New pic of Dean in TV Guide

There's also a two-page article/interview with Dean, with pictures, in the issue of the BSG magazine that's on stands now. (I saw it in Borders.) I didn't buy it (it's $6.99), so I can't scan it in or tell you what it says (hanging head in shame...) but maybe somebody with some extra pocket money this month can pick it up and share with everyone. :)

Not sure if any of you caught the season premiere of BSG -- Dean was in it quite a bit. His character plays a major role in the settlement/prison camp on New Caprica, so I imagine we'll see him in several episodes this season.

That said...it's a very, very dark character. He's responsible for taking and holding prisoners, torture... It sure ain't Al Calavicci. And yes, there's cussing.

The season premiere set up that he's being "serviced" by Colonel Tigh's wife, who's trying to get her husband out of "detention." The introductory scene was very, very explicit -- ditto with the dialogue. So, those of you who are looking for Dean in an Al-like, enjoyable role that you can watch while munching on some popcorn -- this isn't it. On the other hand, it's powerfully written and performed, and could be thought of in an Emmy category, if the Emmy voters paid any attention at all to anything on the Sci-Fi Channel.

Not sure if any of you caught the season premiere of BSG -- Dean was in it quite a bit. His character plays a major role in the settlement/prison camp on New Caprica, so I imagine we'll see him in several episodes this season.

He's in the upcoming episode Exodus. In the BG magazine article, he said he'd be back again after that, but he didn't know when.

That said...it's a very, very dark character. He's responsible for taking and holding prisoners, torture... It sure ain't Al Calavicci.
Boy howdy! Dean has played bad guys before, but I think this one takes the cake.

The season premiere set up that he's being "serviced" by Colonel Tigh's wife, who's trying to get her husband out of "detention." The introductory scene was very, very explicit -- ditto with the dialogue.
:eek I would keep the kiddies away from this one.

So, those of you who are looking for Dean in an Al-like, enjoyable role that you can watch while munching on some popcorn -- this isn't it. On the other hand, it's powerfully written and performed, and could be thought of in an Emmy category, if the Emmy voters paid any attention at all to anything on the Sci-Fi Channel.
Hey, then I'm not the only one who thought so. Do they still give Emmys for guest appearances? From the magazine article, it sounds like he's enjoying the role. It's certainly one he can sink his teeth into.

Incidentally, in that article they asked him the usual question about a Quantum Leap movie, and he said: "I haven't heard anything from anybody that would be directly involved in it, so it seems to be nothing more than a rumor." But he said he'd be happy to do a movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know that it's the hallmark of a great actor to be able to make you believe in the character. Leonard Nimoy can never be anyone but Spock, but Walter Koenig went from being a likeable Chekhov to a totally despicable Bestor on Babylon 5.
And so it is also with Dean Stockwell. His character, Brother Cavil, is one of the most discussed on the BSG blog. His character, initially with a relatively minor role, has grown to be a key player, and a despicable one at that. There have been more than a few QL fans over there who are just waiting for a QL-ism to slip in there somewhere.
Cylons never truly "die" as we understand death, so he'll be around for a while.

CarolD said:
OK, if the Bartender is veering off topic, we're safe. :)

Battlestar Galactica. Veronica Mars. Supernatural. 24. Lost. And I'm waiting to see whether Heroes and Runaway keep pulling me in (but Runaway's ratings stink beyond imagining, so it probably won't survive long).

I also watch Ghost Whisperer and Smallville, although I wish the first hadn't killed off Aisha Tyler, and I wish the producers of the second would GET OVER their Lana fetish!!

And I am still in mourning for the late, lamented Everwood.

Carol;
Neat photo! It's not too often that those opportunities present themselves. Anyway, I too watch "Ghost Whisperer", and the reason Aisha Tyler's character was killed off was that the actress wanted to pursue other career opportunities. That's the reason given on James Van Praagh's website.
You might be fascinated to know that when NASA said farewell to former administrator Sean O'Keefe, they presented an "Enterprise"-based tribute, narrated by Scott from the Enterprise bridge. It was very nice, and since I had brought a camcorder, I may have the only copy outside of NASA. As far as I know, it was never shown on NASA TV.

spaceflight101 said:
Carol;
Neat photo! It's not too often that those opportunities present themselves. Anyway, I too watch "Ghost Whisperer", and the reason Aisha Tyler's character was killed off was that the actress wanted to pursue other career opportunities. That's the reason given on James Van Praagh's website.
You might be fascinated to know that when NASA said farewell to former administrator Sean O'Keefe, they presented an "Enterprise"-based tribute, narrated by Scott from the Enterprise bridge. It was very nice, and since I had brought a camcorder, I may have the only copy outside of NASA. As far as I know, it was never shown on NASA TV.

I could post the video if that's allowed. We'd love to see it!

spaceflight101 said:
There have been more than a few QL fans over there who are just waiting for a QL-ism to slip in there somewhere.

He did say "oh boy" at one point. ;)

Uh, yes it was. But I was thinking the other day, we all already knew Dean could play a bad guy. Look at the Halloween episode! :eek

Back off topic for a mo' but I too absouloutely luurrrvvvee Scrubs (Have Seasons 1-4) and in my opinion it's the best comedy on TV at the moment.

As for Dean playing bad guys? Meh, he's good at it, although I can't be bothered with nuBSG (Too much boredom) i'm sure that he does a great job, just like all his other acting jobs - no matter how embarrassing they are to watch.

PS: Me watching Scrubs; :roflmao:

Back off topic for a mo' but I too absouloutely luurrrvvvee Scrubs (Have Seasons 1-4) and in my opinion it's the best comedy on TV at the moment.

As for Dean playing bad guys? Meh, he's good at it, although I can't be bothered with nuBSG (Too much boredom) i'm sure that he does a great job, just like all his other acting jobs - no matter how embarrassing they are to watch.

PS: Me watching Scrubs;
LOL, scrubs rocks. JD's such a fool! lol but we love him...
yeah, BSG bores me too rather. really not easy to get into. i found myself going "what the hell??" quite a lot but ... dean was in it so. twas ok.

- tess

Yeah, thanks so much for sharing.

I gave up on the BSG remake, but I'm seriously gonna try to check it out in reruns to get a look at Dean, his character sounds intriguing.