Damaged Episode

systemcat

Project QL Intern
The other day I got season four & started in order watching the episodes.
"Hurricane" on the DVD player and computer won't play but all the others on that side of the disk will. Nothing looks wrong with the disk.

Does anyone else owning this season have the same problem with this episode or others?

The problem is that the discs Universal uses are outsourced in México and are cheap and double-sided. When you use crap materials, you get crap results. What should have never been an issue in the first place has now become an issue of taking a gamble to hope the set a fan buys works.

On my set "Leaping Of the Shrew" freezes at a certain point, and I have to play it from the end and rewind to get back to the closest point that the player can read. I think it's about a minute or two of footage that can't be read. I don't care all that much because it's an episode I don't particularly think is good.

Ok, ok, I have something to say in defense of the mexican manufacturers (not by offense, but by the cheap-*** Universal people who don't want to spend some more bucks for better quality):

I do buy the Region 1 discs before 'cause Universal took a long, long time to release the Region 4 discs. The same thing happens when I try to read the B sides of my discs in my PlayStation 2, 'cause it reads "error on reading disc". But hey, don't blame the factory, blame the people on Universal on trying to cut costs to get a quick buck on us.

Best Regards

Joe Quarterback

Only the 1st season...

QL Nut said:
The problem is that the discs Universal uses are outsourced in México and are cheap and double-sided. When you use crap materials, you get crap results.

Only the first season's discs were outsourced in Mexico. The others, from seasons 2 to 5, were outsourced in Taiwan, and if I remember correctly, the first season had the best discs, and they were actually expensive, that's why Universal decided to switch to Taiwan when they were gonna release the second season. They couldn't afford luxuries, especially because there were more episodes, but those double-sided discs didn't have anything to do with Mexico anymore, which is a shame, really. They would've had better quality, believe it or not.

Sci Fi channel does still run QL episodes but not of an evening anymore. They show an episode at seven o'clock in the morning and the same episode again at one o'clock in the afternoon. Thanks to that I've only seen two episodes and part of two other episodes out of season five.

Here in Australia Sci-fi is playing Quantum Leap on Wednesday's only at 1am. Thank goodness I have all 5 boxed sets, I hadn't noticed any damaged episodes but I also hadn't noticed that season 5 had a different theme song, so much for my powers of observation lol.

I've only managed to get my hands on season 1 of Quantum Leap and the only problem was that it used to freeze when I was watching "Camikazi Kid" but I've fixed that problem.

I hear ya'!

I had the same problem with Season 5 - actually I had the same problem 3 times, boy am I glad that Amazon has such a great return policy. After waiting a month and re-ordering, I received a copy that works.

However, Season 3 came from e-Bay and I notice I have the problem with the freeze frames...

angvav said:
In mexico, really?

Is it cheaply made there?

My god

Like I said, the discs were made in Taiwan from seasons 2 to 5. Only season one's discs were from Mexico.

On my set "Leaping Of the Shrew" freezes at a certain point, and I have to play it from the end and rewind to get back to the closest point that the player can read. I think it's about a minute or two of footage that can't be read. I don't care all that much because it's an episode I don't particularly think is good.
I've just watched "Unchained" and I have the same problem, the image freezes towards the end, I managed to see the episode but it was really annoying.

I'm not sure I should return my dvds, apparently chances are I could have the same problem with a different disc and on different episodes, and I live in France so this return policy is not gonna be simple.

I've only managed to get my hands on season 1 of Quantum Leap and the only problem was that it used to freeze when I was watching "Camikazi Kid" but I've fixed that problem.
How ? did you find a solution, or just returned your dvd ?

And maybe we could make a list of possible damaged episodes, so we won't have any bad surprises.

Last edited:
The problem is that the discs Universal uses are outsourced in México and are cheap and double-sided. When you use crap materials, you get crap results. What should have never been an issue in the first place has now become an issue of taking a gamble to hope the set a fan buys works.

Universal did the same thing with the first season release of "The Rockford Files" using cheap double sided discs that had the same problems.
After receiving complaints the rest of the series was released properly on single sided discs.
I honestly cant understand why they do this,they ask top buck for the series and then trickle the seasons out slowly at $39.99 a pop,then as if the manufacturing quality werent enough,there are errors in some of the episodes and some of the music has been replaced!
I wish the people in charge of the releases were actually fans,people who cared about presenting the show as it originally was seen.
I am glad I still have the tapes I made years ago,but would love to have the set on DVD....is the region two release presented as it originally was seen with the correct music?

