Explanation on why some leap-outs on the DVD's are out-of-order

i have read this thread but i still don't have a answer - why does he leap into someone then the next programme he is someone else - thanks!

i have read this thread but i still don't have a answer - why does he leap into someone then the next programme he is someone else - thanks!

You sure you've read it all? Or maybe I'm not following. Can you please give an example of what you're talking about? Try to name a specific episode, please.

You sure you've read it all? Or maybe I'm not following. Can you please give an example of what you're talking about? Try to name a specific episode, please.

sorry - maybe i am being a bit thick. is it the producer wanted to make the series this way? By having sam beckett leap into one person at the end of a episode but be someone else at the start of the new episode?

If I'm understanding your question correctly, then the reason is because the leap-in sequences at the end were out of order on the DVDs.

Another reason is...

In the case of the end of Season 1, he leaped into Samantha Stormer, but when they came back at the start of Season 2, he was someone else.

They wanted something to pull viewers back in for Season 2 and having Sam leap into a woman was the perfect thing. However it wasn't how they wanted to start the new season.

When Quantum Leap originally aired on NBC, sometimes certain episodes would be followed by repeats. Henceforth, the end of the episode would be edited to show Sam leaping into the repeat to show what the following episode would be. If a new episode aired after the repeat, then that ending would be edited the same way.

With the apparent exception of Season 5, the DVDs were not edited the same way they are in syndication, but rather the way the original episodes aired. (So, if the episode originally aired with a leap-in to a repeated episode, then that's the ending that's used on the DVDs.) Example: On Season 3, "Runaway" ends with a leap-in to a repeat of "The Color of Truth" if I remember correctly; this was planned when the episode originally aired, but when NBC pulled QL from the schedule for 2 months (it was nearly cancelled), that repeat never aired. When QL finally returned (helped along by the letter-writing campaign), it returned with a new episode, "8 1/2 Months." The leap-in to this episode was only added in reruns, which is why it's not added to the end of "Runaway" on the Season 3 DVD.

For the record, all of the episodes are in the correct airdate order on the DVD sets, and they are considered the official order of the episodes. It's just that some of the leap endings into repeat episodes were not edited correctly (except for Season 5).

Hope that clears it up for you.

Damon

Well, that's basically the whole thread, that's why I was wondering if he/she had really read it all.

So some of them were because the next week would be a rerun and some others such as into Samantha or Oswald as a cliffhanger?

8o OK. That's interesting.

I always used to think that they hadn't managed to shoot the leap in for the next show at the time that they had to finish editing :eek::)

Does anyone know why they would air a rerun rather than a new episode?

(I hardly ever read whole threads really properly, I usually just skim them. :) )

Because, like this whole thread implies, they hadn't finished shooting the new episode on time. The new episode was usually ready after the repeat, that's why they leaped him from the rerun to the new episode.

:) )

There are certain times in the TV season when reruns are aired as opposed to first-run because viewership is lower. Examples would be the period after Christmas, very close to holidays or on a holiday, or if a competing network is showing something that will garner high viewship (ie Superbowl, Olympics, etc.). It has nothing to do with the next episode not being ready in time and all to do with how many viewers would be available to watch.

There are certain times in the TV season when reruns are aired as opposed to first-run because viewership is lower. Examples would be the period after Christmas, very close to holidays or on a holiday, or if a competing network is showing something that will garner high viewship (ie Superbowl, Olympics, etc.). It has nothing to do with the next episode not being ready in time and all to do with how many viewers would be available to watch.

Not always, though. But it was a very good guess.

Last edited:
Reason for wrong leap-ins

I understand what people are saying here, but see that was a valid excuse while the show was still ON-AIR. Once the show had ended, Universal should've taken the EXTRA time to go back and re-edit the wrong leap-ins to correct them. It's just another example of Universal's SUB-PAR effort in releasing these DVDs to the public. Being CHEAP on the music licensing, not having more bonus stuff, and also NOT putting it out on blu-ray when there's CLEARLY a strong fan base still going.

And don't say it's too old to be put on blu-ray. They just released the full Dick Van Dyke show on blu-ray, and that show is from the 1960s! Though both shows are very different, they both were very popular in their time and are still loved today.

I understand what people are saying here, but see that was a valid excuse while the show was still ON-AIR. Once the show had ended, Universal should've taken the EXTRA time to go back and re-edit the wrong leap-ins to correct them.

They actually did do that. When the series was shown on TV1 in Australia, every leap-out led to the next episode in the series. My mother had taped every single episode in order with the correct leap-ins onto VHS, but I bought the DVDs when they came out. I was SHOCKED when Sam leapt into "reruns", but now I know it's because they showed the episodes as they were originally aired. Why they didn't just put the corrected episodes onto the DVDs I'll never know, seeing as they already did the corrections...

It's clear that they changed the start of each episode from Sam giving a synopsis of what happened in the previous leap, to Ziggy giving an overview of the show itself, so that they could air the episodes out-of-order. My question is, before they changed to Ziggy's introduction, when they aired a repeat, did it give a synopsis of the episode that had just been played?

A perfect example is Animal Frat. The start of the episode has Sam talk about what he did during the Camikazi Kid episode, rather than what happened in A Portrait For Troian. When they repeated Camikazi Kid, did they have Sam talk about A Portrait For Troian, or was his retelling of the Colour of Truth replayed?

Are the leap-outs still mixed up on the "ultimate collection" set from the UK? Also, how much of the music is replaced in that set, too?

... it's pretty quiet in here these days.
I don't know anything about the uk set, I'm afraid.

I think I have that ultimate collection set, but I haven't seen the original airings so I have no idea whether the music was replaced or anything, because this is the only version I know.
As to the leap outs... phheeww.... actually, I don't remember. I THINK they were in the right order, but my memory might trick me. Will check when I find the time (but that might be a while, I'm a little busy with real life at the moment)

Cheers
Vicky