Mathematics

Lightning McQueenie said:
As a mathematician and mathematics teacher, I think I'll do well in this group :D.

And when in doubt, check wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics

Ah sorry mate, missed your post.
So did I get my formula right a few posts ago? :)
(you shouldn't have told me, now I may keep pestering you with questions 8) :D )

I'm doing nuclear physics at school at the moment! I'm thinking of doing Physics for A-Level actually...

Ziggy said:
I'm doing nuclear physics at school at the moment! I'm thinking of doing Physics for A-Level actually...

I recommend it, if you got the hang of it. The nuclear physics exam for my german A-level counterpart was the most fun part part of my entire final exams, btw :)

In a couple of years' time. I'm doing my GCSEs this year, and then I'm going into Sixth Form to do A-levels for two years.

Oh yeah? Well if Tom has five apples, and Sally asks for two apples, how many apples does Tom have?

8o Take that, smart math people. :roflmao::lol:nut Sorry, it's 10:30 at night and I've had too much caffeine today.

Which proves that dark matter does exist ! :)
And it pops up when you least expect it :p

An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first orders a beer, the second orders half a beer, the third orders one quarter of a beer and so on. The bartender responds "dummies" and sat 2 beers on the bar.

I get it, too *L* :)

but what would he have done if it had been lim x -> infinite ?
Serve almost two beers?
(what's the ascii code for infitite, the horizontal '8'? can't find it)

More Maths humor

No offense meant to anyone by this.
It was sent to me in an email a couple of years ago, and I found it amusing.
I thought some of you might too...

Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport today, an individual later discovered to be a public school teacher, was arrested trying to board a flight while in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a set square, a slide rule, and a calculator.
At a morning press conference, Attorney General John Ashcroft said he believes the man is a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement.
He did not identify the man, who has been charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of math instruction.
"Al-gebra is a fearsome cult," Ashcroft said. "They desire average solutions by means and extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in a search of absolute values.
They use secret code names like 'x' and 'y' and refer to themselves as 'unknowns', but we have determined they belong to a common denominator of the axis of medieval with coordinates in every country.
As the Greek philanderer Isosceles used to say, 'There are 3 sides to every triangle'."
When asked to comment on the arrest, George W. Bush said, "If God had wanted us to have better weapons of math instruction, He would have given us more fingers and toes."
Aides told reporters they could not recall a more intelligent or profound statement by the President.

I'm sure that someone will end up correcting me, but I think the joke is this:

Half of one is .5, and half of that is .25. Well, .5 +.25 is .75, and that doesn't equal one. If .25 was divided in half again, and that was .125 (I think), then .75 and .125 would be .875. If we kept cleaving the number in half from .125, and we kept adding it to .875, we would never theoretically reach two, if you kept going out far enough in the decimals to avoid rounding to 1. The joke here is that the mathematicians kept order small amounts of beer, when the bartender knew that they were really going to just get a second beer. Did I explain that well?

Yes, that's pretty much right ohboy :)

But, if instead they'd asked for 1 beer, then 1/2, then 1/3, then 1/4, etc, the bartender would not be able to keep up, because this sum surprisingly tends to infinity :)

It would be easier if you'd get to look at a graph (at least for me, I'm very visual)
and you'd see how it behaves, in the joke you will see that the more orders there are
to closer the total order will come to 2. So if it was possible to get an infinite amount of orders following that rule you'd have exactly 2.

How am I doing for explaning ? :)

Ok Ok I admit it, I love explaining! :)
try to stop me! Ha! Try, I say!