Quantum Leap on DVD: The Missing Music List (Seasons 1-4)

D

Dman176

Okay... although currently incomplete, this is the list I've compiled so far of all of the licensed songs that are featured in Seasons 1 & 2 (that I know of... I have never seen any of these episodes during their original run, only in syndication or broadcasted repeats. In many cases, I used the TEA information for reference, and anything that says "Unknown" is a song I'm not familiar with. If there are any that I've missed that anyone else knows of, or if I've made any mistakes, please feel free to fill in the blanks and I or one of the other moderators will edit this list accordingly). As far as I know, Season 1 is completely intact, but I'm including the songs anyway as reference for which songs have been omitted and why others are kept. For example: "Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley is intact in the pilot episode and yet other songs by Elvis are omitted in Season 2. In my opinion, there's no logical reason why they could've gotten one song cleared, but not others, other than they just simply didn't want to be bothered trying to clear the songs for Season 2 unless absolutely necessary. Another example: "The Twist" is intact in "Good Morning, Peoria," but omitted from another episode. Why one and not the other? They've already got the song cleared! Duh!!!
:stupid

Season 1

GENESIS
"Que Sera Sera" Performed by: Doris Day
"Hound Dog" Performed by: Elvis Presley
"Moonglow/Theme from 'Picnic'" Performed by: Morris Stoloff
"Thee I Love" Performed by: Pat Boone
"Ooby Dooby" Performed by: Roy Orbison

STAR-CROSSED
"American Pie" Performed by: Don McLean
"Betcha By Golly Wow" Performed by: The Stylistics
"In A Godda Da Vida" Performed by: Iron Butterfly
"We Live On Borrowed Time" Performed by: ?

THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD
"Takin' Care of Business" Performed by: Bachman-Turner Overdrive
"You Don't Mess Around With Jim" Performed by: Jim Croce

HOW THE TESS WAS WON
"Cold, Cold Heart" Performed by: Hank Williams

DOUBLE IDENTITY
"Stop In the Name of Love" Performed by: Diana Ross & The Supremes
"Hang On Sloopy" Performed by: The McCoys

CAMIKAZI KID
"The Wanderer" Performed by: Dion and The Belmonts
"Oh Boy" Performed by: Buddy Holly
"Rockin' Robin" Performed by: Bobby Day
"Why Must I Be a Teenager In Love" Performed by: Dion and The Belmonts
"Let It Be Me" Performed by: The Everly Brothers (Sam & Al sing along)

Season 2

DISCO INFERNO
"That's the Way I Like It" Performed by: K.C. & The Sunshine Band (OMITTED)
(OMITTED in the leap ending from "Honeymoon Express" as well)
"Kung Fu Fighting" Performed by: Carl Douglas (OMITTED)
"Do The Hustle" Performed by: Van McCoy & The Soul City Symphony (OMITTED)

GOOD MORNING, PEORIA
"Tutti Frutti" Performed by: Little Richard (Song is directly mentioned)
(OMITTED in the leap ending from "Blind Faith" however)
"April Love" Performed by: Pat Boone (Pat Boone is directly mentioned)
"All Shook Up" Performed by: Elvis Presley (OMITTED)
"Maybe Baby" Performed by: Buddy Holly & The Crickets (OMITTED)
"Sleepwalk" Performed by: Santo & Johnny (Unknown)
"Great Balls of Fire" Performed by: Jerry Lee Lewis (Song is directly mentioned)
"Yakkety Yak (Don't Talk Back)" Performed by: The Coasters (OMITTED)
"The Twist" Performed by: Chubby Checker (Song is directly mentioned while Sam is showing how to do the Twist)
"Jail House Rock" Performed by: Elvis Presley (OMITTED)
"Rock Around the Clock" Performed by: Bill Haley & The Comets (Group is directly mentioned)
"Sea Cruise" Performed by: Frankie Ford (Song is directly mentioned)
"The Glory of Love" Performed by: Brook Benton (Unknown)
"Shout" Performed by: The Isley Brothers (OMITTED)

THOU SHALT NOT
"Locomotion" Performed by: Little Eva (OMITTED)
"Killing Me Softly" Performed by: Roberta Flack (OMITTED)

ANIMAL FRAT
"Louie, Louie" Performed by: The Kingsmen (OMITTED) (Characters are mouthing out the words in silence, however)
"Surfin' USA" Performed by: The Beach Boys (OMITTED)
"La Bamba" Performed by: Richie Valens
"Wild Thing" Performed by: The Troggs
"I Can't Help Myself" Performed by: The Temptations (OMITTED)

