Video Game Thread

ohboy

Project QL Intern
May 27, 2008
Northern California
In another thread, which I believe was the one in which we got to know each other, a lot of people said that they like video games. Well, I figured that to keep that from going off topic, plus I love talking about video games I played, I'd start a thread and see just how far it would go about video games. Yes, I'm aware about how much of a 8o I am...

I guess one of my favorite series can be guessed if you were to look at the picture on the left side of this post. Dr. Albert Wily from the Mega Man series. I love Mega Man, which is why I get a bit sore when I hear about Mega Man 9 coming out, since I don't have a Wii, and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. :\

Anyways, I guess that got the ball rolling...

I've played a lot of odds and ends video game wise. I don't have a Wii but I'm rather familiar with Play Station 2.

I used to play a lot on Super Nintendo and beat half the games they had.

I like Final Fantasy and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow. I've played Destroy All Humans 2 with a friend. We did have our own laughter fests at some of the scenes.

"Mortal Kombat" series ,"No one lives for ever" series,"NBA Live ----", "Darkened Skye" and the "Quake" series are just a few, but it've been a while since i played a video game...

I've played many Final Fantasy games, more than I would probably care to admit. I don't know if I could pick an overall favorite, but I could pick which game is best for specific guidelines (best plot, best gameplay, etc.).

Like you I don't think I could pick a favorite Final Fantasy game as I haven't played them all.

When the Super Nintendo was hooked up I played a lot of Super Mario Brothers 1, 2, and 3 as well as Yoshi's Island.

There are a ton of different games that I would find worthy to put up here but just to name a few. Definetly the Final Fantasy Series. I would have to say though my least favorite of that series was Final Fantasy X2. Granted it was nice to have an actual sequel to a Final Fantasy game but I have to admit I felt a little pathetic while playing that simply because it seemed like it was geared toward very lonely dudes living in their mom's basement who's idea of being social is World of Warcraft.
I also love the Grand Theft Auto series. Currently I am working on the 4th one. If anyone has it and would like to play online sometime my user name for it is Jaycol12.
I am a big fan of the Mario and Zelda series also. I am also currently tearing my hair out at the difficulty of Yoshi's Island for the DS. I don't think Mario type games should be that tough. I won't quit till I beat it though. Like I said earlier I could go on and on but I think I will stop there before it gets to long.

I'm one who's familiar with the Playstation 2 most of all. My sister recently got a Nintendo DS lite for her birthday which I've played on a few times but I'd rather stick with the PS2.

I like stuff like quite a fair few fighting games and fantasy ones. I quite like the Underworld game. Oh and the SSX. I don't like the most recent one when they added skis and all that crap to it.

Ah. I got the Gamecube over the Playstation 2, since it had the newest Legend of Zelda game and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It was a tough choice between those two, though (I had no desire to ever get an X-box).

I have a PS2, XBOX, Nintendo 64, Sega Megadrive and a Nintendo Wii all hooked up to my TV. I also have the Nintendo DS.

I don't play much, I'm just the world's best aunty who can cater for all her nephews.

I do like my Nintendogs on the DS, Guitar Hero on the Wii, SingStar on PS2, Donkey Kong 64 on the N64 and Toe-Jam and Earl on the megadrive. The XBOX hardly gets played except when my nephew brings his games over to play.

ohboy said:
(I had no desire to ever get an X-box).

I don't have any desire to get an X-box also. The only reason I would consider it is for the upcoming Fable 2. I really wanted to play the first Fable but didn't haven an x-box. I just waited until it came out for the p.c. Which is probably what I am going to do for Fable 2 as well.

I'm not interested in a X-Box either.

What's funny is yesterday I was playing Final Fantasy and the kitten my parents and I took in kept on jumping up to attack the screen! I don't know what it was about it but he kept on jumping up and batting at the screen.

I have a cat that likes to chase the pointer on the screen when I am on the internet in Grand Theft Auto IV. I couldn't help but laugh at him.
Anyway, back on topic anyone play the new Star Wars game yet? If so what did you think I am thinking about buying that one next.

