Posting at my own risk... please don't kill me!!!

D

Dman176

Okay... after much debating, I've decided to risk my own personal safety and admit to something which will probably result in most, if not all, of you to hate me until "Big Tuesday"...

But, well, I can't help it, you'll all end up finding out anyway, if not from me, then from Gelf or MJ (who has already told me that, yes, she hates me! :b )

Yesterday, I wandered around at Best Buy just to look around, like I often do, to see if any new DVDs came out or whatever. On the shelf, I noticed about 3 copies of the first season of The A-Team, which I thought was kind of odd, considering that it's supposed to come out next week, on the same day as QL. I thought to myself, "No... it couldn't possibly be out a week early, could it? That would just be insane! Every single person on this board would want to murder me!" ;)

So, I walked down the other aisle, not really expecting to see anything out of the ordinary, when lo and behold, there it was... one copy left. Good thing the store wasn't that crowded, because people would've started looking at me funny, pointing and saying, "Who's that guy with the evil stare in his eyes laughing hysterically?!"

Needless to say, I snatched it off the shelf and didn't let go. Cradling it underneath my arm, I asked one of the employees if there were any other copies left, and he said, "Unfortunately no, probably not until next week. I know, it was a damn good show!" So, before you all line up to hang me, I DID think of all you guys when I asked the question! After that, I got on line, payed my $40 plus for it and went home to watch some of the bonus features.

Now, I debated and debated, and then debated AGAIN whether or not to share this "Big Tuesday one week early" story with all of you. For those of you who know me, you know I would never intentionally throw it in your faces. I mean... I'll admit, the thought did cross my mind to engage in a little friendly "ribbing" with all of you, but I realized that it might be misconstrued by newbies in particular as "gloating," which I would never want to be accused of doing. People who don't know me that well might read something like that and say, "Man, this 'Dman' guy's a real jerk!" and then, people who DO know me might respond by saying, "Oh yeah, that guy IS a jerk!" :b But, ultimately, I decided to share this news because... maybe if I found the QL DVD a week early, some of you might find a store that got it early too.

I feel kind of guilty that I got it before anyone else, but hey... I KNOW that all of you would have done the same thing that I did without even thinking twice! So there!!! :nut

With that said, I'm going into the living room and watching some more of my shiny new Quantum Leap DVD...

Until Next Time!
(*Hiding in fear for my life...)
Damon

Ah, so you *did* decide to post! And let me tell the rest of you... "debating" is an understatement! :lol

I still maintain that you are one heckuva lucky dog, Damon... And a gloater too ;)

Enjoy!
~gelfling

Its called Breaking Street date and it's illegal...The big chain stores seem to do that...Best Buy, Coconuts, FYE, (and any other Transworld store I missed) have been known to put them out early because they get them a week early because they buy new releases in such big quantities, sometimes they arrive in the regular shipment, so the clerks just put them out...One week I noticed they had South Park Season 3 out a week early with a Sale price sticker slapped on it...Major no-no...

I work in a private owned music/video store and we always get out new releases the day before they are supposed to come out...Wal-Mart puts theirs out at 12am midnight Monday night once it is officially Tuesday...

So if you spot a copy out early, snag it, because most likely the store is in violation of street date laws...I know this because a Sony rep came to the store the other day late on a Monday evening to see if we put out the next day's new releases a little early...If we were caught, the store would be severely fined and the vendor would make sure we lose our account with the distributor...So I guess big chain stores aren't affraid of getting caught because what do they care, they are the biggest accounts ($$$) for these label companies that the big chains have the labels by the horns

Questions..

I am curious, what was the exact price at Best Buy? Also, how long is the main "Behind the scenes" documentary?

Info

And please tell us: Is "Play It Again, Seymor" on the DVD? On www.great-tv-shows.com/quantum/main.html is the last episode "Kamikazi Kid". I hope the box includes the Seymor-episode.

Joe

By the way: I am new here and a fan of Quantum Leap from Germany.

