My first attempt at Fan Fiction!!

Enterprise

Project QL Intern
Mar 3, 2006
Newcastle, UK
So here it is, the leap-in of a QL Fanfic that i've been scribbling down all luchtime today and last evening - mostly inspired by Asearcher's(Helen in Colorado - I remembered which one - yay to self!) brilliant fanfiction I was looking at last night and our chat, some constructive criticism would certainly help guys!

So here it goes:

Lightning Never Strikes Twice....
By Simon Smith aka: Enterprise
Copyright Simon Smith 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> Leap - In <<<

As the familiar brilliant blue light erupted around Sam, he snapped out of his thought of pure bliss with Angelice, trying to stay in her arms, her flowing silky-brown hair swaying in the gentle breeze of the ocean and look deep into her beautiful hazel eyes, but his memory was already swiss cheesing again, ''I lo__'', he was cut off, feeling himself being ripped from her and then in an instant he was gone. The memory fading as quickly as it had been created in Dr. Beckett's mind.

FLASH! Sam opened his eyes, ''Uunngh...'', he raised his hand to his forehead to try and massage the throbbing pain from the leap - induced headache that he had suffered a million times previously. ''NO CHANCE!!'' a man screamed at him and before he knew it, Sam felt himself smacked in the stomach by a giant double-ended, sand-filled, plasti-hammer. ''Oooff..'' Sam doubled over, the wind knocked from him and the emptiness following, Camera flashes and cheering crowds drowned out his thoughts, Sam gasped for breath.

''The Sledge takes nothin' from no-one, no pain from anythang' and especially not nothin' from the likes of you!!'' the huge man swung the hammer down with brute force and Sam was smacked down to the floor, his face thwacking against the floor. The crowd cheered and from the stage arena came a booming spray of fireworks, #GLAD-I-A-TORS!!#,
''Ohh Boy'', Sam said, before passing out to the screams of a taunting crowd.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Great Beginning!!!!!!

I love the direction this is going. Right up there with Heart of a Champion...some of the best leap in's are into the "Lion's Den" so to speak and Gladiators gets that in spades!!!! Poor Sam! Our guy never seems to get a break (unless it's the arm or leg or...)

Looking forward to your next part!

(BTW...I really like your addition to the round robin. You've got Al and Ziggy down and in character! Now would someone else like to throw something into the mix?)

Chapter 1

Here's the next part of my story... sooner then I expected but i've just been writing at every oppurtunity today and just had to get it up on the forum... funny some days you can't write for toffee but other you're on fire!

>>> Chapter 1 <<<

A nagging yet familiar voice awoke Sam from his unconsciousness,

"Saammm", the voice became more agitated "Saaammmm!", "Wake up Sam!",

Sam groaned, he rolled over and suddenly became aware of the intense pain in his back. He put his hand to his jaw and gave it a slight rub, yet it was still sensitive to the touch, where it had swollen his cheekbones.

"Aaargh", he looked up.

"Al! What, where … huh?".

Al’s eyes opened wide, he did an exaggerated motion with his arms, puffs of cigar smoke following.

"Oh so sleeping beauty decides to wake up eh? I’ve been standing here for almost an hour! And in case you didn’t notice I’m in no position to throw some water on your big… big sleepy head!",

"Al?" Sam said with a ‘get on with it’ look accross his face.

"Oh ok fine’’ Al gave in, "Your name is Joe Steele or ‘The Bull’ if you like, and boy that guy really gave you a smack down!’"

Al chuckled to himself, his smile came through the red and velvet crushed black rimmed jacket and stripey orange and black tie, the flowing baggy black striped pants and white-rimmed black shoes completed the look. A zany mix for some but nothing Sam wasn’t used to from his close friend.

"You’ve leapt into a TV star!", a childish face of glee beamed from his face.

Sam stirred from his dizziness, the pain in his lower back knocking some sense into him.

"What happened? There was a big guy.. and a…..hammer?" Sam had a look of disbelief on his face.

Al stepped around the foot of the bed, and Sam saw his surroundings clearly for the first time. He was in a big comfy bed, kind of like a hospital, with a mountain of pillows looking cosy to his dizzy head. The sunlight shone through some old blinds near the usual sterile white wall paper and a gentle breeze came through the open window, leaves rustling outside. Apart from the chattering and other bustle outside in the corridor, the room was empty.

Sam’s attention snapped back to Al, who was taking a puff from his ever-present cigar.

"So, you’re in 1984, no… " Al smacked the hand link and a high pitched whine came from it, "1785! No… Ziggy! Don’t make me come in there!"

"Al" Sam interrupted

"Oh fine Miss rushy, rushy.. Oh here we are, September 16th 1983 at 2:12 pm in LA at the Local Medical Clinic… only about 10 minutes from the GLADIATORS studios"

Sam sat up, the pain fading but still prominent, he’d had enough experience to know how to handle it At least I think I do…

"The Guy that hit you was Bruce ‘The Sledge’ Maverick, he is aaahhh…"

Al smacked the hand link again, a satisfying whine coming from it

"Ziggy sounds a bit uncooperative today" Sam muttered under his breath.

"Yeah, it’s probably Sammy Jo, she tried to upload some information on your previous leaps, the data on you and me switching places probably made Ziggy go… a little Ca ca…" Al opened his arms, cigar smoke trailing from his hand behind the motion.

Sam listened but didn’t really take any of it in, only nodding but focused on the pain, "Al, why am I here?"

"Well Ziggy says that this Sledge punk is your last piece of competition in the current Gladiators tournament, and you’ve just gotta win to sort out what happened… oh"

Sam looked up, in leaping ‘Oh’ isn’t really a good thing.

"What is it Al? Is it bad?" Sam said with a genuine look of concern on his face

Al looked up from the Hand link, "Well, it says that in the original history Joe lost to this Bull guy, and died in a car crash tonight heading home from the studio"

"No" Sam looked away from Al, the hero inside kicking into top gear, "I won’t let this happen, so do you think that if I beat this Sledge then Joe won’t ever get in the car to go home and I can stop this crash from ever happening?"

"Yeah.. that could work!.. I’ll have Ziggy uhh run some tests and scenarios and I’ll get back to ya in a while, Sam, I don’t want this to happen as much as the next guy so I’ll be there to help you all the way"

The observer punched some buttons on the hand link and the IC door opened up behind him, "Remember Sam, Big fight tomorrow! And no pressure but you've gotta win!!" he hit the key to close the door and vanished.

Sam looked on after his close friend, and got out of his bed.