Future DVD Releases... original music?

The_P_Man

Project QL Intern
Jul 27, 2005
[Mods: This thread is different from other QL DVD music posts, so please don't delete :) If you must, you must.]

If future releases of Quantum Leap on DVD are made, (once the current ones are old and get out-dated), do you think it's possible for Universal to put the original television released music in the episodes that we did not receive with these current DVD sets?

I have season one and two as of current on DVD, but have not purchased season three because I know the episodes are probably butchered in some fashion with the music. It is really disappointing, I have numerous of first-aired releases of Quantum Leap recorded on VHS from back in the day and it's great to here the original music that was put in.

I just hope some day we can buy DVD episodes as they were ORIGINALLY recorded. :)

The_P_Man

I think the only hope we have is when the next format after DVD comes along (because you know it'll just be a matter of time before we see DVD format become outdated). I know Sony is hoping Blu-Ray technology will catch on with the PlayStation 3 next year (that's the format it will be using for its games).

Hopefully by the time the next format becomes viable, the music and movie industries will finally come to some agreement on this issue, because it really isn't fair to the fans like us. Once that new format becomes the standard (whatever it may be), I'm betting we'll see all of the TV series box sets get re-released in that new format (like how we've seen old vinyl albums and VHS movies get re-released on CD and DVD).

Plus, they'll be able to fit more episodes/data on each disc, even though technology keeps making the discs smaller and smaller... I wouldn't be surprised if by the time I turn 50 or 60, the entire QL series will probably be on one small disc that you can buy (or more likely download for a fee and burn onto a disc yourself; everything seems to be heading in that direction).

With the next generation of DVDs, I'm sure all movie studios and record companies will work out new contracts and establish new sets of rules so that this ridiculous issue does not remain an issue. Until that time, I don't see these nozzles coming to terms. Quite simply, as long as there's a buck to be made, there's always hope. I've been trying to start downloading episodes and eventually I'm hoping to scan my Universal DVDs and swap their picture with the downloaded audio.

After checking out "Last Dance Before An Execution" last night and hearing the entire audio for the episode screwed up (just like Season 2's "Jimmy"), I'm extremely fed up. There's just no excuse to make a mistake like that, especially since it has nothing to do with purchasing music. I've never actually downloaded an entire movie or episode before and I'm having trouble getting the files to download and play for whatever reason. If anyone happens to have complete uncut episodes downloaded, would you be willing to share? I'm just completely fed up with the situation and want to get around it once and for all. I feel that since it bothers me so much, it's either I take matters into my own hands or just get so used to the butchered episodes that I forget the original experience I had watching them the first time. [End rant.]

Was the audio on the DVD realease of "Last Dance..." screwed up? I'm still boycotting season 2 because of "Georgia" not being on there, but now regular audio? Are my days of watching early QL episodes over?

youngestqlfan said:
Was the audio on the DVD realease of "Last Dance..." screwed up? I'm still boycotting season 2 because of "Georgia" not being on there, but now regular audio? Are my days of watching early QL episodes over?

Imagine hearing a tape cassette playing at a slightly slower speed than it's supposed to. The example I've used in the past is a vinyl 33 1/3 album being played at 32 RPMs. The "pitch" is slightly off, just enough to realize that it doesn't sound quite right. It's most noticeable in the opening credits.

This problem occurs in "Jimmy" on the Season 2 set and in "Last Dance Before an Execution" on the Season 3 set (which, of course, are both two of the best episodes in the series). There's simply no excuse for such a stupid technical mistake like that on a professionally-made DVD set...and it happened TWICE!

But Universal gets away with it because most of the "casual" fans out there don't care about quality.

Dman176 said:
This problem occurs in "Jimmy" on the Season 2 set and in "Last Dance Before an Execution" on the Season 3 set (which, of course, are both two of the best episodes in the series).

Not only are they two of the best episodes in the series, but they both don't happen to have songs removed because there were no songs in those episodes originally. (At least I'm pretty sure off the top of my head there was no music in "Last Dance Before An Execution," but I could be wrong about that.) So it's not like those episodes were already butchered anyway, but now since they screwed the audio up, they are! And I took a small amount of comfort in the fact that I could AT LEAST watch a couple of episodes per season without removed music, but now I have two less options. :realmad

Last edited:
QL Nut said:
I've never actually downloaded an entire movie or episode before and I'm having trouble getting the files to download and play for whatever reason. If anyone happens to have complete uncut episodes downloaded, would you be willing to share?

Hey, I actually do have most episodes downloaded... The only thing is I'm still trying to get replacements for some episodes that keep glitching, and am also trying to get only versions from Space because a few are Sci-Fi, and those are syndicut (which Space's episodes are NOT, thank god...)

If you manage to help me get those last few remaining eps, I'll be able to make a compilation which I can share with anyone here who would be willing to do so.

I haven't even looked at any eps from Season 2 because it's more than I can handle... those poor episodes butchered... *sigh*

Anyways, I hope what I can offer helps!

Clara