DVD Sets with all the music?

That's actually one of my favorite things in Knights of the Morningstar and I really like that Rawn brought out this point. I would argue that not only is Sam's desire to return home unselfish, but there's an aspect to his choosing to keep leaping that is actually extremely selfish, even while it's also selfless at the same time. In the Sam Beckett character thread wakkanne made the excellent point that Sam got so involved with school and his work that he didn't go home when the family lost the farm, or when his father died, or when Katie was in an abusive marriage. Those were times when his family needed him and he wasn't there. And here he is, how many years later, leaping and even talking to Al about how much he regrets not being there those times, and still making the same mistake now of not being there in the present for his family and friends.

I love this, especially that last sentence, and thank you for quoting me. Without giving anything away, the entire subplot of my novella, Love's Young Dream, deals with this issue.

Speaking of which Mirror's Edge brilliantly uses Tom in the present day to express how even when Sam was around his family he still actually wasn't as he was up in his head working on his theories. Something Donna admitted to noticing as well (there is even a flashback where she's straight up asks him for sex while he's working late but he denies her) but knew what she married into and expressed more than once that she could never want another. Her love for him was unbreakable.

Haha! I must have been subconsciously (or maybe consciously 20 years ago) referencing the "Mirror's Edge" novel in my writing. I had totally forgotten about that, but it rings true in my book, Love's Young Dream, which I began 20 years ago and just finished last year. :)

21 years to finish a fanfiction!? That makes me sound less like an undedicated person for never finishing a fic I begin. Even if it takes me a while I do plan on finishing Go Figure. in which Sam leaps into the 1976 Olympics. The climax is decided but deals with a concept that I haven't been able to grasp so I will be needing some advice once I get far enough however it would require me to spoil it so the person will be chosen delicately.

As for the curse in 'The Episodes Thrice' (Love that reference), one part of the whole thing that I found not to be believable. That comment you reference certainly makes no sense even coming from Al. Though he does reject the scientific explanation at times however such as in Ghost Ship. Recall how Al had lost connection with Sam and it wasn't reestablished until around the end (at least I believe that was what happened, haven't watched that one yet in our recent marathon). Al acknowledges Ziggy accounting it to an electrical problem but insists it was the Bermuda triangle.
Personally I don't believe that there was a real curse on the Fuller family but it wasn't unusual for Al to have. Connecting it to Sam's DNA however really didn't make any sense.

That recording you did of the 'Tell me all the ways you love me" line, any way I can hear it!? XD

Oh my gosh, yes, the, "Daddy, tell me all the ways that you love me" line... :D I actually made a taped "radio" play with my brother back then where she says that line and then Sam says, "Abigail, I love you so much that I want to have sex with you..." I called it "Bumpkin Love". hehehehe....

ROFL. That line of Sam's is completely accurate though, since that's what actually happens anyway, it just takes place in another leap and as Will in the show itself.

And can I just mention Al's comment at the end of part 3 where he basically says, that the curse is broken because Sam and Sammy Jo share DNA... WHAT? WHAT? I mean, I know that Al is superstitious and all, but he is also a scientist. How can you even connect the two? I mean, WHAT?

Yeah, Al can be superstitious and all, but I don't know what Sam's DNA has to do with breaking a curse. The whole thing is pretty eyerolling for me.

21 years to finish a fanfiction!? That makes me sound less like an undedicated person for never finishing a fic I begin. Even if it takes me a while I do plan on finishing Go Figure. in which Sam leaps into the 1976 Olympics. The climax is decided but deals with a concept that I haven't been able to grasp so I will be needing some advice once I get far enough however it would require me to spoil it so the person will be chosen delicately.

Well, to be fair, I had so many Quantum Leap stories running through my head that I wanted to write them all at once! I put "Love's Young Dream" on pause in 1996 because I wanted to write a story to actually try to submit as an official QL novel. The story took place in 1967 with Sam was a firefighter. I did a lot of research, even interviewing several firefighters to make the story realistic. Unfortunately, I was halfway through when they stopped making the novels.

I was in college at the time and got back into another love of mine from 1993, Animaniacs and began drawing and writing fanfics for that fandom. Then I got into Xena: Warrior Princess and began writing fanfiction for that as well. Almost all of those were short stories and I finished most of them. "Love's Young Dream" was close to novel length.

When I got back into Quantum Leap last summer, I reread all my old QL fanfiction. My first attempt was complete, but godawful and will take a lot of work to bring it up to the quality of my other writing. "Love's Young Dream" was half written and actually had a lot of potential, so I decided to finish it. It took about two months to to write a completed rough draft and it has since gone through several revisions. In the end when I finished, it was 130 pages. I immediately followed up with a short story called, "Christmas with the Becketts" that I completed in only a month, actually finishing it on Christmas Eve 2012. That one I'm quite proud of. :)

Now I'm going back and writing "Remember Always", the story that came before "Love's Young Dream" as well as the story that came before THAT, "Leap to the Future", which is actually story #1. If I'm feeling particularly ambitious, I'll rewrite the story that was awful, "A Second Chance" as it's still part of the series (#2). Then I still have a few mini stories, I'm thinking about, to bridge some of the other gaps. Then there's the story that brings Sam home, which starts a whole new adventure. I'm kinda addicted to writing again, which is fun, but it does take a lot of my time. I have plenty more Quantum Leap stories to keep me busy for a long while.

