The Future Time

feldon30

Forum Technician
Jul 13, 2005
SC
There are all these reasons people are mad about the new show.

It doesn't have Sam and Al.
It has a diverse cast.
It has a nonbinary main character.
It's not the show people remember.

Those things don't bother me. Time marches on.

What's bothering me is that through the entirety of the original show, we saw the Future for a whopping TWENTY MINUTES out of 90 episodes. Now we're getting that EVERY WEEK. It's turning into a police procedural as the cops (Magic and Jen) spend their time tracking down Beth and Janice and this sleuthy mystery and trying to figure out Ben's motivations. And to pad for time, we've got these tired TV tropes like encrypted flash drives and mistrust and intrigue and floating 3D equations and a 3D spinning map while the actual leap gets barely 20 minutes.

I don't mind when they change things. I mind when they don't understand WHY it was the way it was. The original show used time travel as a conceit to TELL STORIES. The time travel itself wasn't the story except for a rare few episodes. Knight Rider wasn't about the car. Back to the Future wasn't about the Delorean.

Spending FIFTY minutes in someone else's life with friends, family, experiences, situations, and crises leaves an impression and has an opportunity to teach Sam (and the audience) about other ways of thinking and seeing a different slice of life. What is Ben learning in these 20 minute blips? He's a body tourist seeing cool things, making rousing speeches that get everyone to change their minds in like 2 minutes, maybe a little twist, and then bam it's time to leap again. This feels like two television shows warring for the same time slot.

It has a diverse cast.
It's not the show people remember]
I haven't seen any of that, those such complaints.

But I have seen and do share in, the other. Really, the show was never about the lab. We don't care about the lab. They're making this into NCIS or CSI. That ain't what QL is.

Facebook is a puddle of festering goo and the things I listed are 50% of people's complaints about the new show. :(

With Sams machine the science was physics and neurology and all the audience were concerned with was brainwaves neurons and maisons, however with this new show and technology you need a first class degree in computer I.T to understand with the constant mentioning of software, programming code , Syntax error, uploaded code etc

String theory was the basis of the project, and the viewer understood how AL and Sam were connected but i dont like how this version of the show has bypassed this and turned it into a Matrix type show and a total geek fest for the programming community.

Quanta is why QL exists and I'd like that explored more not code and uploads :smokin

They cut a really touching scene between Beth and Magic to make room for an entire MINUTE of the cast staring mouths agape at this:

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2022-09-28-00h05m48s068.jpg
    vlcsnap-2022-09-28-00h05m48s068.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 13
Ratings for episode 2 were down 20 percent from what the opener drew. Not good.

True dat! Perhaps the hurried nature of the first episode is the reason. I liked the second episode better myself but it seems to becoming a serial. I hope they don't drag out the drama too long. I did like the fact that Susan Diol was cast as Al's widow. That's continuity with the original QL.

I definitely enjoyed the second episode better. I wonder if time point in time Ben is trying to reach is the bar

It has a diverse cast.
It's not the show people remember.

The cast is more diverse than it was, but QL was always a very "worthy" show anyway, incredibly left-leaning (post S1, at least) and so it doesn't, to me, feel out of place.

One struggle I'm having - apart from the Leap becoming the "B" plot - is the pace of it. It's kind of jolting, in that it's been almost thirty years since the show was last on the air, and that difference in timing is really felt here. It's not as apparent the speeding up of TV until you watch something like this, a revival of a show from a very different era.

It's also maybe a sign of the times that the lead characters have to be more emotionally invested in what's going on, that it's all linked together.

I know this may be heresy, but there were more than a handful of original Quantum Leap episodes that could be described as.... inessential. Not necessarily in a bad way. But just in a "if you missed that episode, it won't harm you" kind of way. And that was good. it was a relaxing show, in many senses. And while original QL had something that his has perhaps yet to show, it also had a fair few missteps in the early years.

I still feel that after 2 episodes the jury's out.

The pacing is definitely an issue that modern TV has an issue with. I mean, an entire third of the hour is dedicated to commercials. We don't really get that with shows that are made for streaming - they often have 50+ minute episodes. Shoot, some of the Star Wars shows have episodes that are only 30-something minutes. With streaming, the showrunners are free to tell each episode's story in exactly the right amount of time needed - if it takes less than an hour or more. Network TV doesn't get that.

I do have to say, though... I re-watched the first ep of QL22 yesterday, and it was an ad-less version, and... omg, it flowed SO much better without ads. I didn't really have any issues with the episode to begin with, but this second watch, with no ads breaking up the tension, was just amazing.

Last edited:
So I had some more thoughts (whining?) on all this and what is making me scratch my head.

The original show, there was always some tension.

It always felt like Project Quantum Leap was operating on the fringe, out-of-control, on a shoestring budget, with an unreliable computer, with just a few staff. There was always some doubt whether they would have the information and resources to be able to help Sam, if Ziggy worked at all. It gave a feeling of tension and concern that drove the plot forward and made Sam's situation feel that much more tenuous.

