UK/R2 Season 2 Unedited...

This is awesome news!!

Now, does anyone know if the "leap-outs" are in the proper order, or if Sam keeps leaping into reruns again like he did in the R1 Season 2 set (i.e., leaping into Jesse Tyler from "Color of Truth" rather than Samantha from "What Price Gloria")?

Its the same as the US version. I was sitting here yesterday having a look at them. Eg Portrait for Troian does goto Color of Truth and Animal Frat does have the recap from Color there.

That brings me to what to do.. I was looking at my VHS copies going well now I have an R2 with music intact do I want to keep them.. ? But the leaps for 4 episodes at the end I have correct leap outs..(if there is anymore please let me know.) I was thinking of keeping DVD copies of those 4 episodes as it appears at least when I taped Animal Frat (and I dont remember doing it but I must of) that I replaced the beginning of Animal Frat with a generic beginning as to disguise the incorrect one.

Has anyone got thoughts on this matter?

Waz

The repeat leap-outs never bothered me. It just depends on how you look at it. I'd rather see the episodes untouched in every way for the sake of preserving the show exactly how it originally aired.

Wrong Arturo said:
OK, thanks for the info.

I'm very happy for the music being right, but the leap-out thing still bugs me. Now I'll have to think long and hard about buying this set.

I know its irritating to have the leap-outs connecting with previously aired episodes, but from my view having them on DVD and knowing that they are in order anyway is good enough for me. It does feel weird to see some of the endings of S2 looping back to S1 and this would really confuse me if these were aired on TV. It would be nice to have the leap-outs re-edited to the next episode in the set though. I'm not going to let this stop me getting the sets though as I think I would regret it later in life if I didn't - if this is the only QL set production they are ever going to do.

mstalanon said:
Um, is there a voucher? It's showing $39.95!

Sorry for the delay. Make sure to click on the link on the page to activate the discount. Then it will show the $2 off per set. Enjoy. :)

BlueSovereign said:
I know its irritating to have the leap-outs connecting with previously aired episodes, but from my view having them on DVD and knowing that they are in order anyway is good enough for me. It does feel weird to see some of the endings of S2 looping back to S1 and this would really confuse me if these were aired on TV. It would be nice to have the leap-outs re-edited to the next episode in the set though. I'm not going to let this stop me getting the sets though as I think I would regret it later in life if I didn't - if this is the only QL set production they are ever going to do.
It doesn't really bother me all that much either. As I've said in the past, I think if Universal would have had the foresight to put some kind of disclaimer somewhere on the actual set explaining the leap-out discrepancies, it would alleviate SO much confusion for the newer fans who never saw QL during its original NBC run. It's not that hard to do... just type out a sentence or two explaining why some episodes loop back to repeats, and place that text in a box somewhere on either the outside or inside of whatever document template is being used to put together the DVD sets (presumably QuarkXPress or something similar). But alas, as does often seem to be the case, we the fans often seem to have much more common sense than the monkey-butts in charge. Oh well... :rolleyes

Damon

I just received my R2 set of Season Two and hearing "Georgia on my Mind" while watching clear DVD video was heavenly!

I'll have some pictures and info on the Season Two page now! I am hoping to get some screenaps of the menus since they are different as well, but my region-free DVD player just crapped out :( so I'll have to get it fixed or get a new one. Might be a few days or even a couple weeks depending.

Last edited:
alsplacebartender said:
I'll have some pictures and info on the Season Two page now! I am hoping to get some screenaps of the menus since they are different as well, but my region-free DVD player just crapped out :( so I'll have to get it fixed or get a new one. Might be a few days or even a couple weeks depending.

I just checked out the pictures and also noticed that they wisely removed any mention of "bonus material" on the packaging. The Region 1 set is so butchered that the Region 2 can't help but be better.

Those region-free players apparently don't seem to be too reliable, though. :\ Was that a used or brand new one, Brian? I was thinking of picking one up myself when I eventually have the funds to get the Region 2 set.

QL Nut said:
Those region-free players apparently don't seem to be too reliable, though. :\ Was that a used or brand new one, Brian?

It was used, actually. I'll have to get a good one. Wasted $30 on it so I'll invest in a better quality one for sure now.

I have ordered a new player, should be here in a week at the most. Then I'll have those screencaps of the DVD menus for you guys!

Last edited:
I'm planning to buy the DVDs this weekend, but I have to admit that I am EXTREMELY confused right now. What are you talking about the out-of-order leap outs (if thats what it is)? It's not like he leaps out and into whoever's in the next ep? I'm also confused about the music editing thing. I'm just confused, I guess. I just need some clarification.

Also...so there's a difference between the UK dvds and the US ones I'm about to get? There isn't any way for me to get the UK dvds and have then kinda like transferred to the US system? I don't understand all the technical stuff. Copywrite issues may come up.

I also found a website on www.webworldwide.net that is selling all 5 season's of QL in one box, and it says its "Region's Free--plays worldwide"...again, theres confusion. I didn't think all seasons were out first of all and the whole "PAL/Regions" things is enough to make my brain explode. Someone help me please.