The one thing that I'm conscious of as I write is that I make plenty of reference to the previous stories as the series progresses, so even if you didn't start with #1, or if you skipped around, you could still catch up with what was going on. (But starting in the beginning is more fun ;) ) I also write from the perspective of someone who has never seen the show, so that they could pick up any story and still get the gist of what was going on. It's not enough to bore the hardcore fans, but the casual reader will appreciate the descriptions.

I know what you mean about needing help and the unavoidable "spoiling the story". Luckily, I have two dedicated "editors" of my work and they don't mind being spoiled! :D

What a shame that you so narrowly missed being able to publish an official QL novel.
Though I have no idea what your writing is like I am quite sure you would have far surpassed Ashley McConnel. If not for her decent leap concepts I would not read her, even so it's a struggle to stand her writing. Her character portrayals can be off, she's inaccurate (the one who does most of the novels that have Sam's soul leaping instead of his body) and at times inconsistent. It's kind of a wonder she was published. Anyway sorry for that mini rant.

Anyway I too like to be well researched in my fanfiction, though in the case of Olympic training it's proven difficult. Hopefully I will be able to pull it together well enough to be believable. This story ("Go Figure") was actually something I began some years ago (unsure when exactly) and only consisted of the opening of the leap but I loath most of my writing from back in my previous Quantum Leap fandom days. I am nearly ten years older and a lot of my perspectives on the show have changed. You can tell by comparing the amended reviews I have recently written in some of the episode threads with the originals. In addition I had quite the crush on Scott back then. So looking back on 'Go Figure' (originally titled 'Thin Ice') the idea intrigued me but what I had written was absolute crapola! It had to be redone. So far I have gotten him to his trademark "oh boy." XP

I know exactly what you mean by having so many ideas at once. It has happened to me quite often. For example my dream the other night has gotten me interested in leaping Sam into the father of a young girl who's being sexually abused by her teacher.

So with the exception of the story you were wishing to submit as a novel, all of your fanfictions are a series? What are they about?
Thinking of Sam as a firefighter makes me think of Scott's film Blue Smoke in which he is a firefigher/arsine investigator. It's one of my favorites I highly recommend it.

What a shame that you so narrowly missed being able to publish an official QL novel.
Though I have no idea what your writing is like I am quite sure you would have far surpassed Ashley McConnel. If not for her decent leap concepts I would not read her, even so it's a struggle to stand her writing. Her character portrayals can be off, she's inaccurate (the one who does most of the novels that have Sam's soul leaping instead of his body) and at times inconsistent. It's kind of a wonder she was published. Anyway sorry for that mini rant.

Well, the only thing I can say about Ashely McConnell is that she did inspire me to attempt writing my own Quantum Leap fanfiction, and I had certainly grown as a writer because of it. Like I said, I did stick with the mental Leaping aspect, but aside from the initial story of the series, you'll quickly see that it doesn't much matter. ;)

So with the exception of the story you were wishing to submit as a novel, all of your fanfictions are a series? What are they about?
Thinking of Sam as a firefighter makes me think of Scott's film Blue Smoke in which he is a firefigher/arsine investigator. It's one of my favorites I highly recommend it.

When I was five years old my kindergarten teacher asked the class to draw a picture of what we'd like to be when we grew up. The boys all wanted to be police officers or astronauts. The girls all wanted to be teachers or nurses. I said I wanted to be a fireman. The kids laughed and a boy said, "You can't be a fireman! You're a girl!" and my teacher said, "She can be anything she wants to be." :D

So, I have always been fascinated with firefighters. They are true heroes and I always thought it would be fitting having Sam Leap into one. I liked the idea of dealing with his fear of "what if I have to actually fight a fire?" Having always wished for a full length Quantum Leap episode where Sam was a firefighter made Blue Smoke a dream come true for me. :D

Hm, perhaps I should send you few "oh boys" to give you an idea of my writing and what my stories are about...

Leap to the Future
Wednesday, April 29, 1992
By: Suzanne Smiley
Conceptualized: 10/1992, Written: ‎9/13/‎2012-