ANOTHER MOTHER
"Call Me" Performed by: Blondie (OMITTED)
"Give Me the Night" Performed by: George Benson (Unknown)
"Shake It Up" Performed by: The Cars (OMITTED)
"He's So Shy" Performed by: The Pointer Sisters (OMITTED)

ALL-AMERICANS
"Big Girls Don't Cry" Performed by: Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons (OMITTED)
"Tequila" Performed by: The Champs (Everyone shouts out "Tequila!" at the end)
"The Stripper" Performed by: David Rose (Unknown)
"Let's Twist Again" Performed by: Chubby Checker (OMITTED) (People are doing the Twist, however)
"Sleepwalk" Performed by: Sanyo & Johnny (Unknown)
"La Bamba" Performed by: Richie Valens (We see the song title on the record label)

POOL HALL BLUES (Not familiar with the songs, but everything sounds like it belongs there)
"Baby I Don't Cry Over You" Performed by: Billie Holiday
"Momma Please Don't Dog Me Around" Performed by: ?

LEAPING IN WITHOUT A NET
"Cuanda La Gusta" Performed by: Carmen Miranda
"Tequila" Performed by: The Champs (OMITTED)

MAYBE BABY
"My Boyfriend's Back" Performed by: The Angels (Sam and Bunny sing along)
"Runaway" Performed by: Del Shannon (OMITTED)
"Maybe Baby" Performed by: Buddy Holly & The Crickets (Sam and Bunny sing along)
"Dancing In the Streets" Performed by: Martha and The Vandellas (OMITTED)

M.I.A.
"I Heard It Through the Grapevine" Performed by: Marvin Gaye (Sam starts humming along)
"Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay" Performed by: Otis Redding (OMITTED)
"This Guy's In Love With You" Performed by: Herb Alpert and His Tijuana Brass Band (OMITTED)
"Someday We'll Be Together" Performed by: Diana Ross & The Supremes (OMITTED)
"Unchained Melody" Performed by: The Righteous Brothers (OMITTED)
"Georgia On My Mind" Performed by: Ray Charles (OMITTED) (Even though Al specifically mentions the song earlier)

Season 3

THE LEAP HOME PART II – VIETNAM
"Wild Thing" Performed by: The Troggs (OMITTED)
"Raindrops" Performed by: Dee Clark (OMITTED)
"Someday We’ll Be Together" Performed by: Diana Ross & The Supremes (OMITTED)
"I Wish That It Would Rain" Performed by: The Temptations (OMITTED)

ONE STROBE OVER THE LINE
"Stop in the Name of Love" Performed by: Diana Ross & The Supremes (OMITTED)
"You Really Got Me" Performed by: The Kinks (OMITTED)
"Locomotion" Performed by: Little Eva (OMITTED)

MISS DEEP SOUTH
"I’m Walkin’" Performed by: Fats Domino (OMITTED)
"Splish Splash" Peformed by: Bobby Darin (OMITTED)

BLACK ON WHITE ON FIRE
"My Girl" Performed by: The Temptations (OMITTED)
"Ooo Baby Baby" Performed by: Smokey Robinson & the Miracles (OMITTED)
"Tracks of My Tears" Performed by: Smokey Robinson & the Miracles (OMITTED)
"Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag" Performed by: James Brown (OMITTED)
"Baby, I Need Your Lovin’" Performed by: The Four Tops (OMITTED)

REBEL WITHOUT A CLUE
"Jailhouse Rock" Performed by: Elvis Presley (OMITTED)
"The Great Pretender" Performed by: Freddie Mercury (OMITTED)
"Be-Bop-A-Lula" Performed by: Gene Vincent (OMITTED)

RUNAWAY
"What’ll I Do?" Performed by: Irving Berlin
"Crazy" Performed by: Patsy Cline (OMITTED)
"Runaway" Performed by: Dell Shannon
"Our Day Will Come" Performed by: Ruby & The Romantics (OMITTED)
"Moon River" Performed by: Audrey Hepburn (?) (OMITTED)
"Walk Like a Man" Performed by: Frankie Valle and The Four Seasons (OMITTED)

