The War in Iraq (kinda sorta rant)

• Thread starter DBS Producer Aurora
  • Start date
D

DBS Producer Aurora

Okay, with everything that's been going on in the last 24 hours I've been slowly tied up into a bundle of knots. Right now I'm sitting on the fence, undecided if this whole thing is good or bad.

On one hand, I abhor killing and definitely don't like the thought of war. When I heard earlier that there had been some civilian casualties in the bombing I was shocked and horrified at the loss of life. Then hearing that they were targeting sites where the Iraqi leadership was supposedly holed up, I got chills. They've even said that the bunker where Saddam's wife, who probably had nothing to do with this, has been bonbed. My jaw hit the floor.

*sigh*

On the other hand, part of me understands that diplomacy hasn't worked. That they gave them plenty of time to comply with the UN's orders and that this is a last resort action. Althought they haven't gotten full support for the UN, the US has gotten military support from the UK and from Australia and Turkey has already said that they can use their airspace. So obviously, somewhere, that I can't see right now, this is right to some people.

So.. I say, have your war if you must. But know when to stop before it gets out of hand. I'll pray for peace but I'll steel myself when I watch the news.

Aurora

I am one of those Americans that just doesn't think what we are doing is right. It's a scary thing to be at war. I live right next to Sunny Point Military Base - a huge weapons storage and shipping port. Also, there is a nuclear power plant in town. Very scary to know you are a potential target.

Nothing to be done now that it has started, but I pray it ends quickly and eventually has some sort of meaning when it's all over and done.

I guess that I'm one of those people who think that though war is a bad thing.... I'm glad that finally some kind of action has been taken.

Gasp all you want at me.

In the last (I think) two months, I heard a song over and over again by David Worrley (I don't even know if I spelled that right) called "Do you remember". So many people don't want the war to happen and the song points out all the many things that has happened since 9/11 ...

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the killing any more than anyone else in the world. I don't like it. Period. But when I look back at what these dictators from overseas have done to us ... to the American people on our own land... it tears me up inside and it makes me a very angry and bitter woman when I think about what they did.

On 9/11 they attacked and killed so many people ... innocent people, and to tell you the truth, I'm surprised that President Bush didn't just throw down the perverbial pen and say 'blow them off the face of the planet.'

I watched the president as well as the rest of the world the other day when he came on and told Hussein that he had 48 hours to get out. I was standing in the middle of gym listening to and watching him... there were people all around in front of me... and when he said you have 48 hours... I don't know how many people said, "yes and amen."

They have attacked. They have abused us. They have taken our kids... our innocents... not just Americans... but everyone... every nation that was in those towers...

I'm sorry but this is a rant from my end.

We gave him two more years! Two years and then finally said... in plain terms we aren't going to take it anymore. I think that we had that right years ago! So... yes, I think that President Bush is doing what he thinks is best... and I think that he prayed long and hard before he came to this decision.

But then again... we all have our opinions on the war. I'm not trying to force mine on anyone. I'm just saying my own. If you agree... fine. If you don't... fine. Let me have my say and I'll be done.

I don't know about you, but I'll be praying for our President, just as I have in the past. Praying that this will be over soon...

The only thing that I want is peace...

May we all get it someday.

I couldn't respond to this last night because I was too tired, but I kind of agree with MJ.

I absolutely, positively HATE war, but, hey, our government ignored the problem of terrorism for years because they thought we were untouchable. Well, guess what, they were wrong. Unfortunately, it took something as tragic as 9/11 to prove that.

A lot of us in NY, including myself, really thought the world was coming to an end on September 11. I was in shock for about 2 or 3 days, waiting for "the other shoe to drop." Even now, 18 months later, I still break down in tears knowing how many innocent people lost their lives that day. And none of those people ever did anything to deserve what happened to them.

So, I'm sorry to say, but despite how much I abhor war and wanton destruction, I think this is something that needs to be done, not just for our safety, but for the safety of generations of come. I'd hate to think where we'd all be now if the U.S. had decided to keep our backs turned on the world after Pearl Harbor. "Evil prevails because good people do nothing." Maybe if God decided to take a personal hand in averting terrorism from diisrupting our way of life, we wouldn't have to resort to war to protect ourselves. But He gave us ALL free will, and unfortunately He gave it to men who would do evil onto us as well. I feel that if we do nothing, then they're just going to keep attacking us until we're all dead.