....is the region two release presented as it originally was seen with the correct music?

Yes, except for season 4, episode "Temptation Eyes". The Foreigner song "I wanna know what love is" is replaced with generic music, the same as the region 1, I believe, but that's about it.

There are still some problems with the region 2 release, though. The audio is off-pitch in a lot of episodes, for example, and, if you have a flat TV screen, you'll also have some problems with the image (some things that are supposed to be straight, like, let's say, a door in the background - or anything that is composed of straight lines, really - will appear to have a very noticeable distortion). So far, those are the problems I've been having with these single-sided discs, but there may be more.

Yes, except for season 4, episode "Temptation Eyes". The Foreigner song "I wanna know what love is" is replaced with generic music, the same as the region 1, I believe, but that's about it.

There are still some problems with the region 2 release, though. The audio is off-pitch in a lot of episodes, for example, and, if you have a flat TV screen, you'll also have some problems with the image (some things that are supposed to be straight, like, let's say, a door in the background - or anything that is composed of straight lines, really - will appear to have a very noticeable distortion). So far, those are the problems I've been having with these single-sided discs, but there may be more.

Night Terror,
Thanks for helping out with the valuable info.
Sorry to learn about the "funhouse" effect when viewed on a flat screen and the re-dub on "Temptation Eyes",but I guess the region two set is still the lesser of the two evils.
I am baffled as to why Universal would allow the show to be released this way,its truly disappointing and whats worse is that since they have already released the series,they will likely never correct the mistake by re-releasing another original and uncut set.
WHAT NOZZLES!!
Why Universal? WHY?????

Sorry to learn about the "funhouse" effect when viewed on a flat screen and the re-dub on "Temptation Eyes",but I guess the region two set is still the lesser of the two evils.

I've read that the region 4 release is actually better, but I don't have solid information to confirm this. It's just like a rumor, and I don't know anyone who has purchased these sets yet.

Now, have you also experienced the so-called "funhouse" effect in the past? I ask because it's really bugging me. I've tried nearly everything to fix this problem, but with no success at all. Is there any chance that you know how to correct this? There's no episode that doesn't have these annoying distortions. I don't let them distract me from the great stories, but they still suck. I'm kind of missing my old TV, and I never thought that would happen.

I've read that the region 4 release is actually better, but I don't have solid information to confirm this. It's just like a rumor, and I don't know anyone who has purchased these sets yet.

Now, have you also experienced the so-called "funhouse" effect in the past? I ask because it's really bugging me. I've tried nearly everything to fix this problem, but with no success at all. Is there any chance that you know how to correct this? There's no episode that doesn't have these annoying distortions. I don't let them distract me from the great stories, but they still suck. I'm kind of missing my old TV, and I never thought that would happen.

Hi Night Terror,
Yes,I have.
I was told by a technician that certain flatscreens are susceptible to image distortion when viewing some Dvds.
It is allegedly caused by the Macrovision copy gaurd they encode the discs with so they cant be copied.
A friend has a Sony flatscreen that does this on some region 2 dvds.
I have heard there is a device called a "video stabilizer" that will help correct this problem.
Most US releases dont use this type of copygaurd (Macrovision) anymore, so they dont have this problem.
If you remember when Macrovision first came out in the late 80's it was problematic and would make the top of the screen bend.
That rumor about the region 4 set sounds interesting..I am tempted to take a chance and see if perhaps the legends are true!
It would have been nice if Universal could have just released the region 1 set properly so none of us would have to go though any of this,but we cant go back in time and change things....or can we? Hmmm.....

Last edited:
Hi Night Terror,
Yes,I have.
I was told by a technician that certain flatscreens are susceptible to image distortion when viewing some Dvds.
It is allegedly caused by the Macrovision copy gaurd they encode the discs with so they cant be copied.
A friend has a Sony flatscreen that does this on some region 2 dvds.
I have heard there is a device called a "video stabilizer" that will help correct this problem.
Most US releases dont use this type of copygaurd (Macrovision) anymore, so they dont have this problem.
If you remember when Macrovision first came out in the late 80's it was problematic and would make the top of the screen bend.
That rumor about the region 4 set sounds interesting..I am tempted to take a chance and see if perhaps the legends are true!
It would have been nice if Universal could have just released the region 1 set properly so none of us would have to go though any of this,but we cant go back in time and change things....or can we? Hmmm.....