Re: Info

:bat :evil >:
:wave :shoot

Forgive me, but: I WAS THERE AT BEST BUY(in Waterford, CT)JUST THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!
I had to vent. :lol Since I wasn't expecting the QL dvds until next Tuesday, I didn't look through the whole line of season sets. I bought the first season of Cheers though. If only I looked.
Hope you enjoy the first season Damon. :)

~Steve(aka RossBeckett)
P.S. Welcome to Al's Place Joe.

A head start on the rest of us.

I may be green with envy Damon, but I don't blame you in the least.

I'll just say, to quote our good friend Al Calavicci:

"You lucky dog!!!!"

I have to wait for my birthday (8th July) to get my copy, but I don't care how many 'spoilers' I read, nothing will spoil my pleasure in watching it, especially as I shall hopefully be sharing the experience with my best buddy, soul-sister Sue! (Yeh, I know you'll have seen your copy by then, Sue, but I'm gonna make you sit through it again! :b )

I don't need to tell you to enjoy it with a clear conscience Damon, I'm sure you already have!

Re: A head start on the rest of us.

All 8 episodes (9, if you count "Genesis" as 2) are spread out evenly on 3 discs, with the Bonus interviews on the first disc ("A Kiss With History ? Remembering Quantum Leap"). The "Quantum Knowledge" segments are short little insights from Scott that automatically play when you first select an episode. I'm happy enough with the extras, although I was kind of hoping for a bit more. Hopefully, they're saving more of the really good stuff for future releases...

I'd only seen the pilot episode, "The Color of Truth" and "Camikazi Kid" in their original format through the original VHS tapes, so I'm assuming that everything else is indeed in the original format. Yes, "Play it Again, Seymour" is included! With the exception of that and the pilot episode, all the other episodes in-between begin with the original Scott narration (which seems to vary VERY slightly in the first couple of shows), followed by the opening credits, and then the "recap" with Sam's commentary leading into the current leap. "Play it Again, Seymour" is weird though... it starts off with the previous leap and Sam's recap, then the "teaser," followed by the 2nd season opening title sequence (like how the early 2nd season episodes were on the VHS tapes). And the leap-in at the end is from "What Price Gloria?" not "Honeymoon Express" (which actually makes more sense to me seeing as the 1st season leap effects don't match up). At least, now I finally know for certain which ending was attached at the end of its original run. (I hope that wasn't giving away too much! :b )

The sticker price was $43.99 at Best Buy (not including tax). That sort of surprised me because I expected it to be a bit cheaper. I usually buy DVDs at Best Buy because it's normally about 10 to 20 dollars cheaper than in the major chains like Sam Goody, Tower Records, or the Virgin Megastore. It could very well be because of what Greg (DZL) said about it being illlegal to distribute releases earlier.

I don't know, perhaps it's a New York thing... that's not the first time I've seen a store have something on the shelf before it's supposed to be there. I've also been in one or two comic book stores that get things in earlier through pre-orders or as part of an exclusive deal through the direct market only. Bootlegs and imports are pretty commonplace in NYC as well. I don't think that's fair for people who don't live here... I won't share any more info until everyone else gets the chance to watch the DVDs for themselves.

After that, we can all talk about it some more... okay? :)

Hmmm, I wonder if Sunday's ad circular will have a lower price. Best Buy usually has the cheapest prices on new issues on the day they come out. Still, kudos to you on your good fortune!

Which reminds me.....if I want to give in to the inkling to get the Dukes of Hazzard season 1 at the good price, I probably ought to do so before Sunday.

Blessings,
Jennie

YAY!!

I've just recieved an email telling me that my copy of the season 1 DVD is being shipped tomorrow (8th) from northamericandvd.com

I can't wait NOW!! :hurray

I echo Sue....YAY!:joy I received an email from Amazon.com telling me that my QL dvd is being shipped today. Alas, delivery date(s) are June 17-19 but I don't mind the wait. *g* It will give me time to get my DVD player set up. (It'll probably take that long just for me to connect 'wire A' to 'object B'!!) :rollin

Eleiece

Re: Re: A head start on the rest of us.

