Quantum Leap on DVD: The Missing Music List (Seasons 1-4)

I'm glad I finally received Season One (R1) as a late birthday present from my Mom. Watched all eight episodes and had fond memories from when I was a kid watching this show. I looked on here and on DVDCompare.net about the rest of the seasons. I ordered Seasons Two and Three from Amazon UK and am currently awaiting their arrival.
Bummer about Season Four of course. Good thing the Ion channel is currently airing S4 so I can record the episodes which has the music changed. Thankfully Season Five is in the clear.
Sometimes I wish I had the Sliders remote, slide into an alternate universe, buy unaltered Season Four and, yes I know, Seasons Six and Seven. That's how strong I feel this show should've gone on.

Ok, I've just finished watching season 4 on dvds, and I was happy to see that there were very few omissions in this season, and that the music list on this thread was very wrong.

None of this songs were omitted :

IT’S A WONDERFUL LEAP
“Someone to Watch Over Me” ( NOT OMITTED)
“Somewhere” (for “West Side Story”) (NOT OMITTED)

MOMENTS TO LIVE
“All I Have to Do Is Dream” Performed by: The Everly Brothers (NOT OMITTED)

STAND-UP
“Orange Colored Sky” Performed by (NOT OMITTED)
“Smoke Gets In Your Eyes” (NOT OMITTED)
“World Is Brighter” (NOT OMITTED)

A LEAP FOR LISA
“April Love” Performed by: Pat Boone (NOT OMITTED)

At some point, I will get around to editing the list and try to make it as accurate as possible. I haven't edited in a long time mainly because I hadn't been around the board in a couple of years, and also because I actually still have yet to watch most of Seasons 4 and 5 on DVD, even though I bought them both the day they came out.

I do have one request, which I hope some music aficionado could help with:

Does anyone know what the name of that "club/dance" tune from "Killin' Time" is? It's the one that plays when the prostitute plays the video for Stiles and right before Al gets shot. I have been trying to figure out what that tune is for a long time (I have heard it outside of that episode). It would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I just saw MIA without "Georgia On My Mind", and I am furious. I have to admit, I was wondering if the mass freaking out everyone was doing was justified, but now I clearly know that it is! Elevator musak...instead of the greatest song Ray Charles ever wrote...and the whole basis for the tear jerking scene????? Blasphemy!

Samantha Beckett

I couldnt agree more,the soundtrack to a show is just as important as whats on the screen,by changing the music rather than paying royalties to keep it intact,the emotional impact of the scene suffers.
That was really a very moving scene and that song was integral to it.
"Georgia on my mind" by Ray Charles was Beths favorite song,that scene really suffers without it.

They also did the royal music treatment to WKRP when they released the DVD sets, replacing it with standard rock-ish sounding library music.

Luckily, you can still find the original episodes (as they aired) on eBay.

"Gumby" also suffered a similar fate,with all the original Capitol production music being replaced with horrible 80's synthesizer crap.

I couldnt agree more,the soundtrack to a show is just as important as whats on the screen,by changing the music rather than paying royalties to keep it intact,the emotional impact of the scene suffers.
That was really a very moving scene and that song was integral to it.
"Georgia on my mind" by Ray Charles was Beths favorite song,that scene really suffers without it.
I own Region 2 UK PAL Season 2 release and ALL music is intact. I imported it. Pity more people aren't multi-region capable of which they gripe and moan about it.
It took me less than a month to buy/get all of Quantum Leap on DVD. I got Season One US as a semi-late birthday present, ordered Seasons Two and Three via Amazon.co.uk which shipped/arrived in less-than three business days, Season Four downloaded the original broadcast episodes and put them on two DVD-R's to play on my XBOX 360 and Season Five I got two weeks ago.
In the back of my mind I'm wanting to order Seasons Six, Seven and Eight but I'd have to pull a "Sliders" in order to buy them from an alternate universe. Yeah, and those three wouldn't have any music replacement. Don't I wish.:wacko

just thinking about some of the missing music in the episodes but i am glad that they have released QL on dvd even if some scenes have generic music.

i love the programme 'the wonder years' and the complete set still hasn't been issued on dvd as there is so much music in there, that there are too many copyright issues.

with QL some songs can be replaced but the wonder years it must be harder to change the original music, as the music did play a big part throughout the programme.

