Bought all US versions, feel cheated.

Prisoner416

Project QL Intern
Jul 13, 2010
So, It's been a while since I came here, so much that I lost my account info. I was either Coolgamer or Coolgamer167, no big loss either way. My problem is I own all of the US versions of the Quantum Leap series DVD sets. I remember the excitement here about the first season release. However, I'm just now learning about the music issues. I feel cheated. It took me a long time to earn the money to get those sets. I don't see how I can afford to import them again from the UK. Plus, I heard there's one or two UK sections that STILL have missing music. What are my options here? I really don't want to have to torrent iso images of the UK version but I see no other option at this point.

What are my options here then? Who here owns the UK versions? What would the price be typically for importing sets from the UK, and where would I import from? Would any members be willing to assist in finding a good deal? I couldn't find any UK isos, sadly. Hate having to rebuy the same thing when I'm currently unemployed, but I'm a collector, and OCD, so I can't stand having these less-then-perfect versions.

You would need a multi-region DVD player. And the UK versions play at a slightly different pitch/speed due to the 25fps instead of 24fps of film.

Too bad someone hasn't taken the US versions and patched in the correct audio and put the files up on BitTorrent.

You would need a multi-region DVD player. And the UK versions play at a slightly different pitch/speed due to the 25fps instead of 24fps of film.

Too bad someone hasn't taken the US versions and patched in the correct audio and put the files up on BitTorrent.

I'd be willing to download the pure Region 2 isos. I haves tools to unlock region encoding.

What am I looking at import-wise for costs to shipping to East Coast? Or would somebody who already owns the UK versions here be willing to lend a hand?

I noticed the other day that a retail store here in England called Matalan are selling season 1 at £4.99.
Curiously, they mostly sell clothes, but they have a dvd spinner by the tills.

Unfortunately Universal were cheapskates and didn't even desire to attempt to buy rights to a lot of the music. Personally I am most pissed with their removal of Foreigner's I Wanna Know What Love Is from the episode Temptation Eyes. The sound alike music it was replaced with takes away from the feeling in montage.

To my knowledge the only access there is to original airings of the episodes is to download torrents of them.

Luckily before season 4 had been officially released, in my best friend's and my anxiousness to see what happened after the Shock Theater cliffhanger, I found online and purchased a bootlegged set of the entire series (At the time I had not heard of a bootleg or at least that term so I had no idea until after placing the order). So I have the original airings of the series in addition to the official Universal releases which include all the original music. Very glad to have the original Temptation Eyes and never watch the Universal version.

My bootleg set happened to save me as well. A few years later my mom accidentally returned one of of my official season 4 discs to Netflix as the film 27 Dresses and I was ignored when I enclosed a letter with the real 27 Dresses requesting my disc back.

I bought it however several years ago, late 2005 or early 2006. So I no longer have any idea where I had found my set or if it's even still selling today.

Region 2 DVDs

Due to all the warnings, I didn't get rid of my taken from tv video recordings when I got the region 2 dvds.
I am only now getting round to a detailed comparison.
I'm playing the video on my tv and simultaneously playing the region 2 dvd on my portable player.
So far I've been through the whole of season 1 and everything is exactly as aired [in UK that is of course] - perhaps the odd half second cut around ad breaks, but nothing significant.
I've started season 2 and the first couple of episodes are okay.
I know for sure some of the later eps will be different, especially I'm pretty certain 'Georgia' will be missing from "MIA"
I'll try to remember to post the definitive difference list here once I have it.

Last I watched the Universal region 1 DVDs with my best friend I noticed songs missing from Thou Shalt Not, namely the 'Locomotion' which is obvious by teenagers performing the trademark dance that goes with it in the scene and Good Morning Peoria such as 'Yakkidy Yak' in the scene where the brick is thrown through the window and damaging the equipment thus cutting off their broadcast. There are other songs missing from the episode in scenes where Sam puts on records but I am unsure what they are.

I am just grateful that this site exists and I was able to learn about all this before I went out and bought the dvds. I would have been furious and felt cheated to own this series with that terrible elevator music playing. Especially in M.I.A. that was a very emotional scene. "Georgia On My Mind" By Ray Charles was Beths favorite song and was integral to the impact and sincerity of that scene.

Universal should be ashamed of themselves. the entertainment industry shouldn't be all about money. The original artistic integrity of the series should be given respect.

Agreed Al about the song 'Georgia On my Mind' that song is meaningful to the episode and characters it is used around, also a grave removal.

On the subject of the M.I.A episode, I recall that my bootlegged version of this episode possibly along with others that are not in my memory right now not only includes the original music but brief extra moments that were cut from the Universal region 1 release. Not having watched it in years I can not name them specifically but I do remember when once watching it I had noticed some scenes/moments that did not recognize.

Thank goodness I should still have this episode, I recently realized I am missing the entire first box in the set containing season 1 and up until Goodnight Dear Heart of season 2.

Due to all the warnings, I didn't get rid of my taken from tv video recordings when I got the region 2 dvds.
I am only now getting round to a detailed comparison.
I'm playing the video on my tv and simultaneously playing the region 2 dvd on my portable player.
So far I've been through the whole of season 1 and everything is exactly as aired [in UK that is of course] - perhaps the odd half second cut around ad breaks, but nothing significant.
I've started season 2 and the first couple of episodes are okay.
I know for sure some of the later eps will be different, especially I'm pretty certain 'Georgia' will be missing from "MIA"
I'll try to remember to post the definitive difference list here once I have it.

Just found the first change - watching 'Another Mother' and for some unfathomable reason the saga cell at the start has replaced Deborah Pratt's dulcet tones with a weird male voice!