“Jonathan, you’re next.”
He was staring up at a blackboard. He looked down and realized he was seated in a small student desk, similar to ones he remembered from grade school. As his eyes came into focus and he took in his surroundings, it became clear that he was in a classroom.
“Jonathan Ramsey…”
Colorful posters and artwork lined the walls. The “Hang in There” kitten clinging to the tree branch. A “Reading is Fundamental” poster with smiling kids holding up books.
“Earth to Jonathan!”
The sound of children laughing? He looked away from the wall and realized that seated in rows of desks, identical to his, were at least twenty other kids, who looked to be about middle school age… And they were all staring at him. His focus shifted to the front of the classroom, where a young female teacher, with long blonde hair, was standing up from her desk chair, staring at him as well.
“M—me?” he asked the teacher, aiming a finger at his chest.
The teacher smirked. “I don’t have any other students in my class named Jonathan.”
The kids laughed again.
“Uhhh… I’m sorry.” He raised his eyebrows innocently. “Did you want something?”
“Yes. I want you to come up here and present your report to the class.”
He looked down at his desk and sighed, “Ohhh, boy.”
Sam Beckett always hated this part. After four years of this, he was certain that God or Fate or Time or Whatever it was that kept Leaping him around through time, definitely had a sense of humor. Why else would he always Leap in at the most inappropriate moments?
“You did complete the assignment, didn’t you, Jonathan?”
“Uhhh… umm…” Sam scrambled through the items on the desk in front of him and pulled out a green paper portfolio filled with loose-leaf paper. “Yeah! I—found it.” Sam laughed, mostly in relief, and tried to smile, holding up the portfolio to show the teacher. “It—it’s right here!” He then muttered under his breath, “I hope…”
“Well?” The teacher raised an eyebrow at him.
“Uh, right.” Sam squeezed out of his desk and reluctantly made his way to the front of the class. He was well aware that all eyes in the room where focused on him. He walked up to the teacher, looked at her, then at the desk, and carefully placed the report on top of the stack that was already there. He then turned and quickly headed back to his seat. There. Handled that one, he thought to himself.
“What are you doing?” the teacher asked.
Sam froze and clamped his eyes shut. Why can’t it ever be easy? He turned, meeting her perplexed expression. “I’m uhh…turning in my report?”
“Aren’t you going to read it first?”
The kids laughed again.
“Oh.” Sam nodded and chucked. “Right.” He sighed and returned to the teacher’s desk and retrieved his report. Sam turned to the class, opened the portfolio to the first page, and began to read. “‘Time Travel’—Time travel?” He stared at the words on the page in surprise. “I mean, ‘Time Travel. By Jonathan Ramsey.’” Sam grinned. Maybe this wasn’t going to be as bad as he thought. He turned the next page and began to read Jonathan’s handwritten scrawl.
“‘Time travel is a topic that has captured our imaginations for as long as we can remember. From H.G. Wells’ The Time Machine, to the Dr. Who television series to Back to the Future and even the Terminator movies. But those are just works of fiction. Time travel isn’t really possible…’” Sam lifted his head and smiled. “‘Or is it?’”

QUANTUM LEAP
REMEMBER ALWAYS
CHAPTER ONE
TUESDAY, JULY 2, 1985

He found himself staring at the drain of a ceramic sink. As sensation entered his body, he became aware that something tingly and minty filled his mouth. He opened his mouth and foamy toothpaste poured down his chin. “Ugh.” He spat the remaining toothpaste into the sink. It was then that he noticed the toothbrush clenched in his right hand and a bath towel wrapped around his waist. Judging by the positioning of the towel and the sound of his voice, he knew he was male this time, thank God. He slowly raised his head and caught his reflection in the bathroom mirror.
His eyes went wide. The freshly clean-shaven face was younger than he remembered, maybe by about ten or fifteen years. The brown hair was long, disheveled, and wet from a recent shower. A distinctive lock of white hair hung over his left eye. Toothpaste dripped off his chin and his jaw dropped. He was staring at his own reflection. Chills ran down his spine. He had Leaped into himself.
Sam Beckett swallowed hard and whispered, “Oh…boy…”
Sam could hardly believe his eyes—his very own brilliant green eyes. Putting the toothbrush down, he reached for a hand towel, hanging beside the sink, and wiped the toothpaste from his mouth. He stared at himself in the mirror again and laughed. He leaned in closer to his reflection, running his fingers through his damp hair, and a hand over his smooth cheeks and chin. He looked so young! Sam began grinning widely. He felt lightheaded and giddy.
There was no awkward Leap in this time. No making a fool of himself as he fumbled around strangers trying to fit in until he knew what he was there for. He was left alone, in familiar surroundings, right in front of a mirror, able to fully take in what had happened to him.
It was as if God or Fate or Time or Whatever it was that was Leaping him around was finally saying, “Surprise! Oh, and you’re welcome.” He may not be home, but this was the closest he had ever come to it and it felt good—damn good.
He opened the bathroom door and stepped out into a hallway. Across the hall from the bathroom was a small bedroom, he remembered. He slowly walked to the end of the hallway into a large room with a modest kitchen on the right and a living room on the left. Daylight coming through the sliding glass door in the living room lit the area well.
Sam wandered through the living room, with an astonished grin, looking at things that belonged to him. Books on the shelves that he had read. His old reclining easy chair positioned in front of his 15-inch color TV set. Photos on the walls of his own family members. His guitar, in its case, propped up against the wall beside the TV.
He was back in his old apartment in Albuquerque, New Mexico. That meant that he was still working at Project Star Bright, his place of employment before Quantum Leap. And that meant that it had to be somewhere during the five year period between 1984 and 1989.
Sam headed for the sliding glass door, at the far end of the living room, and pulled back the vertical blinds. Opening the door, he stepped out onto his balcony overlooking the courtyard of the apartment complex.
From the long slanted shadows formed by the low sun in the sky, he was able to determine that it was morning. And it was warm out, even at this early hour. It had to be summer. Sam leaned his arms on the railing, taking in the view, and grinned.

Wakkanne said:
Like I said, I did stick with the mental Leaping aspect, but aside from the initial story of the series, you'll quickly see that it doesn't much matter.

Yikes, that is one of the biggest reasons I don't like her though perhaps you have found a more tasteful way of portraying it.

Wakkanne said:
When I was five years old my kindergarten teacher asked the class to draw a picture of what we'd like to be when we grew up.
I had to do that assignment in the fourth grade and remember clearly how I had left it out on the coffee table where my mother thought it was junk and tossed it. I had to re-draw it in class the next day. XP
For the longest time I had wanted to be a Biologist despite barely knowing what one was aside from a scientist who studied people (no idea until my teen years that there was a marine field).

Well done on both samples, 'Remember Always' was especially intriguing. I want to know more! If you ever post it on Fanfiction.net I am so there and I am not huge on reading fanfics ;).

You are welcomed to see my 'Go Figure' "Oh Boy" if you'd like. Let me know and I shall post it.