Can someone confirm for definite that the UK DVDs have the original music intact as per the original run of the show?
I can't imagine watching it without these songs, they were selected for a reason and add a lot to the scenes.

So can anyone here confirm if the UK DVD versions still have the original music intact? I think it's sad that universal for allowed the show to be edited for the DVDs.The music was integral to the to the sincerity and emotional tone of certain scenes.

I can't speak to all the episodes, as I've not actually managed to watch them all yet, but certainly the Beth/Al scene at the end of MIA still has Georgia on My Mind instead of that hideous musak that the US version played.

I can't speak to all the episodes, as I've not actually managed to watch them all yet, but certainly the Beth/Al scene at the end of MIA still has Georgia on My Mind instead of that hideous musak that the US version played.

Thanks for letting me know "Leaper1"! That's really good news.M.I.A. is one of my very favorite episodes of Quantum Leap,it was beautifully written and really gave the audience a chance to see the deeper side of Al.

The ending is heartbreaking to watch,as Al can see her,but can't touch her and let her know he's still alive. Even as a guy that was tough to watch. I was angry with Sam for not compromising his prinicpals for his best friend when it was obvious Beth was the only woman he ever really loved.

At least in the last episode we learned Al and Beth were together,but I always wondered if he was still working with Sam on Project Quantum Leap or if he went a different path after time was altered.

I really wish the series ran longer so the ending wasnt so forced.

Thanks for letting me know "Leaper1"! That's really good news.M.I.A. is one of my very favorite episodes of Quantum Leap,it was beautifully written and really gave the audience a chance to see the deeper side of Al.

The ending is heartbreaking to watch,as Al can see her,but can't touch her and let her know he's still alive. Even as a guy that was tough to watch. I was angry with Sam for not compromising his prinicpals for his best friend when it was obvious Beth was the only woman he ever really loved.

At least in the last episode we learned Al and Beth were together,but I always wondered if he was still working with Sam on Project Quantum Leap or if he went a different path after time was altered.

I really wish the series ran longer so the ending wasnt so forced.
It's worth reading the ending coda in the Mirror Image script which can be found here on Al's Place. It gives a few more answers.

According to the book Another Time, Another Place -- Quantum Leap, which was only recently given to me for my birthday back in January, one of the tidbits for "Mirror Image" mentions that the alternate scripted ending is actually a hoax:

• There is no alternate ending script in existence that continues the series, even though websites and even other publications have claimed to have one with a leap into the future. At the time Bellisario wrote Mirror Image no pitch to the network would have helped since Bellisario knew the series was cancelled. In response to this script that appears on websites as an alternate script, Bellisario calls this script "urban legend" and wants to let all fans know that this is not a legitimate end to the series and not a sixth season opener.

• There was an alternate ending shot that focuses on the photo of Al and his four children and Beth, rather than the cryptic wording that Bellisario left fans at the end of Mirror Image. However Bellisario decided that it would be the worded ending that would decide the fate of the series, not the family focus shot.

What it boils down to is that "Mirror Image" would have basically ended the same way regardless of whether the series had been cancelled or not. The only difference is the wording which gave more of a sense of finality. Having said that, Don has stated in the past that Sam and Al would have still found each other somehow (almost like two "star-crossed lovers"). The show would have continued with Al being a bit different to a certain degree.