Just found the first change - watching 'Another Mother' and for some unfathomable reason the saga cell at the start has replaced Deborah Pratt's dulcet tones with a weird male voice!

Weird indeed, my best friend and I do not like that intro. The voice just does not fit and makes no sense. Glad it was only one episode. XD

Also pretty bummed to discover that apparently what I thought I had still retained of my season 2 bootlegs are also missing, including M.I.A. :( Though somehow I did manage to keep the first disc of the season 1 set.
Unfortunately I partially remember trying to use the first box itself for something else as back then I hadn't known their continued value after buying the US Universals (heck that bootleg set taught me the word 'bootleg' XP). Still, I can't believe I actually threw it out. And what happened to those last two season 2 discs that begun the second box is beyond me.

2nd change spotted

Okay, it is tiny, but interesting.
All Americans - locker room, after Ruben and Sam are caught fighting.
The coach tells Ruben that the locker room is off limits to non-players.
Then in the tv version, he says if he catches Ruben in there again he'll "bust his ***" whereas on the dvd he'll "bust his head"
Really? They felt the need to censor '***'? :rolleyes

Interesting. I've barely ever seen this show on TV but my bootlegs are TV airings so it must use the original line.
Some stations are indeed quite ridiculous with their language censors.
ABCFamily for example, though I am unsure if they do anymore, at one time actually silenced out the word 'suck' in the Disney Freaky Friday. It's Disney, they watch their own language!

Interesting. I've barely ever seen this show on TV but my bootlegs are TV airings so it must use the original line.
Some stations are indeed quite ridiculous with their language censors.
ABCFamily for example, though I am unsure if they do anymore, at one time actually silenced out the word 'suck' in the Disney Freaky Friday. It's Disney, they watch their own language!

I lost my original QL vhs from the FIRST and 2nd AIRING during that hurricane last year. Flooded. What some folks may not know is that 2nd season reruns actually were different cuts in some respects-especially Leaping In w/o a Net and some others. Please, if someone can lend their memory to this, I would appreciate it. I would KILL for my orginal copies and if anyone knows where to obtain these from someone--email me privately at buster1033@aol.com
I am desperate for 3rd and 4th season especially. PLEASE someone help. I will pay whatever for dubbing and disks and even the work it takes to do them. No other show makes me as happy as QL has always done.

Watching streaming episodes on Netflix is the way to go. Although a handful of episodes are mysteriously absent ("Disco Inferno" even though it's on the episode list, "Mirror Image" and "Lee Harvey Oswald," to name a few), most of the episodes are there and completely intact.

Not only was the missing music an issue with the DVDs, but there were a number of strange mistakes made on the sets. Episodes like "Jimmy," "Last Dance Before An Execution," "Justice," and "Hurricane" had sound issues going on throughout the entire episodes. Also, the Season 2 opening credit sequence was used for "Play It Again, Seymour." And the Season 3 opening credit sequence was used for "Mirror Image" when it was supposed to be Season 2's.

All of those issues are nonexistent on the streaming Netflix episodes. I remember there being some debate years ago on the Season 1 DVD set as if the Season 2 introduction to "Play It Again, Seymour" was ever actually a mistake. Well, turns out it was. Not to mention that it is common sense that it could never have had that opening since it featured episodes that weren't even shot yet at the time.

QLNut said:
Not only was the missing music an issue with the DVDs, but there were a number of strange mistakes made on the sets. Episodes like "Jimmy," "Last Dance Before An Execution," "Justice," and "Hurricane" had sound issues going on throughout the entire episodes. Also, the Season 2 opening credit sequence was used for "Play It Again, Seymour." And the Season 3 opening credit sequence was used for "Mirror Image" when it was supposed to be Season 2's.

Would these sound issues by any chance include some lines here and there echoing in the background as though it were a raw portion of the recording? Because I have noticed that in episodes, the only one coming to mind right now is Temptation Eyes but I never watch the Universal DVD version as I can't stand the music that replaced 'I Wanna Know What Love Is' but I know I have heard it on the Universal DVD versions of episodes as well.
So perhaps that is not a problem specific to the DVDs.

BTW folks, just found out my Universal disc containing Season 2's last two episodes, Sea Bride and MIA is damaged and MIA freezes as Sam is getting the bra off from the hooker outfit. I noticed a chip on the disc that is probably the culprit and was wondering if it's possible to replace just the one disc as the rest of the set is fine and I'm not made of money.
Or perhaps I could just add it to my wishlist. My birthday is coming up.

3rd change

Okay, it is tiny, but interesting.
All Americans - locker room, after Ruben and Sam are caught fighting.
The coach tells Ruben that the locker room is off limits to non-players.
Then in the tv version, he says if he catches Ruben in there again he'll "bust his ***" whereas on the dvd he'll "bust his head"
Really? They felt the need to censor '***'? :rolleyes

This time it is good news - in Leap Home pt 1 the scene with Sam and Tom in the cornfield was significantly cut in the tv version, but plays in full on the dvd.

Oh, and 'Georgia' was still in MIA!!!

Would these sound issues by any chance include some lines here and there echoing in the background as though it were a raw portion of the recording? Because I have noticed that in episodes, the only one coming to mind right now is Temptation Eyes but I never watch the Universal DVD version as I can't stand the music that replaced 'I Wanna Know What Love Is' but I know I have heard it on the Universal DVD versions of episodes as well.
So perhaps that is not a problem specific to the DVDs.

Recently watched the Universal DVD version of the episode to screen cap for my new collection (and just muted the horrid replacement montage music) and the sound issue I noticed is still there.