Yikes, that is one of the biggest reasons I don't like her though perhaps you have found a more tasteful way of portraying it.

The way I see it is that it was Bellisario's own fault for not writing the Quantum Leap Writer's Bible that spelled out specifically that Sam was physically Leaping. Why else would there be so much confusion and inconsistencies in the writing throughout? Bellisario should have been overseeing quality control and making sure the writers got it right. They were so obscure about it in the beginning of the series, it's no wonder so many people thought he was Leaping into people's bodies. Even Scott thought Sam was. :)

I got into the series when it was already in season 4. Even then, Sam was making comments about "leaping into the body of a chimp". My first full episode watched was Ghost Ship. Then I started watching the show from the beginning on the USA network. I was always confused as to whether Sam was physically or mentally Leaping. I know what the intention, by the end of the series, was now, but not then. The novels gave me a bit of insight, even if it was not the correct one. I took it and made it my own... But then again, if Sam is Leaping into himself, does it really matter? ;)

Well done on both samples, 'Remember Always' was especially intriguing. I want to know more! If you ever post it on Fanfiction.net I am so there and I am not huge on reading fanfics ;).

You are welcomed to see my 'Go Figure' "Oh Boy" if you'd like. Let me know and I shall post it.

Thanks! I'll take that compliment! :D And I'd love to read your "Go Figure" 'Oh boy'!

Wakkanne said:
The way I see it is that it was Bellisario's own fault for not writing the Quantum Leap Writer's Bible that spelled out specifically that Sam was physically Leaping. Why else would there be so much confusion and inconsistencies in the writing throughout? Bellisario should have been overseeing quality control and making sure the writers got it right. They were so obscure about it in the beginning of the series, it's no wonder so many people thought he was Leaping into people's bodies. Even Scott thought Sam was.

There may not have been a specification but it becomes obvious by season 2's Blind Faith that it's his body leaping. My entire list of direct evidence is in my review of Random Measures in it's thread here.
The most significant however is Sammy Jo. She can't be Sam's daughter if he conceived her in Will's body because it would have been Will's sperm which he ejaculated not his own.

One thing I neglected to mention in my Random Measures review however is how those who have seen Sam's true self; Little Teresa in Another Mother, Tamlyn in Temptation Eyes etc. it doesn't make sense to me for even those within the rules to see him through a body as opposed to an aura.

In conclusion I full believe it is his body that is leaping. The chimp reference was Sam getting his diaper in quite a tight bunch, HA! XD

Now upon request here is:

'Go Figure'
1976 (Haven't decided on a month yet but sometime in February).
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Through his blurred vision and disorientation all he could identify for several seconds was weight in his arms, a young girl was sprawled out in midair on top of his palms wobbling with his struggled balance.
“What are you doing!?” she demanded and let out a shriek as her body slipped through his arms while his feet slipped under him and he was shoved onto his back against the cold hard ground taking her with him. He’d gotten off to some shaky starts before but this was the personification of that term.
“Since when can’t you do a hand-to-hand loop lift?!” She groaned pulling herself up. The words made no sense to him, the pain that the freezing ground send up his spine blocked his ears as she continued on. The shock that was still fading provided no interest in what a “hand-to-hand loop lift” was.
Why can’t I ever start new in a nice warm bed like everyone else?
Finally his eyes, which he hadn’t realized were squeezed shut shot open at the shout of the unfamiliar name and he was quick to accept the hand he was being offered.
This was that moment that Sam Beckett always waited for, when the first few pieces came together. In this case, two silver blades under his feet, which explained why he again could not stand steadily. In turn that also explained why his back and *** had nearly numbed on the ground where he fell, not ground, ice. He fanned his arms out at his sides in a fashion that might have looked graceful if not for his slow, careful steps and his concentrated cringed face.
“Sasha that’s not funny!” his companion revealed that she would be no source of support. In fact Sam could hear in her voice as her scold had startled him back onto his *** that she was taking offense to his attempt. Unfortunately or fortunately, it was hard to tell which was more appropriate; he wasn’t trying to amuse her.
“What is wrong with you?!” she demanded. “Why aren’t you taking this seriously?”
He couldn’t have been more serious and unsettled, within the persona of who appeared to be an ice-skating pro was a man who’d never stood on a blade his entire life.
“Oooh boy.” He sighed to low for her to hear.

Even this small portion is a work in progress. I should probably have him know how to ice skate at least fairly well since realistically it takes a while to learn the figure skating moves. So beginning with more skill would cut the needed time some. This is one of quit a few things that is difficult for me to assess.

I have the scripts for all 3 parts of Trilogy. There was SO much more that Deborah wanted to do with this--and some of it was badly cut. The end of part 1 Sam DIED.......when the ceiling fell Sam was buried under some of it, could not get up, and the last thing you read is "Al!!!!!" Sam's final scream echoes in a whirl of Quantum light .. This was shot and cut. In the script Abagail is spelled just that way. It is the way Deborah wanted it spelled in as much as Dennis himself told us the spelling of Gooshie was double o, not Gushie as it is in some stories/early stuff. I do love Triliogy and this odd obsession Sam has with Abagail and how it draws him back to this time and place 3x. There is little of 5th season I can stand, some just makes me sick. LHO for instance. Trilogy is a magic moment, it has a lot of love in it, and it was special for all who worked on it. I guess I'm seeing it from the perspective of having read the script BEFORE it was aired and falling in love with the story as written, not filmed. Scott was dear, as usual, and the kids were terrific. But that's me who thought "DearHeart" was true art and Paul Brown is really my favorite writer for the series.

