Quantum Leap DVD music

• Thread starter BeckettCalavicciCorp84
  • Start date
B

BeckettCalavicciCorp84

I can understand why everyone would be upset about the music changes for the 2nd season, and it does kind of hurt the feel of "M.I.A.", but to be honest, it doesn't matter that much to me, because it's Quantum Leap, and I'm just happy to finally have it on DVD!!!

I wholeheartedly agree.

Some of us haven't seen QL in 13 years.

And not every series released on dvd is going to be given platinum treatment.

It's still a good set for the price. Plus, I watch dvds for the show. Not the extras, not the music, etc.

Plus, I watch dvds for the show. Not the extras, not the music, etc.
Well, if it had said "The Incomplete Second Season" then I would agree, since much of the music is not included. Extras are just that... EXTRAS. They're a nice bonus that consumers have been spoiled to expect with the advent of DVDs. But, the music is PART of the show whether it's licensed or not. It is dubbed in along with the sound effects, the actors' dialogue, etc. In my mind, you absolutely, positively can NOT separate the audio from the visual, otherwise the episode is not being seen the way it is meant to be seen. Simple as that. Incomplete episodes are not what the QL fans asked for. I want to see them EXACTLY as they were meant to be seen on television, opening and closing credits, music and all. Every single one of those things (special effects, music, sound effects, etc.) are PART of the show, and any one of those things taken out or altered takes away from what the writer/producers envisioned. (Not counting George Lucas because Star Wars is his baby; he sort of has the right to do what he wants with it, even if some of it may seem idiotic to the rest of us...)

And yes, I'm happy that we have SOMETHING rather than nothing at all, but I'd rather it not be that way. It's just very clear now that someday, someone will have to buy Quantum Leap away from Universal and make sure it's done the RIGHT way. It irks me that someone like myself could put together a DVD set that's 10 times better than Universal did it in half the time and with very little effort. Sorry if that sounds a bit conceited, but it's the truth. I seem to have far more respect for creative details than most "average" people do. I'm the kind of person who will walk into a store to buy a book, and if all of the copies are damaged in any way, even if only a small dent, I won't buy it. I mean, when you have one of the best episodes of QL on DVD, "M.I.A.," and can't even watch it because the mood is ruined, what's the point of having it on DVD then?

I guess this is why companies like Universal will continue getting away with these practices: too many consumers settle for inferior quality products and stuff that's only second-best. No one really seems to care anymore, as long as they've got "something." *Sigh*

It's just a shame that we even have to be at the point where we're having this conversation. This entire issue should have never even been a second thought. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, though.

I agree with Damon. OK, so I'm a musical person, but to me music is more than an extra, it is an INTEGRAL part of any show. The example I used in my letter to Universal (that I STILL haven't received a reply to I might add) is the show Due South. DS, like QL, used music brilliantly as almost another character, to create and enhance the mood of the scene. In one episode in particular, they used Sarah McLachlan's song Possession over a scene in which the main character is making love to a femme fatale from his past, and without that song, the scene just wouldn't have had the same impact. And in another episode they used Loreena McKennitt's ethereal "Prospero's Speech" and that would have totally suffered if that song had been removed because that eerie and ethereal atmosphere is exactly what the scene needed. You may argue, well can't they replace it with a score that can create the same atmosphere, but for some fans the two become inextricably linked in our minds and it jars when the music and vision are not together. It's like watching an actor say something but hearing completely different words, it just feels WRONG. Yes I agree, extras, nice though they are, are not essential - the Due South DVDs for instance had no extras whatsoever - but when you think about it, the writers, directors and/or producers must put a lot of thought into picking just the right song to convey the mood of a scene. It's actually kinda insulting for someone like Universal to just disregard their vision - it would be like arbitrarily changing the dialogue. OK, I'm just rambling now, but I guess what I'm trying to say is, for me, the show and the music are not separate - for me the music is as much a part of a show as the dialogue, and I don't think anyone would buy a DVD of a show if the dialogue had been changed.
What worries me most about this conversation is this: the first two posters are certainly entitled to their opinion, but with all respect, that attitude is exactly what Universal is hoping for. Why should Universal bother lifting their game when they know ppl are so hungry for eps they'll accept anything? I told them in my letter that I didn't intend to buy season 2 or any following season until they stopped messing with the episodes, and I intend to follow through on that. It's hard because I miss QL as much as anyone here, and I was really looking forward to collecting the DVDs, but I felt I had to make a stand or nothing would change. If we are all willing to just sit back and take it, where is the incentive for Universal to change anything? Either way they get their money, so why not save a few bucks along the way? As it is, it seems the only one missing out at the moment is me, but hopefully if more ppl feel the same way, and are prepared to let Universal know, then maybe we can get them to reconsider. But we need to form a united front.
Fel

In one episode in particular, they used Sarah McLachlan's song Possession over a scene in which the main character is making love to a femme fatale from his past, and without that song, the scene just wouldn't have had the same impact.
I think you're absolutely right about that - I just tried to imagine that scene without "Possession"... impossible :wacko

I haven't seen most of the QL episodes for a really loooooong time, so I probably wouldn't even notice most of the changes; I didn't notice every one of them on my season 2 DVDs - except in M.I.A. >:

I agree that the music is an important part of the episodes. I haven't seen the episodes in years, so I didn't notice much difference except with "Another Mother" and "M.I.A." of course. And like veggie, I haven't receive a response from Universal either. Grrr.

music maker

Even with the real music replaced with "music", I'm still getting the DVDs too. It's a shame that it all happened, and as discussed ad nauseum all over the board, Universal (and everyone else involved in the decision making process) is ______ (fill in the blank) for doing what they did. But, like the original poster, I'm just happy to get QL at all, since there's no more reruns happening around here in my part of the world, and I don't really have the time to download/remake my own "original" copies as some have done (more power to you) which I may have consdered if I had the time and patience to do so. But that's just me. Lots of people are standing by their principles, and good for you! (I don't mean that sarcastically either).

I do not agree with Universal for their actions, but I want QL, dag nabbit! I also want Windows XP, Starbucks Vanilla latte, Shaw Cable, Intel based-Pentium Computer...you get the idea...yeah, I'm a bit of a social leper...:rolleyes

CX

P.S. As a footnote, I'm just a bit saddened that in several places on this board, taking a stand either way on this whole music issue has resulted in some name calling by not only newbies but even moderators as well (no names)...we can be mad at Universal, but let's be nice to each other. Please?

happily annoyed.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm glad to have the DVDs, but a bit annoyed with the music replacement.

I can't really get angry about it anymore, because I got used to the big corporations replacing music with the Dawson's Creek box sets. And if the powers that be couldn't find a way to retain the original music on a show like DC, Which has a potentially greater consumer base than a cult sci-fi show Quantum Leap, it's almost like we didn't stand a chance.

But, to be honest, before season 2 came out, and I read about the music replacement here and elsewhere on the 'net, it wasn't even an issue I had thought of... although I surely would've noticed it on Good Morning, Peoria and MIA.

One other thing... I haven't watched that far yet, but I'm wondering about musical replacement on Black on White On Fire. In checking the songs that were originally in the episode, I noticed something... they're all Motown songs. Universal owns Motown. Is there any corporate synergy, and the music remained, or were there cheap replacements in the episode?

Re: happily annoyed.

I agree that in some cases, the music change doesn't matter, but the scenes where it is integral to the scean, changing it is just wrong.

In Good Morning Pioria, Sam is a Rock Station DJ, and they replace some of the Rock Music with Filler Elevator Musak, That is just wrong.

Then in MIA, all the music except I heard it through the grapevine was replaced, and the episode just doesn't have the same effect. And that is to say nothing of the way they butchered the Georgia on my Mind Dance.

I just think that after waiting all this time, the Fans deserve more.