I'm sorry if some of you think less of me now as a result of this, but it's how I feel. You're all entitled to your own opinions as I am of mine. I don't think any of us are right or wrong in how we feel. It's what makes us different from one another. And like all of you, I will be praying for a quick and peaceful resolution to this war on terror, before it costs us more than we can imagine.

Damon

I guess I'm the outsider, here

While I don't support the dictators, like Brian, I can't support the war, either.

This isn't about 09/11... not really. There isn't a clearly defined reason for going after Saddam. The defiance over the banned weapons... well, sure, but the man's NOT threatening anybody with them, nor is there public proof on their existance. This invasion is going to prove or not prove that they exist.

The fact that Saddam has terrorized his own people, including gassing them... public record. Also, mostly years ago.

The big stretch over all of this is the Iraqis rights of the people. Sure the dictator is evil. What dictator ISN'T??

However, I do believe it's more about oil.

The other problem is the whole Zionist/Muslim viewpoints going on. To be perfectly honest, Usama retaliated against the people that have been helping oppress his people, by supporting the nation of Isreal. Whenever Isreal has overstepped it's bounds, the Muslims have retaliated, only to be pushed back time and time again by the Military presence of our Warships, backing the Israelies.

This is where I fall back on my old pulpit of pulling out of the mideast all together, and let those bastards all destroy each other. We have no business over there at all. We certainly didn't back in Truman's time when he FOUNDED the farkin' place.

The muslims of that region were ousted, and they've been fighting back ever since. The Israelies wanted their birth home back, and are fighting because they stand by their faith that section of land was given to them BY GOD!

Now, you tell me. WHAT in the name of God Almighty does that have to do with America in any shape or form?

Pull back, and protect our own! You mess with us, and we'll fight back harshly. But if we pull out, they will have no legitimate gripe against us any more, save that there will always be those that cling to old wounds and scars and maintain their anger over the initial conflict in the first place.

Definately a lose/lose situation... no matter how it all turns up!

Matt

Sorry I'm late on this reply.

I agree with a little bite of what everyone here has said. That said, here is my point of view (stricktly) my point of view.

First this has nothing to do (in my opinion) with the war on terror. I don't really think Saddam had anything but a passing contact with Osama. From what I've heard Osama doesn't like Saddam because Iraqi is a "secular" state. And we all know that Osama's dream state is a Taliban type world. Unlike Matt, I don't really think this has very much to do with oil. (Just another reason why like Gore said we should develop other forms of renewable fuel i.e., corn, solar, wind etc.) And let's face it -- it's not for the poor people of Iraq that we're doing this. Yes they are ruled by a terrible and vile man, but they've been suffuring under his rule for what 30 years! If we really cared so much about repressed and abused people, why have we turned our backs on various countries in Africa. I guess a middle eastern life is much more important and valuable then Africian?

No, I think that the main reason that we are at war is because the war on terror has kind of pettered out. We haven't gotten Osama, we're constantly at "high" alert. And funny how all the talk of invading Iraq really started heating up last September. (Hummm....just a few months before the November elections?) All I can say is that they better find some massive evidence of "weapons of mass destruction" or we're going to look like the biggest jack a*** in the world.

If we win this war, (not a sure thing, just ask the Vietnam vets) we better next go to the Isreal and Palestinian problem and finally settle it. I mean really settle it, fairly! I'm sorry to say that even I can see that all administrations, democrates and republicians, have given Isreal undo support. Yes the Palestinian's have encouraged terror attacks. But I'm sorry the Isrealies aren't much better. Unfortunately, when you are at war with someone you think is evil, eventually you start act just like them. The Isrealies take advantage of every opportunity, with their settlers contiuning to settle in occupied lands even when they're trying to work out a truce or start the peace talks once again. If the Americans were just seen to not favor the Jewish people as much as we have in the past and helped to broker a deal that would get the Palestinians a fair state, that would probably get ride of half the woodbe terrorist in training. No not all of them, their will still be some that will find any reason to hate us, but a few less is always a good thing.

That said and my rant complete. Although I think the war was started for completely stupid reasons, I will support our troops and hope and pray that they all come home safe and healthy.

Later Leapers!

--Anna--