I got my e-mail too. Even though I know it will take a long time, I keep checking the USPS tracking system. :lol

Today's the day for street release though! Yay! :hurray

What Price Gloria leap-in

And the leap-in at the end is from "What Price Gloria?" not "Honeymoon Express" (which actually makes more sense to me seeing as the 1st season leap effects don't match up).

It makes even more sense because that was what the leap-in was in the original 1989 broadcast!

None of the episode guides ever mention that "What Price Gloria" was clearly made as the season finale of season one as a) it's there at the leap-in at the end of "Seymour" and b) even when it was shown in season two, it's using the typeface used for the season one credits! To this day I have no idea why it was shelved for Season Two (and I've never understood why no one has asked this before!)

Re: What Price Gloria leap-in

Well, I remember reading somewhere years ago that 13 episodes had been produced at first (which I believe was the standard for any new series that got picked up after the pilot), so whatever was left over was televised for the second season (which I assume were the first 4 episodes for Year Two). When I first saw the leap effects leading into "What Price Gloria" during syndication, I had just always assumed that it must have originally been tacked on at the end of the first season just for the sake of having a leap at the end. And that is essentially what Scott himself said in the interview: "The first season wasn't intentionally meant to end with a cliffhanger, especially since that wasn't the next episode; we wanted to hold off on that episode as long as possible."

Generally, when a series begins as a mid-season replacement, as QL did, there is no "official" season finale, since the networks cannot usually guarantee that the show will be renewed. Sometimes, only two or three episodes of a series may air before the network decides to pull the plug on it, and when that happens, there ends up being quite a few "lost" episodes left over that were never aired. It's all about ratings, unfortunately...

That being said, I hope that's the only time the DVDs are going to show the leap-endings the way they "originally" aired. I can overlook it this time, because as I said, it just makes more sense since the transition between leaps from "Seymour" to "Honeymoon Express" was not as smooth. But, there are later episodes where a repeat was shown the week after an original run...

Example: At the end of the original run of "Promised Land" from Season 5, the leap-in is to "The Leap Back" from Season 4 (in a slightly abbreviated form), since that was the next episode on NBC's schedule at the time. The way you see the episodes edited on Sci-Fi is not always the way NBC aired them the first time around, or even when NBC re-ran them. I hope the "genius" powers-that-be at Universal realize that the DVDs should be edited accordingly for continuity purposes. :\

I am not sure about that

Not all of the leap-ins were shot with the actual episodes. Lee Harvey Oswald for example. Form what was said on the DVD I assumed this was a similar case. That they decided to start the next season with a different story instead. Honeymoon Express was a good introduction episode for people new to the show. Showing more of the future and explaining the premise. Even if the episode was held back it may have been also because of this, or because the idea of Sam leaping into a woman may have made NBC nervous about whether people would except it. Especially so early in the series.

"Gloria" musings

The leap-in wasn't shot special a la Lee Harvey Oswald, it is from "What Price Gloria". And if you watch the credits for guest stars, etc, on What Price Gloria (except for the title and leap date, incidentally), they're using the first season's typeface (they changed the font they used in the credits between seasons one and two). Which leads me to believe it was abruptly yanked, for whatever reason, and shelved to the next season, since it was pretty much ready to roll.

They're's never been an explanation for this (indeed, I've always been a bit frustrated by this!-- we have all this stuff about "Mirror Image" but can we get a decent answer about "Gloria" being a Season One story...nooooo!), and it's all speculation. Here's mine:

"Gloria" was meant to close the first season (which makes sense, since Sam-as-a-woman for the first time would be quite a story to end it on!) NBC decided to abruptly end the run in the first season, since the show was always on the bubble, and "Gloria" was shelved. "Honeymoon Express" was pretty much tailor-made as the season opener to re-explain the central concepts of the show, and presumably they wanted to get the new season running before they did a Sam-as-a-woman, which is why it doesn't show up until fourth in the running order of Season Two.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

'accurate' leap-ins...

It's a very good question regarding how they'll do leap-ins with future season box sets. I was glad they did it with Semour/Gloria, because that's how it was in '89. But I hadn't thought about what about leap-ins to repeats? This isn't a big deal, but if they're keeping the original voice-overs for the leap ins until it changes to the saga cell in "Another Mother", then we're going to have Sam saying he leapt into "Animal Frat" from "Camakazi Kid". Hmmm...this could get messy for season 2!

