AOL ALERT!

D

Dman176

To any aol users, I just heard about a scam on the news last night and I thought I should bring it to your attention.

Apparently, aol users may get an e-mail from a site claiming to be aol, saying that there's a problem with the account and it needs to be updated. They'll ask for your account and credit card information. The reason this scam works apparently is because there's a link that takes you to their actual website, so that it looks legit. They said on the news to disregard any e-mail that looks like this. If there WAS a legitimate problem with an account, an ALERT message would appear on the screen and you would be directed to a hotline number to talk to an aol representative.

I don't use aol, so I don't really know what they were talking about, but most of my friends and family use it, and I figured many of you do as well. I don't want to see anybody get ripped off. Just be careful, ok?

Damon

Being on AOL, I am familiar with most of these scams. They're basically the same ones which are sent over and over again. Those who are familiar with them know how to deal with it, but those new to AOL often get suckered.

Those that compose the e-mails are very deceiving, even going through great lengths to make it sound official and identifying themselves as AOL employees (even though they actually aren't).

AOL made a change a couple of years ago, which seems to be pretty helpful. Official e-mails, coming directly from them, will have a blue envelope, as compared to regular e-mail which has a tan looking envelope.

The safest thing for AOL members to do is watch for that blue envelope within the mailbox. If you don't see it, click on Notify AOL to report them.

;-)
Stephanie