OT: A childhood icon has passed...

D

Dman176

They just said on the news that Mr. Rogers passed away at the age of 74. Next to Sesame Street, I can't think of any other show that made me feel happier as a little boy. Fred Rogers was a very caring, generous, and wonderful man who taught children about such values as sharing, respect for others, and embracing everyone as equals. And he did it just by talking to us in that tender way that made the children and parents alike feel special and loved. This is indeed a sad day. He shall surely be missed.

Damon

Well said Damon!

The Reverand Rogers shall indeed be missed. I mean, you grow up with the guy, learn about special people and things... and then when you get older, it sometimes becomes a joke to accidently stumble upon his show, and yet, you can't help but smile at what you used to LOVE so much.

I remember when The Electric Company did the same thing. Morgan Freeman is now a very famous actor, but he worked on that show for MANY years!! And I learned a lot from that show. I liked it better than Sesame Street!

R.I.P. Mr. Rogers. The Neighborhood just won't be the same now that you've gone onto your reward. :angel

Re: Well said Damon!

Damon,

You know, Fred Rogers was the only person who addressed children having fears about the Gulf War back in 1991/2. Heaven help us all, because I think the Good Lord takes His own to Himself. I shudder to think what's coming...

Matt,

Electric Company was one of the greatest TV shows there was. Not only was Morgan Freeman on it, but Rita Moreno was also. The reason you learned more from that show than from Sesame Street is because on the Electric Company they taught, and here comes a dirty word in education these days,
PHONICS!!! They have brought back this concept in a show called Between the Lions, which is about Libraries. Begin to read "between the lions." A clever play on words and also an image of going up the steps "between the lions" into a Library. Cute, huh?