A Song for the Soul

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
A Song for the Soul
April 7, 1963

Chicago, Illinois

Sam leaps into a member of a teenage singing group...Supremes style! He is there to prevent one of the other girls in the group from signing a contract with a man who has a hidden agenda. Can Sam fix things so that she can still sing professionally and keep the relationship between her and her father alive? Great songs and great soul in this episode!

Written by: Deborah Pratt
Directed by: Michael Watkins

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
in my view there wasn't a whole lot of funny in this episode, except the beginning when Sam had no idea what he was doing and looked so stupid on stage lol.

this to me was a pretty sentimentle episode, i loved Sam tried to encourage Reverend Walters to accpet his daughter. and i loved...oh what was her name agian, Lanette, yeah, i loved her charactor, she was talented and determined, and very strong on her opinions. and she has a great singing voice, i am jealous of it, i wish i can a decent singing voice.

the only thing for me was, i am sorry Sam, but you did not look good with the bee hive hair. hehe.

An Average episode. much too mushie ending. Not a real Drama nor comedy(except the 5 first minute of the episode). I'm not even sure if there were something in between. The most disapointing part - Sam is in a singing group but you doesn't hear him sing. How could Deborah Pratt pass on this opportunity?!
And what was the deal with Scott bee hive hair?!

isz said:
The most disapointing part - Sam is in a singing group but you doesn't hear him sing. How could Deborah Pratt pass on this opportunity?!
My guess is that it wouldn't have fit into the episode. Cheree was not the lead singer, she was backup, so you wouldn't hear her. And Sam had no idea what he was doing in those first performances so he would only chime in with a random note here or there. (OT, I read somewhere that SB didn't rehearse with the two actresses for that scene so Sam would look as clumsy as possible.) In the final performance, when they had the song and the choreography down, the focus is on the main singer. Case in point: Diana Ross and the Supremes. What did the "Supremes" sound like individually? What were their names? Exactly. The focus was always on Miss D. Or Ronnie Spector, not "the Ronettes." That's the way girl groups worked. And the lead singer was the one who usually went on to solo fame. Same with the choir scene.
And what was the deal with Scott bee hive hair?!
I'm not sure if this is a serious question. Again, the style of the 60's girl group was to wear that kind of wig. Frankly, it has to do with the difficulty of keeping black women's hair straight and neat on the road. Natural styles weren't an option at this time.

Regarding the ending, I like it. True, I love that song anyway, but I thought the Reverend and the daughter were so well drawn that the ending should have been about them, as it was, with Sam in the background having set the whole thing in motion.

Yeah like Dana said Scott's charactor was not the main idea of the episode, and thus him singing does not fit in with the story like Tonic for example. It's Lenelle's singing that was important and not only because she was the lead vocal of the Dovettes but also because she was the main focus of the story and the target of Sam's leap.

Personally this episode is one of my favourites. And I LOVE Lanette's voice.

Who played her? Did she ever actually release any music?

And will she be at the con?

While this was well-written, I just didn't enjoy it very much. I think that I've watched too many movies about this time and other real-life girl groups. I did enjoy watching Sam take out the bad guys while wearing a beehive, lol.

Guess I didn't "connect" with the characters. Even my kids wandered away while the emotional drama was playing out.

Somehow while I never disliked this episode it sort of just got kept in the shadows for me but recently it's gotten my attention more and I've come to like it.
It's a relatable story with a well written and performed intensity which complimented Sam's caretaker nature right from that very first scene when he was ushering the girls down the late night streets. There's even some amusement to his urgency considering he'd completely forgotten that he's supposed to be their equal, not an authority figure.

One highlight of the episode was the choice of leapee, one of sadly few attempts to be diverse with the first and only black female. Considering all of the black male leapees there have been this was a good start to attempting to level the playing field but unfortunately they did not continue the trend.
Another was the interesting contrast between Lynelle and Paulette. The way Paulette has that head strong Queen Latifia no nonsense biatch attitude is something that really stands out to me. It would have been nice to learn a little more about Cheree to make a third comparison other than that her parents are apparently home so little that she's practically an emancipated teenager.

The story with Lynelle's mother, or at least the way she viewed it was a little awkward but given the circumstances; her young age at the time of the loss and thus probably lack of a proper explanation it makes some sense that she'd have a warped perspective which made her father the villain. Which reminds me of a conversation I had last year with blue_enigma in The Great Spontini thread concerning Al. She had suggested that since we know so little about the mother's leaving that perhaps Al could have the wrong perspective of both her and his father(by no fault of his own).

That father/daughter conflict was so very powerfully performed that it was believable as the basis of the central focus of the leap. This is one case where Sam's off track mind which saw the importance being in mending that relationship over preventing the Dovettes' performance which defied Ziggy was good decision making.

