' for hubby and me.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
I quite enjoy Smallville abd Star Trek Enterprise (although they took it off UPN like the meanie bo-beanies they are so now I have to somehow get a hold of the DVDs :p)

I just have to say the the 'meanie bo-beanies' just gave me such a giggle. I even managed to slip it into conversation today, ok, it was only with a couple of 8 year old, but hey, they laughed!!!!

Has anyone here seen the remale of the Poseidon Adventure (Poseidon)?
It was a really good film, though I preferred the original.

SamBeckett94 said:
Has anyone here seen the remake of the Poseidon Adventure (Poseidon)?
It was a really good film, though I preferred the original.

Yes, I have seen it, and I too preferred the original, though the remake had some good moments.

I saw the remake of Poseidon on the plane back from LA last year, and I fell asleep! Really couldn't get into it, but I wanted to watch it as I was lucky enough to see the set in Los Angeles when it was filming, and it was just incredible!

My favourite tv shows: anything Scott has been in; Supernatural; Bones; Dexter; Six Feet Under; Smallville; Veronica Mars; Gilmore Girls; Heroes; ER; Friends; Red Dwarf; Dead Like Me; Buffy; Angel, Ugly Betty; House. I watch waaaaaaaaay too much television!

My Favorite films, in no particular order are: Kill Bill Volumes 1 & 2, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Battle Royale, Ghost World, Back to the Future, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Anchorman, Spirited Away, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds(and im looking forwards to GrindHouse)

I rented a video the other night - the film was Freddy vs Jason. Quite entertaining. The title says it all.
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
I was quite surprised that Jason managed to kill Freddy with Freddy's own arm, though, but when Jason pulled Freddy's head out of the lake, Freddy gave us a wink.
(referring to spoiler) I think, because he was apparently alive, that there'll be a second film.

The film was mroe of a Nightmare on Elm Street with Jason Voorhees in it rather than a Friday the 13th with Freddy Krueger in it.

Films: Back to the Futre (1&2 - the wild west one wasn't exactly a hootnanny or howdown for me), Aliens, Police Academy, Scarface, Goodfellas, Serenity (Oi, FOX! Renew Firefly now!!!), Shaun of the Dead's class, True Lies ooh and the Star Wars (good ones) and Indiana Jones Trilogies.

As for TV; Star Trek: TNG and Enterprise, Miami Vice, Sliders, The Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, South Park, Buffy and Angel (Joss Whedon = Genius/ Geek God), Firefly, LOST and Heroes.

And EmmaCMF thought she watched too much TV!!! :)

I dont watch much tv at all, as 'reality' shows, sport or soap operas have taken over, over here :(
Digital isnt optimized for my area either. so until then, its the PC and City of Heroes
the only thing I watched last night was Space Cowboys

I used to watch QL, Star trek (any) B5, Xfiles, Dr Who, (The short lived) Sapphire and Steel, Hitchhikers GTTG & Red Dwarf.
Will try and see Heroes when it comes to terrestrial tv.

Mr Qestionmark said:
I dont watch much tv at all, as 'reality' shows, sport or soap operas have taken over, over here :(.

Just wondering if you have been watching "Life on Mars" They have been showing it on the ABC here and I think its great, just wondering since you are in the UK if you have been watching and and what you thought of it. I unfortunately have missed 2 eps of it, one as my husband taped the wrong channel and the second because I was so tired I completely forgot to tape it at all, I was really upset!!!

Bexter said:
Just wondering if you have been watching "Life on Mars" They have been showing it on the ABC here and I think its great, just wondering since you are in the UK if you have been watching and and what you thought of it. I unfortunately have missed 2 eps of it, one as my husband taped the wrong channel and the second because I was so tired I completely forgot to tape it at all, I was really upset!!!

It is a brilliant show - much in the same vain as Doctor Who (Actually for all you trivia-hunters John Simm (Sam Tyler) is currently guest starring in Doctor Who S3 as
The evil timelord The Master!

Unfortunately it did end this year although the ending was brilliant and a new spin-off ''Ashes to Ashes'' starring Gene Hunt in the 1980's will be airing on british telly next year. :hmm

Enterprise said:
It is a brilliant show

I'm glad someone else likes it, I've been talking about it to everyone here and keep getting met with blank stares, :banghead. It was only an accident that I came across it myself. We have 2 more eps of series 1 here and then I don't know when they'll show series 2, I guess it will be released on DVD at some point and I will grab it. Does Ashes to Ashes have a time twist to it as well? I love Gene "If anything 'appens to this motor, I'm gunna come in there and step on all your toys" You gotta luv it!!
What a shame it ended, its really grabbed my imagination, I keep lying in bed thinking of awsome plot twists and scenarios for it. **Sigh** Thats to problem with British series, they are way way too short, and the problem with australian series are they are way way too long!!!

