Alia?

Sam Beckett Fan

Re-Writing Life
Jun 3, 2005
medium.com
Ok, i have a question about Alia.

Zoey: (evil leapers II) Lothos pull Alia out, now!

Zoey: (Evil Leapers III) She leaped out!
Thames: (evil leapers III) She didn't leap back, we lost her!

Alia: (evil leapers II) I had no choice Sam, they tortured me!

Sam: (evil leapers II) i saw you die?
Alia: (evil leapers II) it was worse than death!

The above lines, seem to suggest that When Alia completes a task, unlike Sam, she leaps back to her base, and then when Lothos finds her a new Assignment, they leap her out agian.

Zoey: (evil leapers I) This could be it Alia, this could be the one that gets you home, home Alia!

This line, however suggest that her leaping is the same as Sam's. that she just keeps leaping after every assignment. so i am confused, what is the real deal with her, what is it that is really happening to Alia when she finishes one task?

I always assumed that Lothos could direct Alia's leaps, and when she disobayed him, he pulled her back and tortured her. Then he made her leap again

Then, killing Sam, maybe be rewarded by being allowed to stop leaping

I agree with Tom. Not only that, but I also have no doubt that Zo?, Lothos and Thames never had any intentions of bringing Alia home, unless it was to torture her. Zo? just kept making false promises to motivate Alia to complete her missions.

May I ask when does the "evil leaper" come on QL? I have heard a lot about her (evil leaper) but have never seen those episodes. thank Julie

jmellissa said:
May I ask when does the "evil leaper" come on QL? I have heard a lot about her (evil leaper) but have never seen those episodes. thank Julie

The episode are in the fifth season. They are "Deliver Us From Evil," and the two-parter, "Return/Revenge of the Evil Leaper."

I don't agree, sorry people. Zoey tells Thames that she has 32hours to find Alia, for as they all know, after that it becomes increasingly difficult to return home.

I still haven't been able to figure out how Lothos was able to retrieve Alia after
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
Deliver Us From Evil
and punish her.

bluedana said:
The episode are in the fifth season. They are "Deliver Us From Evil," and the two-parter, "Return/Revenge of the Evil Leaper."
yes, Deliver Us From Evil comes after Starlight Star Bright, and the last two come at neasrly the end of the season/series, after Blood Moon. you'll know when season five comes out jmellisa.

as for what the rest of you have been saying, it all makes a lot of sense.
However, i agree with Ziggys Ego, how is Lathos able to pull Alia back to punish her, when Ziggy, through many many tries has not been able to pull Sam back. arn't they practically the same, like paralles?

qlnut said:
I agree with Tom. Not only that, but I also have no doubt that Zoë, Lothos and Thames never had any intentions of bringing Alia home, unless it was to torture her. Zoë just kept making false promises to motivate Alia to complete her missions. 05-22-2006 07:17 PM

Chris, i disagree, well not entrely, i just have a little theory of my own. based on the line from Revenge of the Evil Leapers (III).

Thames: You were always the one HE wanted to carry out his evil plan

and especially this one from Return of the Evil Leapers (II)

Zoey: I'll kill you myself Alia!

i was consitering, that all along Zoey had been trying to get rid of Alia so that she could assume her position.

the second line i refered to, was the first time in which we hear Zoey going agianst Alia. the lines was "i kill YOU myself" not "ill kill HIM(sam) myself"
this suggests that the whole time she wanted both Sam and Alia dead the whole time not just Sam.

don quixote said:
Hmm regarding evil leaper control, the following quote sprung immediately to mind,

Zoe: "Dr Beckett's appearances follow the random event theory, just a magnificent stroke of luck, or a test to see if you have improved..."
are you suggesting that Alia IS in fact purposly given assignments by Lothos?

Don Quixote said:
Yes it's a likely possibility. Lothos certainly does have more control over the leaping process than Project Quantum Leap does. :)

very good point. you could be right, after all progect evil quantum leap was bulid based on the ideas already created by Sam's quantum leap. so the evil leapers had more to work with and were able to figure out how to expand, possibly.