Nope. The only Star Wars games I own are on the Super Nintendo, and are based on the first three movies (IV, V, and VI). They used to be a lot of fun, but I just can't seem to get into them. Mostly RPGs are what I play now. Currently, Breath of Fire III (on the playstation, not the remade versions).

I remember Breath of Fire. I haven't played any of those games for quite some time. I do recall I liked 3 alot. I should see if I have it and give it another round. Right now though i am playing Lego Indiana Jones and that game is a lot more fun than I initially thought it would be.

I've heard that the Lego games based off movies were fun, but I've never played those either. Of course, the most advanced systems I have for a given brand are: PlayStation (1), Game cube, and Game boy Advance. Is the Indiana Jones game based on the latest movie (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull), or an earlier one?

Final Fantasy yep! i haven't played the newer ones though.
I didn't finish 10 and 8.

But I got the really old ones from the first one.
I probably mentioned it, but 7 is still my favourite.
Followed by 9 out of those I played.

Other than that a bit of nintendo up to the wii, playstation 1 & 2.
Nintendo:
I think Mario Sunshine or mario 64 are among my favorites.
Zelda, especially ocarina of Time and I love Luigi's Mansion. There've been more, but my brain isn't awake yet. :)

I don't like most games based on movies, but if the indiana jones one is good, let me know.

:)

I guess one of my favorite series can be guessed if you were to look at the picture on the left side of this post. Dr. Albert Wily from the Mega Man series. I love Mega Man, which is why I get a bit sore when I hear about Mega Man 9 coming out, since I don't have a Wii, and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. :\

You know, I was just wondering which one is your favorite (and your least favorite, too)... I'm just talking about the first 6 games because I haven't played all the others yet.

Mine are:

Favorite - Mega Man 5. A bit underrated, in my opinion; most fans like 2 or 3 better than 5. I won't deny 2 is such a classic, and 3 a bit of an improvement (not to mention 4, although this one is kind of weak at times), but I find 5 a bit more enjoyable than all the others.

Least - Mega Man 6 (used to be number 1 just because it has no password option, but now it's no problem, I got the hang of it, although it gets a bit tiring towards the end). I don't know, I just felt like 6 was a bit rushed and the enemies were too weak - not to mention the levels themselves. It was like almost nothing happened. Like they wanted to release it in time just before the NES saw its last days as a potential product and finally said "good-bye". Enjoyable too, of course, but it's way too easy. At least for me.

Anyway, from all the other ones, which ones do you recommend? I know 7 was already for SNES, although I don't know anything about 8, 9, or even if they released one for N64, Play Station, Xbox, etc. But well, it doesn't matter how many more there are. I'd just like to know if they are worth it (if you've played them all, of course).

Meh, whatever excuse to play Mega Man again. Hehe!

By the way, I didn't know Dr. Wily's first name was Albert... Interesting.

It's funny that you think Mega Man VI is the worst in the series, because that is actually my favorite. I don't know why, but I liked how you could find Beat among all the different levels, and I liked most of the music, which was the best among the NES series. Also, I sort of liked the conclusion, and the overall feel to the game.

My least favorite game in the series was Mega Man III. To begin, the four levels after defeating the original eight robot masters was, in my opinion, long and tedious. The robots from Mega Man II that made an appearance in that game were also hard. Plus, that game had one of Dr. Wily's shortest castles, as well as the easiest bosses, most of them being hold-overs from the original Mega Man. Again, just my opinion.

Would I recommend Mega Man VII and VIII (or 7 and 8 ). My answer would depend on how big a fan you were of the series, and how much you would play the game to progress in the series. Mega Man 7 is actually a bit clunky with the controls (I thought). Basically, your jumping ability was a lot shorter, and it takes a bit longer to fully charge your Mega Buster. However, I liked the game, mostly because the difficulty was a good pace, with one major exception. Dr. Wily's final form is HARD! The game gives you a limit of four E-tanks in this game, and you will probably be using all four. My recommendation is that if you have a friend that owns the game, or you find it cheap at a video game store or eBay, to go ahead and borrow/get it. I'd play it through once, just for consistency (and the game is referenced back in Mega Man 8 ).

