Quantum Leap Crossovers

RossBeckett

Project QL Intern
Here's your chance to discuss your ideas for QL crossovers. I think this is a great topic because QL is the kind of show that can be crossed over with almost any show known to man.
Ex. QL/Cold Case; QL/Friends; QL/Pretender, etc.

~Steve(aka RossBeckett)
rossbeckett2002@yahoo.com
:leap

Edit: This was originally posted in the "Topic of the Month" forum and moved here instead.

Re: December 2003- Quantum Leap Crossovers

Ross, no offense, but I think the bartender dude is who picks the topics.

Interesting concept about the crossovers, though. I know you've worked on the "friends" angle for awhile now. I've read a couple crossovers... they end up being really campy for the most part. I DID like the fanfic one I read about the Ghostbusters one though, and thought it was great. Just wished they'd finished it!

In a way, the "Round Robin" stories are a bit like that, as they take multiple writers to tell the story.

I wish that I could remember exactly where it was... where the story is located... but the there was one crossover that I read that was actually quite an awesome undertaking. It had the following in it: X-Files / Highlander / Starman / Quantum Leap. It was an awesome undertaking and there was one scene were there was a (well, I call it this) "What?" scene in it. It was a good one.

But as Matt was saying, I do think that Brian decides what is the topic of the month. I just saw this and remembered this one that I read and it was so good. I wish that I could remember where I saw found it. If I can find it again, that would be a great one to put on Quantum Realities.

Hmmmm *begins rummaging in the gray matter for the drawer that contains the secret in it*

Well, I've mentioned it to a few people, but I might as well mention it again...

I've had a great idea for a QL/Sliders crossover brewing in my head for many years now, but never got around to writing the darn thing. The two shows are so similar, it's scary: each episode revolves around the hero/heroes traveling to a different situation every week with no control over where they go, and they keep hoping their next leap/slide will be the one that brings them back home. This is what initially drew me to Sliders in the first place: how similar it seemed to QL, except instead of traveling through time, the Sliders traveled between parallel universes. And just like in QL, they finally made it home in the 4th season premiere only to have to leave again; Sam began leaping in 1995, Quinn and company began sliding in 1995; Sliders was also distributed by Universal AND it lasted 5 seasons, to boot. It just seems natural and logical for the two series to cross over. Of course, the producers of Sliders really screwed the show up during the last season, but that's another story...

To be honest, I'm still holding off on writing it because of the way I originally envisioned this as. Part 1 is set up like a Sliders episode (with Sam only showing up halfway through) and Part 2 is set up like a QL episode (with a few things in the status quo mixed up to make it interesting). I'm hoping to finally write in some form or another someday for all of you to read. Okay, enough about that. Anyone else?

Oh I know how you feel about having an idea brewing in your head for years! I've had the "A Leap For Rachel" Friends crossover in my head for about 5 years now(I think).:banghead
Anyway, I like your idea for a Sliders crossover! Eerie similarities between the 2 series. Sliders and QL are both owned by Universal and Friends is not. That making it, if not impossible than just really hard to make a Friends/QL crossover and air it on TV. It's much easier to imagine a televised QL/ Sliders crossover.
~Steve(aka RossBeckett)
P.S. My Friends/QL epilogue is done being written! It might better to post the part that I have written of "A Leap For Rachel" in the Round Robin forum.

Re: - Quantum Leap Crossovers

While I agree that a lot of crossover stories are pure hokum,
and few work, I have to say that I too have read one that is absolutely brilliant!

Several years ago I had the privilege of reading a story by a friend I met through the Quantum Quest fanclub, (whom unfortunately, I have now lost touch with).
It was a crossover between QL and Forever Knight, which I had never heard of. The story so intrigued me that I checked the series out to better understand the references, and was hooked.
Leap into Knight has all the elements of a brilliant QL episode, and is very faithful to the characters in both series. It is well written, full of drama and suspense, and a true three hanky weepy!

Enough from me...
any others?