You're working on fiction again there Sam Beckett Fan, it was never clarified how Project Evil Quantum Leap came to be in the series, only in fanfics.

Yeah no worries. I like to think that the Project itself was started by the devil to counter act Sam's meddling after he toyed with him in *that* episode.

that's actually really good.
the theory of my best friends and mine that i was refering to, is from the episode Star Light Star Bright. remember when Sam was at teh hospital being questioned by those government jerks under sodium anatol, and taping his answers. well it was never determined what happened to that tape so my best friend and i thought that maybe the evil leapers got a hold of it.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
that's actually really good.
the theory of my best friends and mine that i was refering to, is from the episode Star Light Star Bright. remember when Sam was at teh hospital being questioned by those government jerks under sodium anatol, and taping his answers. well it was never determined what happened to that tape so my best friend and i thought that maybe the evil leapers got a hold of it.

I outlined a crossover story once where Mulder and Scully of the X files got ahold of that tape, but somehow I never got around to writing it.

I've never seen the episode Starlight Starbright so I couldn't comment. That is.... haven't seen it yet :p

MrVestek said:
Yeah no worries. I like to think that the Project itself was started by the devil to counter act Sam's meddling after he toyed with him in *that* episode.
Yeah I've always thought that. Maybe when the devil had hold of Sam, he was sapping his knowledge of Quantum Physics, or indeed allowed him to create Sam and the Project's opposite.

If Sam had have had the time, I think he would've developed Quantum Leap upto the control level of of the evil one. However it was nice to see PQL have an edge over the evil one in the episode "Revenge" as they were able to block their externals when Sam and Alia were on the run.

leaper1 said:
I outlined a crossover story once where Mulder and Scully of the X files got ahold of that tape, but somehow I never got around to writing it.

I like that idea! You should do it some day. Ah, X-Files and QL in one story... that'd make my day.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
A lot of fans think that could have been one of two possible theories surrounding the creation of the "Evil Leaper" Project; the other one is the handlink that accidentally got left behind in 1945 (when Sam and Al switched places). Actually, I came up with the same basic idea that you just mentioned in a VS story I wrote a while back, where Zo? leaps into Sam in the present almost immediately after returning home, in an attempt to destroy Project Quantum Leap from within:

Thames looked down at his handlink, punched a few buttons, and answered, ?Well, you?re not gonna like this...but Lothos says you need to ?demoralize? the project?s computer. They call it ?Ziggy?!?

?Ziggy?? Zo? scoffed, remembering the name from earlier. ?That?s the name of Beckett?s hybrid computer? What the bloody hell kind of idiotic name is that??

?Beats the hell out of me! But whatever you do, you?ve got to make sure that ?Ziggy? doesn?t alert everyone that you?re not really Sam when it comes back online. And the only way to do that is by entering his clearance codes and overriding the computer?s safety and security protocols.?

?And how am I supposed to do that if I don?t have Beckett?s security codes?? Zo? asked with clear annoyance in her voice.

?Patience, patience, patience,? Thames replied with as much charm as he could muster. ?That?s what I came to tell you! It turns out Lothos was able to find the information we needed just by digging through some old government documents from the mid Sixties. Ever hear of Project Blue Book??

?Project Blue Book...? Zo? repeated. ?Something to do with the study of UFOs? What does that have to do with Beckett??

?Lothos found a recording of one Maxwell Stoddard made by two government officials associated with Project Blue Book, dated May Twenty-Fourth, Nineteen Sixty-Six. The old geezer revealed some very interesting tidbits under the influence of sodium pentothal. Just listen to this...? Thames pressed a key on his handlink, which played the audio reproduction of an interrogation conducted by Dr. Hardin and Major Irwin Meadows, their two voices alternating back and forth with the slurred voice of Max Stoddard:

?We are going to ask you a series of questions. You will answer all of them truthfully. Do you understand??

?Truthfully.?

?Let?s start with something simple...like your name.?

?...Saam...?

?Louder please.?

