Bryan Singer’s Quantum Leap?

Kal-El

Project QL Intern
Nov 3, 2005
Given the scifi.com’s article titled Singer Signs ABC TV Deal’, which appears below:

Superman Returns director Bryan Singer has signed a deal with ABC to develop three scripts for the network, one of which is guaranteed to go to a pilot, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Singer will develop the projects through his company, Bad Hat Harry Productions, and will executive-produce and direct the pilot.

This is the first formal television deal for Singer, who spearheaded the early development of SCI FI Channel's critically praised original series Battlestar Galactica, executive-produced the channel's miniseries The Triangle and directed and executive-produced the pilot for Fox's medical drama House.

What sets Singer's deal with ABC apart from other high-profile, three-for-one pacts is that it is not tied to a studio. This gives Singer the flexibility to develop with writers at any studio.

So considering Singer’s fondness of sci-fi movies (X-men 1 & 2) and sci-fi mini series (The Triangle),

Combined with his fondness for re-imagining previous sci-fi series (Battlestar Galactica)

And his talent in continuing established sci-fi mythology (Superman Returns)

And the fact Singer can develop a project with ANY writers at ANY studio…

Someone should whisper in his ear “Quantum Leap” or start a petition...

Or at least this site should send him/his agent one of the free copies they’ll get of Season 5 with a note saying,
“Sam Beckett never returned home?

Just a thought.

Hmm... I've said that I'm not particularly a fan of Singer's "super-hero" films because I feel he misses the point. However, something like Quantum Leap might actually work well with his style. He seems to be a better director of characters, emotions and charm (which is the heart & soul of the show) than he is with action. And given that QL was not what I'd consider an "action-packed" show per sé (at least most of the episodes, anyway), something like that might be perfect for his style. Not a bad idea.

QL Nut said:
Hmm... I've said that I'm not particularly a fan of Singer's "super-hero" films because I feel he misses the point. However, something like Quantum Leap might actually work well with his style. He seems to be a better director of characters, emotions and charm (which is the heart & soul of the show) than he is with action. And given that QL was not what I'd consider an "action-packed" show per sé (at least most of the episodes, anyway), something like that might be perfect for his style. Not a bad idea.

I like his work. But then again I enjoy that kind of film/show. I'm loving BG with all the drama and twists. I was afraid it was going to be one big frag fest with cylons.

I was pissed that he abandoned X-Men, but I can undstand the choice.

Singer on QL? One could always hope.

I didn't know he abandoned X-Men so much as he was forced to make a choice since both movies were in production at the same time. I wish they'd held off on X-Men for another year so he could have made an even better movie of it.

Singer is certainly qualified as far as respecting storylines and looking at the details and big picture at the same time. I agree, I would love to see him do it.

Bryan Singer seem quite thorough about trying to close plot holes. Could be interesting for QL if he makes the Sci-Fi part of it more important and tries to clear up the inconsistancies of the past. Not to change the subject, but it irked me to no end when Al said he had no clue what leaping looked like in MI when he had seen it in Future Boy and Good Morning Peoria.

Singer is a writer/director who is more concerned with characters, rather than the powers of the superhero(s). This is what Quantum Leap is about. A story about people, not a time travelling sci-fi show. Time Travel is just a means to an end, a device to enables the different stories to be explored.

With this in mind, Singer would be welcomed by me in the Quantum World. However, under the supervision of Donald of course ;)

I *loved* both X-Men that Bryan Singer directed. I would welcome him at the helm of a QL movie.

feldon30 said:
I didn't know he abandoned X-Men so much as he was forced to make a choice since both movies were in production at the same time. I wish they'd held off on X-Men for another year so he could have made an even better movie of it.

He was pretty much set to do X-Men,then jumped ship when he was offered SuperMan. Ended up making X-Men3 a rushed job sine they were dead set on May 06' for release and had problems with finding a director.

Even if this thread is 3 years old, I still agree with the people who said that Bryan Singer cares more about the characters, situations/psychology, etc. Watch "Apt Pupil" (1998) and you'll know what I'm talking about. That's his thing, what he's best at. The superhero stuff doesn't exactly speak for him.

Ended up making X-Men3 a rushed job sine they were dead set on May 06' for release and had problems with finding a director.
X-Men 3 had a director? It just seemed like a car wreck to me. Ok, it's daytime. Hmm, that's inconvenient. Through the magic of motion pictures, the characters freeze and now it's nighttime. Ok, for absolutely no reason, let's tear the San Francisco bridge up. Ok, let's kill 2 main characters for absolutely no reason with no emotional buildup.

I think Superman Returns was Bryan Singer's love letter to the original film(s) by Richard Donner and maybe too faithful without enough freshness to it. Using Lex Luthor was probably a mistake as he doesn't actually have any powers whatsoever. If Singer gets to do another Superman movie, hopefully Superman has a true rival. But I worry he will never get that chance. I think he would do it right.

Also I hate to feed into any rumor-mongering, but Dean ain't getting any younger. It's time to get something QL into production and film some linking scenes with Dean and Scott -- whether they're used or not.