Thanks for the info, Al. If I only knew what I was up against, I wouldn't have bought a TV with a flat screen. The QL DVD's aren't the only ones with this problem, either, and you were right about that. The DVD's for "Storm of the Century" and "The Green Mile", both Stephen King movies (and both R1 releases), show these distortions, too. The advantage with "The Green Mile" is that the movie is in wide-screen, and it corrects itself at the time you play it, since the distortions only appear on the upper sides of the screen, and the black bars (those little buggers people always seem to hate so much, but I love them - and now even more) save it from that. The "making of" featurette was shot in 1:33:1 (full screen), that's how I noticed the distortions. "Storm..." was also shot in 1:33:1 because it was a TV mini-series and the darn funhouse effect is there the whole time as well. As you can see, it only happens when something is shot in full screen, like QL itself, although I got many other movies with this same frame that show no issues of this sort at all. I had no idea it was because of the copyguard encoding, so thank you so much for enlightening me on that matter. The funhouse effect is pretty much new to me. I hadn't even heard of it until I decided to switch TV's. I mean, the one I got right now is actually very good, I can't deny it. It has many advantages over the old one, but the old one never gave me any surprises of this kind, which is a big letdown.

By the way, if you're gonna try the region 4 discs, please let me know how they're working for you (if the legends are true), and I may even switch regions again. Oh, man, you're right, we shouldn't even have to be doing this! It's all Universal's fault. They oversleep. They don't care and are satisfied with doing a half-assed job. What a shame.

Thanks for the info, Al. If I only knew what I was up against, I wouldn't have bought a TV with a flat screen. The QL DVD's aren't the only ones with this problem, either, and you were right about that. The DVD's for "Storm of the Century" and "The Green Mile", both Stephen King movies (and both R1 releases), show these distortions, too. The advantage with "The Green Mile" is that the movie is in wide-screen, and it corrects itself at the time you play it, since the distortions only appear on the upper sides of the screen, and the black bars (those little buggers people always seem to hate so much, but I love them - and now even more) save it from that. The "making of" featurette was shot in 1:33:1 (full screen), that's how I noticed the distortions. "Storm..." was also shot in 1:33:1 because it was a TV mini-series and the darn funhouse effect is there the whole time as well. As you can see, it only happens when something is shot in full screen, like QL itself, although I got many other movies with this same frame that show no issues of this sort at all. I had no idea it was because of the copyguard encoding, so thank you so much for enlightening me on that matter. The funhouse effect is pretty much new to me. I hadn't even heard of it until I decided to switch TV's. I mean, the one I got right now is actually very good, I can't deny it. It has many advantages over the old one, but the old one never gave me any surprises of this kind, which is a big letdown.

By the way, if you're gonna try the region 4 discs, please let me know how they're working for you (if the legends are true), and I may even switch regions again. Oh, man, you're right, we shouldn't even have to be doing this! It's all Universal's fault. They oversleep. They don't care and are satisfied with doing a half-assed job. What a shame.

No problem,glad to help out.
I also prefer the widescreen format when available,that way I get to see the whole scene.
I just got the DVD of the 1959 film "Compulsion" starring Dean Stockwell and Orson Welles,incredible movie!
I plan of getting the region 4 set of Quantum Leap soon,I let you know what the results are,I have to get a new dvd player as well...just hope there arent any suprises.
Universal should really be ashamed at the hack job release of the region 1 set.
I am sure I speak for all of us when I say I was looking forward to having the series on DVD,only to have try and pass this set off on us.

You know what I don't get?

If it's one thing I'm a little dissapointed about with QL on dvd is the fact that theres not much extra's.

There are so many video's on this site:

Scott accepting a golden globe I think?
Bloopers
Alternate endings

Why have these escaped being on dvd with the series?

Not that I mean bad with this comment of course.

:)

I realize this is an older topic but just to get my post count up, I too have encountered "broken" episodes. On my season 3 dvd it freezes up around the last five minutes of "Last Dance Before An Execution". It stays frozen for quite sometime then all of a sudden it jumps to the part where he just leaps into the guy in "Heart of a Champion" (The teaser). "Heart of a Champion" play great until the final 8 or so minutes. It also froze. It really ticked me off because those are the only broken episodes on all my discs and now I can't finish them. I feel that simply reading or having the ending told to me is not that satisfying.