Leaping only in the USA?

QL Fan

Project QL Intern
Jul 28, 2008
I've noticed something while watching QL. With the exceptions of "The Leap Home - Vietnam" and "Lee Harvey Oswald" (while defecting in the Soviet Union), Sam only leaps within the USA.

Was it because it's an 'American' show?

QL Fan said:
I've noticed something while watching QL. With the exceptions of "The Leap Home - Vietnam" and "Lee Harvey Oswald" (while defecting in the Soviet Union), Sam only leaps within the USA.

Was it because it's an 'American' show?
Naturally being an 'American' show, it is easier for the writers to write what they know [don't I know that feeling!] and so the majority of episodes were set in America.

However, Sam's Crow is correct, there were others where Sam found himself outside his native country.

Blood Moon found him in London, England
Ghost Ship was set in the skies over the Bermuda Triangle
Sea Bride is similarly 'at sea' and so technically not 'in' America - though they may still have been in 'American waters' for at least most of the episode.
Curse of Ptah Hotep takes place in Egypt
Leaping of the Shrew is on an uncharted island

Have I forgotten any?

[Oh and of course there are a number of fanfics where Sam leaps out of the States. Shameless plugosity... check out my story 'Run for their Lives' at www.fanfiction.net which has Sam in London and Bedford, England - as an Irish nanny, complete with the accent!]

ohboy said:
Are those part of the television series, or fan fictions?

The first five I listed are television episodes, the last one [in brackets] is a fan-fiction I wrote a few years back, the third in my five story arc.