Some minor positive elements I'd like to point out is the enjoyable music, Tamara Townson's (Lynelle's) fantastic voice and one minor negative element, how the bee hive was probably one of Scott's worst looking female costume pieces! Especially paired with the sparkly pink dress at the end. XD It very closely rivals every single outfit he had to wear in Miss Deep South. Though this is probably just me, I am a dress hater (yes even though I'm a gal, so what's it to yah!?).

the ending was inconclusive. Did she sign to Decca instead of that scumbag?

Agreed. This was a problem for me as well, the only problem I had with this episode but it's a flaw that stands out quite a bit. That closure left the episode with almost a cliffhanger feeling. Where the threat which Bobby Lee posed to Lynelle's future went wasn't clarified and we needed that information as it was the central focus of the leap.
One thought crosses my mind; the gentleman whom during the performance told Bobby Lee "You're right she's a star", was that the Dekka Records guy that Sam had found? If so perhaps that was supposed to be the indicator that the Dovettes went with Dekka but it was a poor attempt. There was no clarity there at all.
If that hadn't been the Dekka guy than where was he? Did he even end up showing? There are a lot of unanswered questions there.

Obviously it's easier for Sam to move when he's in a dress :p
Is that sarcasm? I'm being serious I can't tell and that tongue face is also confusing me.
Honestly I see no difference between his fighting in a dress in pants but I must disagree about the movement in a dress but again dress hater speaking. So I need to stop right there.

Last edited:
Somehow while I never disliked this episode it sort of just got kept in the shadows for me but recently it's gotten my attention more and I've come to like it.
It's a relatable story with a well written and performed intensity which complimented Sam's caretaker nature right from that very first scene when he was ushering the girls down the late night streets. There's even some amusement to his urgency considering he'd completely forgotten that he's supposed to be their equal, not an authority figure.

One highlight of the episode was the choice of leapee, one of sadly few attempts to be diverse with the first and only black female. Considering all of the black male leapees there have been this was a good start to attempting to level the playing field but unfortunately they did not continue the trend.
Another was the interesting contrast between Lynelle and Paulette. The way Paulette has that head strong Queen Latifia no nonsense biatch attitude is something that really stands out to me. It would have been nice to learn a little more about Cheree to make a third comparison other than that her parents are apparently home so little that she's practically an emancipated teenager.

I got the impression that Cheree was the voice of reason in the group, probably why Sam leapt into her instead of Paulette..

Some minor positive elements I'd like to point out is the enjoyable music, Tamara Townson's (Lynelle's) fantastic voice and one minor negative element, how the bee hive was probably one of Scott's worst looking female costume pieces! Especially paired with the sparkly pink dress at the end. XD It very closely rivals every single outfit he had to wear in Miss Deep South. Though this is probably just me, I am a dress hater (yes even though I'm a gal, so what's it to yah!?).

I can't believe so many people hate the costume choices in this episode. Sam is SUPPOSED to look ridiculous when he leaps into a woman :p

Agreed. This was a problem for me as well, the only problem I had with this episode but it's a flaw that stands out quite a bit. That closure left the episode with almost a cliffhanger feeling. Where the threat which Bobby Lee posed to Lynelle's future went wasn't clarified and we needed that information as it was the central focus of the leap.
One thought crosses my mind; the gentleman whom during the performance told Bobby Lee "You're right she's a star", was that the Dekka Records guy that Sam had found? If so perhaps that was supposed to be the indicator that the Dovettes went with Dekka but it was a poor attempt. There was no clarity there at all.
If that hadn't been the Dekka guy than where was he? Did he even end up showing? There are a lot of unanswered questions there.

The guy from Deca Records is the guy who tells Bobby that he's right, Lynelle is gifted and he wants to work with her. I didn't have a problem with the ending being left open because of this statement, combined with Lynelle telling Bobby that she was going to win the contest for herself, not him, that she at the very least didn't sign with Bobby and had the option of signing with the Deca Records guy if she wanted to. Maybe after their reconciliation, Lynelle and her dad could have discussed her future and maybe she did even end up finishing high school and waiting until she was ready...

Is that sarcasm? I'm being serious I can't tell and that tongue face is also confusing me.
Honestly I see no difference between his fighting in a dress in pants but I must disagree about the movement in a dress but again dress hater speaking. So I need to stop right there.

A light loose-fitting dress compared to heavy tight jeans? I know what I would want to be kicking people in...

Lightning McQueenie said:
I can't believe so many people hate the costume choices in this episode. Sam is SUPPOSED to look ridiculous when he leaps into a woman :p

I warned TWICE that my opinion of the female costumes were biased because I'm a dress hater. Sorry.
Though there are female costumes he looked more ridiculous in than others. For example I thought the Another Mother outfit looked pretty decent as opposed to Samantha Stormer whom even my bestie agrees has some ridiculous hats.