Samantha Beckett

That region-free complete set is a bootleg. Save your money for the real deals.

Samantha_Beckett said:
I'm planning to buy the DVDs this weekend, but I have to admit that I am EXTREMELY confused right now. What are you talking about the out-of-order leap outs (if thats what it is)? It's not like he leaps out and into whoever's in the next ep?
Yep, that's exactly what that is. Normally at the end of each episode they show Sam leaping from whoever he was in that episode, into who he is going to be in the next episode, but on the DVDs these are all mixed up so at the end of one episode he may leap into one person, but in the next episode he has leaped into someone totally different. This is because when Quantum Leap was shown on TV they sometimes mixed the episodes up, and so the DVD leap-outs are in the mixed up order they episodes were originally shown in, but the episodes themselves are in the order they were supposed to be in, without being all mixed up. I've probably made you more confused I'm sure.

Samantha_Beckett said:
I'm also confused about the music editing thing.
Because of problems with copyright etc the US versions of the DVDs have the music all changed. So, like, instead of having Georgia on my Mind at the end if MIA, they had some totally generic sounding song because they couldn't get the rights to put Georgia on my Mind on the DVDs. The UK DVDs don't have this problem because the copyrights are different in the UK.

Samantha_Beckett said:
Also...so there's a difference between the UK dvds and the US ones I'm about to get? There isn't any way for me to get the UK dvds and have then kinda like transferred to the US system? I don't understand all the technical stuff. Copywrite issues may come up.
Yep, there is a pretty big difference in terms of music at least. And there really isn't anyway to transfer your UK DVDs to your US system. You can play them in the US, but you need to have a multi-region DVD player *plus* a PAL compatible TV (PAL is the TV system that the UK and Australia too, use. The US TV system is called NTSC). Copyright doesn't come into that at all.
I hope I've helped
Fel

Actually, Wal-Mart has players that convert PAL to NTSC, and that can be hacked to region free for around 30-40 bucks. No need for another TV.

S-10 said:
Actually, Wal-Mart has players that convert PAL to NTSC, and that can be hacked to region free for around 30-40 bucks. No need for another TV.

Specific players please? I work at an electronics retailer and would love to be able to get one for myself....

I already made a post earlier in this thread about the DVD players and listed some examples.

All the 'Zone Free' DVD players bought from amazon.com should covert PAL to NTSC.

Last edited:
veggie said:
Yep, that's exactly what that is. Normally at the end of each episode they show Sam leaping from whoever he was in that episode, into who he is going to be in the next episode, but on the DVDs these are all mixed up so at the end of one episode he may leap into one person, but in the next episode he has leaped into someone totally different. This is because when Quantum Leap was shown on TV they sometimes mixed the episodes up, and so the DVD leap-outs are in the mixed up order they episodes were originally shown in, but the episodes themselves are in the order they were supposed to be in, without being all mixed up. I've probably made you more confused I'm sure.

Yeah, you kinda have:lol. Just as long as the episodes are in original order, that's all I really care about. I at least understand that, right? LOL.

veggie said:
Because of problems with copyright etc the US versions of the DVDs have the music all changed. So, like, instead of having Georgia on my Mind at the end if MIA, they had some totally generic sounding song because they couldn't get the rights to put Georgia on my Mind on the DVDs. The UK DVDs don't have this problem because the copyrights are different in the UK.

Okay, I understand the music thing now. However, one more clarification. When "MIA" aired here, they played Georgia on my Mind in that last dance between Al and Beth. So, on the American DVDs, Georgia on my Mind doesn't play, even tho it did when it aired here? That's one of my favorite songs with a lot of sentimental value for me, and I really hope its on the American DVDs.

S-10 said:
That region-free complete set is a bootleg. Save your money for the real deal.

Really? Wow, thanks a lot! I was just about to buy that set. *huggles*

Samantha Beckett

Samantha_Beckett said:
So, on the American DVDs, Georgia on my Mind doesn't play, even tho it did when it aired here?

Exactly.

With the exception of Season 1, which has all original music intact, the North American Region 1 sets of Season 2 and Season 3 have a considerable amount of omitted original music. The only original songs that were left in the episodes are songs that are directly sung or hummed by the characters (so that the scenes still make sense). Sometimes it can work without being noticed, but most of the time it completely destroys scenes as with the most devastating change, the omission of "Georgia On My Mind" in "M.I.A." So, in order for you to be able to have all original music, you'll need to purchase the Region 2 version of the second season.

This is due to copyright/licensing issues, as well as an apparent ongoing "tug-of-war" between the record industry and Universal Studios concerning contracts and fees.

Samantha_Beckett said:
Just as long as the episodes are in original order, that's all I really care about. I at least understand that, right? LOL.

Every episode on all DVD season sets (in all regions) are in the correct consecutive order. However, where your confusion comes in is regarding the "leap-outs" at the end of some episodes contradicting the correct episode order. For example, the leap-out for "All-Americans" has Sam leaping back into "The Color Of Truth" from Season 1 because NBC originally edited the episodes that way to account for repeats during the original run.