How did you get a hold of the script before it was filmed? That's pretty awesome.
Your feelings on the episodes are appreciated and quite obviously very sentimental but sorry to disagree.
That first part in particular had exactly the feel of a Stephan King novel, the story was not believable and the parts of the obsession that weren't bled into him from Will made no sense (though I suppose they are never supposed to). It was even somewhat sick since he was technically her father as a child.

How could they have possibly thought to allow Sam to die!? Holy crap? Where were they going with that? How did he go from dying to leaping into Abigail's nether regions unharmed?

By the way thanks for the clarifications on the two character name spellings. Every time I write about Abigail while I keep the 'gale' spelling in the back of my mind (and kind of find it more attractive personally) it always came from my fingers as 'gail'. Unfortunately I had initially spelled Gooshi with the 'U' but then upon re-reading the novels which use the double 'oo' have recently begun to correct myself.
By the way on the subject of Gooshi, in the novel Song and Dance(which is one of my favorites, Sam is such a sweetie pie) it's revealed that his full name is Irving Gushman (or Gooshman?) and it has me wondering if that is something that has been revealed as cannon? Do you know if Mr. Wolfburg or Bellisario ever mentioned this Samnal?

There may not have been a specification but it becomes obvious by season 2's Blind Faith that it's his body leaping. My entire list of direct evidence is in my review of Random Measures in it's thread here.
The most significant however is Sammy Jo. She can't be Sam's daughter if he conceived her in Will's body because it would have been Will's sperm which he ejaculated not his own.

One thing I neglected to mention in my Random Measures review however is how those who have seen Sam's true self; Little Teresa in Another Mother, Tamlyn in Temptation Eyes etc. it doesn't make sense to me for even those within the rules to see him through a body as opposed to an aura.

In conclusion I full believe it is his body that is leaping. The chimp reference was Sam getting his diaper in quite a tight bunch, HA! XD

As we all know, Quantum Leap is a show that constantly tests our suspension of disbelief. Blind Faith was not an episode that proved to me back in 1992, when I saw it at age 14, that Sam was leaping physically. I thought they were going with the "mind's eye" theory. My logic was that in Star-Crossed, Sam tells Donna, "If you look into my eyes, you'll see another soul". And as they say, "The eyes are the windows to the soul." So if his soul was actually Leaping, maybe he really could see when he leaped into a blind man and maybe Donna really could see another soul if she looked into his eyes. At the time, that made as much sense to me as anything else.

And as I mentioned elsewhere, I didn't see "The Episodes Thrice" until at least a full year after the series had ended. That was when the USA network began airing season 5. I missed the beginning of season 5 when my family moved from PA to MD. It was on the Eastern Shore of Maryland in 1992 where we did not get NBC, even with an antenna. We moved in during the summer and to save money, we didn't get cable until the winter. I began watching season 5 starting with Promised Land. I narrowly missed seeing Trilogy, and as I said already, I kinda wish I had never seen it. So by 1994, I had already been writing my stories for two years. I wasn't about to give up then.

And as far as those who can see Sam as he really is, in Another Mother Al says that little kids "sense the truth". There is more to sensing than seeing with our eyes. Not saying that this is what they meant, but it did seem, aside from a chosen few episodes, that the writers were being intentionally vague.

Now, that being said, I am not arguing that it's *not* his body Leaping, I'm just saying that they should have made that clear from the start. If I had seen the show from the start, every episode, completely in order, I might feel the same way as you and wonder how people can be confused, but that's not how it happened for me. And I know this is technically not "cannon", but darnit, even the DVDs got it wrong. I cringe myself when reading the episode descriptions that say, "When Sam leaps into the body of so-in-so..." How is a new fan or casual viewer going to view that when they read the DVD for the first time? They're just perpetuating the misconception.

And now since my stories are part of an alternate timeline where Trilogy never happened, I'm not too worried about it. Sorry if that ticks you off, but like I said, with Sam Leaping into himself, it shouldn't affect your enjoyment of it that much. My bigger concern is that people might try to compare my series to Trilogy, when my stories were written with absolutely no knowledge of those episodes and were not inspired by them. But in its most basic sense, people might find some similarities.

Even this small portion is a work in progress. I should probably have him know how to ice skate at least fairly well since realistically it takes a while to learn the figure skating moves. So beginning with more skill would cut the needed time some. This is one of quit a few things that is difficult for me to assess.

I think that you could have Sam able to skate, but not be a skater. You could maybe make reference to how he and his brother and sister used to skate in the winter on the frozen pond near their family farm back in Indiana, but that it was the extent of his experience. Then you might add that Al once dated a figure skater and could teach Sam, some moves or something. Nice start, though! :)

Your explanation while quite interesting still doesn't clarify the concept for me. For example this:
Wakkane said:
So if his soul was actually Leaping, maybe he really could see when he leaped into a blind man

How could he be able to see with a body which contains blind eyes?
How about in Nowhere to Run, the scene where he got up and clocked the orderly. How else could he stand on legs that aren't supposed to be there?
And Sammy Jo still hasn't been answered, a soul doesn't contain genes. She can't have his genes if it weren't his body which produced her.
There is also the opening line of "Dr. Beckett stepped into the accelerator and vanished." not "...and collapsed." which is has been described in some of the novels.

