PAL speedup on QL discs - does WinDVD help?

Operator13

Project QL Intern
Sep 4, 2006
I'm in the USA but I've been purchasing the R2 QL DVDs because of the music replacement issue. For whatever reason, the 4% PAL speedup has never been a significant issue with other R2 discs I own, but on the QL discs it's noticeable to the point of being distracting (especially in Blind Faith - there are quiet, rhythmic 'pops' throughout the episode).

I thought I remembered in one of the other threads that someone had mentioned using WinDVD 5 software with the PAL TruSpeed capability, and I'm wondering (before I make the investment) if that really corrects the problem. Thanks! :)

I have WinDVD, but no PAL discs, so I've never tried it. WinDVD does indeed have the ability to speed-up or slow-down playback. (Sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I will speed up a disc to 120%, just to finish it faster.)

If my math is correct, you'd need to slow the PAL/50 hertz disc to 84% of NTSC/60 speed.

Well it could also be that your drive does not support R2. There are different regions for different countries for a reason. Becuase I have WinDVD and my R1 DVDs never had a problem (until my drive went wonkie and now the sound is all choppy with ANY DVD not just QL)

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Well it could also be that your drive does not support R2.

He already SAID he plays the discs in his drive. Which means it must be a multiregion drive, otherwise it wouldn't play at all. (Region 2 discs would be locked out.)