Dreams

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Dreams
February 28, 1979

Los Angeles, California

In a very strange and creepy episode, Sam finds himself in the life of a homicide detective investigating a horrible murder involving the removal of the victim's heart. He begins to have flashbacks he can't understand, and once he meets the victim's psychiatrist, he drifts into a dark place to find the meaning behind the visions.

Written by: Deborah Pratt
Directed by: Anita Addison

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got to see this episode today! Very creepy; the way Sam seemed so out of it was disturbing.

And what's the deal with the 'red leap' at the end of the saga sell?

I find this to be a Creepy episode, but after giving it a second chance, it has become one of my favorites. This has to be one of the more dramatic desplays of Sam merging minds with his host. I remember when first viewing this episode, i was very confused about Sam's visions involving the little boy in the dark hallway and the image of himself dead and covered in blood. i kept trying to figure out who the little boy was, and where the hallway was located. it was clear to me that Sam was afriad of dying becasue Al had informed him that Jack Stone, his host was killed by the husband of a murdered woman in the orginal history. but i still had trouble making the connection with the little boy, even when Sam was expressing an guess that he was possibly expierencing a part of Stone's mind that he believed was stuck in him.
Another thing that confused me was the suggested murders of the woman thoughout the episode. at first it was expressed that it was the husband which i wholeheartidly agreed with, but then i was baffled and creeped out when the senarios turned to Stone as the killer, and i refused to believe that for more than just because he was Sam's host. The only factor that did not have me fooled for a single second was the behavior of the psychologist, and the expressions and tones calmess he desplayed.
This episode held my full attention the whole way through, and i found it so interesting, with the twist and turns in the mystery. i also wished i could give Sam a hug, i felt so bad seeing him so afriad of these dreams and of dying. i believe the only other episode in which he is this afriad was Episode # 52, Shock Theatre. and Also in Episode # 47, Glitter Rock, another instance where Sam's host was fated to die, however he did not desplay as much fear of it as he did in this epsiode. this is probably becasue he saw the image of himself dead in his dreams and that's enough to scare anybody.
I am also noticing just now that this is one of very few episodes that desplay little to no humor at all, but i found this to be an overall dramatic and well done storyline. one thing i liked the most was that like Episode # 52 Shock Theater, this was an episode that desplayed Scott Bakula's wonderful acting skills, and talent for using all kinds of different voices. all the acting in this episode was superb, and the story was simply mind boggling. i have to say that this episode is one of the best.

I found this to be a creepy episode also. It took me a while to get my head around it, but I got there. This episode was a very interesting episode, and after watching it a second time, it made its way into my favorites. I too do not know who the little boy in the hallway in Sam's visions was. It was stated that he was nine, so my guess is that it was the leapee, because he could not identify the word on the lab door, and Sam could probably read that word when he was two to four+. I've forgotten what the lab was, so I'll have to watch the episode again to jog my memory.

Very Creepy episode,but the story,just didn't manage to hmmm...grab me. The acting was quite good,especially the actor,who played the Shrink,but...I didn't like the part of Scott speaking in "a little boy voice".It was too hmmm....Artificial for me. And another thing i didn't like in this episode is that it seems Deborah Pratt stretched the script a bit too much,and that she tryed too much to make the viewrs scared form what's going on the screen and it made most of the creepy parts of this episode seems too artificial to me.
I Don't think this episode would get into my top 50 of QL.

Last edited:
one thing i liked the most was that like Episode # 52 Shock Theater, this was an episode that desplayed Scott Bakula's wonderful acting skills, and talent for using all kinds of different voices. all the acting in this episode was superb, and the story was simply mind boggling.
Not surprisingly, Shock Theatre and Dreams were two of the four episodes for which SB was nominated for an Emmy.

bluedana said:
Not surprisingly, Shock Theatre and Dreams were two of the four episodes for which SB was nominated for an Emmy.
And he should have gotten them because sorry isz but this comment:
isz said:
I didn't like the part of Scott speaking in "a little boy voice".It was too hmmm....Artificial for me.
Shocked me, I thought he was amazing as Young Jack and Shock Theater was one of his best episodes. He should have gotten both Emmys.