Don't get me wrong I very much enjoy the way you are looking at it, it seems you have thought it out far more than McConnel who tends to write quite as inconsistently as you notice in the TV series. For example in 'The Novel' (Why the heck it doesn't have a proper title is strange to me) near the beginning she writes:
"It was Sam's arm not Bob's" while Sam is assessing his hosts crippled arm due to a minor case of childhood Polio then later contradicts herself by writing:
"Bob's body was on loan, he needed to be more careful with it." and clearly references Sam's body being in the waiting room in this and her other novels as well.

Damn, perhaps I should make a new thread to discuss Body Vs. Soul leaping. XD

Wakkanne said:
If I had seen the show from the start, every episode, completely in order, I might feel the same way as you and wonder how people can be confused...

I myself did not watch it completely in order. My first episode in fact was Double Identity, picked out by my best friend whom had insisted I watch it but hadn't felt like Genesis. Because he transitions from one host to another within the that leap it actually utterly confused the bajeebers out of me when he then leaps into Jesse Tyler in the ending teaser.

There is never really an end to the new little tidbits I come to notice while participating in a fandom. Even now. Just recently my best friend put together that John O'Malley had probably given "Ray" his big debut because he'd been so drunk that he'd seen Sam in Catch a Falling Star. Which is pretty brilliant and supported by the later episode Hurricane.

Actually most television series I get hooked into I never see for the first time from the pilot episode but come to understand concepts and notice things as I get further along.

Wakkanne said:
And now since my stories are part of an alternate timeline where Trilogy never happened, I'm not too worried about it. Sorry if that ticks you off, but like I said, with Sam Leaping into himself, it shouldn't affect your enjoyment of it that much. My bigger concern is that people might try to compare my series to Trilogy, when my stories were written with absolutely no knowledge of those episodes and were not inspired by them. But in its most basic sense, people might find some similarities.

Hmm, I am unsure what this is implying. Is your series an alternate way in which Sam produced a child in-leap? This was my first thought upon taking in your wording. I certainly am not ticked off by your refusal to acknowledge the Trilogy, why would I be?

Wakkane said:
I think that you could have Sam able to skate, but not be a skater. You could maybe make reference to how he and his brother and sister used to skate in the winter on the frozen pond near their family farm back in Indiana, but that it was the extent of his experience. Then you might add that Al once dated a figure skater and could teach Sam, some moves or something. Nice start, though!

Interestingly in the original 'Thin Ice' I did have Sam remember Tom trying to teach him to ice skate but he kept falling on his tush. You've touched exactly on a thought that had been going through my mind. I will work with this, thank you for the feedback.

How could he be able to see with a body which contains blind eyes?
How about in Nowhere to Run, the scene where he got up and clocked the orderly. How else could he stand on legs that aren't supposed to be there?
And Sammy Jo still hasn't been answered, a soul doesn't contain genes. She can't have his genes if it weren't his body which produced her.
There is also the opening line of "Dr. Beckett stepped into the accelerator and vanished." not "...and collapsed." which is has been described in some of the novels.

I am not trying to make an argument for mental verses physical Leaping, I'm not trying to prove that Sam is absolutely Leaping mentally in the show. I was simply trying to provide an explanation for why I thought what I thought back when I began writing. I did not see all the episodes that you are referencing at the time.

Don't get me wrong I very much enjoy the way you are looking at it, it seems you have thought it out far more than McConnel who tends to write quite as inconsistently as you notice in the TV series. For example in 'The Novel' (Why the heck it doesn't have a proper title is strange to me)...

I think we've all put in more thought than even Donald Bellisario gave it. ;) If he read this discussion he would probably just shake his head and tell us that we're reading too much into it. And to just enjoy it, after all, it's "not a show grounded in reality!" (a quote of his that always annoyed me). It's like he didn't mind that so much of the show was left up to interpretation until people started interpreting it in ways he had not intended and then he felt the need to prove it to us that he had always intended to Sam to be leaping physically.

Ashley McConnell's first novel did have a title, "Carny Knowledge" and it was released in the UK under that title. As I understand it, it was the decision of the publisher to release it as "The Novel" to show that it was the first.

Hmm, I am unsure what this is implying. Is your series an alternate way in which Sam produced a child in-leap? This was my first thought upon taking in your wording. I certainly am not ticked off by your refusal to acknowledge the Trilogy, why would I be?

Okay, while trying to not give too much away, my stories involve an in-leap romance. And there is a character brought onto the project to work on a way to bring Sam home. And he eventually does, but Sam did not father him. Sam does become a father figure to him, though. Having not seen Trilogy nor The Leap Back by the end of the series, I wanted to combat the ending where Sam never Leaped home and reward him, to give him a love I felt he deserved. I had already come up with one story in the fall of 1992 (Leap to the Future) and decided to write more based on those same characters.

And I was saying sorry if I tick you off for writing Sam leaping mentally. Right or wrong, like it or not, it's just something I did for all the reasons I explained and I chose to keep it. :)

Wakkanne said:
I am not trying to make an argument for mental verses physical Leaping, I'm not trying to prove that Sam is absolutely Leaping mentally in the show. I was simply trying to provide an explanation for why I thought what I thought back when I began writing. I did not see all the episodes that you are referencing at the time.

My apologies, I am just realizing how my posts on the subject seem to be somewhat shoving my viewpoint in your face. That was certainly not my intention nor was it to tell you that you are wrong. I understand what you were trying to explain now and that's totally fine.

Wakkanne said:
If he read this discussion he would probably just shake his head and tell us that we're reading too much into it. And to just enjoy it...

