1107 True Callings, Part II ? The Two Sams

The Two Sams

• 5 ? This is an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

• 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

• 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters
D

Dman176

True Callings, Part II ?
The Two Sams

May 25, 1985

Hope Springs, Virginia (city ten miles south of Washington, D.C.)

Forced to obey orders from Hawkins, Sam must take to the streets as a superhero to fight crime while dealing with the threat of another leaper whose plans could destroy Sam and the project.

Written by: Greg Carey
(with Damon C. Sugameli)

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited:
Our rating system this season consists of five raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 9.2

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Valery S. Gemini said:
The high expectations I had last week have all been fulfilled! And I know that the conclusion of this trilogy will be just as surprising, enthralling, captivating, and funny. I especially enjoyed all the little hints about the 80's (for ex. about the CDs being a novelty...) because I remember that period as one of the most exciting in my life. Excellent job, Greg!

RATING: 9

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
A great second part, will be looking forward to the finale.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
I said it with "Guinea Pig"... Sam's moment of weakness would probably have long-lasting repercussions, and it appears I was right. Sam finally realizes that he inadvertently created the Evil Leaper project. What I really love about this story is the coming together of various storylines over the past few years: General Hawkins, Tom Beckett & J.T., the rogue leaper...I'm guessing that Sam's younger self will play a key role in the finale. Ironic that Sam was contemplating changing his own past when now it seems like his mission is going to be to save himself, in a manner of speaking.

My two favorite scenes in this installment were when Sam first started walking around Hope Springs and everyone greeted him the same way; in my head, I was picturing Sam being trapped in Pleasantville, USA. I laughed out loud at all the references to CDs, Wham!, Back to the Future, and Nintendo. (God, I feel old now! Thanks, Greg...) The second scene I really loved was when Sam was fighting the criminals. I could hear the Danny Elfman score in the background with Sam masquerading as a dark-hooded vigilante of the night. Batman was one of my all-time favorite movies, so I was grinning with delight reading this.

I was debating whether to give this a 10 now, or wait until Part 3 (because, I just know that Part 3 will almost certainly be deserving of a 10). After thinking about it, what the hell...I'm giving it a 10!

Excellent, Greg! Looking forward to the next confrontation between Sam and Dr. Connors!

RATING: 10

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seeker said:
Great follow up to the first part.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Xanadu said:
Like OMG! Talk about shocking and interesting and a fun read. Hehehe... WHAM! Back to the Future! Everything... it was like stepping back into the 80's and just giving it another whirl.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tom Jarret said:
This was a wonderful second installment, that of course, makes us long for part three to see how the story finally wraps up. Looking forward to part 3 greatly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited:
Greg, what a great follow-up to the previous episode in this trilogy. You've done a great job of continuing the story at a perfect pace. I noticed a few of your "Easter eggs" again. :b I'll have to wait for your list to see what I missed.

I guess I'll have to give this one a 5 as well... boo hoo. ;) Great job, buddy! I'm on edge for the conclusion.

... Mike. ^_^

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHH..THE THINGS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED LIST PART II

1.The sign: City Of HOPE SPRINGS - Established 1858- May It Stand ETERNAL...if you only read the upper case words: Hope Springs Eternal...
2. Taylor's Hardware Store - a small reference to Tim "Tool Time" Taylor from Home Improvement
3. Toy store - advertising the arrival of a new video game system called Nintendo
4. The movie theater Coming Soon marquee advertising Back to the Future - and then Sam meets people by the names of Lorraine (little girl), George (postal worker), and Martin (Marty) Mc (Fly)Phearson
5. When Sam enters Brad's apartment and sees the mess, he says, "This superhero could use a butler" - a reference to Batman
6. Sam's new haircut makes him look like Captain Archer from Star Trek Enterprise
7. Sam's stitches intersect with the branding scar he received in Damon's lifetime trilogy when he was tortured
8. Al's line: 'It?s almost like you have a cult waiting to see their leader' refers to the alternate timeline of Damon's trilogy where in the future a cult existed that worshipped the return of the leaper.
9. Sam's line: 'There?s no instruction book that comes with this suit.' is a reference to the Greatest American Hero, whose character had a special suit with powers and he kept losing the instruction book that came with it
10. T's line: 'Well, lookee what we have here!' - again, another Back to the Future reference (Biff)
11. Sam's attempt to rapel down the building and a guy sticking his head out the window is from the old Batman show with Adam West
12. Inside the convenience store, Sam grabs the robber who yells, "What are you?" to which Sam replies, "I'm Captain Liberty!" is from the beginning of the movie Batman (1989)
13. After Sam stops Mrs. Haversham's purse from being stolen, he gets to help the little old lady across the street...
14. The newsanchor says the scientist convention should "...prove to be a Bold Leap Forward..."

MORE will be posted at a later time as they will probably spoil future episodes