Gooshie

admiralal90

Project QL Intern
Aug 8, 2005
USA
I wonder in the new movie will they have a replacement for him? since hes dead in real life jus wondering...:wavey

admiralal90 said:
I wonder in the new movie will they have a replacement for him? since hes dead in real life jus wondering...:wavey

A way for them to get round this is simple. With Sam "missing presumed dead" funding for Project Quantum Leap would have been cut down and basically a skeleton staff would have been kept just in case Sam ever returned. And maybe the goverment thought Gooshie surplus to requirements and transferred somewhere else. Or maybe they could kill the character off in between Mirror Image and Bold Leap Forward.

my thoughts on it are to have the real Gooshie die, the way he did in real life.

I wrote a short story on that... in the fanfiction area!

Although I agree that it would be hard to replace Dennis Wolfberg as Gooshie, the character himself would be sorely missed, IMO, in a new version of "Quantum Leap" (be it a telefilm or a series). I think there must be someone out there close enough in appearance to Mr. Wolfberg that they could pull off a good Gooshie.

... Mike. ^_^
(post #30)

The skeleton staff is a more plausible way of going that way. But y'all are right, it wouldn't be the same without Gooshie. Then again, we only saw him maybe 5 tims in the series, but who else would Al want to center him on Sam?

Samantha Beckett

Well, I usually hate it when a new actor takes over a part for another actor. It's just never the same. So, I'd have to say that I think the movie should reflect real-life in that sense. I mean, although the script has been scrapped, I think it's still safe to say that a new movie/series would take place in present day (if anything, for Sam and Al's ages).

And if that's the case, Project Quantum Leap would have most logically been shut down for a number of years. From what we saw of the Senate Committee hearing in "Honeymoon Express," it appears that Al would have to renew funding for the Project annually. According to the series, the last we saw of Gooshie and PQL was in 1999/2000 depending on script drafts for "Mirror Image." Helen (asearcher) had a great idea that the Project could receive funding from corporate sponsors like Bill Gates, for example, so maybe there could be a loophole around that. (Although, I have to wonder if any corporate sponsor would donate money to a top secret project that the general public isn't supposed to know about...)

Eh, so anyway, what I'm getting at here is that PQL's staff were most likely separated if the Project was shut down. Gooshie could have gone on to other projects (much like how Al was supposed to have become a college professor). Or, they could mention that he had passed away. Personally, I think the best thing to do is to say that he got transferred elsewhere.

*Shameless plugosity*

The way I got round it in my fanfiction was to have the best of both worlds -
I had Gushie die a hero's death in "Run for their Lives" at www.fanfiction.net (which I dedicated to the memory of Dennis Wolfberg) but his replacement, David Beckett, had to agree to answer to the 'nickname' Gushie whenever he was on duty.

Thus, our original Gushie died, but we still get to hear Al saying "Gushie, centre me on Sam". That way, neither Sam, nor Wietzman and the committee, are any wiser as to the substitution.

leaper1 said:
*Shameless plugosity*

The way I got round it in my fanfiction was to have the best of both worlds -
I had Gushie die a hero's death in "Run for their Lives" at www.fanfiction.net (which I dedicated to the memory of Dennis Wolfberg) but his replacement, David Beckett, had to agree to answer to the 'nickname' Gushie whenever he was on duty.

Thus, our original Gushie died, but we still get to hear Al saying "Gushie, centre me on Sam". That way, neither Sam, nor Wietzman and the committee, are any wiser as to the substitution.
i like that idea:D

I have to agree; I wouldn't want another actor to take the role, even though we haven't seen all that much of Gooshie. The 'skeleton staff' idea seems plausible, and I also like the idea of nicknaming the replacement Gooshie, so Sam doesn't know. It would just sound so... wrong if Al didn't yell "Gooshie! Center me on Sam!" at some point.

I think you guys here should write the script for this film!
Then we'd know you'd do it 100% justice!
This film sounds great and everything, i know it's still early days though.