Geekily yours, Graeme

Re: What Price Gloria Leap-in

Well, I remember reading somewhere years ago that 13 episodes had been produced at first (which I believe was the standard for any new series that got picked up after the pilot), so whatever was left over was televised for the second season (which I assume were the first 4 episodes for Year Two).

I've never heard that before. Usually back then mid-season replacement runs were like eight episodes at most (look at Twin Peaks or Max Headroom). And, like I said, it's the only story in the second season which seems to have the first season typeface on the credits, which I thought meant it was completely 'in the can' for the first season. But I could be wrong. It's not like we have any real hard evidence to base it on. I haven't seen the Scott Bakula interview (I don't get the DVDs till Tuesday), so I guess I'll find out!

Re: What Price Gloria Leap-in

And if you watch the credits for guest stars, etc, on What Price Gloria (except for the title and leap date, incidentally), they're using the first season's typeface (they changed the font they used in the credits between seasons one and two).

Well, I have all nine of the VHS tapes that Universal sold in stores years ago, including "What Price Gloria," and I just popped it in my VCR to check. It looks like the 2nd season credits typeface to me. I can tell the difference too... 1st season is all lower-case letters when it says something like "written by" or "directed by," while people's names are all in caps like "DONALD P. BELLISARIO." The credits for "What Price Gloria" are 2nd season, so the DVD version should most likely be the same... "The Color of Truth" and "Camikazi Kid" are exactly the same on the DVDs as they were on the VHS tapes, as is the Pilot Episode.

I'm not debating that "Gloria" was probably meant to be the last episode for the 1st season. I always assumed it was produced during the first season, because of the way the leap effects looked at the end of the syndicated version of "The Americanization of Machiko." The really long teaser at the beginning of "Gloria" also seems to support that idea. But regardless of the reasons for the delay, it ended up becoming a second season episode, with the leap-in effects "touched up" accordingly. DVD season box sets almost always arrange the episodes in the original air-date order.

Star Trek: Voyager is a perfect example: 20 episodes were produced for the first season, but the last 4 were held back until the 2nd season. "The '37s" was used for the 2nd season premiere, even though technically it was produced as the 1st season finale. Subsequently, 26 episodes were produced for the 2nd season, but because 4 episodes from the previous year were held back, they ended up holding back 4 additional "new" episodes until the 3rd season; after which they only produced 22 for the 3rd season, so that they could catch up by season's end. The DVDs for Voyager follow the original UPN schedule: 1st season set has the first 16 episodes, ending with "Learning Curve," 2nd season set begins with "The '37s" and ends with "Basics, Part I." If you even go to the Star Trek site and look at the production numbers of some of those episodes, they're scattered around because they knew the last 4 would be held back: "Basics, Part I" is #142, while "Basics, Part II" was #146. It was produced as the 3rd season premiere, even though they were still technically in their 2nd year of production. Does that make any sense? :b

The only exception I think they should make as far as the DVDs showing episodes in their original broadcasting order is with "Sliders," only because Fox royally screwed up the order the 1st and 2nd seasons were intended to be shown in. Even Sci-Fi actually shows the 1st season in the "correct" order. With a show like Quantum Leap, it really doesn't matter most of the time, because there's generally no continuing plotline from one episode to the next. I mean... it's really not that big of a deal if some episodes were "supposed" to air differently, or whatever. Does it really matter that much? The episodes are on DVD, edited in their original formats with no commercial breaks... just be happy! :)

We may never know...

I suspect this is something we will never be sure on. www.epguides.com/quantumleap has production numbers listed but I don't understand enough of what they mean to know if it answers this. I am not sure of this but I think P. Numbers can represent the order the scripts were written not always the order of filming. I may be wrong through. How the Leap-ins were shot and edited, and the scheduling of all that is something I would be very interested to hear more about on later sets. Often certain shots are added in the actual episode than in the previous episodes shown leap-in. Also you don't hear Velton Ray Bunch's musical scores for those scenes until the actual episodes