I agree that most crossovers are "pure hokum" or at very least "cheesy".... with that said, I must claim guilty as charged! :lol

I don't take my crossover too seriously - my QL/Enterprise crossover was just a silly little idea that wound up taking a life of its own. There were just too many QL-moments in Enterprise not to do something with it.</plugosity>

QL is just one of those shows that is so easy to cross over into others because of the whole premise of taking part in someone else's life... :)

Just my two cents!
~gelfling

Gelf your QL/Enterprise crossover is the exception that proves the rule!
It is wonderful stuff (and when do we get some more, hint hint)

and on the idea of Sam leaping and looking like Scott Bakula

I never got to read the finished article, but Emma Fee was writing a great story where Sam leaped into Harry D'Amour of 'Lord of Illusions' with the 'cheesy' but witty title of "When Harry Met Sammy"!
If you are out there lurking, Em, how about posting it for us?

OHHHHHHHHH!

I found it!

It's here on Al's Place. BUT that isn't where I had found it the first time.

It's called Witness and it is in the Crossover section in Al's Place.

Take care all!

It was a crossover between QL and Forever Knight, which I had never heard of.

"Forever Knight" is a Canadian drama series about a vampire who is trying to make up for his horrible past by helping people in the present. He's a police officer in Toronto on the night patrol (claiming to be alergic to sunlight :lol ). It's a great show.

I never watched the show when it was originally on in the early '90s (lasted just three seasons), but I have heard of this cross-over story and would love to read it sometime. I've been watching the show when I can on Space, where it is currently airing Monday to Friday at 9:00.

Let me know if you ever come across it!

... Mike. ^_^

As I went on to say, Mike, as a result of the crossover, I checked out Forever Knight when it aired on Sky One, and got hooked.
I have a number of episodes on video, which I would offer to send you, but I believe you guys use NTFS, and mine are all PAL.

Tis a brilliant series, while not as engaging as QL, still well worth checking out.

Yep, I know you did, Helen, I was just explaining the series for those who may not have heard of it or know the premise. <G>

Thanks for the offer :D , but yes, we are on NTFS here. I agree that it's not as engaging as QL by a long shot, but it's still a really good series and has a fan-base quite similar to QL, actually. There is a lot of fan-fiction out there and random pockets of fans. <G> It ran from 1992 to 1996.

... Mike. ^_^

This past Friday(12/12/03) I was watching "Joan Of Arcadia" and near the end of the episode, God(as an older woman) was talking to Joan about the mission that she apparently succeeded at. All she had to do was Observe! Here's a clip from the scene:

Joan: "You're getting really good at showing up when nobody needs you."(Reminds me of Sam talking to Al)

God: "Well, that's your opinion."

Joan: "So, what do you want me to fail at this time?"

God: "Now what makes you think you failed? You did exactly what I asked you to do. You observed."
[Skipping the next line by "Joan"]
God: "Observation is a more powerful force than you can possibly reckon...."
Well, my point is that the scene reminded me of QL!
:hurray
Steve(aka RossBeckett)

*wishing you luck* :D
I only saw the stargate movie, but I can see a number of interesting possibilities. Wanna read it when ready ! :)

jassian said:
*wishing you luck* :D
I only saw the stargate movie, but I can see a number of interesting possibilities. Wanna read it when ready ! :)

It will be a long time coming I'm afraid.
Never written anything but QL, and taking a while to get inside the heads of the SG-1 team. Thankfully I have a megabuff helping me. Even so, it is slow going, but great fun.

leaper1 said:
Even so, it is slow going, but great fun.
I must be patient then :)

I'm also agreeing that a QL/Enterprise crossover would be amazing.
(Although there have been a few QL references in Enterprise, couldn't help but start laughing when Archer said "So you're some kind of time traveler?")

The genetic-match glitch has been fixed by Ziggy hasn't it? Or else they could go with Sam and Archer being related as is joked about a lot. *L* It would be soooo funny!

'Trying to fly the X-2 was one thing.
But I didn't have the first clue about
how to fly a... starship?'

"Whoever is at the ... controls . Just fly us somewhere. "

"Are you well, Captain?"

Captain? ... "oh boy"

LOL I should write this one ! :roflmao:

How about a crossover of all old and new time travel shows, they just all end up at the same event and then get in each other's way? :)

That could also work. I can't really think of any other time travel shows besides Quantum Leap. Of course, I don't often delve into the genre of Science Fiction, so I'm hampered by that fact.

Voyagers springs to mind, does anyone remember that? Or the really old one Austin Powers was a spoof of. What was it called , Time Tunnel ? What else?