Mega Man 8 is a bit different. I loved Mega Man 8, and would highly recommend it. The game is wonderful, the graphics and music were the wonderful, and the levels were wonderful. This had to be one of the funnest games in the series, mostly because there is more versitility in the activities between the levels. For example, you ride in a sled in one level, and through half of another level, you are actually riding in the air, and shooting things while you move through the sky. Plus, you can buy upgrades and other such things with bolts you find in the levels. In the end, I'd play through both at least once.

I have sadly never played Mega Man 9, so I have no idea what that game is like. Oh, and yes, Dr. Wily's first name is Albert. Actually, he is supposed to be a take-off of Dr. Albert Einstein, since all vocals of Dr. Wily show that he has a German accent, and he is a genius, like Einstein.

8o Whew. I hope that I didn't talk you to sleep there, but when it comes to video games that I've played, or a series like Mega Man, I can go on. I dare you to comment about the video game series of from my new avatar. :lol

Last edited:
The Lego Indiana Jones game is really fun. It has the first 3 movies broken up into about 6 episodes/levels each and there are 3 hidden levels. The first of the hidden ones was a bit of a surprise. I don't want to spoil it so I will just say once you unlock it and realize what it is you will definatly say "wow, this is kind of cool"The best part of the game is uncovering all the secrets of the game. there are quite a bit.

Thanks for the response, ohboy. I'll try to get 7 and 8. I searched for some info on the 7th game on so many different sites, and although the webmasters keep giving their own opinions about the difficulty, they all agree with your point about Wily's final confrontation: It's REALLY HARD! So now I'm beginning to be a bit worried. I don't even know if I'll be able to get through the first Robot Master, but still... Well, at least there will be passwords, thankfully.

By the way, yeah, I'm a big fan of the series, too, but I never owned a SNES, that's why I never played 7 or 8. Still, I love playing the NES series in their chronological order, so yeah, I'm sure I'll love 7 and 8, too. And now that you mention the music, I must say that there never was a time when it let me down. It was always so creative and imaginative it was wonderful (hell, even part 2's became a classic; perhaps the most classic game in all of its details, now that I think about it). The only disappointment I had was that, in the 5th and 6th games, the music never changed in the last levels. For example, in all of Proto Man's 4 levels in part 5, it was always the same "tuhruhruh-ruh-ruh..." It changed once you got to Wily's castle, but all of the castle's levels had the same tune, too, which kind of made it a bit annoying, at least in my POV. The same thing happened in part 6 with Mr. X and Dr. Wily's castles, but I think that it had been cool if there had been a change in the music every two levels, like in the first 4 games. Still, the music was really outstanding. Something I can't deny. Probably my favorite is the one from Megaman 4. 6's was also great, especially Plant Man's, Flame Man's and Wind Man's. I just love 'em. I even get through those stages twice just to listen to them again.

Oh, don't worry, I'm not sleeping. Always a pleasure to talk about something fun like Megaman's games. Have you ever played any of the "Megaman X" titles?

Oh, don't worry, I'm not sleeping. Always a pleasure to talk about something fun like Megaman's games. Have you ever played any of the "Megaman X" titles?

I own and have beaten Mega Man X-X6. I don't own any game beyond that, though. Personally, I liked the first three, the SNES games, better than the Playstation games. I think because the first three were more like normal Mega Man games. The only real differences were E-tanks had to be filled up, you could jump kick on walls, and Dr. Wily was gone, and the robots weren't (insert noun/verb/adjective) Man.

The last three games, though, I had a harder time getting into. The difficulty fluctuated, at least in my opinion, pretty wildly. Bosses could go from being very easy, to extremly difficult (even with the right weapons). Again, I would recommend playing them through at least once, but I noticed that the games had begun to focus more on fluff (story, graphics, music) than actual gameplay as the series went on. I think the best way that I could describe it is that the first three games were made for the same fans that enjoyed the original series, and the last three were made for a more shallow, more general audience. Does that make sense?