Yeah there are only 8 episodes a series.... 8! Madness!! But anyway I think the Ashes to Ashes spin-off is based around another female detective who [Does something to do with the series finale that would spoil everything so I won't say it] who somehow ends up with Gene 'Genie' Hunt in 1980's London and has to find their way home - a la Quantum Leap...

That be said - shennanigans and shouts of 'Oi! Slag!' ensue.

Enterprise said:
But anyway I think the Ashes to Ashes spin-off is based around another female detective who [Does something to do with the series finale that would spoil everything so I won't say it] who somehow ends up with Gene 'Genie' Hunt in 1980's London and has to find their way home - a la Quantum Leap...quote]

Sounds awsome!! It would be great if they bring back sam (why are all time travellers called sam?) However I heard [insert name of actor who plays sam] mouthed off about the producers cutting costs in seasion 2 of mars, so me suspects he ain't too popular now. I may enjoy ashes to ashes even more, I'm an eighties girl at heart,:dreaming besides even the slightest sci-fi overtones and i'm into it, boots and all.

I think that John Simm (Sam) won't be returning, he left the show because he was afraid of becoming typecast (read=was a wuss) and probably the best you'll get will be like 1 cameo appearance, if that.

I don't watch TV as much as I used to but my favourite TV shows (apart from QL) are Red Dwarf, Futurama, Sliders, Miami Vice, Due South, The Simpsons and the short-lived Eerie Indiana.

I also quite like Doctor Who, both the old and new series (which is nearly always a bit of a mixed bag for me), although the season finale was on earlier and I quite enjoyed it. Did anyone else watch it?

Danny Phantom said:
I also quite like Doctor Who, both the old and new series (which is nearly always a bit of a mixed bag for me), although the season finale was on earlier and I quite enjoyed it. Did anyone else watch it?

Watched it and quite enjoyed it although

I couldn't help thinking when they all chanted "Doctor" and he came back from the 'Dobby' like form, that I was watching Peter Pan trying to revive Tinkerbell!

leaper1 said:
Watched it and quite enjoyed it although

I couldn't help thinking when they all chanted "Doctor" and he came back from the 'Dobby' like form, that I was watching Peter Pan trying to revive Tinkerbell!

I loved the Dr Who Season ender. I can't stand the 'old' Dr Whos, became a fan with Christopher Ecclestone, and I'm now completely in love with David Tennant, who is just amazing.

LOVE that Captain Jack ends up as the Face of Bo. Made perfect sense for some reason!

Heads Up to members in the UK: 'Dexter' launches on fox this month. If you're a fan of shows like Six Feet Under, be sure to check it out. It's about a blood splatter expert working for Miami PD who is a serial killer in his downtime - though he only kills other serial killers/bad guys. It's pretty gruesome in parts, but brilliant. Stars Michael C Hall from the aforementioned Six Feet Under.

Just bought the Police Squad! DVD. I remember watching this in 1982! Superb. I also love the Naked Gun trilogy.

I also bought Jason Takes Manhattan on DVD. Absolute rubbish. Spends about twenty-two seconds in New York.

Bexter said:

unfortunately due to work that is one I missed :( and forgot to record as well. :(

Mr Qestionmark said:
unfortunately due to work that is one I missed :( and forgot to record as well. :(

You could probably buy it from the BBC shop (do you have a BBC shop?, we have the ABC shop so assume you have the BBC shop) Would be worth it cause it was great, and if you think its crap you can always sell it on Ebay, I'l buy it!! We had last of series 1 last night which was brialliant, Not sure when season 2 starts but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled. Does anyone know when season 2 of Primeval is going to start? Loved that show too, UK is bringing out some great SciFi, but the series are way too short.:realmad

SamBeckett94 said:
Just bought the Police Squad! DVD. I remember watching this in 1982! Superb. I also love the Naked Gun trilogy.

Oh you would get on soooo well with my husband!!! He dragged me along to naked gun 33 1/3 when we were dating, i had no idea what it was going to be about and it only went for just over an hour (I remember that part really well) I didn't even have to duck out to the loo during the movie. Totally loved it though! Love movies where you can leave your brain in the bin on the way in.:p