Ha, it's true I can dissect something to death and I bet Bellisario would most certainly shake his head at my posts in particular and ask why on earth I care so much in what form Sam is leaping. But here's the thing, how much I think into concepts of a fandom is actually how you can tell how into it I am. It may sound strange but that's just how I roll.

The scientifics of the project were not what was important to him, he even says as much in 'Another Time, Another Place' in regards to Ziggy's gender in The Leap Back contradicting the prior references. That he didn't care but offered that if fans must have an in-story explanation let it be that Sam in his swiss-cheese state forgot that Ziggy is female and Al went along with that to prevent confusion. What he meant to project with the show is a man with a huge caring heart touching people's lives and changing them for them for the better. This is what made the first four seasons of the show so reaching.

Wakkanne said:
And I was saying sorry if I tick you off for writing Sam leaping mentally. Right or wrong, like it or not, it's just something I did for all the reasons I explained and I chose to keep it.

Of course not, it's fine with me. I still read and enjoy McConnell even if she is not my favorite of the novel authors.

This:
Wakkanne said:
Okay, while trying to not give too much away, my stories involve an in-leap romance. And there is a character brought onto the project to work on a way to bring Sam home. And he eventually does, but Sam did not father him. Sam does become a father figure to him, though. Having not seen Trilogy nor The Leap Back by the end of the series, I wanted to combat the ending where Sam never Leaped home and reward him, to give him a love I felt he deserved. I had already come up with one story in the fall of 1992 (Leap to the Future) and decided to write more based on those same characters.

Sounds very intriguing and I am excited to read it.

Ha, it's true I can dissect something to death and I bet Bellisario would most certainly shake his head at my posts in particular and ask why on earth I care so much in what form Sam is leaping. But here's the thing, how much I think into concepts of a fandom is actually how you can tell how into it I am. It may sound strange but that's just how I roll.

The scientifics of the project were not what was important to him, he even says as much in 'Another Time, Another Place' in regards to Ziggy's gender in The Leap Back contradicting the prior references. That he didn't care but offered that if fans must have an in-story explanation let it be that Sam in his swiss-cheese state forgot that Ziggy is female and Al went along with that to prevent confusion. What he meant to project with the show is a man with a huge caring heart touching people's lives and changing them for them for the better. This is what made the first four seasons of the show so reaching.

There is nothing wrong with being passionate about something, especially if it's something you love. But Quantum Leap is so full of vague generalities when it comes to the "science" behind it. Sometimes we have to take a page from Bellisario's book and just enjoy it for what it is. And what it is, is exactly what you described and what I was thinking this morning before I read your reply: Quantum Leap is a wonderful character-driven story about a sweet, kindhearted man who travels in time and helps people. And that is something we can all agree on. :)

It's funny you should mention Ziggy's "gender". That's another one where I feel it's up to the fanfiction writer to decide whether Ziggy is referred to as "he" or "she". Since Bellisario didn't mind either way, I'm not going to split hairs over it either. In fact, I like to poke fun and make light of all the show's inconsistencies... For example, in my story, Leap to the Future, Sam Leaps into a twelve year old boy named Jonathan. Towards the end of the story, back at the project, Al introduces Jonathan to Ziggy. After some dialogue is exchanged, Jonathan, says, as kids will do, "I have a question... Why do you call Ziggy a he when he sounds like a girl?" Al looks at him and shrugs, "Hm, good point." The story, conceived in the fall of 1992, has a Leap date in April 1992 and is supposed to take place between seasons 4 and 5. So, if you then look at the rest of the series, Ziggy is from then on referred to as a "she". Maybe Al took Jonathan's advice? ;)

That made me think of something else... Because Bellisario liked to often change his mind like that, it would be just like him to shake things up. If there was ever a new series or a movie, he might decide, "Oh maybe Sam was Leaping mentally after all..." ;) Just saying, I wouldn't put it past him. :D

Wakkanne said:
Quantum Leap is a wonderful character-driven story about a sweet, kindhearted man who travels in time and helps people.

This is great wording, much better than my own. :D

Wakkanne said:
It's funny you should mention Ziggy's "gender". That's another one where I feel it's up to the fanfiction writer to decide whether Ziggy is referred to as "he" or "she". Since Bellisario didn't mind either way, I'm not going to split hairs over it either. In fact, I like to poke fun and make light of all the show's inconsistencies... For example, in my story, Leap to the Future, Sam Leaps into a twelve year old boy named Jonathan. Towards the end of the story, back at the project, Al introduces Jonathan to Ziggy. After some dialogue is exchanged, Jonathan, says, as kids will do, "I have a question... Why do you call Ziggy a he when he sounds like a girl?" Al looks at him and shrugs, "Hm, good point." The story, conceived in the fall of 1992, has a Leap date in April 1992 and is supposed to take place between seasons 4 and 5. So, if you then look at the rest of the series, Ziggy is from then on referred to as a "she". Maybe Al took Jonathan's advice?

The Jonathan story sounds quite interesting. So Sam leaps into the child version of the boy he becomes a father figure to? The "Oh Boy" you allowed me to read for this leap reminded me some of the official novel 'Odyssey' which is one of my favorites.

As for Ziggy's gender, and I pointed this out in Donofrio's thread there are actually two post- The Leap Back references to Ziggy as 'He', at least which I have caught. One is in Revenge of the Evil Leaper and the other I am drawing a blank on.