According to the book Another Time, Another Place -- Quantum Leap, which was only recently given to me for my birthday back in January, one of the tidbits for "Mirror Image" mentions that the alternate scripted ending is actually a hoax:

There is no alternate ending script in existence that continues the series, even though websites and even other publications have claimed to have one with a leap into the future. At the time Bellisario wrote Mirror Image no pitch to the network would have helped since Bellisario knew the series was cancelled. In response to this script that appears on websites as an alternate script, Bellisario calls this script "urban legend" and wants to let all fans know that this is not a legitimate end to the series and not a sixth season opener.

• There was an alternate ending shot that focuses on the photo of Al and his four children and Beth, rather than the cryptic wording that Bellisario left fans at the end of Mirror Image. However Bellisario decided that it would be the worded ending that would decide the fate of the series, not the family focus shot.
What it boils down to is that "Mirror Image" would have basically ended the same way regardless of whether the series had been cancelled or not. The only difference is the wording which gave more of a sense of finality. Having said that, Don has stated in the past that Sam and Al would have still found each other somehow (almost like two "star-crossed lovers"). The show would have continued with Al being a bit different to a certain degree.
I wonder if this book is as accurate as Louis Chunovic's. ;)

And considering there were already ideas plotted out for a 6th season, the idea that Bellisario wrote Mirror Image knowing that the show was cancelled doesn't jive.

Someone on another forum that i am a member on is working on putting the music back in the way it is suppose to be. i will keep anyone informed if interested.

I'd be interested in hearing updates on the soundtrack for the DVDs. I think it's ridiculous to not have the original soundtrack for the show. Thankfully I didn't get the DVDs before I heard about that. I am contemplating getting a multiregional DVD player and getting the region 2 DVDs from the UK. In the meantime, I am watching the show on G4, Netflix and hulu--But that has it's disadvantages too. :b Netflix doesn't have all the episodes for streaming, and you have to sit through commercials watching it on G4 hulu. Also, hulu used to have all the episodes, but they have pulled a couple of episodes that were available before which is stupid. It can't be THAT hard to get music cleared for streaming--Any shows that have already been on T.V. shouldn't need to get clearance to be broadcast again. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. :realmad

I'd be interested in hearing updates on the soundtrack for the DVDs. I think it's ridiculous to not have the original soundtrack for the show. Thankfully I didn't get the DVDs before I heard about that. I am contemplating getting a multiregional DVD player and getting the region 2 DVDs from the UK. In the meantime, I am watching the show on G4, Netflix and hulu--But that has it's disadvantages too. :b Netflix doesn't have all the episodes for streaming, and you have to sit through commercials watching it on G4 hulu. Also, hulu used to have all the episodes, but they have pulled a couple of episodes that were available before which is stupid. It can't be THAT hard to get music cleared for streaming--Any shows that have already been on T.V. shouldn't need to get clearance to be broadcast again. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. :realmad

I would go with the region 2 DVDs, thats what I did and all the music seems to be intact, you dont necessarily have to get another DVD player just decrypt the DVDs and reburn burn them without any region codes, thats what I did and they are just fine.

I discovered the region settings for the DVD player on my computer can be changed, so I will probably hold off on getting a multiregional DVD player for the time being and just watch them on my computer. It might be worth having later though. In the meantime, I've being ordering the DVDs from the UK as I'm able to.

I discovered the region settings for the DVD player on my computer can be changed, so I will probably hold off on getting a multiregional DVD player for the time being and just watch them on my computer. It might be worth having later though. In the meantime, I've being ordering the DVDs from the UK as I'm able to.

Be careful - normally the region setting change on a computer isn't infinite. You get 5 changes, then whichever region you are on, you are stuck with.
This applies to both Macs and PCs in my experience, though someone may be able to tell me differently.
I have a portable dvd player for my local region 2 dvds, so I've set my computer to region 1 to allow me to play dvds that aren't available over here.

