Another QL reference on Family Guy

Suggie176

Project QL Assistant
Sep 11, 2010
Auburndale, FL
After watching this last night, I had to post it. What's really weird about this is that I very rarely catch new episodes on Sunday nights. On the March 4 episode of Family Guy, "Burning Down the Bayit," Peter and Quagmire scheme with Mort to burn down his pharmacy and claim the insurance. About halfway through the episode, they're mulling over what they did and Quagmire becomes consumed by guilt, saying, "This isn't who I am! I looked in the mirror this morning and it was like I was seeing someone I'd never met before!" Then the scene cuts away to him looking in the mirror and Scott Bakula (real, not animated) looks back with a smile and says, "Hi! Scott Bakula!"

At first, I fell on the floor laughing because it was a 2-second physical cameo by Scott Bakula on an animated series, then I laughed even harder when I realized the significance of the gag: "Oh... Mirror! I get it!!!"

That is just so subtle and brilliant, it defies description! :lol

For those of you playing at home, here is a list of all the clips from Family Guy referencing Quantum Leap that we know of...

Series 2 "If I'm Dyin', I'm Lyin'": In a cutaway scene which shows a terminally ill child living out his dream of being on Hollywood Squares, the host asks him "What is below Absolute Zero?" to which the child replies "My white blood cell count...", and Scott Bakula is the first celebrity to have a close up laughing.

Series 3 "The Kiss Seen Around the World": In a near-death experience, Meg Griffin has kissed Neil Goldman. The next day, Neil has spread that he and Meg are now a couple, to which Meg is shocked and appalled. The Imaging Chamber door opens next to Neil and Al Callavici steps out, and when asked, informs "Neil" that he hasn't leapt because Meg doesn't love Neil yet.

Series 5 "The Father, the Son and the Holy Fonz": Peter Griffin has abandoned Christianity and is trying to find a religion that fits. As a Jehovah's Witness, he goes door knocking to spread the word of the miracle of Jesus Christ. When one man asks him to explain, we find that Peter does not actually know anything and instead makes up a story about how Jesus "went from place to place, putting things right that once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home", and a cutaway scene of Jesus Quantum Leaping...

Series 8 "Road to the Multiverse": Stewie and Brian are exploring parallel universes, but are unable to get back to their own universe due to the returning device not functioning properly. Each transition to a different universe looks like the Quantum Leaping effect, and when they believe they have fixed the returning device, Stewie states that he hopes "this next leap, will be the leap home..."

Series 9 "Friends of Peter G": Death has arrived to show Peter what his life will be like if he continues drinking and what his life will be like if he stops drinking. Each transition has a Quantum Leap effect.

Series 10 "Back to the Pilot": Brian and Stewie have travelled back to 1999 in order to discover where Brian buried a tennis ball. Stewie warns Brian not to do anything that could alter the future, as it could be dangerous. Brian asks where he learnt that from, and Stewie replies "Quantum Leap". Brian's reaction is "What the HELL?! That guy changed history all the time!"

Series 10 "Burning Down the Bayit": Peter and Quagmire scheme with Mort to burn down his pharmacy and claim the insurance. About halfway through the episode, they're mulling over what they did and Quagmire becomes consumed by guilt, saying, "This isn't who I am! I looked in the mirror this morning and it was like I was seeing someone I'd never met before!" Then the scene cuts away to him looking in the mirror and Scott Bakula (real, not animated) looks back with a smile and says, "Hi! Scott Bakula!"