?Doctor Sssamuel Beckett.?

?Think you gave him too much??

?Do you know where you are??

?I?m in, erm... New Mexico.?

?What is the date??

?May First, Nineteen Ninety-Nine.?

?Tell us about yourself, Dr. Beckett.?

?Born Eight, Eight, Fifty-Three.?

?Terrific! He?s thirteen years old??

?Or a
hundred and thirteen.?

?Father?s name: John Samuel Beckett... Mother?s name: Thelma Louise Beckett... Social Security Number: five six three dash eight six dash...nine eight...zero one... Department of Defense...UMBRA clearance number: zero zero four dash zero zero two dash zero two dash zero one six...?

?Did you hear that??

?It?s a coincidence. He was in the service.?

?In World War
One! UMBRA is an operative code! Why do you need a clearance? Why do you need a clearance, Dr. Beckett??

?My project...?

?What is your project??

?Project...Quantum Leap...?

?This project studies unidentified flying objects??

?...Travel in time...?

?The old man was really Beckett!? Zo? realized with an evil grin. ?He blabbed everything?just like he did with my father forty years ago!?

?First rule of quantum leaping,? Thames lectured mockingly, ?never divulge top-secret information when truth serum has been administered into your bloodstream. You never know when it?ll come back and bite ya in the butt! Hah hah hahhhh!?

?Whatever happened to this Max Stoddard??

?No one in the government really took his claims seriously. They considered him a crackpot. Funny thing, though...the old man suddenly disappeared without a trace shortly after that ?interrogation.? The two men who questioned him claimed that he was ?willingly? taken aboard an alien spacecraft!?

?You can?t be serious!? Zo? practically laughed over the absurdity of such an idea.

Realizing the conversation was getting side-tracked, Thames continued, ?Well, anyway, the point is...we now have the codes needed to access Ziggy?s mainframe and lock everyone else out of main Control. When you first leaped in, Ziggy had just gone offline, otherwise we would have been found out almost immediately.

The full story can be found here:
http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/virtualseasons/season11/1101.html

Sorry, couldn't help but plug something I wrote. ;) :p

Damon

wow Damon thats really interesting, it might have even been a combination of the lost handlink and the tape. maybe the evil leapers got a hold of both somehow.

Evil leapers

Sam Beckett Fan said:
yes, thats the one. and The Devil didn't take over Al, it impersonated Al to trick Sam.

Thanks. I didn't realize that wasn't AL. I will have to go and watch it again and find what your talking about.

without seeing what you and the others are talking about. Why, who, and what... are the "evil leapers" sent from the Devil or are they just not liking what Sam is doing. I geuss I just get why the writers ever put anthing evil to go agaist Sam.

But then I also ask a lot of questions too. Is there a place that I go and read why to the evil leapers. Thanks Julie

jmellissa said:
without seeing what you and the others are talking about. Why, who, and what... are the "evil leapers" sent from the Devil or are they just not liking what Sam is doing. I geuss I just get why the writers ever put anthing evil to go agaist Sam.

But then I also ask a lot of questions too. Is there a place that I go and read why to the evil leapers.
As for why the "evil leapers" were introduced, I believe that was more of a request on NBC's part to give Sam a "nemesis" of sorts to complicate things. To my knowledge, Don Bellisario wasn't too keen on the idea, but reluctantly agreed. Personally, I always thought it made perfect sense: Sam is out there putting right what once went wrong, fixing people's lives; so it's only logical to assume that there are others out there putting wrong what once went right, destroying people's lives. I fell in love with the concept the instant I first saw the Season 5 promo during the summer hiatus that year.