Thanks for the heads up. :) I think a portable DVD player is worth investing in, I will probably do that eventually. In the meantime I'll be cautious. The main one I'm interested in seeing at this point is Disco Inferno. They don't have it on Netflix or Hulu--They're not even playing it on G4. :b :realmad Okay, so I understand there might be copyright issues and all, but they're not even playing it on T.V. anymore? What is up with that? Blah.

Of course, I am glad to be able to watch it at all, so I'll refrain from getting too upset about one episode. It's still dumb though. :nut

Except for "Temptation Eyes" as mentioned, the R2 Season 4 set appears to have most all the music. I'll check more closely in the next few days.

Glad I didn't bother with Region 1.

I've just reached 'Temptation Eyes' in my comparison run through. Up to that point the episodes all match in S4. I've converted my 'off tv' video to dvd to preserve the soundtrack of that ep - for personal use only of course.

I'll let you guys know of any other changes as and when I find them, but I don't have much time for checking just now.

Last edited:
Sounds like the region 2 set is the way to go. I still think its a shame Universal cheaped out on the release rather than putting out the money to do it right.Its not like it would have broken them.
They just released "The Wonder Years" complete series on DVD after many years of fans clamoring for it.It got hung up for the same reasons,music rights.

• There is no alternate ending script in existence that continues the series, even though websites and even other publications have claimed to have one with a leap into the future. At the time Bellisario wrote Mirror Image no pitch to the network would have helped since Bellisario knew the series was cancelled.
One problem...

ScottBakula said:
"I think that if people understand the circumstances that [creator Donald Bellisario] wrote that episode under -- we didn't know we were canceled at the time," says Bakula. "That's more the norm now, they know it's their last season, so they can wrap up loose ends. But we didn't know that.

"So Don had to write an episode of this series that would allow us to come back if they picked is up, or it would allow for a future if there was going to be a movie, or allow it to also be a final episode if that were to be the case. I feel like if you watch the episode given that information, it becomes even more spectacular.

In response to this script that appears on websites as an alternate script, Bellisario calls this script "urban legend" and wants to let all fans know that this is not a legitimate end to the series and not a sixth season opener.
"Another Time, Another Place" hasn't gotten the best reviews on accuracy.

Wasn't 'Mirror Image' originally written as a finale to the 4th season? The show was in danger of being cancelled then, but the fans wrote letters and pushed to get the series continued - and succeeded in getting one more season out of it. I'm admittedly not completely knowledgable about what is just rumor and what is fact surrounding this show, but I think 'Mirror Image' was planned as the season 4 finale with the alternate-ending script intended to open season 5 (if it happened, as they were thinking at the time). I do remember reading somewhere that 'Mirror Image' was filmed during the 4th season (and actually if you look at Sam's hair, his haircut in 'Mirror Image' is the same as other episodes in season 4, whereas in season 5 his hair is different). Then they changed a few things when they aired it as the season 5/series finale.

I've just reached 'Temptation Eyes' in my comparison run through. Up to that point the episodes all match in S4. I've converted my 'off tv' video to dvd to preserve the soundtrack of that ep - for personal use only of course.

I'll let you guys know of any other changes as and when I find them, but I don't have much time for checking just now.

I've now finished comparing all the episodes in S4. The only other one that seems to have any music substitution is 'Leap for Lisa'. This is only one short scene and is not too noticeable, but I've still made a dvd copy of my original video to preserve it.

By the way, I've not kept the earlier videos, but I still have the last 9 or so eps of S4 with original [Sky tv] broadcast music. They are British [PAL format not NTSC] videos, but if anyone would like them before I send them to the dump you can have them for the cost of postage. I'll similarly have all the S5 video eps once I've done the comparison.

Interesting aside: I HATED the S5 theme version when I first heard it and ever since, but putting on LHO today, I found I no longer mind it so much.
* Shrug.

I just bought Season 2 Digitally on VUDU.com and the music seems to have been restored. At least to Good Morning Peoria, and most importantly, Georgia on My Mind has been restored to the end of MIA