Wakkanne said:
That made me think of something else... Because Bellisario liked to often change his mind like that, it would be just like him to shake things up. If there was ever a new series or a movie, he might decide, "Oh maybe Sam was Leaping mentally after all..." Just saying, I wouldn't put it past him.

Nor would I, to at least begin to heavily imply it as it currently does that Sam is psychically leaping with leaps like Blind Faith, Nowhere to Run and Trilogy. I have to honestly say that the psychical leaping is much more appealing to me than the mental.

The Jonathan story sounds quite interesting. So Sam leaps into the child version of the boy he becomes a father figure to? The "Oh Boy" you allowed me to read for this leap reminded me some of the official novel 'Odyssey' which is one of my favorites.

In short, yes. Sam Beckett was Jonathan's hero ever since Sam won the Nobel Prize in physics and hit the cover of TIME magazine. So, imagine Jonathan's surprise and delight once he realizes that he and Sam have switched places in time! Odyssey did remind me a bit of Leap to the Future as well, but I came up with my story in 1992 and that book came out in 1996. :)

As for Ziggy's gender, and I pointed this out in Donofrio's thread there are actually two post- The Leap Back references to Ziggy as 'He', at least which I have caught. One is in Revenge of the Evil Leaper and the other I am drawing a blank on.

Are you saying that you noticed a few times even in season five when they referred to Ziggy as a "he"? I seem to recall that. Because all through season 4--which was all post-The Leap Back--they referred to Ziggy as a "he", up until A Leap For Lisa, where there was that confusion over Ziggy's gender when Al was temporarily replaced by St. John. Heck, even in The Leap Back they called Ziggy "he"! "Why did I have to give HIM Barbara Streisand's ego?" (which the line originally was scripted as Warren Beatty).

Nor would I, to at least begin to heavily imply it as it currently does that Sam is psychically leaping with leaps like Blind Faith, Nowhere to Run and Trilogy. I have to honestly say that the psychical leaping is much more appealing to me than the mental.

And don't forget 8 1/2 Months, a story which I still swear Deborah Pratt wrote as Sam mentally Leaping but Bellisario finally put his foot down and they just changed some of the dialogue. I can imagine him reading the first rough draft of the script or her story notes and responding with something like, "I let you get away with it in What Price Gloria? but I can't have you making Sam actually pregnant!"

The story could have been told either way and been made to be just as funny, just as I believe that both the mental and physical leaping ideas each have their own merits and can be equally compelling in their own way.

Wakkanne said:
Are you saying that you noticed a few times even in season five when they referred to Ziggy as a "he"? I seem to recall that. Because all through season 4--which was all post-The Leap Back--they referred to Ziggy as a "he", up until A Leap For Lisa, where there was that confusion over Ziggy's gender when Al was temporarily replaced by St. John. Heck, even in The Leap Back they called Ziggy "he"! "Why did I have to give HIM Barbara Streisand's ego?" (which the line originally was scripted as Warren Beatty).

I am. In fact the exchange in Revenge seems to contain both references.
"Sam we've got problems. Get this, Ziggy says there's another leaper."
"Well she's just picking up Alia."
"No HE already counted her."

There was another I caught but I've been blanking on it for days. Though it might have been in season 4 and honestly I hadn't noticed that Ziggy remained a 'He' for the entirety of the season though I did notice the line you mentioned from The Leap Back, several times in fact.

Wakkanne said:
And don't forget 8 1/2 Months, a story which I still swear Deborah Pratt wrote as Sam mentally Leaping...

That's actually the one episode in which the mental leaping would have made more sense.
There is quite some confusion concerning the context of the line near the end: "The baby has disappeared from Billy Jean's womb". Lightning McQueenie's theory is that this indicates the baby having been with Sam the entire time, that PQL had merely assumed it was in the future with the mother but I can't make sense of that nor it returning to the past before Billy Jean if it had in fact been in the future. The whereabouts of the baby during the leap needed to be better established.

I am. In fact the exchange in Revenge seems to contain both references.
"Sam we've got problems. Get this, Ziggy says there's another leaper."
"Well she's just picking up Alia."
"No HE already counted her."

YES! I DID catch that one the the last time I watched it. I had to rewind it to make sure I heard it right! Slip of the tongue on Dean's part after calling Ziggy a "he" all these years? Or was Al correcting Sam? ;)

That's actually the one episode in which the mental leaping would have made more sense.
There is quite some confusion concerning the context of the line near the end: "The baby has disappeared from Billy Jean's womb". Lightning McQueenie's theory is that this indicates the baby having been with Sam the entire time, that PQL had merely assumed it was in the future with the mother but I can't make sense of that nor it returning to the past before Billy Jean if it had in fact been in the future. The whereabouts of the baby during the leap needed to be better established.

And YES, I completely agree! That is why I swear it was written as a mental Leap originally and then they changed it. It did make it more complicated for them having to explain that Sam had not Leaped into Billie Jean's body. Why would Sam even have to confirm with Al how he was Leaping? Wouldn't Sam, of all people, know the answer to that? If it were Sam Leaping mentally, you could just be like, "Sam Leaped into a pregnant woman... Just go with it." :D

PQL should very well know by what means Sam is leaping as well since if it were truly mental they'd have a comatose body in the waiting room in between leaps (as well as when a new occupant initially arrives) as McConnel writes. Dr. Beeks if no one else would certainly notice that. Given the swiss-cheese state Sam might at times have the same confusion the audience does, for example in What Price Gloria:
"You see me as her?"
If he were certain he was mentally leaping surely that would be obvious.