Anyway, if you want to find out a bit more about the "evil leapers," you can go here:

http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/evil/

Or, for individual "bios" on the individual characters, these are taken directly from the Quantum Leap: A to Z book by Julie Barrett. I warn you, though, these contain SPOILERS, so read them at your own risk:

Alia: If Sam Beckett was able to travel in time, it would stand to reason that sometime another person would do the same. Perhaps it was a greater shock than a surprise when Sam encountered Alia. When they first met, Sam had leaped back into Jimmy LaMotta?s life, and Alia had become Connie. They didn?t find out about each other until they touched, which set up a magnetic convergence field allowing them to see each other. Alia told Sam that she was with a time-travel experiment, and she too suffered from Swiss cheese memory and had no control over where she went. The one thing she really wanted above all was to go home. She then tried to seduce Sam, saying that he was the only one who could understand what she was going through. Their lovemaking was interrupted by the early return of Frank, Jimmy?s older brother. While Sam was digging for his clothes, Alia ripped her slip, scratched her face, and screamed that Jimmy had tried to rape her. Zo?, her Observer, then reported that she had to kill Sam, and that doing it could get her home. Alia explained to Sam it wasn?t God that put them against each other. Sam countered by postulating that evil could only exist because of good, and if she killed him, she may no longer exist, and it would only add to the power of whatever was leaping her around. Alia has apparently killed a lot of people, but she was unable to bring herself to kill Sam, and Alia and Zo? exited distorted and screaming in pain.

When the pair met again, Alia told Sam that she had been tortured, and that the experience was worse than death. She begged Sam not to let her go through that kind of pain again, and Sam suggested that if they were to hold each other when they leaped, they might be able to go together. They did, right into the Mallard Correctional Facility for Women. In an attempt to keep Lothos, the artificial intelligence controlling her leaps, from locking on to her brain waves, Sam altered them slightly by hypnotizing her into believing she actually was the woman into whom she had leaped.

While Alia didn?t seem to be completely evil (why else would she want to be redeemed?), she did wonder why some people help other people. Apparently such behavior was either not in her background or had been conditioned out by some means.

Alia could see Zo??s Observer, Thames.

When Alia was shot by Zo?, she leaped out and Angel Jenson leaped back in, unhurt. Lothos reported that Alia was lost, and Ziggy reported to Al that she was free.

Zo?: Alia?s Observer. In some ways, she was just like Al?a clotheshorse who loved to lech after the opposite sex. After she was able to see Sam as himself, she called him a ?studly morsel? and ?sweet cheeks.? The similarity ended there, for Zo? was quite evil.

Apparently Alia and Zo? have been working for Lothos for several years. She told Alia, ?We clawed our way out of Hell to land simple assignments like home wrecking and adultery. You don?t want to live through the horror we lived through before.? Zo? told Lothos she taught Alia ?Every nuance. Every twist. Every lie. She was brilliant.? Lothos believed sending Alia out was a mistake, and that he always wanted Zo? to carry out his plan. In ?Revenge,? Zo? herself leaped. Sam shot Zo?, as Warden Meyers, and Thames screamed that she was dying. After the familiar flash, Meyers returned and he was unhurt.

Thames: Zo??s Observer enjoyed every minute of his stint as a hologram?except the last. He was a fan of James Brown and always carried a walking stick. Pronounced ?Tems? like the river in Great Britain.

Lothos: The artificial intelligence unit that controlled Alia?s assignments. There were some indications that this time-travel project was set in the future, and might have built on Dr. Beckett?s theories. The participants used terms such as ?Leaping? and ?Swiss cheese,? and the electric leap effect was essentially the same. Lothos, however, seemed to have more control than Ziggy ever did. For example, he had the power to send his leapers where he wanted, and to reward and punish. He was not pleased with Alia?s performance the first time she encountered Sam. He also had the power to pull a leaper out at any time. Their Imaging Chamber was called the Holding Chamber. When Lothos sent out a leaper, there was a forty-eight-hour window in which he or she had to get home. After that, the percentage dropped with each leap.

Lothos held conferences with staff members called ?deep input? sessions. During one with Thames, Lothos told him that sending Alia out was a mistake. It seems Lothos had some sort of master plan, but no one outside of the staff knew what it was.

Hope that helps! :)

Damon

Just a small correction - it's actually the evil project's waiting room that's called the holding chamber... probably because they hold someone until the leaper leaps out and the leapee leaps in. We don't know what their imaging chamber is called.