Of course, that's a problem in a lot of series. Many games, I've noticed, are replacing gameplay with music and plot. Final Fantasy and The Legend of Zelda are becoming like that. I played the Twilight Princess, and I beat it without any help at all, which is something I've NEVER done in a puzzle-ridden series like the Legend of Zelda before. (I have to agree with Jassian's post, though, about this series that Ocerina of Time was the best game for the N64, right after Super Smash Brothers). I do love games like the one that Jaycol mentioned, though, where the incentive for replayability is high, due to finding extras.

By the way, Night Terror, do you own a Gamecube or Playstation 2? The Mega Man Anniversary Collection is out on both those systems, and contains Mega Mans 1-8, as well as two arcade Mega Man games. Pretty fun, although switching from old NES controls to Gamecube controls is a bit difficult to do at first. I believe that on those same systems, there is a game that includes the Mega Man X series, but I don't remember which system it was exactly.

What about you? Play a lot of RPGs, or action games? Or both?

ohboy said:
Does that make sense?

Yup. Thanks a lot for the info.

ohboy said:
By the way, Night Terror, do you own a Gamecube or Playstation 2? The Mega Man Anniversary Collection is out on both those systems, and contains Mega Mans 1-8, as well as two arcade Mega Man games. Pretty fun, although switching from old NES controls to Gamecube controls is a bit difficult to do at first. I believe that on those same systems, there is a game that includes the Mega Man X series, but I don't remember which system it was exactly.

Nope. I never owned one and I don't think I ever will... Well, maybe I exaggerated a little, but I know that I won't have one at least in the immediate future.

ohboy said:
What about you? Play a lot of RPGs, or action games? Or both?

Well, I only stick to the old NES games. It's the only system I ever owned, but that's okay because I never was a big video game fan, to begin with. I don't play my NES anymore, though. It went back to its old dusty box almost 10 years ago, and now it's been forgotten in the basement, but I downloaded a Nintendo emulator (FCE Ultra) to my computer and I like collecting Roms. I have all the Megaman games, the Mario Bros. series, all the originals I had when I was still playing the system itself and many others, mostly the classics (Castle Vania, Battle City, Monster Party, Totally Rad!, Ice Hockey, Blades of Steel, Ironsword 2: Wizards and Warriors, Archon, Lifeforce, etc., etc.).

Other games I play are EA's (Electronic Arts) games. Mostly the Need For Speed series and even Moto Racer, but I guess that's about it. I was never really attracted to games like "Quake II", etc. They beat me in seconds and sometimes I get a bit bored (too many camera angles, controls, tasks, etc.; not for someone like me, who is barely a fan - I guess that kind of explains why I never owned another Nintendo System: I wasn't really interested). From the NFS series, I own part 2, part 3 (Hot Pursuit), 4 (High Stakes) and 5 (Unleashed). Never played the first one or anything beyond 5. High Stakes is the one I play the most. 2 and 3 are good, too, but 5 is the only one I never really cared about. It's too annoying, and there's no Hot Pursuit mode. From all the other ones I've never played, "Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit II" (I think that's the 8th game in the series) is the only one that looks promising to me (seen many trailers already), and maybe I'll end up getting it eventually.

And well, sometimes I go to miniclip.com and play some of the action games that are listed there (Heli Attack series, Battle pong, etc.), but that's it. I guess you must be laughing at me by now. I don't have a lot of experience in this topic, but you, on the other hand, seem to be a veteran. Ah, at least we're enjoying the conversation.

Nope, I'm not laughing. I still have a well-working NES, and I've played some of the games you talked about. While I own a Gamecube, I have very few games for it, and I don't play it a lot like the older ones. The only games of interest on that are: Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess (Legend of Zelda), Paper Mario 2, and a few others that wouldn't be as interesting.

I love the old NES games. I've beaten Castlevania. I've tried to beat Ironsword 2, but the final boss was a bit too hard. And I've played/beaten Monster Party. Of course, I've played a wide range of video games. Final Fantasy and the Dragon Warrior series were very fun as well.