Last edited:
this was another one of thoes eppys were I could not understand why Sam could remember "The Leap Back" and Al could not?:banghead Although they both remembered leaping together in "Lee Harvey Oswald".

margarita_salt said:
this was another one of thoes eppys were I could not understand why Sam could remember "The Leap Back" and Al could not?:banghead Although they both remembered leaping together in "Lee Harvey Oswald".
Well Al is just sitting at home, he can't get Swiss Cheesed like Sam. So my theory on this is that Al lied as to not encourage Sam to remember it in more detail because he promised Donna that he would not allow Sam the memory of her. Plus he(Al) was not liking what he was hearing as Sam was trying to convince him that he was mind merged with Jack. So he did not want to encourage those thoughts either.

But the only problem with this theory is that in this case why Al then brings it up himself in LHO makes no sense.

Yeah I enjoyed this one, it was creepy and eery and it left you with a few questions to ponder over. The shrink was wa-ha-haaaa evil (loved that) and I loved seeing Scott in that 'what the hells going on' frame of mind.

It was great having an ep that gave you the heebee jeebees!!

"Dreams" creeps me out every time I see the episode. I keep forgetting the story line for some reason, and expecting the devil or an evil leaper to pop out at any moment.

So what did the shrink do with the woman's heart?

One question, though: When did Sam deduce Dr. Crane (Craine? Crain?) was the murderer? When Dr. Crane and Sam (Jack) went back to the grisly scene of the crime, Sam responded to something Crane said by, "And that's why you killed her." Now, Jack Stone was a very good detective, and Sam wasn't so bad himself (even though technically he was a doctor, and his "Swiss cheese" memory along with Jack's thoughts permeating his mind kept him, shall we say, "off balance" throughout the episode). However, when did he figure it out? He was so distracted by Jack's memories of his (Jack's) mother's autopsy that it was sort of surprising when he said the quote I mentioned earlier. Maybe I missed something. Sorry if I did; I may have to watch the ep again.

I loved this episode the first time through and it doesn't lose its potency on repeated viewings. It's one of the most gripping and disturbing television episodes I've watched, not just in this series, and so well done. Suspenseful, chilling. As great as Shock Theater is I actually like this one much better. Even though Sam is losing it in both episodes in this one he's really aware the whole time of something happening to him - that to me is far more terrifying.

Last edited:
Sorry, but the part where Sam is talking in the little boy voice totally cracked me up. He sounded like Stuart in the Mad TV skits. Not meaning to knock Bakula's acting - he's generally wonderful and totally should have won the Emmy for Shock Theater, but this one made me laugh, I couldn't help it.

The black and white dreams and flashbacks were very well done, but my main problem with this episode was that I knew the psychologist was the killer, like, the minute he appeared on screen. It should have been obvious to Sam, too, when he started blabbing confidential information about another patient.

Also, the leap-out at the end is far too abrupt. Again, we're missing the crucial exposition from Al and never find out what happens to Jack Stone, Peter Decaro and the two children. This is especially problematic, because if Stone leaps back home when Sam leaps out, he's going to have a tough time explaining to the police what just happened since he won't remember the past 48 hours! Maybe Stone got arrested for the two murders instead of getting killed himself! Hopefully Decaro and the kids backed up his story.

Fantastically performed episode with so many twists and turns in the information that it makes your head spin (in a good way, pea soup not included hehe); the only direction never pointed towards is the right one.
Sam, so crippled by fear that other than introducing himself by the leapee's name he doesn't bother to try to play the role; something we don't typically see and was an intense and beautifully written introduction to the mind-merging concept. It was difficult to tell who was more afraid the leapee or Sam of having the leapee's memory.

iMonrey said:
It should have been obvious to Sam, too...
Wrong, the reason being in the paragraph above. He may have felt and somewhat seemed focused but he very much wasn't.
The mind merge had him mentally and in some instances psychically paralyzed with fear. He was very out of it the entire leap. Probably why it was easy for him to be hypnotized, and without realizing it at that.

