Quantum Leap - Jump the Shark? Never!!

alsplacebartender said:
Oh you mean like the evil leaper episodes? :)
No I mean Sam's sidekick.Sam would leap into let's say a Nazi and then his sidekick leap into a Jew.They are both on the path of good but they have to remain on that certain path timeline to succeed with their mission.They are on the same team but as fate would have it they are on opposing sides.

That's what I was saying!

It would be wierd, because from the essence of the show you could get that if a leaper failed their mission then they would be stuck in that place forever - so just who would succeed?

alsplacebartender said:
Oh.... that would have been very interesting! Cool idea. Someone should write something like that.
That would be a very interesting concept...even if it was another (done right) simo-leap with Al!

Uhhmm..........how can a show jump the shark in a season which had, imho, some of the best episodes of the entire show?

If having a couple of mediocre episodes is a criterium then the show jumped way back in season 2!

I think that's Grimlock's point. People often latch onto an episode or character that they don't like and say oh! the show jumped the shark there! But jumping the shark doesn't mean "having a mediocre episode." It means changing the basic premise of the show in a way that it can't come back from, in a desperate attempt to grab ratings. Since QL never betrayed its premise, despite having some mediocre or even downright bad episodes in its 4 1/2 year run, it never JTS.

Got the Mag....

Hey everyone, just picked up the mag today and it's a really good article. Written from the perspective of someone who Sam has leapt into!

:hurray: The writers have obviously got something against the Evil Leapers though! I'll quote about Evil Leaper 3:

'In a convulted and poorly acted episode (more caged ham theb Caged Heart), Alia's helper Zoey also leapt into the prison and the whole thing became a jumbled mess, as the writers fell over themselves trying to work out who could see who.'

From the Riding the Wave shark graph they say the show jumped sometime between It's a Wonderful leap and the Evil Leaper Trilogy. The high point of the series is The Leap Home - and too right!!

They also mention about NBC's hatred of the show and shuffling around the schedules - that was a main contributor to the decline of viewers even though the loyal fanbase stood true, flooding them with letters. :rolleyes

The picture choices are good too, with some nice group shots of Sam and Al and images from The Leap Home, the one where he's a lawyer in south USA for a black girl, and when he's a pianist - sorry can't remember names!! :eek

I'd recommend any UK readers to get this mag for the QL coverage, or you know - someone could scan it.

Enterprise said:
From the Riding the Wave shark graph they say the show jumped sometime between It's a Wonderful leap and the Evil Leaper Trilogy. The high point of the series is The Leap Home - and too right!!

First of all, there is no such thing as an 'Evil Leaper trilogy', as the episodes are far apart from eachother (ep1 from ep2 and ep3).

So, let's assume their graph actually means the first evil leaper episode (after that are the best episodes ever imo and my jaw-dropping only goes to a certain point).

What is between these two episodes (amongst others)? The Curse of Ptah-Hotep, A Leap For Lisa, LHO and Killin' Time (just to only name the episodes which most people find pleasing).

I really don't know whether to laugh or to cry at the article in question. I also don't understand why the show jumped BEFORE the Evil Leaper episodes (which apparently is their point of hatred).

Oh, and I also don't agree with their high point (what exactly is their reasoning in this?). If you want to put the highpoint so early in the series, it is way better to choose M.I.A.

Oooh aah! Don't shoot the messenger I was only quoting!!

The article actually says (Just re-read, original post a bit rushed) that it jumped at the point in Evil Leaper III: Revenge where Sam goes completely out of character and against all his morals to shoot Zoey and 'Blow the biatch away'.

They also say that the themetune change contributed, and Blood Moon and Dr.Ruth were absolute pap, but altogether it picked up on the last episodes, and the finale was very good apart from the lack of closure.

Enterprise said:
Oooh aah! Don't shoot the messenger I was only quoting!!

The article actually says (Just re-read, original post a bit rushed) that it jumped at the point in Evil Leaper III: Revenge where Sam goes completely out of character and against all his morals to shoot Zoey and 'Blow the biatch away'.

They also say that the themetune change contributed, and Blood Moon and Dr.Ruth were absolute pap, but altogether it picked up on the last episodes, and the finale was very good apart from the lack of closure.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was talking about the makers of the article.

By the way, how is self defence an ultimate jump the shark moment?

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exvVtmHOiSY

I must have missed the whole "blow the biatch away" :rolleyes

Season 5

Season 5 was the first one I saw and I don't subscribe to the view that it went downhill with that season. I don't like Dr Ruth but I think that the Evil Leaper stories and the Trilogy tried to do something different. That's the thing about 5 - there were such a mix of experimental episodes in there (Lee Harvey Oswald, Killin' Time, Evil Leaper, Trilogy, Blood Moon, the Celeb leaps, The Leap Between the States, Mirror Image) that it added some innovation. Okay, some of the experiments didn't work so well but there were attempts to stretch the format.

BTW, I don't know why, but I really like Blood Moon!

LadyKayoss said:
:lol I'm just trying to imagine Sam saying that... It's a rather amusing thought.

It made me laugh at it..hehehe *has a really good idea of what it would sound like in her head*

I guess I'm in the minority here. I thought the show went downhill in season 5. Don had always said he'd never do stories like the Elvis, Lee Harvey, etc. (real stories...other than kisses with history) I was sad when it ended but wasn't thrilled with the direction it was headed. I didn't like the evil leaper story either.