dvd in france

tomveil

Project QL Intern
Apr 19, 2009
Hello, does someone know if people in France can expect to the release of the three last seasons of QL one day ? The third season was announced for the end of 2007 but nothing happened. Now we are in 2009 and til today we can only find the first two seasons ! (I mean in french as the first possible language and in region code 2).
Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english !

Je sais pas.
I got tired of waiting, so I bought season 3 in England, and season 4 & 5 in region 1 (for the english subtitles), but you'll need a good understanding of English.
I'm thinking Universal France didn't release season 3 because of the music, but I thought the law was the same as in England, so I'm not sure... So still hoping it will come out here sooner or later, and with the right music :)

Well, they are releasing shows like "The A-Team" or "Magnum", so why not "Quantum Leap" ? It was quite popular over here, and I don't think people have forgotten.
So, Universal is apparently being stupid, once again.

I think they do remember, maybe even more than Magnum, but for some reason there were probably not enough dvd sales, which is too bad.

So what law or rights won't let QL be released in france?

Or am I misreading this topic?

I don't think that it's laws or rights.

(WARNING: Boring Economics Explanation! |I).

I can garner from the discussion that the dvds only made it to the third season, which would probably mean that it is not copyrights hindering it, but rather, it would not be cost-effective to produce the dvds. The dvd sales must have been low, and not worth the opportunity cost of creating the cds and packaging, transporting them to stores, and the manpower it would involve to complete those steps. The only way for QL DVDs to be released in France at this point would probably be for the demand of the item to increase, because if there is no demand for the item, then hence, there will be no supply. Therefore, there must a significant amount of people buying Quantum Leap CDs in France in order for QL to come to the country, because I don't think that copyright would be an issue, since it was fully released elsewhere.

(END of Boring Economics Explanation)

Do you understand, Angvav? Of course, if I did miss the mark, and misread the postings, then anyone from France should probably correct me.

Actually, only the first two seasons came out. And season 2 had music replacement on the french soundtrack (the english soundtrack is intact). It doesn't make much sense to me, but there must be some kind of weird law for music rights.
Anyway, that may be why there is still no news about season 3.

Well, if you guys really want to you can buy the english version from another country (may have to check your dvd players area restriction first). This way you get the original voices too. I missed so much of the original meaning of shows when I watched dubbed (german) versions.

Music rights, the way I understand it you have to pay the music creators every time you use their music and if they ask a lot of money that can be expensive. Maybe they had a contract for the english version and would have had to pay extra for the french. So if somebody else offers cheaper music they may take that instead.

ah camarades français ! suis comme vous en quète chevaleresque des saisons 3 4 et 5 de la série sur le sud de la france ! rien de rien ! meme pas possible de commander !! et puis les dvd US ne sont pas lisible sur cette zone avec nos appareils ! la quete du graal n'est pas simple! lol!

excuse me! a reminiscence !!! mdr Isaid I dont find season's 3 4 and 5 in france !! the graal is a priesthood !!! hihi !!

kiss

ah camarades français ! suis comme vous en quète chevaleresque des saisons 3 4 et 5 de la série sur le sud de la france ! rien de rien ! meme pas possible de commander !! et puis les dvd US ne sont pas lisible sur cette zone avec nos appareils ! la quete du graal n'est pas simple! lol!

Was sagten Sie? I'm afraid I don't speak nor write French...

Last edited:
I'll give it a try...

Ah, French friends! I am, like you, on a knight's quest for seasons 3, 4, and 5 of the series in the south of France! There's nothing! Impossible to order! And then the US DVDs aren't readable in this zone with our equipment. The quest for the grail isn't simple! LOL!

How was that, Grognette? :)

excuse me! a reminiscence !!! mdr Isaid I dont find season's 3 4 and 5 in france !! the graal is a priesthood !!! hihi !!

kiss

Good news ! For those who are interested, the season 3 will be released in France the 22nd of june ! 3 years of waiting ! I hope the 4th and the 5th will follow soon !