Forum Manners

In that case, I think that there are some people, usually enablers, who care for other people at the expense of their own health. However, I think that there are some people, such as those who were in the newspaper helping at the mission to serve Thanksgiving Dinner to the homeless, that are more helpful seasonally. That's not to say that they are bad people the rest of the year, but that they may have a good balance of what they need, and then help the masses during holidays and such.

babbling time ! :)
Yeah, in order to help others you have to make sure your're in a strong enough position to do so. It's the same in first aid or any other rescue-jobs. You strangely need to look after yourself first, even if you really want to help, because you'll be no good to the person you want to assist if you're disabling yourself. It must be really hard though, for firefighters, police people, ambulance people and so on to find the balance.

But I also met people who define themselves so much by how much they're helping others that they don't really look after themselves. Is that what you mean by enablers , Ohboy? Some are even 'bragging' with how much they sacrifice or use it to guilt trip others, even though that sacrifice was often uncalled for. And that's really sad.

Sort of. By enablers, I was thinking more of the people who help people that don't appreciate it, or help people beyond their own means. I mean more like taking care of a drunk when he should be sent to a rehabilitation center, or taking care of a child and letting him continue to live in your house when he is 30-years-old, and the child has no job and is not trying to go to school and better himself. :help

I agree. it's harder to help yourself sometimes though, because you just have too much information. Someone else can talk to you and focus on the problems at hand, if you try to make sense of yourself you may get lost in a way.
Making sense here? Sometime you just need an outsider to help out. :)

systemcat said:
Wow I really started a good subject although I'm not sure what to chime in with besides, Angvav, it's just the DVD player. I never mess with the settings on my TV, it's always been fine.

.. you could of course invite yourself over to a friend's place, they provide the player, you the dvds :D make it regular QL meetings.

jassian said:
.. you could of course invite yourself over to a friend's place, they provide the player, you the dvds :D make it regular QL meetings.

It would be a cool idea if it wasn't for the fact my close offline friends aren't geeks. The only person in my offline social circle that I know watches QL lives in Greeley and I'd prefer not to drive for two hours on bad tires.

systemcat said:
It would be a cool idea if it wasn't for the fact my close offline friends aren't geeks. The only person in my offline social circle that I know watches QL lives in Greeley and I'd prefer not to drive for two hours on bad tires.

Good point.:)
.. you could geeky-fy them...

I've been trying to gte my friends into QL for years, they're not buying it. XD

I mean, they're mostly complete and utter geeks like myself, though I'm the nerdiest of the lot (and that's been quite proven), but I can't get them to watch QL. >.< There're two who've actually seen it, but didn't think it was that great!!! D=

Aaanyway, systemcat, did you get that original matter sorted out in the end?

Indeed. I'll never give up, though!

OMG, there was one person... But she turned out to be a horrible person who bullied two of my best friends. :( Contradicting the theory that people who like Quantum Leap enjoy helping people. I guess this doesn't mean that this still isn't true, it may just be most people with the odd few weirdos.

Ziggy said:
Indeed. I'll never give up, though!

OMG, there was one person... But she turned out to be a horrible person who bullied two of my best friends. :( Contradicting the theory that people who like Quantum Leap enjoy helping people. I guess this doesn't mean that this still isn't true, it may just be most people with the odd few weirdos.

Yep, I also think there aren't really any absolutes.
Well, QL is of course not 'traditional SF' in the sense that the only clearly SF-ish thing throughout an episode is that fact that Al is a hologram talking to a computer & programmer... and that there is time travel involved... but it's really normally somewhat in the background of whatever the story is about. So just being a geek may not be quite enough *G*.

I have to agree with Jassian. I always thought that Quantum Leap is more than just a science fiction television show. For that matter, I can't really pinpoint one exact genre it would be.

You're right, of course. Wikipedia defines it as sci-fi/ drama, but it's even more than that. I'm not even gonna try fittign it into a genre. :p

*nod nod*
Especially as they consciously used different genres for different episodes at times :)