Season 4 DVD Flaw - Audio Pitch

QL Nut

Project QL Intern
Apr 4, 2004
Long Island, NY
Upon purchasing the Season 4 set, I had the thought in the back of my mind that there may be audio problems with certain episodes as with the second and third seasons. (The audio for "Jimmy" in Season 2 was off-pitch, as was "Last Dance Before An Execution" in Season 3.)

Well, it turns out Universal has done it again. This time it's with "Hurricane." And it's also the worst audio screw up of all. It's even more off-pitch than the previous episodes I mentioned. The music, sound effects, voices...all way too deep and slow. Once again, DAMN YOU, UNIVERSAL!!! :realmad

EDIT: There's also the same audio problem with the episode "Justice." What the heck is going on here? That's all I've checked so far, but who knows what else?

Last edited:
Speaking of flaws, there were also at least two episodes - I can't remember which ones now but I think one was "Justice" - that had a blue line running down the screen. What was up with that?!

I didn't notice anything during "hurricane" but I noticed really bad audio problems during "Justice" I'm only just now watching "Raped" that is as far as I have gotten. Does anyone have any idea what is the best thing for me to do next?

Universal needs to be held accountable for the poor quality of their dvds

I haven't noticed the kinds of audio flaws or blue lines listed above, but like the earlier DVDs, there are points where the film seems, well, grainy. As if they didn't take care of the actual film or clean it properly before transferring it to DVD. It happens in a couple of different episodes. I've watched the discs on 2 different TVs and on computer.

bluedana said:
I haven't noticed the kinds of audio flaws or blue lines listed above, but like the earlier DVDs, there are points where the film seems, well, grainy. As if they didn't take care of the actual film or clean it properly before transferring it to DVD. It happens in a couple of different episodes. I've watched the discs on 2 different TVs and on computer.

Thanks for the response. :D

my set is fine, although i have not watched jutice yet, i don't like that episode too much, it's creepy.
but the only thing wrong that i have seen on mine so far was that the box broken at the spine and i had to tape it up. but i think that is the fault of the mailman for the way he had it shoved in my mailbox. he should have just put it in the parcel locker, there is more space.

Well i'm completly happy with my region 2 version of my season 3 boxset i got.
But i'm aware that you are talking about the region 1 versions.

Hearing of all the complaints about your Quantum leap boxsets, i'm now happy to wait that little bit longer till the release of the season 4 boxset, because at least it will have the correct music and great image quality.

Universal need to pull their finger out and make the R1 versions as good as the R2 sets. The boxsets are not that cheap to buy, and i think you should get a good quality product. There really is no excuses.

I think all of you who brought a bad QL boxset should write a very strong complaint to Universal or whoever.

And maybe switch to a R2 dvd player and buy the R2 boxsets, so you can enjoy QL in all its shining glory.

Noticed another peculiar flaw with the Season 4 set... I popped in "Temptation Eyes" and right away noticed overcropped shots with the saga cell. The very first shot of Project Quantum Leap is a good example. This same exact overcropping problem occurs with the Season 4 set of Knight Rider, too, and only with the opening credit sequences. Other shots during the actual epsiodes themselves actually show more picture than the original versions. In any event, Universal also screws up the framing of their shows when they convert them to DVD. Is it that hard to get that right too?! :hmm

Last edited:
QL Nut said:
Noticed another peculiar flaw with the Season 4 set... I popped in "Temptation Eyes" and right away noticed overcropped shots with the saga cell. The very first shot of Project Quantum Leap is a good example. This same exact overcropping problem occurs with the Season 4 set of Knight Rider too, and only with the opening credit sequences. Other shots during the actual epsiodes themselves actually show more picture than the original versions. In any event, Universal also screws up the framing of their shows when they convert them to DVD. Is it that hard to get that right too?! :hmm

yeah temptation eyes disappionted me too, becasue i dont like the music they replaced "I Wanna Know What Love Is" with.:x

Sam Beckett Fan said:
yeah temptation eyes disappionted me too, becasue i dont like the music they replaced "I Wanna Know What Love Is" with.:x

Well, what I do to solve that problem is play it at just the right volume on my iPod during that scene. It's not the same thing, but it at least helps to not break the illusion.

Hey, I found a flaw with the Bonus Episode on Disc 3. I noticed that the introduction music and video were way out of sync. I mean the video was way ahead of the audio. Hopefully they fix this with Season 5 release.

trekkeriii said:
Hey, I found a flaw with the Bonus Episode on Disc 3. I noticed that the introduction music and video were way out of sync. I mean the video was way ahead of the audio. Hopefully they fix this with Season 5 release.

Yeah, I've noticed that too, but thought that's how it originally aired. I only really noticed because the music isn't quite finished yet by the time the credits are done rolling.

Last edited:
QL Nut said:
Well, what I do to solve that problem is play it at just the right volume on my iPod during that scene. It's not the same thing, but it at least helps to not break the illusion.

i have actually constered trying that, i should.

anyway, i dont understand, what do these audio problems sound like, because i am not hearing any problems?

Sam Beckett Fan said:
i have actually constered trying that, i should.

anyway, i dont understand, what do these audio problems sound like, because i am not hearing any problems?

i think i may get it now, are you referring to how sometimes when a charactor is speaking they have an echo surrounding them? if so than i have heard it, but i dont see the big deal.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
i think i may get it now, are you referring to how sometimes when a charactor is speaking they have an echo surrounding them? if so than i have heard it, but i dont see the big deal.

