Empirical Film/Other places to get QL DVD...

U

UnseenPresence

Hey folks--

Okay, so I'm looking at Amazon.com at the QL stuff, and up comes a 'sponsored link' for a place called Empiricalfilm.com...claiming to have for sale the entire 97 episode QL on DVD unedited and original episode.

So I looked at this link (assuming it to be a) a scam and b) someone selling episodes against copyright and without permission). The listing of episodes on that link is not even correct in the 5th season (unless 'Mirror Image' was called 'On the Run' in some country somewhere).

So my question is--has anyone tried buying this collection at this site or anywhere else? I'm not -remotely- sure that this site is legitimate in anything it's doing (I have when you click on the 'contact us' link and all there is is an email...) But it did make me curious as to whether anyone has TRIED this at all. Or whether anyone has found someplace or someone that DOES have sharp, original versions of the episodes on DVD somewhere.

If anyone's tried this place, or anywhere else, I'd be really curious as to what they found.

What is the link for the site?

I saw this too. With the exception of the misprint on the episode listing, the set looked very nice. And since, Universal has been giving the fans the long hard one, all it would take for me to order this from there is one of you guys saying you've seen it and it's complete and well-done.

I saw this website several weeks ago and tried in vain, after reading your post, to find it again and couldn't. If you could find the link and post it here, it would be greatly appreciated.

I also remember coming across a mirror site that looked just like the Empirical site but had a different name. And I also came across a site called www.televisionmedia.net that had the complete series for $150 U.S., which I think was the asking price and this Empirical place.

Here's the link

Here's the website address:

www.empiricalfilm.com/

Please note this isn't an endorsement. It's an attempt to find out whether ANYONE has tried ordering this to see whether the set is legitimate in any fashion (even though I suspect the one thing it -HAS- to be is DVD's recorded from old TV copies. No ideas about quality, etc.)

So if anyone has bought this, please respond and tell me what you got (or didn't get, if it's a crock--although as a 'sponsored' link for Amazon, there ought to be at least a baseline of respectability).

Re: Here's the link

Hello,

I had meant to reply to this before, but I didn't have the time.

I seem to remember that there was once a discussion about this site about a year ago on this board. It seemed like the thing was a major hoax and not in any way DVD quality. Plus, if memory serves, it was recommended not to buy those since they were clearly bootleg copies. I do the same and do not recommend you to buy these, as they are not genuine and the price they charge at AT LEAST 10 times over their production cost, including the time it took to burn the discs, basic price of the DVD-Rs and any means of packaging, so they are only making money out of your innocence (seems familiar anyone? *cough* Universal *cough*, only Universal's DVDs are legit, and reasonnable quality even though they don't meet normal DVD standards).

I am not writing this to discourage you to buy those DVDs, only I warn you that you might very well end up wasting money for those sets. And even worse, you could get in trouble for posession of bootleg copies of a TV show.

Do what you want, I just don't think it's a good idea... I hope I helped you out on your decision.

Clara

bootleg

These are absolutely bootleg copies.

In addition, look at the names of the last 4 episodes (even though they're missing about 7, including Mirror Image and the Evil Leaper episodes.

Don't buy these, they're just DVDed versions of VHS copies, it's not that tough to do with any production experience (I could do that as well), but more importantly, it's illegal.

While I'm as disastisfied as you guys, keep in mind this "store" lists no address, no phone #, no nothing... chances are it's abroad, and if they screw you over, you were the one trying to buy a bootleged version of the show.

Hi there my name is John and I?m an alcoholic. This is my first time here. . . seriously though how is everyone?:wavey

Ok down to business. I?m sure you all know about this and it isn?t far from the Empiricalfilm subject however it all depends on how badly you love the show.

I thought why not for the hell of it check out eBay, because there is always people selling full seasons of shows on home made DVDs. I for one couldn?t careless, if they are cheap and a show I?m not to bothered about buying brand new or a show that seems like it will never be released then I?d buy.
I?m getting off subject, the point I?m making is that everybody seems to be forgetting one thing, of course these will be video burned to DVDs but the quality of the legit DVDs isn?t great lets admit, but the killer thing for me is that these will be the untouched, unedited episodes with ORIGINAL songs from broadcast. Now until Universal get there fingers out I think these are a damn fine substitute.

This will probably sound stupid but I don?t know where this site is based. I?m from the UK so there for I looked on the UK eBay. anybody interested check it out here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41589&item=6420227288&rd=1 or run a search on the US site.

I emailed the guy and he said this; ?each season is a 10 DVD set- with 2 shows on each disc.
1 Season is ?15.
I will do all 5 seasons for ?50 (inc postage)
There is a discount for more than one season.
Every episode is included.
These come on a plain disc without artwork.
I recently sold my own Season 1+2 box set as I was happy with these discs.?

All five seasons for ?50 = ?10 a season, I think that?s good going. It's cheaper and I for one trust it far more than Empiricalfilm.

I don't have a problem making copies (of VHS tapes) for the occasional fan. I don't ask more than it costs to ship/produce the copy though. To make a profit on anything copyrighted is just wrong. And illegal!

I can see where it might be tempting to buy one of these sets they sell on Ebay that are homemade, and maybe that's the only way some people can ever see QL... but I don't agree with selling them for a huge profit.

I sell things on this site, but it all goes back into the cost of running the site. I never make money on this site, or even come close to breaking even. I run it because I enjoy it. If someone wants to offer to make copies of an episode for another fan for a small price that covers just the making of and shipping, then I don't see much harm. It's still not exactly legal, but that's the only way some folks can ever get QL.

It's a fine line. Bottom line is if you sell a copyrighted piece of material at any price, you're breaking the law. Cross the line at your own risk. :)