Sam and Tom Beckett--why those names?

Aging Boomer

Project QL Intern
Mar 18, 2007
Has Bellisario or anyone else connected with the creation of QL ever explained how he came to choose the names of Sam Beckett and his brother Tom? They both have real-life counterparts. Samuel Beckett was a playwright whose plays are famous for their sense of the absurd and despair in the absence of God. Thomas Becket--sometimes called Thomas a Becket--was a martyr of the Catholic and the Anglican church. Is there some sort of inside joke whereby the pessimistic playwright is turned into a creator of happy endings and the martyr doesn't have to die after all?

As far as I know, Bellisario did name Sam knowing about his real-life counterpart, but I think it was just to borrow the name. I could be wrong, but I don't believe it was anything deeper. Bellisario did write a little joke about it in "Honeymoon Express," where Diane asks if he's any relation to the playwright. As far as Tom is concerned, I think that's just a coincidence.

I never heard of Thomas Beckett although the fact that he was a martyr does sort of go with Sam's Brother dying in Vitnam or at least serving seeing as the men know they risk death. I dont really have an opinion though on that. I do however think there was some thought to naming Sam because they used the Playwright joke in two episodes Honeymoon Express and Liberation(and it would be a pretty weird coincidence if that had not been premeditated). But also, and I am not sure if Don knew this, but the meaning of the name Samual is God Has Heard or Name of God which I believe is also a coincedence to our favorite man.

Last edited:
aging boomer: wow. that's what i thought about say, 14 years ago. i read everything i could on "the real samuel beckett" and even attempted to watch that movie, "thomas a becket" with richard burton and read some of the play. i did in 8th grade. yeah, i have my ba in english but a pharmacy tech who loves learning about the chemical composition of the drugs she delves out. sorry to burst your bubble. i've always been a generation y smart aleck.

Aging Boomer said:
Has Bellisario or anyone else connected with the creation of QL ever explained how he came to choose the names of Sam Beckett and his brother Tom? They both have real-life counterparts. Samuel Beckett was a playwright whose plays are famous for their sense of the absurd and despair in the absence of God.

That was touched on in Season 2 "Honeymoon Express" By Diane Mcbride, when Sam tells her his real name.

Aging Boomer said:
Is there some sort of inside joke whereby the pessimistic playwright is turned into a creator of happy endings and the martyr doesn't have to die after all?

That would be a good question to ask DPB if he comes to the convention and does a Q&A. My first thought was that he chose "Tom" simply because he was another famous Beckett, but you might be onto something.

Janna Galaxy said:
That was touched on in Season 2 "Honeymoon Express" By Diane Mcbride, when Sam tells her his real name.
Thats what I said and they also did it in Liberation when Sam was making pancakes for breakfast and accidently called them a la Beckett. :)