I'm not laughing at all. I love the older systems. The most modern I have, barring Nintendo, is Playstation, which I'm happy with. I don't feel I need to upgrade, since there are a lot of great games on the original console. I cannot stand the X-Box, but I've only played it once at a store that was selling new X-Box systems, and it was hooked up for demonstrative purposes. In my opinion, the Nintendo 64 only had five games I personally found worth playing: Super Smash Brothers, Paper Mario, The Legend of Zelda: Ocerina of Time/Majora's Mask, Super Mario 64. Of course, opinions vary on that, and you can tell that I'm slanted a lot towards certain series.

It's funny you say veteran. I've been playing video games for well over a decade, but I never thought of myself as a veteran. I'm actually just someone who doesn't mind playing and beating the same games over and over, most of those games being RPGs. What would be your favorite game on the NES, if I may ask.

The first video games console I ever got was an Atari ST, my fave games on that would probably have to be Dizzy, Chuck Rock, Crystal Caverns, Llamatron, New Zealand Stories, Megalomaniac, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, and Lemmings.
Then I got my SNES and brought most of the Mario games, Super Mario All Stars, Kart, Bro's, Yoshi's Island, I also had Street Fighter II, Donkey Kong and Worms. However my fave game (and fave game of all time) would have to be The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I had a friend who had a Sega Mega drive and I loved playing Road Rash, Sonic, and Desert Strike.
I got addicted to Pokémon Red and Gold (the only two games I ever played on my GameBoy).
Then I got my PS2. My fave games for that were Red Faction, AOE2, StarWars: BattleFront, Resident Evil: Code Veronica X and 4, and the best games ever made GTA. I haven't played GTAIV yet, I’ve never really got into third generation consoles (Wii, PS3, XBOX 360). Retro gaming’s where it’s at.

I too have a bunch of the old systems. I still have an original NES and SNES. After the SNES ran its course I switched over to the playstation. The reason for the switch was Final Fantasy 7 as the PS was the only system to have it released on. Since then I have been mainly a PS person. I had a PS2 and now a PS3 I got rid of my PS1 and PS2 cause I can play both types of games on the PS3. I also have a gamecube but with not a very big library of games. I think a total of maybe 5 or 6. I, like you ohboy, can't stand the xbox so that is not a console that will be gracing my living room anytime soon.

What would be your favorite game on the NES, if I may ask.

Sorry it took so long, man. I've been a bit busy and couldn't get on-line last week, but wow! I must say that's a toughie. I've played a lot of great games from many genres (sports, war, action, horror, spaceships, robots, classics, etc., etc.), and I almost have a favorite from each one, but, if I had to pick just one game, well, I guess it would be "Ironsword II: Wizards & Warriors". Why? Simply because it's the one that holds all my good childhood memories, and it's the one that got me hooked on the NES system, even before Mario Bros. "Archon" (have you played it? Do you like it?) would be my second favorite. The version with the better graphics, not the original one, although that one's very good, too. What about your favorite (outside the Megaman series, of course)?

By the way, do you know any racing games that are better than the NFS series? (For PC only.) If you can name any games with some "police action" involved, I'd be more than glad. I've played one titled "Midtown Madness II" (it takes place in London and San Francisco, I believe), but I didn't like it. It's really boring and the police can't bust you. They just get you off the road, but you can continue, if you want. They don't give you speed tickets (or warnings) like in Need For Speed, which is a big letdown.

I've played Iron Sword, but I could never actually finish it. I would get to the end, with those four element bosses, and they would kill me every time. Sadly, I've never played Archon.

As for racing games, I don't know of any on the PC. Actually, I don't really play games on the PC, with one exception. I own the Ultima Collect, which is Ultima I-VIII, though for some reason I can't play 7 or 8. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful there.

If I had to pick a favorite NES game, which would it be? That's a good question. I guess Dragon Warrior IV (4) would have to be my favorite game. What's funny about that game is that every year, I play the game during the week between Christmas and New Years Eve, and see if I can beat the game in one week, before the new year comes. One year, I beat the game at exactly 11:55 p.m. New Years Eve. My second favorite would have to be Super Mario Brothers III (3), because that was the game that introduced me to Nintendo, was the first game that I ever beat, and is still a fun game to play even to this day.