A gripping and if I may say a somewhat, with the heart, poetically sickening mystery. The character of Crane was just brilliant the way he seemed like the character with the most logic but in fact was a clever oxymoron; a mentally unhinged psychiatrist. Who brought with him the fascinating concept of hypnosis/intentional mind-merge which is a shame isn't explored more in the series.
Perhaps the "little boy" voice was not one of Scott's best performances though you have to be reasonable with your expectations here considering he was a man in his 40's. There's a reason it's usually woman who perform little boy voices in cartoons. My beef with it was that due to the high pitch paired with his use of the words 'grown-ups' and 'mommy' it wasn't a believable performance of a nine/ten year old but rather more like a five year old. It's possible Scott got a little lost in it and went in too deep.
This is actually one of the unusual instances where I would have liked to see a scene or two of the project, they're trouble locking on to him during this occurrence due to the leapee's memories being in full control.

One thing I gotta ask, is it bad that Al's reaction to the body in the beginning actually cracks me up, like every time?! >_<

Now I hope no one minds me revisiting something I've already addressed for a moment. Six years ago I offered my head canon regarding the stand out detail of Al not remembering the simo-leap (The Leap Back). For once I stand by my original opinion. All long time fans know it's impossible for him not to remember since he does not swiss cheese nor suffer from dementia and we know he does because of a circumstantial blurt in Permanent Wave ("Is that piece of me still in you!?").
He lied in this situation to discourage Sam from going down that memory lane which could have potentially lead to Donna. In addition he didn't seem interested in discussing the mind merge theory so perhaps he thought he could nip that in the bud.
(It seems I mentioned those years ago that he then brings it up in LHO. Well I no longer remember that occurrence and have come to dismiss the logic in season 5 since at that point all the rules were trashed).

Overall, a well done dark story.

Tidbits:
1.) When Al says "Peter isn't the killer, you are!" if you watch closely his lips seem to be saying "Jack is." Apparently the decision to change that was somewhat last minute since it occurred after the episode was filmed. I can see the more direct reference being more powerful though inaccurate since Sam didn't kill anyone...not until Crane anyway.
2.) Early on Al mentions that Jack Stone's mother died when he was 10. In the final scene where Crane hypnotizes Sam into that little boy, he asks "How old are you?" and Sam answers "9. I'm 9 years old." Oops.

Fantastically performed episode with so many twists and turns in the information that it makes your head spin (in a good way, pea soup not included hehe); the only direction never pointed towards is the right one.

Sam, so crippled by fear that other than introducing himself by the leapee's name he doesn't bother to try to play the role; something we don't typically see and was an intense and beautifully written introduction to the mind-merging concept. It was difficult to tell who was more afraid the leapee or Sam of having the leapee's memory.

Wrong, the reason being in the paragraph above. He may have felt and somewhat seemed focused but he very much wasn't.
The mind merge had him mentally and in some instances psychically paralyzed with fear. He was very out of it the entire leap. Probably why it was easy for him to be hypnotized, and without realizing it at that.

I'm on the same page as you with this one. This is one of the most gripping suspense episodes in the series. I like this one better than 'Shock Theater' actually, though I'm probably in the minority on that. I think this may have been one of the first episodes I saw, as I didn't get to watch the series in order at first. This one definitely drew me more into the series. Scott turned in a terrific performance. I know a lot of people don't like the little boy voice he uses at the end and I can see why, but it never really bothered me.

Now I hope no one minds me revisiting something I've already addressed for a moment. Six years ago I offered my head canon regarding the stand out detail of Al not remembering the simo-leap (The Leap Back). For once I stand by my original opinion. All long time fans know it's impossible for him not to remember since he does not swiss cheese nor suffer from dementia and we know he does because of a circumstantial blurt in Permanent Wave ("Is that piece of me still in you!?").