The guy from Deca Records is the guy who tells Bobby that he's right, Lynelle is gifted and he wants to work with her. I didn't have a problem with the ending being left open because of this statement, combined with Lynelle telling Bobby that she was going to win the contest for herself, not him, that she at the very least didn't sign with Bobby and had the option of signing with the Deca Records guy if she wanted to. Maybe after their reconciliation, Lynelle and her dad could have discussed her future and maybe she did even end up finishing high school and waiting until she was ready...

Good move pointing out the "I'll win for myself" line, I forgot about that. That too is an indicator but you've demonstrated here that the outcome still could have gone in at least two other different directions but since they are both more ideal than Bobby Lee and either way Lynelle had reconciled with her father I suppose it didn't matter which one it was.

Come to think of it a number of episodes in season four ended without Al reading the final outcome though in the other cases it was a lot more obvious. I still think there should have been a little more clarity here.

I warned TWICE that my opinion of the female costumes were biased because I'm a dress hater. Sorry.
Though there are female costumes he looked more ridiculous in than others. For example I thought the Another Mother outfit looked pretty decent as opposed to Samantha Stormer whom even my bestie agrees has some ridiculous hats.

No problem. As a man I myself often envy women (and Scottish men) for being able to have a healthy breeze around their privates :p (sorry, had to put in that Harry Potter quote)...

Good move pointing out the "I'll win for myself" line, I forgot about that. That too is an indicator but you've demonstrated here that the outcome still could have gone in at least two other different directions but since they are both more ideal than Bobby Lee and either way Lynelle had reconciled with her father I suppose it didn't matter which one it was.

Come to think of it a number of episodes in season four ended without Al reading the final outcome though in the other cases it was a lot more obvious. I still think there should have been a little more clarity here.

I actually think it makes perfect sense that Sam doesn't always receive full confirmation of what happens to them before he leaps out. It's backing up the theory that he knows when he's not needed any more and the fact that he is leaping himself... But that's just me :)

No problem. As a man I myself often envy women (and Scottish men) for being able to have a healthy breeze around their privates :p (sorry, had to put in that Harry Potter quote)...

Hahahahahaha! XD
From one of my top favorite volumes of the Harry Potter series.

I actually think it makes perfect sense that Sam doesn't always receive full confirmation of what happens to them before he leaps out. It's backing up the theory that he knows when he's not needed any more and the fact that he is leaping himself... But that's just me

Now that's an excellent thought that perhaps Sam leaps out before the outcome is read as a statement that he doesn't need it to be. Reminds me of season 3's One Strobe Over the Line:

"Ah you'll be glad to know that everything turns out just fine."
"Oh I know."
"You do?"
"She's going home."

Though in this case it had a lot to do with Sam's own feeling of home sickness, I say it still counts as evidence to support your theory.

Hahahahahaha! XD
From one of my top favorite volumes of the Harry Potter series.

Now that's an excellent thought that perhaps Sam leaps out before the outcome is read as a statement that he doesn't need it to be. Reminds me of season 3's One Strobe Over the Line:

"Ah you'll be glad to know that everything turns out just fine."
"Oh I know."
"You do?"
"She's going home."

Though in this case it had a lot to do with Sam's own feeling of home sickness, I say it still counts as evidence to support your theory.

Would this be the first case of Sam leaping before being told what happened?

Actually now that I think about it, most of Season 1 doesn't have Al tell Sam the final outcome. But I think that a Song For the Soul is the first time that the final outcome really was left open, the rest were pretty self-explanatory...

Exactly that's what I was saying.
You're right there were a lot of leaps in season one where the outcome wasn't read. Actually it might be the whole season. It was the first season after all, they didn't even have the imagining chamber door or the committee fully developed. It was all self explanatory though, that's true.

Exactly that's what I was saying.
You're right there were a lot of leaps in season one where the outcome wasn't read. Actually it might be the whole season. It was the first season after all, they didn't even have the imagining chamber door or the committee fully developed. It was all self explanatory though, that's true.

Well we are told the outcome of Sam's first leap - that Tom and Samantha are both fine. But you're right, I can't think of any other instances where Al tells Sam the final outcome...

A so-so episode this one. It does have its moments (which we will touch on soon), but for the most part it feels pretty lacking.

First of all, I find the characters of Lynell and the Reverend to be equally uncompromising and, well...annoying. I do sympathise with them both on some level, but I can't help but feel that the dynamic between them was badly written. Every scene they share together feels repetitive.

The good things about this episode mostly revolve around Sam's position and the host he's occupying. The scene where Sam beats up the thugs is just comedy gold. Very funny stuff in all the singing segments, too.

I am, however, peeved at the abrupt ending. Al doesn't give us any info on what lies ahead for Lynell and her father or any of the other girls. It ends strongly with Lynell's song and the embrace with her father, so I get why they wanted to end it right at that moment. But I always get annoyed when we don't get a final summary from Al, as it does leave everything up in the air. Did Lynell ever achieve her dream? Who knows.

My rating. Average. Overall, the episode does have a pleasant feel to it, but I do find it lacking in many different ways.