8 1/2 MONTHS
"Honky-Tonk Man" Performed by: Johnny Horton (?) (Unknown)
"Honky-Tonk Angel" Performed by: Johnny Horton (?) (Unknown)
"Hey, Hey, Mama (Can Your Daddy Come Home?)" Performed by: Johnny Horton (?) (Unknown)

PRIVATE DANCER
"Ladies’ Night" Performed by: Kool & The Gang
(OMITTED in the leap ending from "Future Boy")
"For the Love of Money" Performed by: The O’Jays (OMITTED)
"Get Away" (?)
"For You" (?)
"Daybreak" Performed by: Cheryl Lynn

Season 4 (List not by DMan, only music omission are listed)

THE LEAP BACK
“Is You Is or Is You Ain’t My Baby?” Performed by: B.B. King (OMITTED)

PLAY BALL
“Traveling Man” Performed by: Ricky Nelson (OMITTED)

HURRICANE
“It’s a Beautiful Morning” Performed by: The Rascals (OMITTED)

RUNNING FOR HONOR
“Easier Said Than Done” Performed by: The Essex (OMITTED)

TEMPTATION EYES
“I Want to Know What Love Is” Performed by: Foreigner (OMITTED)

IT’S A WONDERFUL LEAP
“Someone to Watch Over Me” Performed by: George Gershwin (OMITTED)
“Somewhere” Performed by: Stephen Sondheim (for “West Side Story”) (OMITTED)

MOMENTS TO LIVE
“All I Have to Do Is Dream” Performed by: The Everly Brothers (OMITTED)

STAND-UP
“Orange Colored Sky” Performed by: Natalie Cole (OMITTED)
“Smoke Gets In Your Eyes” (OMITTED)
“World Is Brighter” (OMITTED)

A LEAP FOR LISA
“April Love” Performed by: Pat Boone (OMITTED)

Also note that I have not included instances when Scott, Dean, or other actors sing their own covers of songs, such as in "Catch a Falling Star," which is intact (since the entire episode revolves around Man Of La Mancha).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there are at least 4 intact episodes "The Americanization Of Machiko", "Catch A Falling Star", "A Portrait For Troian" and "Freedom". Of course, I'm not that sure about it but that's my guess after watching all episodes and refering to the episode guide here at Al's Place.

Okay, 5 episodes if QL Nut is right with "Jimmy":
p073.ezboard.com/falsplac...D=56.topic

Thee I Love is performed by Pat Boone. Another song in the pilot was Moonglow/Theme from "Picnic" as performed by Morris Stoloff. This is the instrumental to which Sam and his wife dance in the bar.

Ah, yes, I recognize Pat Boone's voice now. Thanks!

Damon

I'm glad to help. You've done a great service with this list. Hopefully, if Universal gets the message, the list for season 3 won't need a single Omitted.

I just put this list on our Season Two DVD page, Damon. Thanks for doing the work on this! It's extremely helpful.

Guys, please make sure you visit the page and look for mailing addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers there to contact Universal about this issue! They need to know we are upset and want it improved!

www.quantumleap-alsplace....sontwo.htm

You know, I thought it might be. Still doesn't make any sense, because that song still requires you to do the Twist. Thanks, Mike! :)

I can't believe the butchering of the music caused to season 2. Thanks for making this list. Depressing as it is to see it's nice to know conclusively what was changed.

> Re: Quantum Leap: The Definitive Music List

Wow... And I thought I didn't want to buy the set before this list was made...

They removed "Runaway" from "Runaway." :wacko

Re: Music List

I'm going to add that the lists I've been making are far from complete, especially for Season 3...plus, I only watched the Season 2 & 3 DVDs once. If other people have the original broadcast recordings and can help fill in the blanks, it would be appreciated.

I might as well also use this space to mention that "Last Dance Before an Execution" has the same audio problem that "Jimmy" had in Season 2: the audio track for the entire episode sounds slightly distorted, like a 33 RPM vinyl album playing at 32 RPMs...just enough to throw the sound off; Scott's voice sounds a bit deeper than normal. Listen to the opening credit sequence in other episodes, then play the same sequence in "Jimmy" and "Last Dance" and you'll see what I mean.