He lied in this situation to discourage Sam from going down that memory lane which could have potentially lead to Donna. In addition he didn't seem interested in discussing the mind merge theory so perhaps he thought he could nip that in the bud.

Yes, I too am convinced that Al does remember the simo-leap and is pretending he doesn't for a couple of reasons. A big reason is Donna, as you've pointed out [and I still think the keeping knowledge of Donna from Sam thing is crap but I digress]. But being as that's what they did, yeah, if Sam remembers the simo-leap he could remember everything, including going home for a while and being with her.

Another more general reason is that Sam is freaking out as it is. I think that there are many times that Al lies to Sam or withholds information from him in order to not further upset him.

blue enigma said:
I'm on the same page as you with this one. This is one of the most gripping suspense episodes in the series. I like this one better than 'Shock Theater' actually, though I'm probably in the minority on that. I think this may have been one of the first episodes I saw, as I didn't get to watch the series in order at first. This one definitely drew me more into the series. Scott turned in a terrific performance. I know a lot of people don't like the little boy voice he uses at the end and I can see why, but it never really bothered me.

Agreed, despite my issue with it, the little boy voice doesn't bother me either and still is considering Scott's age a very good performance.
Though I will have to disagree as you predicted that this is the better episode in comparison to Shock Theater. That was the most amazing story of the series and a flawless, amazing performance.

blue enigma said:
Another more general reason is that Sam is freaking out as it is. I think that there are many times that Al lies to Sam or withholds information from him in order to not further upset him.

True that he probably wouldn't want Sam reminded that he was home as that could be upsetting with or without Donna. And in this episode as you said he was quite enough upset already.

Though I will have to disagree as you predicted that this is the better episode in comparison to Shock Theater. That was the most amazing story of the series and a flawless, amazing performance.

Scott was great in 'Shock Theater' and I actually wasn't comparing the two performances at all. He's excellent in that, and though I don't like the episode nearly as much as most everyone else does -- I personally think there are a lot of problems with the story -- I rated it an excellent on the acting alone. Dean is also great in it, but it's really Scott's show.

'Dreams' is more subtle and that's something I prefer. Personal preference.

Yes, I too am convinced that Al does remember the simo-leap and is pretending he doesn't for a couple of reasons. A big reason is Donna, as you've pointed out [and I still think the keeping knowledge of Donna from Sam thing is crap but I digress]. But being as that's what they did, yeah, if Sam remembers the simo-leap he could remember everything, including going home for a while and being with her.

Of course Al remembers the Simo-Leap, Sam does too. They talk about it during "Lee Harvey Oswald", when Sam is scared that he will lose control, Al says something along the lines "Do you remember how when we simo-leaped you absorbed part of my brain? Well if you can handle my labido, you can handle some of Oswald's loose neurons!"

Of course Al remembers the Simo-Leap, Sam does too. They talk about it during "Lee Harvey Oswald", when Sam is scared that he will lose control, Al says something along the lines "Do you remember how when we simo-leaped you absorbed part of my brain? Well if you can handle my labido, you can handle some of Oswald's loose neurons!"

As I mentioned I dismiss season 5's logic as the rules were all broken in that season. Thanks for the reminder of the details of that occurrence though, apparently I had mentioned it in a six year old post but no longer remembered it.

As I mentioned I dismiss season 5's logic as the rules were all broken in that season. Thanks for the reminder of the details of that occurrence though, apparently I had mentioned it in a six year old post but no longer remembered it.

I wouldn't say they were broken, more bent and evolved...

blue enigma said:
Yes, I too am convinced that Al does remember the simo-leap and is pretending he doesn't for a couple of reasons. A big reason is Donna, as you've pointed out [and I still think the keeping knowledge of Donna from Sam thing is crap but I digress]

I'm unsure why I left this unanswered and it's a little off topic so apologies but I agree about the logic of keeping Donna from Sam not being valid and in the 2012 Wizard World con panel Scott expressed also disagreeing. First of all Trilogy part 2 is a large example of the consequences of Sam not knowing that he's married and it's Scott's belief that with the knowledge that Donna understands he wouldn't be concerned.