No, the audio problems don't sound like echoes. They sound like the equivalent of playing a record at a slower speed. The result is that the audio sounds a chord lower than normal, and it's most noticeable when the theme song plays. And it basically sounds like all of the actors have a cold during these two episodes. You get used to it, but there's no reason it should be screwed up like that.

I have the season 2 from North America and I don't like the set up for it. There's no bonus material and no episode synopsis inside, there's just the names of the episodes. Although there is a listing on the set for 'bonus material' inside the package, on the DVD itself, there is none. :( To me, that's rather sad, because the packages say there is that extra material.

I have season 3 and 4 out of the UK and absolutely love them! I like how when you click on the title, it goes into the episode instead of another menu. I have watched all the season 4 episodes and they seem OK on the UK release, but I wasn't really looking for flaws when I was watching them. I also like the menus for the UK set better, the writing is a little bigger and it's easier for me to read.

Last edited:
Namaste said:
I have the season 2 from North America and I don't like the set up for it. There's no bonus material and no episode synopsis inside, there's just the names of the episodes. Although there is a listing on the set for 'bonus material' inside the package, on the DVD itself, there is none. :( To me, that's rather sad, because the packages say there is that extra material.

I have season 3 and 4 out of the UK and absolutely love them! I like how when you click on the title, it goes into the episode instead of another menu. I have watched all the season 4 episodes and they seem OK on the UK release, but I wasn't really looking for flaws when I was watching them. I also like the menus for the UK set better, the writing is a little bigger and it's easier for me to read.

If you search the threads here Namaste, you will find that you are missing more than you think with the American Season 2 - some of the original music has been substituted for poor quality 'musak' that fits neither the tempo nor mood of the original episodes. The UK season 2 was 'as originally aired'. Unfortunately, by the time they got to season 4, the Region 2 copies have downgraded to using the Region 1 Master copies, and so they too have substituted (for which read substandard) soundtracks.

The whole issue has been debated at length here at Al's - it is just a shame you weren't aware of it before you ordered. (At least you got the better season 3!)

Sadly, the Region 2 copies of seasons 2 and 3 didn't have the advertised bonus features either. I don't think any region did.

Last edited:
I'll look into getting the UK release of Season 2. I will then send the US release that I have to my friend in the US, so it won't go to waste. Thanks for the tip. When I get back from vacation, that will be the first thing I do.

Season 2

There is a bit of visual distress occuring towards the end of season 2, I think it may be mainly in Sea Bride (or 'Sea Bridge' as the back of the DVD says :hmm ) where there are horrible lines going across the screen now and again. I know that doesn't sound very technical but i've only watched it once, and can't remember exactly what the problem is apart from there being some very vsiible disruption.

M.I.A said:
There is a bit of visual distress occuring towards the end of season 2, I think it may be mainly in Sea Bride (or 'Sea Bridge' as the back of the DVD says :hmm ) where there are horrible lines going across the screen now and again. I know that doesn't sound very technical but i've only watched it once, and can't remember exactly what the problem is apart from there being some very vsiible disruption.

I did'nt have any problems with Sea Bride on my region 2 set, aside from it being called Sea Bridge as you mentioned;) ... but as it has been said before, and deserves being said again: I'm so dissapointed that Foreigners I Want To Know What Love Is has been ommitted from Temptation Eyes on region 4. What I've been wondering is by the time that they get around to Season 5, will Georgia On My Mind be ommtted from the final episode? When it was included in the Region 2 version of MIA..
Also, I think alot of the technical problems people have mentiones here might occasionally be down to individual products..

After watching "The Leap Back" off the season 4 region 1 DVD, I have one question.

Has Universal ever heard of this product?
zfal9148.jpg

I've seen less dust and loose hairs on 40 year old movies. The opening (saga cell) looked like a snowstorm.

On the R2 Season 4 set - which I have ready to watch for X-Mas!! - whilst 'checking' to see if it worked, is no-one else annoyed that it doesn't have a bonus features menu? The Great 80's Flashback and Liberation from S5 are both under Episode Select. It just looks a bit lazy to me. :(

Also noticed the same off-pitch audio problem that "Hurricane" and "Justice" suffer from on the episode "Unchained," which I had neglected to watch until now. The total amount of episodes that suffer from this off-pitch audio problem are:

Season 2 - "Jimmy"
Season 3 - "Last Dance Before An Execution"
Season 4 - "Hurricane"
Season 4 - "Justice"
Season 4 - "Unchained"

Also noticed the same off-pitch audio problem that "Hurricane" and "Justice" suffer from on the episode "Unchained," which I had neglected to watch until now. The total amount of episodes that suffer from this off-pitch audio problem are:

Season 2 - "Jimmy"
Season 3 - "Last Dance Before An Execution"
Season 4 - "Hurricane"
Season 4 - "Justice"
Season 4 - "Unchained"
Does everybody have this problem on R1 dvds ? or could it be fixed on some dvd players ?
I'm still trying to see what's best between R1 and R2 for season 4.
Thanks

Does everybody have this problem on R1 dvds ? or could it be fixed on some dvd players ?
I'm still trying to see what's best between R1 and R2 for season 4.
Thanks

With Region 1, it's NTSC, so all R1 DVDs would have that problem and I don't think the DVD players could solve that.

With Region 2 being PAL format, the audio synch is actually speeded up so it would sound like a slightly higher pitch. Although I haven't watched any R2 DVDs personally, I'd be willing to bet they don't suffer the same issues. But don't quote me.