Guess it really is too much to ask the people who put these things together to even check that the master transfer was successful before they encoded the data onto the mass-produced DVD copies. :rolleyes

Re: Music List

Geez. First, "Play It Again, Seymour" had the opening credit sequence from Season 2 on the first season set, then the audio problem with "Jimmy" on Season 2, now the same problem with "Last Dance Before An Execution" on Season 3. Seems like these guys average one mistake per season on top of the butchering. Definitely half-hearted carelessness. No competent home video department would overlook these mistakes and not change them. In fact, no competent department would be making those mistakes in the first place. :hmm

Pardon my stupidity...
But I don't get it. The songs were omitted from what?
From the DVD? But, but, but... they're on my DVD! 'Animal Frat' would NOT be the same without 'Louie, Louie'!

Oh. I see. Makes sense now. Thank you! I'll try not to gloat, in that case. You poor devils...! Sorry. But, seriously, the music makes the show! No, that's the last time. I'm going away now.

I just saw MIA without "Georgia On My Mind", and I am furious. I have to admit, I was wondering if the mass freaking out everyone was doing was justified, but now I clearly know that it is! Elevator musak...instead of the greatest song Ray Charles ever wrote...and the whole basis for the tear jerking scene????? Blasphemy!

Samantha Beckett

Huh??

Samantha Beckett said:
I just saw MIA without "Georgia On My Mind", and I am furious. I have to admit, I was wondering if the mass freaking out everyone was doing was justified, but now I clearly know that it is! Elevator musak...instead of the greatest song Ray Charles ever wrote...and the whole basis for the tear jerking scene????? Blasphemy!

Samantha Beckett

I was in yours shoes yesterday when I put in MIA... having no clue about that Universal did any music replacement. At about the 10 minute marker, something told me this wasn't right. It just didn't FEEL like the episode I remembered. Then we got to the last scene, and I hurled. :realmad I was so upset!

In thinking about this, I suppose it did make sense if whatever ASCAP or BMI licensing agreed to back in 1990. The terms of typical contracts don’t go beyond a certain number of years, and I am willing to bet that Universal didn’t want to go through the hassle of re-negotiating or creating new contracts with ASCAP or BMI.

So, it looks (and sounds) like they just told some kid making $6 an hour to put "something that sounds nice" on the DVD’s from the Universal library of royalty free music. Universal didn’t bother to consider the artistic and emotional frame of mind achieved with the original songs in the episodes.
Hang onto your VHS’s, folks. It looks like that’s about as good as its gonna get.

~Kirok

WKRP In Cincinnati...

They also did the royal music treatment to WKRP when they released the DVD sets, replacing it with standard rock-ish sounding library music.

Luckily, you can still find the original episodes (as they aired) on eBay.

Two things -

1 - what song is playing in the original ep of "Good Morning, Peoria" when Bakula and Pat Richardson are slow dancing in the DJ booth and he kisses her?

2 - has there been any talk of a re-release with all of the original music intact ? (for USA, so I guess that means R1?)

Samantha Beckett said:

Just so you know, Ray Charles recorded the best known version, but "Georgia on My Mind" was written in 1930 by Stuart Gorrell (lyrics) and Hoagy Carmichael (music).

I'm really starting to think that Universal sucks, and that they have no respect for us as fans/consumers of their products. I have yet to purchase the second season DVDs because of the music issue. The people who treat the soundtrack this way obviously have no soul!
:cry

I have region 4 DVDs and the only major music omission that I noticed was in season 4 "Temptation Eyes", where "I Want To Know What Love Is" was missing. Everything else seems to be intact.

But I really feel for you Americans :(

Except for "Temptation Eyes" as mentioned, the R2 Season 4 set appears to have most all the music. I'll check more closely in the next few days.

Glad I didn't bother with Region 1.

Thank you for all your work on the list of songs. The song Can' t help myself is by the Four tops.
Get away is from Earth wind and Fire.

In Good Morning, Peoria the song "The Glory of Love" is actually sung by The Five Keys.

I was wondering why people were complaining about the music on the DVDs because I couldn't hear anything wrong with it and thought it was the quality and not being a music buff couldn't hear the inferior quality. But after having met some region 1 owners I now know we are talking the removal of the original soundtrack and being replaced with really bad elevator music that doesn't fit the scene.

I had my ipod at the convention which has every episode copied from the region 4 (Australia) DVDs. We checked the music and it appears that I am blessed with original music. Finally there is an advantage to being an Aussie Quantum Leap fan!

I've just watched "Hurricane" (season 4) and It"It’s a Beautiful Morning” by The Rascals was NOT omitted (not in region 1 anyway).
Maybe it's time to update the list ?
Ras cals