See my The Leap Back review, I believe I go into this there.

So... Who did kill Janice?

1. Al says that Peter killed Jack in the original history, but how's that possible if Peter's in prison? The question of why Peter would want Jack dead is still unclear to me. Isn't it more likely that Stone was originally killed by Dr. Crane?
On the other hand, in the original history, Peter did successfully commit suicide, so probably it was Sam's changing of history that got Stone killed.

2. So who killed Janice?
Dr. Crane:
1. The drawing by the kid (hand = gloves)
2. The fact that Peter was hypnotized.
3. The metaphor with the heart.
Jack Stone:
1. At the crime scene so quickly.
2. An affair with Janice and killed her in revenge.
3. Crane wasn't seen at the scene until afterward.

Crane confessed to killing Janice during the hypnotism session at the Decaro house:
"I told her that I loved her and that I had to have her heart but that was her problem, she couldn't give me her heart, so I took it."

And I speculate that Peter never killed Jack but that Crane had framed him after successfully hypnotizing Jack to commit suicide by convincing him with more hypnotism that Jack was Janice's killer because he was the lover that she had broken it off with.
Remember he'd tried to project the same story onto Peter when Sam questioned him in the beginning but perhaps Sam showed him the drawing of the gloves the kid had given him before they'd begun that second session at the Decaro house.
In any case, it seems Crane was trying to plant the murder on anyone who was convenient.

Though I'm not able to fit in the phone call between Jack and Janice before the murder and his being the first on the scene nor can I rationalize why Jack would be chosen as the scapegoat.

Last edited:
Here we reach another episode that I had previously rated several years ago. The rating I gave it at the time was Fair, but now I don't think that's a just rating. On my most recent rewatch, I did rather like this one in some ways.

Let me be clear, I do think this episode is simply too dark for an episode of Quantum Leap. It's no secret that darker eps are not among my favourites. I don't mind if there's a playfulness to them (like with The Boogiem*n and Blood Moon, for example), but not when they're just purely dark. Last Dance before an Execution is an exception, I'll admit, but I do think the story was just far superior to what we got here.

Dreams is a bit of a mess in parts, to be honest. The whole thing with Sam getting those flashes to being a little boy and the black and white scenes were just a little too much. They happened too often. The reveal at the end where we discover that Sam's host had witnessed his own mother's autopsy was, quite frankly, rather disturbing and a bit of a sick twist. The episode is also sluggish in parts, the atmosphere is claustrophobic, etc, etc. There's a whole host of reasons why I'm not too crazy about this episode.

The only real reasons why this episode has escaped a Fair rating this time around is largely thanks to little things. First of all, even in this darkest of all QL episodes, Al still delivers the funny goods. I can't remember his exact lines, but he did make me laugh quite a few times in this episode. He also keeps the episode grounded and makes things feel familiar, because Sam is out of sorts the whole episode so we really need Al here and, as always, Dean delivers on all fronts. Another big reason why I liked it more this time around is thanks to this week's main antagonist, the psychiatrist Dr. Crane (anyone else notice the obvious links to Dr. Frasier Crane from Cheers and Frasier. haha). He was genuinely creepy, menacing and the dude playing the part seemed genuinely unhinged. Definitely a highlight for me. Another small plus point is Roselli, Sam's host's police partner. I really liked her. I also liked the relationship between Stone (Sam's host) and her. I sensed a slight romantic attraction on Roselli's side and was disappointed that she just seemed to disappear towards the end of the episode.

I would have liked to have heard exactly what happened to them at the end. We get no input from Al, Sam just instantly leaps... I did like that look Sam and Al shared, though, just before the leap. Was a pretty powerful moment.

PS. Anyone else think Sam's baby like voice was just completely unnecessary and ridiculous sounding? Real case of unintentional humour (although was actually welcome for some light relief).

My rating. Good. A decent episode in some ways, but very unlike Quantum Leap and way, WAY too dark for my liking.