NuQL has a massive opulent facility with floor-to-ceiling computers, glass and granite everywhere, luxurious offices, a colossal Leap and Imaging chamber, and the main characters have a massive apartment in downtown Los Angeles. And there seems to be a cast of thousands at Ian's beckon call to fix any computer problem that arises.

I feel no tension. It's like CSI: Time Cops.

I hope that at some point down the road, Magic, Ian, and Addison have to go busting into the old project in New Mexico and scavenge technology. That would be interesting to watch.

So I had some more thoughts (whining?) on all this and what is making me scratch my head.

The original show, there was always some tension.

It always felt like Project Quantum Leap was operating on the fringe, out-of-control, on a shoestring budget, with an unreliable computer, with just a few staff. There was always some doubt whether they would have the information and resources to be able to help Sam, if Ziggy worked at all. It gave a feeling of tension and concern that drove the plot forward and made Sam's situation feel that much more tenuous.

NuQL has a massive opulent facility with floor-to-ceiling computers, glass and granite everywhere, luxurious offices, a colossal Leap and Imaging chamber, and the main characters have a massive apartment in downtown Los Angeles. And there seems to be a cast of thousands at Ian's beckon call to fix any computer problem that arises.

I feel no tension. It's like CSI: Time Cops.

I hope that at some point down the road, Magic, Ian, and Addison have to go busting into the old project in New Mexico and scavenge technology. That would be interesting to watch.
Yes they've made it far too antiseptic. Way too slick. I couldn't put my finger on it until reading your take just now.

I do have to say, though... I re-watched the first ep of QL22 yesterday, and it was an ad-less version, and... omg, it flowed SO much better without ads. I didn't really have any issues with the episode to begin with, but this second watch, with no ads breaking up the tension, was just amazing.

I've seen them both ad-free so far, and I can't imagine them with ads. (Did the original have ads? They were shown in the UK on the BBC.)

Oh, Feldon30 - "the main characters have a massive apartment in downtown Los Angeles".

Was I just being dumb, or did anyone else get confused as to where everything was in S2? It seemed like their apartment was built within QL.

Maybe their apartment building is housing built specifically for PQL staff?

If a quantum accelerator is involved in PQL, I'd imagine they'd want staff to be close at hand for any emergencies; having on-Project housing would make sense - don't want your key staff members getting stuck in L.A. traffic.

All this said, tonight's episode was a THOUSAND percent better. It had the heart back in it. It cared about the leap. And the future part didn't feel like filler and TV tropes. I'm interested now.

I definitely enjoyed the second episode better. I wonder if time point in time Ben is trying to reach is the bar

I mean, if it’s not, they’re missing the greatest opportunity in reboot history right? The first series left open so many questions about that bar. The bar could hold secrets to getting back Sam (and other leapers because clearly there are others).

It almost feels like if they don’t end up back at Al’s Place then what’s the point of the whole thing?

A lot of reboots or revivals are using or including a more diverse cast. I thought this was in answer to complaints that television wasn't diverse enough. Whatever.

I for one appreciate that there is more of a split between the leaps and the project. It provides a more complete narrative that to be honest I was a little disappointed not to have more of in the original and I disagree, I feel the leaps still receive enough attention with a lot of the same atmosphere, approaches, and emotional connections of the original leaps.

Ben responds to quite a few of the situations and characters with much the same compassion and determination as Sam did while still managing to feel like his own character, right out of the gate with the first leap:

(The following is a paraphrase)
"Ryan is not a criminal he's just trying to save his family; I think I'm here to help him."

and continuing when he jumps untethered across space to the space station to get help declaring that he is taking control of the leap (albeit it felt a bit unrealistic that he made it the entire distance in almost a straight line but I'm no expert).

It even improves on a few concepts such the more substantial and logical reasoning for their withholding Ben's memories from him and the whole fiancé dynamic with her against keeping him in the dark but conceding to do so because she has his direct and explicit consent as opposed to Donna's stupid logic.

I discussed this in another thread, but it's strongly suggested that the mystery, Ben's ulterior agenda with Janice is an attempt to retrieve Sam that's being concealed as a precaution against obligation.
Whether it's successful or not I appreciate how it references Al's character as well as how other references to the original show are being worked in such as putting Ben into a leap with Samantha Stratton whose life Sam saved in his first leap (Tom Stratton's daughter who Peg was pregnant with but was almost lost when Peg went into premature labor--I mean I'm 99% sure it had to be her, the name and profession can't be a coincidence).

I've been a Quantum Leap fan since first seeing the original show as a kid, and I like most of the new changes. Sam's adventures got a little repetitive as time went on (no pun intended). So, I like how they're mixing things up to add more drama and mystery to the mix. Hopefully, this revival lasts more than one season, because I'd really hate to see it axed without a proper sendoff, just like the first show was.

Hopefully, this revival lasts more than one season, because I'd really hate to see it axed without a proper sendoff, just like the first show was.