But do you think Scott Bakula will be in it at all? I hope so, cause without him, i don't think i'd enjoy it. I know dean stockwell is the idea man behind it. and that don bellisario will be doing all the script and stuff.

So Scott should be asked and he should have no reason not to say yes.

Well i will await this movie with faith and optimism and well it might be a bit of a wait.

So Scott should be asked and he should have no reason not to say yes.
Keep in mind, though, that this may not be something he's interested in doing at the moment. Currently Scott will be starring in Shenandoah at Ford's Theater in Washington, DC and there is a long-shot possiblity of him doing work on Broadway at some future point. It may be that at this point in time he wants to go back to working in live theater.

Now I know that in the interview done on the QL soundtrack he did express an interest in playing the part of Sam again but keep in mind that that was about 12 years ago and things do change in that amount of time.

He said in many interviews that filming QL was a very time intensive thing for him and I'm sure he's experienced the same thing with Enterprise for four years. It may well be that he's a point in his career where he doesn't want to be facing the time and rigors involved in a TV series. He also has young children and I'm sure he'd like to be able to spend time with them while they're growing up.

At this point, I'm just hoping he'll play a role in a new QL show; it doesn't have to be a big role, just enough to know Sam's still out there. I rather liked the idea of having his daughter search for him, which would mean he could still appear in the show, but not have as big a role.

admiralal90 said:

Your icon makes me giggle! I was the one that captured that screenshot! Back in 98 or so from one of the many VHS recordings I had of QL. That episode was a plague to me, because I kept missing it when it was on! Finally got it on USA about a couple days after it aired on SciFi...

admiralal90 said:

well first I must say hi again, its been a long while. Had to move times before I could get settaled down.

Anyway, I am sorry to have to ask this but I don't know who your talking about. (being I can't go back and read all the back posts.)

Who died?:cry

jmellissa said:
well first I must say hi again, its been a long while. Had to move times before I could get settaled down.

Anyway, I am sorry to have to ask this but I don't know who your talking about. (being I can't go back and read all the back posts.)

Who died?:cry

Dennis Wolfberg, who played Gushie (or Gooshie - the debate goes on regarding the spelling) died in 1994.

Gooshie vs. Gushie

Well, Mr. Wolfberg preferred the spelling with the double O (and it was also the more common spelling in the scripts), so I personally respect that spelling. Not to mention, phonetically, "goosh" sounds closer to how they pronounced his name than "gush". :b

... Mike.

A cushion is, but I have never heard the word 'cushie'. I always thought the name was written Gooshie, simply because of the double 'o' sounding the same as in the word 'good'.

Gooshie is a funny nickname but I am sure you could come up with another character with another "Gooshie like name" how about "Weezie" oops that has been taken.

In "The Novel" they spell his name different than the "Gooshie" which I agree sounds better.

I can't remember how they spelled it. I just thought it looked wrong.

I think it was missing an 'o'...and had a u or something.

Wow, I didn't know DW had died. That's sad. I guess he had what I'd consider a small but Pivotal role inthe show. Bugger.

I didn't know the film idea had not completely carked. Much as I think QL without the charismatic Scott/Sam would be lesser, the idea is great enough to work with whoever.

Nytrydr said:
Wow, I didn't know DW had died. That's sad. I guess he had what I'd consider a small but Pivotal role inthe show. Bugger.

Wow, I didn't know either. Very sad indeed. :cry

RIP, Dennis Wolfberg.

He was a funny comic indeed! I still miss his squinty eyes and halitosis :x I don't know if anyone else thought of this since I did not read many of the older posts in this thread, but what about if he and TINA had a baby? He grows up and takes Dad's place not long after Career Day?? Nah. That sucks.
Continued R.I.P. DW... :wavey

the burning question isnt wether or not gushie can be replaced but rather does teh timeline exist anymore...al's got beth...sam never meets him at starbright etc...same ole story....i think they shld do a prequel of sorts...the starbright project leading up to maybe footage of teh genesis tagged on end of film...