Most television shows have repeats during their season runs (24 is one notable exception), only Quantum Leap was unique in the fact that it always had a cliffhanger for the following episode. Universal did not tamper with the original editing of the NBC broadcasts to "correct" these repeat leap-outs in order for them to make sense chronologically. Some longtime fans (like myself) like that this was left alone for the sake of preservation, while others (typically first-time viewers) find it annoying and confusing because some leap-outs don't make sense.

Al's Cigar said:
I already made a post earlier in this thread about the DVD players and listed some examples.

All the 'Zone Free' DVD players bought from amazon.com should covert PAL to NTSC.

I know you did, but I was curious about which ones at Wal-Mart he was talking about....b/c the ones Amazon carries we don't, so I can't get them with my employee discount.... <wg>

McDuck said:
Specific players please? I work at an electronics retailer and would love to be able to get one for myself....

Only one I could find on the Wal-Mart website is the Cyberhome 300. Most of the actual stores have more.

Check out www.nerd-out.com/forum for lots of hackable players, and help on how to do it.

www.nerd-out.com/darrenk also has lots of the players, and firmware upgrades... but they may be pretty overwhelming for some.

Samantha_Beckett said:
So, on the American DVDs, Georgia on my Mind doesn't play, even tho it did when it aired here? {/QUOTE]

QL_NUT: Exactly.

That's cheap!!! That really sucks!

I'm still getting the DVDs this weekend, but I was thinking that if I was used to the sow the way it aired on TV, I wouldn't really miss (or know the difference) between the US and the UK version of the DVDs. So, since even the DVDs are different than it aired, I guess I am gonna notice the difference. I don't understand how that could happen, I think its cheap. But still, I'll love the DVDs just as much! ;)

Samantha Beckett

Last edited:
:roflmao:Thank you, I'm glad to be a part of it! *disgruntled mumbling* :realmad

I know they say life isn't fair, but wouldn't be nice that once in a while, it was? :lol

Samantha Beckett

Multi-Zone Players for US

McDuck said:
I know you did, but I was curious about which ones at Wal-Mart he was talking about....b/c the ones Amazon carries we don't, so I can't get them with my employee discount.... <wg>

Hi
I'm a new convert to region 2 DVD's, due solely to the QL R1 problems. Thankfully, I found out about the problems before I spent my money on S2,R1.
I just ordered season 2,R2, FROM CD-WOW---$39.95 and free shipping. That's cheaper than I could order it in the US with shipping.

For everyone trying to find a player for region 2 dvds---I just went through the entire list at walmart.com. They listed two that support both NTSC and PAL playback. Others may, be these two specifically state that they do--

Cyberhome CH-DVD655---$79.83
ILo DVDR 05 MU----$98.74

I just bought the Ilo, primarily because it is also a DVD recorder(goodbye VHS!). Note to prospective buyers--Wal-Mart carries this with different model #s--DVDR05-MU and DVDR05-ZU. Pass on the ZU and look until you can find an MU. While they look the same, they have different chipsets, and the ZU is gaining a reputation for frequent failure.

Anyway, both the sets I listed above can be set for any region or all regions. You won't find that in the manual, but it is very easy to do. For the DVDR05, after you have it set-up and connected, you simply do the following--
Turn on power and press "setup" on the remote
On the remote, press the following numbers in sequence-1, 6, 9, 5, 1, 8
A hidden menu will appear allowing you to select the region of your choice--0 thru 9. 0 is multi-regional, but keep in mind that some R1 dvds may not play on anything but the region 1 setting--I plan to switch between R1 and R2.
After selecting your region, power the player off, then back on--your changes should be in effect.

I'm not sure what the process is for the Cyberhome unit. It could also be a remote control process, or it could require a hacked firmware upgrade, which could probably be found on the internet. Keep in mind that using the remote control procedure does not harm your set, while an unauthorized firmware upgrade would probably void the warranty.

Anyway, there are solutions out there that don't cost too much. I needed a new DVD player anyway!

Goodluck to all, and thanks for all the great info you all post here.

Thanks for this info!!!! VERY helpful!!!

Just yesterday I saw one of our customers buying the Cyberhome and I was able to see on the packaging that it was PAL/NTSC.... I'm hoping to get mine either today or tomorrow now and then orderthe Region 2 Season 2 set!!

dvd region settings

emgrog said
A hidden menu will appear allowing you to select the region of your choice--0 thru 9. 0 is multi-regional, but keep in mind that some R1 dvds may not play on anything but the region 1 setting--I plan to switch between R1 and R2.
After selecting your region, power the player off, then back on--your changes should be in effect.

Can I just say that you need to be careful switching. Many dvd players, both those you attach to tv's and those that fit into computers will allow you to switch regions 5 times, after which they lock on the last region used. You could probably do this to begin with, and then hack to region 0 afterward, I'm not sure, but you should be aware that this locking is possible, or you could find that suddenly half your dvd's won't work.

Set the player to region 0.. Virtually anything from around the world will play in it. Never heard about this five times on a DVD player (but it is the case with DVD roms).