I concur, I'd like it to last. I am quite enjoying it thus far and the tie-ins with the original are some of the best I have ever seen.
I was concerned Magic's relationship to one of Sam's leaps would not be addressed so was relieved and excited when Magic talked about it with Ian.

I concur, I'd like it to last. I am quite enjoying it thus far and the tie-ins with the original are some of the best I have ever seen.
I was concerned Magic's relationship to one of Sam's leaps would not be addressed so was relieved and excited when Magic talked about it with Ian.
I enjoyed that scene too, mainly because it was played perfectly straight, no jokes or winking at the camera. It could easily have been messed up, but it wasn't, and I'm very grateful for that.

Whether it's successful or not I appreciate how it references Al's character as well as how other references to the original show are being worked in such as putting Ben into a leap with Samantha Stratton whose life Sam saved in his first leap (Tom Stratton's daughter who Peg was pregnant with but was almost lost when Peg went into premature labor--I mean I'm 99% sure it had to be her, the name and profession can't be a coincidence).

Man, that was bugging me. I felt like the name had to tie somehow, but I didn't think about the baby in the pilot episode. Makes perfect sense that it would be the child of Tom and Peg Stratton.:hurray:

Man, that was bugging me. I felt like the name had to tie somehow, but I didn't think about the baby in the pilot episode. Makes perfect sense that it would be the child of Tom and Peg Stratton.:hurray:

I'm hoping as the series progresses more and more of Sams previous leaps are referenced in future episodes like Stratton, Magic etc kinda like a "Sam Leap Residue" plot line that Ben is following.

Tonight's episode was groundbreaking for me because I am 99% certain this was the first leap to be set in a time I was alive in and during an event I experienced to boot albeit I was too little to remember.

I was born and have been in the Bay Area my entire life and was two, just over a month from turning three when the earthquake hit, and it was on my paternal grandmother's birthday.
As I said I don't remember it at all, but my family has told me stories about it.

This was the first time I have ever seen a depiction of what it looked like, the damage and the impact. I knew it was our strongest quake to date but never realized just how devastating it was.

If I recall correctly, the closest Sam got to leaping into my lifetime was Temptation Eyes which was just a year too soon.

I enjoyed Ben's character development, learning about his past and his family and seeing him in his first leap that had an emotional impact on him.

Tonight's episode was ground breaking in more ways than one ( pardon the pun ) with this being originally planned as the 1st episode before reshoots we can see there was a huge budget both in set and effects.

The story was engaging and interesting also.

Turned out a great episode, I would put this up there as the best so far along with the Atlantis space episode. It was actually refreshing to watch an episode where the leap was different and hadn't been done before with Sam along with the Space episode and had context and real character growth from Ben.

We are also seeing that as Sam had an emotional attachment to his father during his leaps through time we will now be seeing Ben with his mum, the phonecall at the end a callback to Sams episode in Genesis.

My favorite so far is the boxing episode. And to me, the fact there are two boxing episodes is the only similarity.

In the original, Sam wasn't actually in shape to box, was going to throw the fight for a mob boss, was doing all this to support a church. The spiritual center of the story was helping the church.

In the new one, Ben was 100% in shape to box, but the story is about his brother who has PTSD from Vietnam and is lashing out at everyone and on the road to ending his own life. The spiritual center of the story was helping his brother. The boxing was in service to that and the win was not a surprise.

My favorite so far is the boxing episode. And to me, the fact there are two boxing episodes is the only similarity.

In the original, Sam wasn't actually in shape to box, was going to throw the fight for a mob boss, was doing all this to support a church. The spiritual center of the story was helping the church.

In the new one, Ben was 100% in shape to box, but the story is about his brother who has PTSD from Vietnam and is lashing out at everyone and on the road to ending his own life. The spiritual center of the story was helping his brother. The boxing was in service to that and the win was not a surprise.

Agreed 100%.
I appreciate that while some of the same premises and ideas are being used, the executions are unique and feel independent from the original.

The same could be said of the old west episode.
Both hosts were elder former gunslingers with legends surrounding them and expected to dust off their long-retired guns but while Sam's leap revolved around an old rivalry that threatened his host's reputation and he had to avoid the duel to save his host's life, Ben's leap didn't revolve around the host, but the town, rescuing a town of refuge to outcasts from ruin and the reason for his opposition was pacifism.
Ben was also in the legit old west due to his breaking the lifetime barrior whereas Sam was in a mock old west town.

To be honest, the original always has been one of my least favorite eps, I prefer Ben's, it was far more in depth and took the theme more seriously.

I also find the flip that now instead of the leaper, it's the hologram who has medical experience/expertise interesting. Ben's need for instruction from Addison vs. Sam's MD allowing him to administer medical treatment himself is a new and interesting challenge and another form of using something from the original in a unique manner as Al was in the military as well, but it was his personal life experience that most often served Sam with a focus on the generation gap.

EDIT: Ironic to last night's episode, right when I sent this post a 5.1 earthquake hit, one of the biggest I've ever felt that I can remember.

Last edited: