Need to speak with someone familiar with that part of L.A.

MO

Project QL Intern
Apr 13, 2008
In a tin can in the countryside
I have made reservations at a local motel here (letter A), just in case. What I would really rather do is stay at a local campground (because it's much cheaper, and I'd have more $ to spend at the con). I cannot afford to stay at the con hotel at all. :(

So what I'm asking is, is there a campground that is reasonably near the con hotel, wherein I won't have much chance of becoming a crime statistic? (It's almost pointless to lock a zippered door when your walls are made of fabric.)

This may be a ridiculous question, but I thought I might ask, anyway.

That's not very close to the convention hotel - how are you getting around?

I'll look into camping grounds for you, but I don't think you're going to find anything very close to be honest.

Have you asked around for room-mates? That might be your best bet.

I'll be traveling with my husband, so roommates will be out of the question for him. The guy at the Vagabond said it's about 25 minutes from Universal. That's not a bad drive at all, considering I drive about an hour to work each day. Plus, we'll be driving about a week and a half to get to L.A.!

Thanks for looking!

But driving in Los Angeles is different from driving almost anywhere else. Traffic is HELL! I wonder what that 25 minute estimate is based on? What time of day?

I am not trying to scare you or discourage you from using this motel. Just something you may want to think about.

I don't know what that estimate is based on. Here's what the hotel's website says:

Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios is located 8.2 miles west of our Glendale property.

That's somewhere approximating an average speed of 20 MPH, if my math is right. It may not be, though.

Whatever you do, don't get on the freeway at peak travel times. It once took fellow committee member Maryse and me 2 hours to travel about twelve miles in rush hour traffic. We were total LA traffic n00bs, and thought we'd be able to get from Universal at 4pm to our Glendale hotel in time to get to the Magic Castle in Hollywood by just after 6pm. It's a round trip of about 25 miles, so we thought we'd have no problem.

We rolled into the Magic Castle at about 8:30, completely frazzled, and got told off by our Leaper friends for having ventured on the freeway anywhere after 4pm.

It shouldn't be so bad as it's the weekend, but like Avilos says, leave early. You can always have breakfast at Bob's Big Boy (YUM!).

I looked for camping near to the convention, and there's nothing. Griffith Park only offers camping to youth groups, and there's no public camping grounds close enough to be useful to you.

As for the parking issue, we're having a committee meeting tonight, and there's a site visit coming up in a couple of days, so I'll raise your question at the meeting and submit it to the hotel questions list.